[net.philosophy] Mr. Rosen, may I present Mr. Hume

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (08/15/85)

In article <1085@mhuxt.UUCP> js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) writes:

>...it seems that this whole argument
>is a semantic quibble caused by your varying definitions of 'free will'.

At least one person has been reading his Hume.  Wouldn't it be lovely
if everyone had read and digested the classic discussions of a topic
(and some contemporary ones) before discussing it on the net, so that
we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel every time a topic comes up?
(How about net.philosophy.expert? :-)

Today we are fortunate to have a guest lecturer.  Ladies and
gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to present the distinguished
Scottish philosopher and historian David Hume.
______________

Thank you very much.  My discourse to-day treats of the vexed
question of liberty and necessity.

It might reasonably be expected in questions which have been
canvassed and disputed with great eagerness, since the first origin
of science and philosophy, that the meaning of all the terms, at
least, should have been agreed upon among the disputants; and our
enquiries, in the course of two thousand years, been able to pass
from words to the true and real subject of the controversy.  For how
easy may it seem to give exact definitions of the terms employed in
reasoning, and make these definitions, not the mere sound of words,
the object of future scrutiny and examination?  But if we consider
the matter more narrowly, we shall be apt to draw a quite opposite
conclusion.  From this circumstance alone, that a controversy has
been long kept on foot, and remains still undecided, we may presume
that there is some ambiguity in the expression, and that the
disputants affix different ideas to the terms employed in the
controversy.  For as the faculties of the mind are supposed to be
naturally alike in every individual; otherwise nothing could be more
fruitless than to reason or dispute together; it were impossible, if
men affix the same ideas to their terms, that they could so long form
different opinions of the same subject; especially when they
communicate their views, and each party turn themselves on all sides,
in search of arguments which may give them the victory over their
antagonists.  It is true, if men attempt the discussion of questions
which lie entirely beyond the reach of human capacity, such as those
concerning the origin of worlds, or the economy of the intellectual
system or region of spirits, they may long beat the air in their
fruitless contests, and never arrive at any determinate conclusion.
But if the question regard any subject of common life and experience,
nothing, one would think, could preserve the dispute so long
undecided but some ambiguous expressions, which keep the antagonists
still at a distance, and hinder them from grappling with each other.

This has been the case in the long disputed question concerning
liberty and necessity; and to so remarkable a degree that, if I be
not much mistaken, we shall find, that all mankind, both learned and
ignorant, have always been of the same opinion with regard to this
subject, and that a few intelligible definitions would immediately
have put an end to the whole controversy....

		[most of lecture omitted]

...But to proceed in this reconciling project with regard to the
question of liberty and necessity; the most contentious question of
metaphysics, the most contentious science; it will not require many
words to prove, that all mankind have ever agreed in the doctrine of
liberty as well as in that of necessity, and that the whole dispute,
in this respect also, has been hitherto merely verbal.  For what is
meant by liberty, when applied to voluntary actions?  We cannot
surely mean that actions have so little connexion with motives,
inclinations, and circumstances, that one does not follow from the
other, and that one affords no inference by which we can conclude the
existence of the other.  For these are plain and acknowledged matters
of fact.  By liberty, then, we can only mean A POWER OF ACTING OR NOT
ACTING, ACCORDING TO THE DETERMINATIONS OF THE WILL; that is, if we
choose to remain at rest, we may; if we choose to move, we also may.
Now this hypothetical liberty is universally allowed to belong to
every one who is not a prisoner and in chains.  Here, then, is no
subject of dispute.

Whatever definition we may give of liberty, we should be careful to
observe two requisite circumstances; FIRST, that it be consistent
with plain matter of fact; SECONDLY, that it be consistent with
itself.  If we observe these circumstances, and render our definition
intelligible, I am persuaded that all mankind will be found of one
opinion with regard to it.

It is universally allowed that nothing exists without a cause of its
existence, and that chance, when strictly examined, is a mere
negative word, and means not any real power which has anywhere a
being in nature.  But it is pretended that some causes are necessary,
some not necessary.  Here then is the advantage of definitions.  Let
any one DEFINE a cause, without comprehending, as a part of the
definition, a NECESSARY CONNEXION with its effect; and let him show
distinctly the origin of the idea, expressed by the definition; and I
shall readily give up the controversy.  But if the foregoing
explication of the matter be received, this must be absolutely
impracticable.  Had not objects a regular conjunction with each
other, we should never have entertained any notion of cause and
effect; and this regular conjunction produces that inference of the
understanding, which is the only connexion, that we can have any
comprehension of.  Whoever attempts a definition of cause, exclusive
of these circumstances, will be obliged either to employ
unintelligible terms or such as are synonymous to the term which he
endeavours to define.  And if the definition above mentioned be
admitted; liberty, when opposed to necessity, not to constraint, is
the same thing with chance; which is universally allowed to have no
existence....
________________

I hope everyone will do him/herself the favor of reading Hume's
entire discussion in Section VIII of *An Enquiry Concerning Human
Understanding*.  Better yet, read the whole book:  Hume's lovely
prose makes great reading.  I can't resist quoting this passage:

"So that, upon the whole, we may conclude, that the CHRISTIAN
RELIGION not only was at first attended with miracles, but even at
this day cannot be believed by any reasonable person without one.
Mere reason is insufficient to convince us of its veracity:  And
whoever is moved by FAITH to assent to it, is conscious of a
continued miracle in his own person, which subverts all the
principles of his understanding, and gives him a determination to
believe what is most contrary to custom and experience."  [Conclusion
of Section X.]

Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (08/16/85)

I neglected to mention that anyone who reads Hume's discussion of
"liberty and necessity" in *An Enquiry Concerning Human
Understanding* will enjoy reading his earlier treatment of the same
topic in what many consider his best book, *A Treatise of Human
Nature*.  The two accounts are significantly different.

Richard Carnes