[net.philosophy] If that's what you think, why argue?

In article <1509@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:

>If at all.  I don't know where you get my "insistance on pure determinism".
>What I insist on is a little rigorous thinking, not "well this isn't true,
>this bit about determinism, so surely MY idea that I like so much must
>be true".  Perhaps you are wishfully thinking that I am wishfully thinking?

For crying out loud, Rich, that's my whole argument!!!!  We are not
scientifically in a position to decide the question.  And besides, would you
deny the following passage?

>>>Yes, indeed, plenty of
>>>human behavior APPEARS to be random, Charley.  Plenty of lots of things
>>>APPEAR to be random, but on closer examination, we find something holding
>>>it together.  A bit more complex than some people who prefer one-sentence
>>>explanations for things ("God did it!"), but perhaps they're just too lazy
>>>to examine things in that dreaded "scientific" way.  One look at the
>>>universe, one careful look, will show you how many "random" things
>>>really have very simple physical processes at their root, complexly
>>>interweaving with each other to give the illusion of "randomness" to
>>>the casual observer.

You call THAT rigor?

Charley Wingate

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/24/85)

> For crying out loud, Rich, that's my whole argument!!!!  We are not
> scientifically in a position to decide the question.  And besides, would you
> deny the following passage?

> You call THAT rigor? [WINGATE]

I don't think I'll deny what I wrote myself.  Yes, I call this rigorous.
Very much so.  Especially when compared to "We don't understand it, so
rather than examining it further, let's make up a model that conforms to
the way we want the world to be regardless of whatever is found".
--
"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day
 to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human