From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley Sun Jul 28 18:40:18 1985
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 85 15:38:51 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

Subject: Re: Indeterminism

Hurrah for some real light on this whole free-unfree will debate.  It should
have been clear from the start that the more vehement participants of this
exchange haven't been addressing each others' issues at all.  Could I suggest
to the "free willers" that if they want to defuse Rich Rosen's opposition, they
should just follow his demands and use different terminology?  Calling
the object of inquiry "uncoerced choice" instead of "free will" would not give
Rich any reason to drag out his dictionary definitions.
                                                                               -
Chris Roberson    <robchrj@yalevmx.BITNET>
Calhoun College, Yale University

daemon@mit-hermes.ARPA (The devil himself) (07/29/85)

From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley Mon Jul 29 11:17:32 1985
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 85 08:15:57 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

Subject: Re: Puritan morality (legal drinking age)

> One possible reason colleges are banning alcohol is that alcohol abuse is now
> a very widespread problem among students, and the colleges don't want to
> foster the problem in any way.

This seems sensible enough, considering that they're only obeying the law.  I
would be hard pressed to come up with a viable excuse for colleges to allow
their students to *break* the law with impunity.
                                                                               -
> To those of you who object to the 21 drinking age: If you can't enjoy your
> college years and the company of your friends without alcohol or other
> drugs, you are setting yourself up for serious problems later on.  If you
> think it's tough being 20 and dry, wait till you're 40 and alcoholic.

This, on the other hand, is a very good example of the "puritan" (as opposed
to Puritan) morality that we're talking about.  Ignoring the political
questions the law raises (why can I own all the guns I want at 18 but not have
a glass of wine with dinner until 21?), we should ask: does the use of alcohol
or other drugs lead inexorably to addiction/alcoholism/serious problems?  Does
the desire to use alcohol/marijuana/Valium imply that one can't be happy at
all without them?  Does that desire imply weakness of will or moral turpitude?
Is the use of alcohol/drugs evil, or merely unwise, or both, or neither?

I, for one, intend to be neither dry now nor alcoholic later.

Chris Roberson    <robchrj@yalevmx.BITNET>
Calhoun College, Yale University

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?"

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/31/85)

> Could I suggest to the
> "free willers" that if they want to defuse Rich Rosen's opposition, they
> should just follow his demands and use different terminology?  Calling
> the object of inquiry "uncoerced choice" instead of "free will" would not
> give Rich any reason to drag out his dictionary definitions.
> -
> Chris Roberson    <robchrj@yalevmx.BITNET>
> Calhoun College, Yale University

I must be a horrible person for trying to ensure that when two people use
a term in a conversation, they are both talking about the same thing.
Bad, bad Rich!  No more dragging out definitions, instead I'll talk about
free will (using, not the meaning I've understood which seems to be a meaning
shared with dictionary definitions and philosophical systems, but my own
meaning, "hot fudge sauce"), and Paul (or someone else) can talk about free
will (using their definition that describes something entirely different),
and we can both "agree" that free will exists.  Then, they can use their
definition of god (a supreme being which created the universe) and I can
use mine (a shoebox with a bright red stripe along the side), and we can
again both "agree" that god exists.  Next, I can apply the word "unicorn"
to apply to ALL horses, and "prove" that unicorns exist...

No wonder philosophers can't agree on anything.  They have no idea what
the next philosopher is talking about.  Perhaps they could learn a little
something about rigorous definition before engagin in discussion or analysis.
Two people can't analyze a phenomenon and come to conclusions if they're
both operating on different notions of what the phenomenon is.
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

daemon@mit-hermes.ARPA (The devil himself) (08/01/85)

From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley Thu Aug  1 16:42:29 1985
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 85 12:46:19 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

Hi--are you all receiving my memos?  I'm sending to the net through an ARPA
mailing forwarder and I want to be sure that I'm getting through.

Thank you,

C. J. Roberson

Bleakness. . . desolation. . . plastic forks. . .

daemon@mit-hermes.ARPA (The devil himself) (08/02/85)

From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley Thu Aug  1 17:15:25 1985
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 85 12:04:55 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

Subject: Re: an "irrelevant lie"

>> The libertarian assents to claim (2) -- and so is also an 'incompatibilist'
>> -- but rejects claim (1) in favor of an acausal will, or something of the
>> sort.  [MOODY]

> Please stick to claims that are relevant and that you can suport.  Perhaps
> some libertarians fit your claim, but I don't, and having met many
> libertarians I still can say I haven't met one who does.  I did not observe
> anyone who brought up libertarians or libertarianism during the argument     -
> on free will.  Whatever your purpose was, it could not have been honorable,
> or anything or the sort.  The rest of your posting did not deserve your
> drivel.  [HUDSON]

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but Moody was not discussing libertarians
of the political variety.  He was using the word 'libertarian' to refer to
people who believe in free will--that is, liberty.  Considering the context
of the discussion, his usage was not entirely improper; but evidently people
should avoid it in the future, as it may lead to confusion again.

My advice to David Hudson: think first, insult later.  If you had paid more
attention, it would have been clear that Moody did not intend to say anything
about you or your political allies.

Chris Roberson    <robchrj@yalevmx.BITNET>
Calhoun College, Yale University

If our behavior is strict, we do not need fun.

bjanz@watarts.UUCP (Bruce Janz) (08/02/85)

In article <1364@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:

>No wonder philosophers can't agree on anything.  They have no idea what
>the next philosopher is talking about.  Perhaps they could learn a little
>something about rigorous definition before engagin in discussion or analysis.
>Two people can't analyze a phenomenon and come to conclusions if they're
>both operating on different notions of what the phenomenon is.

Actually, according to Quine and his doctrine of ontological relativity,
we will be hard pressed to agree on anything anyway, dictionary or not,
because of the double relativity involved.

         . . .the ontological import of a theory can be determined
         only relative to some further theory or language (itself
         taken at face value) and relative to some choice of how to
         translate or interpret the former in terms of the latter.
         [G. Romanos, _Quine_and_Analytic_Philosophy_, p. 43]
         (this is quite a good summary of Quine's thought)

In normal life this doesn't matter much, but for philosophers it does.
Quine's example is of trying to discover a native's word for rabbit.
You point at a rabbit, and he says "gavagai", and you assume that there
is a one-to-one correspondance between rabbit and gavagai.  However,
you really don't know whether the native is referring to the rabbit,
an undetached rabbit part, or a rabbit stage, because you don't know
his ontology. In fact, we will always run into Aristotle's third man
problem, since there is never something to which we can objectively
appeal for our definition -- it always relies on some prior agreement
on language.  Thus, you can talk all you want about agreeing on
definitions for free will, but if Quine is correct (and I think he is),
it will still only be a provisional agreement, based on some prior
agreement on language, which is based on an agreement before that (and so
on, and so on . . .).

Quine talks about this in several essays in _From_A_Logical_Point_of_View_
(like "On What There Is" and "Two Dogmas of Empiricism"), and especially
in the essay "Ontological Relativity", in _Ontological_Relativity_And_Other
_Essays_.

Sorry to break into your debate on free will, but I thought something new
needed to be added to this group.

--

Reality is for those who have no imagination. . .

          watmath!watarts!bjanz     OR     watmath!watdcs!bbjanz

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (08/03/85)

>I must be a horrible person for trying to ensure that when two people use
>a term in a conversation, they are both talking about the same thing.
>Bad, bad Rich!

    But your definition of `free' is so strange! I most certainly agree with
    you that nobody can be TOTALLY free of ALL INFLUENCE, except for perhaps
    the most anarchic mystics and wild residents of the bozone.

    No argument whatsover.

    But `relatively free' IS a meaningful term, unlike `relatively pregnant'.

    Freedom is NOT an on/off situation.

    Even physicists speak of `degrees of freedom'.

    SMASH CAUSALITY!!!

        Strikes at the source of daily confusion
	Eliminates ignorant fantasy
	Scrubbing your senses free of illusion
	Enjoy the taste of reality
		Reality Calypso
		Benjamin Bunny Faces Reality -- Randy Hann
-michael

daemon@mit-hermes.ARPA (The devil himself) (08/05/85)

From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley Sun Aug  4 18:28:26 1985
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 85 15:26:36 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

Hi everybody--are you receiving my postings?  I can't tell.

C. J. Roberson

daemon@mit-hermes.ARPA (The devil himself) (08/06/85)

From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley Tue Aug  6 15:49:11 1985
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 85 12:47:28 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

> I must be a horrible person for trying to ensure that when two people use a
> term in a conversation, they are both talking about the same thing.  Bad,
> bad Rich!  No more dragging out definitions. . .

Obviously, I've been misunderstood.  My point was that we've all understood
Rich's objections to the concept of absolute free will for quite some time.  It
is clear that Rich and Paul Torek and others are not discussing the same thing.
It might be helpful to terminate this endless debate by conceding a victory    -
(of sorts) to Rich by abandoning the terminology he objects to.  That's all...

Chris Roberson    <robchrj@yalevmx.BITNET>
Calhoun College, Yale University
----
Vienne la nuit Sonne l'heure Les jours s'en vont Je demeure

mmar@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Mitchell Marks) (08/07/85)

> Sorry to break into your debate on free will, but I thought something new
> needed to be added to this group.
>

> --
>

>           watmath!watarts!bjanz     OR     watmath!watdcs!bbjanz

Hear hear!  Anyone else for shoving that argument into net.philosophy.freewill
and leaving this parent newsgroup open for other things?
--

            -- Mitch Marks @ UChicago
               ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mmar

daemon@mit-hermes.ARPA (The devil himself) (08/07/85)

From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley Wed Aug  7 15:14:26 1985
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 85 11:41:49 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

> What I was trying to demonstrate is how an unmeasurable influence can affect
> your behaviour.  This is a good example of a decision that has a high degree
> of freedom.

It's a very good example, because it pinpoints exactly where Rich Rosen and
his opponents have been clashing.  Rich would have us believe that there is no
such thing as "free" will because the brain, like anything else, is part of
the system of cause and effect; hence our decisions are caused, not free.  This-
is not really true, since our brains operate on a scale that can be affected
by random quantum events.

This probably isn't much consolation to the people (whether or not they are
represented on the net) who would like to believe in absolute autonomy of the
will, a will neither caused nor random.  It remains to be shown that the
absence of determinism means anything other than the presence of randomness.

Chris Roberson    <robchrj@yalevmx.BITNET>
Calhoun College, Yale University
----
They collapsed....like nuns in the street....they had no teen appeal!

daemon@mit-hermes.ARPA (The devil himself) (08/17/85)

From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU Fri Aug 16 18:12:30 1985
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 85 15:09:45 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

Subject: Re: A cross-posting request

>>    2) Faith (an idiotic part) is the essence of
>>       religion.  (Faith is the practice of claiming
>>       truth without evidence.  I am not concerned
>>       with other meanings of the word, like "trust".)

>      By your definition, then, Christianity is not a religion.
> (I'm using Christianity for the sake of sticking to what I know.)  Evidence
> for my assertion internal to the system:  in I Corinthians, Paul talks about -
> the resurrection of Jesus, because some people were going into the church
> and claiming that there was no resurrection of the dead, and not even Jesus
> rose from the dead.
>      Paul didn't say, believe because I said so.  He didn't say,
> it's written on the sky, and if you can't read it, it's because you don't
> have enough of this mythical 'faith.'  He gave what, in your definition, is a
> completely NON-religious answer:  "There are nearly 500 living witnesses to
> the public death and equally public post-resurrection appearances of Jesus;
> go and ask *them* what *they* saw!"

The first time I encountered this argument was in a book by someone (I forget
the name) who appears to be in charge of Apologetics for the Campus Crusade
for Christ.  He phrased the argument in very much the same way, and also gave
an analogy to courtroom method.  Here are twelve people who along with many
others saw Jesus executed in a public place; and yet they claim that they have
seen him alive.  Other people have seen him alive too.  Are we going to claim
that they are all crazy, or lying?  Is this not good, incontrovertible
evidence for the actual resurrection of Jesus?  This doesn't require 'faith':
it's eyewitness evidence, just like the eyewitness evidence that is used to
determine the truth every day in courts of law.

I'll confess I was dumbfounded for a couple of days after this.  It's one
thing to say that the Bible, like any text, can be mistaken; but it's another
to say that hundreds of people who claim that they'd seen a
miracle like this could be lying or mistaken.  After all, as he said, we
believe a lot of stranger things on the basis of one eyewitness, or just
because some scientist published it in a journal.

I thought for a while that I'd just been logically forced to join the Campus
Crusade for Christ until it occurred to me exactly what sort of eyewitness
we were talking about.  Jesus and his disciples lived in Israel under the
Roman occupation.  This is well known, but people don't always understand
what it implies.  Israel at the time was seething with rebellion.  Jewish
nationalist movements and conspiracies were everywhere.  And self-proclaimed
messiahs were everywhere.  Less than fifty years after Jesus died, one such
messiah, Manahem, led a rebellion that eventually led to the destruction of the
Temple and the mass suicide at Masada.  And in 132, Bar Kochva (Son of a Star)
managed to revolt and set up an independent Jewish state that lasted for three
years until the Romans crushed it and instituted the Diaspora.

To sum up: the Jews at that time were primed and ready for a messiah to
appear.  They thought that John the Baptist was the Messiah (remember how the
crowds kept asking if Jesus was actually John?), they thought that Jesus was
the Messiah; there were at least five other messiahs executed by Rome between
40 B.C. and 73 A.D.  In such a time of tumult, fanaticism, and social unrest,
perhaps it would be wise to take "eyewitness reports" with a grain of salt.

To take a modern example: do any of you know members of the Unification
Church?  If you do, can you imagine how many of them would be willing to swear
to miracles that they had seen performed before their very eyes?  Or perhaps
you remember that Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, a famous and well-respected
psychologist, went on record as saying that she had had sexual intercourse
with spirits from another plane of existence.  I don't mean to equate these
with Christian teachings; I just want to point out that people have seen and
said some pretty strange things in the past.  It's hard to say that we should
believe Paul and the others without asking why we shouldn't also pay attention
to the many miracles and auguries of, say, pagan times.  And to complete the
analogy to legal procedure: I can think of few courts of law that would rule
that someone had been raised from the dead, even with the testimony of five
hundred witnesses.  (Especially if those witnesses all had strong religious
and political motives to have seen what they claimed to see.)

Incidentally, on the question of faith: even if we grant that Jesus said and
did what the gospels say, and that he was raised from the dead, there is still
the question of what it all means.  Consider the following hypothesis:  there
is an all-powerful Evil Deity who created us so he could watch us suffer.  He
resurrected Jesus and gave his word such veracity so that Christians would go
into the next world all hopeful and be even more remorseful when they
discovered that they had been wrong all along.  Christianity is just something
to make us more miserable in the long run.

Of course I don't believe this, but it is logically consistent with the facts.
And I feel compelled to point out that even though both Christianity and
the Evil Deity are possible, no one wants to believe in the Evil Deity.  In
fact, I don't know of any religion that proclaims that we will pass through
this vale of tears in order to get to a worse place.

Chris Roberson    <robchrj@yalevmx.BITNET>
Calhoun College, Yale University
----
..in a grip-like vise...

daemon@mit-hermes.ARPA (The devil himself) (08/17/85)

From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU Fri Aug 16 18:18:01 1985
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 85 15:03:27 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

Subject: Occam (?)

I've seen a lot of references to Occam, Occam's razor, etc., lately.  Shouldn't
that be 'Ockham,' as in William of Ockham?

Christopher Roberson
Calhoun College, Yale University
----
Osmonds!  You are all Osmonds!  Throwing up on a freeway at dawn!

daemon@mit-hermes.ARPA (The devil himself) (08/17/85)

From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU Fri Aug 16 18:46:06 1985
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 85 15:04:32 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

Subject: Re: Souls

> Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How about NOTHING survives????  How about
> we die completely?  Why is there this need for continuity?  That's precisely
> the point!  It's YOUR assumption that life after death implies survival of
> death.  On what metaphysical basis do you intend to prove this?
>
> Charley Wingate

I don't have any problem with 'nothing survives'; I don't even have a problem
with a Christian proclaiming that 'nothing survives' (see Charles Hartshorne
for a Christian view of mortality -- incidentally, are you a Unitarian,
Charley?  Just curious); but I do wonder what 'life after death' means if it
doesn't mean that we survive death.  Could you please explain further?

Christopher Roberson
Calhoun College, Yale University
----
..it's the death that's worse than fate...

daemon@mit-hermes.ARPA (The devil himself) (08/26/85)

From ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley Sun Aug 25 19:54:35 1985
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 85 16:51:38 pdt
From: ROBCHRJ%YALEVMX.BITNET@Berkeley
Apparently-To: <net-philosophy-post@mit-hermes.ARPA>

Subject: Continuity of life and the afterlife
 <483@spar.UUCP> <599@utastro.UUCP>

[Houlihan]
>> 1) Let A be life before death, and B life after death,
>> 2) we have X at A where X is the 'we' in 'we are resurrected'
>> 3) we have X at B where X is the 'we' in 'we are resurrected'
>>
>>These assumptions are implicit in the resurrection claim.  These are not
>>being challenged here.  Now X forms an uninterrupted succession, therefore
>>it is continuous.

As has been pointed out several times, this is not so.  Let me put this in
terms perhaps a bit more appropriate to the discussion of life after death:

Assume that there is a supernatural being ("God") capable of a lot of things
that are at present deemed impossible (reversing entropy, etc.).  Assume that
Jane Doe is dying.  If at the moment of her death, God memorizes the positions
of every atom in her body, he can (we assume) recreate that same body at some
point in the future.  If in the year 80,000, God does so, and prevents her
from dying this time, restores health, youth, etc. without destroying her
memory, is she the same Jane Doe?

If we agree that this is in fact Jane Doe, then her life is not continuous,
and the only thing that is continuous between her death and her rebirth is the
*information* about her bodily makeup that is in God's mind.  Hence we do not
need to assume that there is any such thing as a soul, unless you want to call
that information Jane's soul.

Of course, the assumptions made in the argument are (at least) in need of
substantiation.  But I think it can be granted that resurrection of this sort
would not require any such entity as the soul to take place.

Christopher Roberson