[net.philosophy] External Influences

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (01/01/70)

In article <636@mmintl.UUCP> franka@mmintl.UUCP (Frank Adams) writes:
>Yes, one can get a consistent definition of free will in this way [by
>considering "external influences" to refer to those *currently* influencing
>objects which are external to the person --pvt].  But you don't want it.
>It obliges to grant that my computer, which is a running a program
>I entered and commanded it to run some time ago, is exhibiting free will.

Nay, there's a difference.  An act of "free will" is caused by a *conscious
mind*.  (By the way, I've thought about T. Dave Hudson's argument that
free will should be *defined* via the notion of activity caused by a
conscious mind; and that r-e-a should not be built into the definition of
free will but should be part of the explanation of it, as one of the
conditions for it.  (I hope I represent his views accurately.)  Mr. Hudson,
take a bow:  you've convinced me (no easy feat! :->).)

--Paul V Torek, Bill Honig Fan Club
(Bill Honig is California's Superintendent of Public Instruction; recently
California rejected high school science texts because publishers had played
down evolution under pressure from fundamentalists)

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (08/30/85)

>>>I think we are dealing in the same definition of free here:  unconstrained
>>>by dependencies on other things. [RLR]
>
>> 	The definition I use is "unconstrained by *external*
>> factors", that is "not controlled from *without*". This definition
>> is in my dictionary(American Heritage Collegiate) and is the one used
>> by a number of major philosophers when talking about human will.  It
>> differs from yours in the emphasized words, and this makes a large
>> difference in requirements for the existence of free will. [Friesen]
>
>Hardly.  Since the current configuration of the mind is determined (more
>than just slightly) by external experiences, is that not an external
>constraint?  I'd really like to know why you can so easily dismiss this
>by saying "oh, but that's in the past, we're talking about right now",
>as if it was somehow exempt. [Rosen]

    But the past DOES NOT EXIST any more. The past has turned into the
    present moment.

    You have not recognized that a phenomenon can be described in two
    different ways:

    (1) Instantaneously, as a time slice -- in which case, all past
	experiences have been incorporated into the present moment, via
	memories, structure, momentum, impinging causes etc. External in
	this case can only mean that which is physically outside of the
	entity in question, but entirely within the current timeslice
	(assuming materialistic metaphysics).

    (2) As a Godlike viewer, examining all events transpiring within
        an interval of time, in which case, external means outside
	of the entity's `world tube'.

    Neither method of description is incorrect -- in principle, given
    a suitable instantaneous definition of a phenomenon, one ought to
    be able to examine the structure of its worldtube.

    Now Mr. Friesen is speaking in instantaneous terms; therefore, Rich,
    your comments about past experiences are irrelevant, unless you
    restate them in present-moment terms (eg - memories, habits, momentum,
    impinging causes..).

>And even if it were, aren't there events
>going on right now in the external world that affect the current decision?
>How much light there is in the room.  How hot it is.  What sights, sounds,
>smells, etc. happen to be around you at the time.  Don't those factors
>alter your choice of action?  Is it really free?

    Very good points.

    The actual state of the environment does not directly affect me
    until it encounters the causal nexus -- the point where cause meets
    effect. Exactly where do we draw this arbitrary boundary where causal
    chains cross from external to internal (or vice versa)?

    Most input must pass from its initial neural encounter through many
    transformations including some fairly high-level interpretations before
    `I' actually become aware of it. Some knee-jerk items elicit immediate
    and totally unwilled response -- and these are typically not considered
    to be the actions of `free will'.

    The filtering of one's internal data structuring mechanisms is powerful.
    For instance, a red ace of spades among normal cards is usually seen
    as an ace of hearts.  Preconceptions and low level sensory habits all
    work to shield one's carefully evolved internal structures (intentions,
    semantics, beliefs..) and thereby maintain psychological coherence.

    Most causal chains from the outside are dispersed or deflected before
    they go very deep.  We see what we want to see, thereby providing a
    sanctuary from causality wherein internal entities can either evolve or
    fossilize, relatively untouched from external constraint.

    What kinds of entities? Not physical objects, but rather, externally
    perceivable patterns of behavior that can be born, remain inflexible or
    grow, and die, things like habits, preferences, purposes, etc. As
    nonphysical entities, they are largely unaffected by most physical
    forces.

    For example, I will probably like music until I die, whatever else may
    happen. Brainwashing techniques could alter that. Taking advantage of
    this vulnerability by force of self will, it is possible to plant,
    encourage, or thwart the patterns and filters that create subjective
    reality. Free will should at times resemble a self-modifying B.F.Skinner
    in order to escape the constraints of habit and other unwanted relics
    from the past.

    We are usually in autopilot, performing mundane rituals. I think free
    will is normally a dormant trait, a kind of spontaneous integrity that
    rises out from the depths, like the Russian legend Ilya Mourometz, who
    awakes from literally monolithic slumber as necessary to alter destiny,
    ideally with force appropriate to the severity of the decision at hand.

    Free will does NOT mean insensitivity to experience. On the contrary, it
    means transforming impinging causes into creative action thereby
    infusing one's character into causal chains that may well return as
    future experiences.  Consequently, we blend into our evolving feedback
    loops, and, if we act in goodwill (whatever that is), external events
    become healthy extensions of self.  For example, the acts of close
    friends and lovers are events I usually wish to be affected by.

    Most importantly, free will entails the ability to explore unknown
    regions where one is certain to be bombarded by external CAUSES, hardly
    the same as CONSTRAINTS. Don't most people want to experience new
    things?

    Even a fatal blunderer who, falling from a cliff, faces immediate and
    certain annihilation, can be totally free. With impeccable free will,
    you would take care not to overlook the delicate beauty of any
    fortuitously blossoming flowers you passed on the way down...

    You see, with free will, all is possible!

>> And that same dictionary defines free will as "the power or
>> discretion to choose" and "man's choices are ... not determined by
>> *external* causes", which definitions clearly are based on the
>> definitions I am using, not the more restrictive one you are using.
>
>They're only "more restrictive" in that I don't nonchalantly exempt
>past external influences because they interfere with my conclusion.
>And given the other examples I offer above, they don't work even if
>you could just exempt the past.

    The past does not exist. It has become the present.

-blissfully nonexistent

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/04/85)

>>Hardly.  Since the current configuration of the mind is determined (more
>>than just slightly) by external experiences, is that not an external
>>constraint?  I'd really like to know why you can so easily dismiss this
>>by saying "oh, but that's in the past, we're talking about right now",
>>as if it was somehow exempt. [Rosen]

>     But the past DOES NOT EXIST any more. The past has turned into the
>     present moment.  [ELLIS]

I find it amazing that you quote science when it serves your purposes and
deny it when it doesn't.  How convenient.  "The past doesn't exist any
more" is a meaningless statement, and quite incorrect in the global
>4-dimensional universe we live in.  Whether you're a determinist or a many
worldist or a whimsicalist.  Furthermore, it "exists" in the same sense that
other things whose existence you speak out for exist:  in the mind.  As
surely as beauty and love exist in mind constructs, so does the past.  And it's
that very existence that determines current action, no?

>     You have not recognized that a phenomenon can be described in two
>     different ways:
>     (1) Instantaneously, as a time slice -- in which case, all past
> 	experiences have been incorporated into the present moment, via
> 	memories, structure, momentum, impinging causes etc. External in
> 	this case can only mean that which is physically outside of the
> 	entity in question, but entirely within the current timeslice
> 	(assuming materialistic metaphysics).
>     (2) As a Godlike viewer, examining all events transpiring within
>         an interval of time, in which case, external means outside
> 	of the entity's `world tube'.

I think it's YOU who doesn't recognize this, since you asserted that the past
"no longer exists".

>     Now Mr. Friesen is speaking in instantaneous terms; therefore, Rich,
>     your comments about past experiences are irrelevant, unless you
>     restate them in present-moment terms (eg - memories, habits, momentum,
>     impinging causes..).

Which of course is exactly what I do.  Had the past been different, you would
be acting differently today.

>>And even if it were, aren't there events
>>going on right now in the external world that affect the current decision?
>>How much light there is in the room.  How hot it is.  What sights, sounds,
>>smells, etc. happen to be around you at the time.  Don't those factors
>>alter your choice of action?  Is it really free?

>     Very good points.
>     The actual state of the environment does not directly affect me
>     until it encounters the causal nexus -- the point where cause meets
>     effect. Exactly where do we draw this arbitrary boundary where causal
>     chains cross from external to internal (or vice versa)?

When they begin having effect.

>     Most input must pass from its initial neural encounter through many
>     transformations including some fairly high-level interpretations before
>     `I' actually become aware of it. Some knee-jerk items elicit immediate
>     and totally unwilled response -- and these are typically not considered
>     to be the actions of `free will'.

And more strung out decisions and actions.  In what way are they different
except in that the process lasts longer.

>     The filtering of one's internal data structuring mechanisms is powerful.
>     For instance, a red ace of spades among normal cards is usually seen
>     as an ace of hearts.  Preconceptions and low level sensory habits all
>     work to shield one's carefully evolved internal structures (intentions,
>     semantics, beliefs..) and thereby maintain psychological coherence.

Congrats!  You have hit upon the reason why subjective experience is discarded
from analysis if it is not supported by evidence.

>     Most causal chains from the outside are dispersed or deflected before
>     they go very deep.  We see what we want to see, thereby providing a
>     sanctuary from causality wherein internal entities can either evolve or
>     fossilize, relatively untouched from external constraint.
>     What kinds of entities? Not physical objects, but rather, externally
>     perceivable patterns of behavior that can be born, remain inflexible or
>     grow, and die, things like habits, preferences, purposes, etc. As
>     nonphysical entities, they are largely unaffected by most physical
>     forces.

This is news to me.  Such habits and such may become so ingrained as to
stagnate, but it would seem that the way they got there in the first place
is the issue here.

>     For example, I will probably like music until I die, whatever else may
>     happen. Brainwashing techniques could alter that. Taking advantage of
>     this vulnerability by force of self will, it is possible to plant,
>     encourage, or thwart the patterns and filters that create subjective
>     reality. Free will should at times resemble a self-modifying B.F.Skinner
>     in order to escape the constraints of habit and other unwanted relics
>     from the past.

Interesting analogy.  Grabbing on to such control of one's own mind in a
Skinnerian is only a slight exaggeration of the type of self-control that Paul
and I have described from time to time.  But such a process is learned (or not)
by people.  And the degree to which it is learned (can anyone learn it
perfectly?) determines the degree of control.  Still, in what way is this
an example of free will?  I think (and I agree very strongly with the notion)
that this is something we DO have (as opposed to free will as defined
rigorously), and something EXTREMELY worth cultivating and utilizing.  But
why call it free will when the definition doesn't apply?  Emotional attachment
to the term?  I think language usage takes priority over such things.

>     We are usually in autopilot, performing mundane rituals. I think free
>     will is normally a dormant trait, a kind of spontaneous integrity that
>     rises out from the depths, like the Russian legend Ilya Mourometz, who
>     awakes from literally monolithic slumber as necessary to alter destiny,
>     ideally with force appropriate to the severity of the decision at hand.

Nice legend.  Still, free will by the rigorous definition requires a means
of control external to internal chemical makeup.  If you believe that, fine.
If not, then free will is a moot point.  But R-E-A (or whatever better term
might describe for self-modifying Skinnerizing) does exist and can be utilized.

>     Free will does NOT mean insensitivity to experience. On the contrary, it
>     means transforming impinging causes into creative action thereby
>     infusing one's character into causal chains that may well return as
>     future experiences.  Consequently, we blend into our evolving feedback
>     loops, and, if we act in goodwill (whatever that is), external events
>     become healthy extensions of self.  For example, the acts of close
>     friends and lovers are events I usually wish to be affected by.
>     Most importantly, free will entails the ability to explore unknown
>     regions where one is certain to be bombarded by external CAUSES, hardly
>     the same as CONSTRAINTS. Don't most people want to experience new
>     things?

R-E-A (or some other term for self-modifying behavior modification... SBM?)
has these characteristics and does exist.

>     Even a fatal blunderer who, falling from a cliff, faces immediate and
>     certain annihilation, can be totally free. With impeccable free will,
>     you would take care not to overlook the delicate beauty of any
>     fortuitously blossoming flowers you passed on the way down...

What being able to notice the beauty of it all as you plummet to your death
has to do with free will escapes me, Michael.

>     You see, with free will, all is possible!

As with Santa Claus.  Unfortunately, neither is for real.

>>> And that same dictionary defines free will as "the power or
>>> discretion to choose" and "man's choices are ... not determined by
>>> *external* causes", which definitions clearly are based on the
>>> definitions I am using, not the more restrictive one you are using.

>>They're only "more restrictive" in that I don't nonchalantly exempt
>>past external influences because they interfere with my conclusion.
>>And given the other examples I offer above, they don't work even if
>>you could just exempt the past.

>     The past does not exist. It has become the present.

No it hasn't, Michael.  It exists just as much as your beauty and love and
music.  Likewise, it cannot be touched.  But it would seem that the past
still exists, whether "currently" in a >4D universe or in its effects on
the present.
--
"iY AHORA, INFORMACION INTERESANTE ACERCA DE... LA LLAMA!"
	Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

In article <492@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:

>    But the past DOES NOT EXIST any more. The past has turned into the
>    present moment.
>
>    You have not recognized that a phenomenon can be described in two
>    different ways:
>
>    (1) Instantaneously, as a time slice -- in which case, all past
>	experiences have been incorporated into the present moment, via
>	memories, structure, momentum, impinging causes etc. External in
>	this case can only mean that which is physically outside of the
>	entity in question, but entirely within the current timeslice
>	(assuming materialistic metaphysics).
>
>    (2) As a Godlike viewer, examining all events transpiring within
>        an interval of time, in which case, external means outside
>	of the entity's `world tube'.
>
>    Neither method of description is incorrect -- in principle, given
>    a suitable instantaneous definition of a phenomenon, one ought to
>    be able to examine the structure of its worldtube.
>
>    Now Mr. Friesen is speaking in instantaneous terms; therefore, Rich,
>    your comments about past experiences are irrelevant, unless you
>    restate them in present-moment terms (eg - memories, habits, momentum,
>    impinging causes..).

Yes, one can get a consistent definition of free will in this way.  But you
don't want it.  It obliges to grant that my computer, which is a running a
program I entered and commanded it to run some time ago, is exhibiting free
will.

... on the other hand, if you are going to allow memories of past events to
count as external factors, you have given away the whole argument.

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (09/10/85)

>>    But the past DOES NOT EXIST any more. The past has turned into the
>>    present moment...
>>    Now Mr. Friesen is speaking in instantaneous terms; therefore, Rich,
>>    your comments about past experiences are irrelevant, unless you
>>    restate them in present-moment terms (eg - memories, habits, momentum,
>>    impinging causes..). [ME]
>
>Yes, one can get a consistent definition of free will in this way.  But you
>don't want it.  It obliges to grant that my computer, which is a running a
>program I entered and commanded it to run some time ago, is exhibiting free
>will. [Frank Adams]

    Sorry about any confusion -- the part you quoted from my article was
    hardly an argument for free will. It was only an attempt to clarify a
    disagreement about effects and past events that, I believe, arose from
    Sarima's (3-D timeslice) and Rich's (4-D worldtube) differing
    viewpoints.

>... on the other hand, if you are going to allow memories of past events to
>count as external factors, you have given away the whole argument.

    Sorry again -- I'll try once more...

	What remains of past experiences has been incorporated into one's
	memory, habits, etc...  They were only external influences when they
	crossed from external to internal.

	Exactly where they `cross the boundary' and become integrated into
	the person is arbitrary, though I suggested later in the same
	article that this point occurs at the moment of one first
	becomes aware of the experience.

    Anyway, external or not, pleasant memories, knowledge, skills, good
    habits, etc, increase one's freedom by opening the mind to healthy and
    varied interests.

    In fact, LACK of past experiences -- parental neglect, poor education,
    insufficient human contact, boredom, etc -- is probably as constraining to
    personal freedom as traumatic or bitter experience.

    Finally, the strict Behaviorist belief that past experience totally
    determines one's actions is NOT fact.

-michael

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/13/85)

>>... on the other hand, if you are going to allow memories of past events to
>>count as external factors, you have given away the whole argument.

>     Sorry again -- I'll try once more...
> 	What remains of past experiences has been incorporated into one's
> 	memory, habits, etc...  They were only external influences when they
> 	crossed from external to internal.
> 	Exactly where they `cross the boundary' and become integrated into
> 	the person is arbitrary, though I suggested later in the same
> 	article that this point occurs at the moment of one first
> 	becomes aware of the experience.
>     Anyway, external or not, pleasant memories, knowledge, skills, good
>     habits, etc, increase one's freedom by opening the mind to healthy and
>     varied interests.

I wouldn't call it "freedom".  What is increased is our flexibility in action,
that which makes us different from supposedly lower animals.  What Torek and
I have referred to as rational evaluative analysis of stored knowledge
constructs (possibly not even at a conscious level).  The moment one first
becomes aware is an arbitrary point indeed, because the stored experience may
have an effect on your decision making without your being aware of it at a
conscious level. But, back to the original point, calling it freedom sounds
Orwellian to me, because clearly we are "free" only to do what our experiences
and mind constructs lead us to do.  This may be perceived as a "conscious
choice" if the monitoring brain happens to be monitoring that process (i.e.,
is conscious of it), but...

>     In fact, LACK of past experiences -- parental neglect, poor education,
>     insufficient human contact, boredom, etc -- is probably as constraining to
>     personal freedom as traumatic or bitter experience.

But there's no difference at all.  One case constrains you to do one set of
things, the other constrains you to do another.

>     Finally, the strict Behaviorist belief that past experience totally
>     determines one's actions is NOT fact.

So, what is "fact" here?  If "strict" behaviorism is not true, what are you
assuming to be true.  I assume that by "strict behaviorism" you mean that
all our behaviors are determined by things in our brains, which were
accumulated as a result of past experiences, which were...  If not this, what?
--
"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day
 to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/18/85)

>>Yes, one can get a consistent definition of free will in this way [by
>>considering "external influences" to refer to those *currently* influencing
>>objects which are external to the person --pvt].  But you don't want it.
>>It obliges to grant that my computer, which is a running a program I
>>entered and commanded it to run some time ago, is exhibiting free will.[ADAMS]

> Nay, there's a difference.  An act of "free will" is caused by a *conscious
> mind*.  (By the way, I've thought about T. Dave Hudson's argument that
> free will should be *defined* via the notion of activity caused by a
> conscious mind; and that r-e-a should not be built into the definition of
> free will but should be part of the explanation of it, as one of the
> conditions for it.  (I hope I represent his views accurately.)  Mr. Hudson,
> take a bow:  you've convinced me (no easy feat! :->).) [TOREK]

Great.  An act of free will is causes by a conscious mind.  (Never mind the
fact that it has nothing to do with the definition, but Eric Blair said
redefining words would be the status quo by just around last year...)  And
how do you now define a conscious mind, as opposed to something else?  Does
a cat have a conscious mind?  "Why, no, it doesn't have free will, so it can't
be..."  (Or maybe it does this week...)  Round and round and round and it comes
out at square one.
--
"There!  I've run rings 'round you logically!"
"Oh, intercourse the penguin!"			Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (09/20/85)

>>..It obliges to grant that my computer, which is a running a program
>>I entered and commanded it to run some time ago, is exhibiting free will.
> Frank Adams
>
>Nay, there's a difference.  An act of "free will" is caused by a *conscious
>mind*.  (By the way, I've thought about T. Dave Hudson's argument that
>free will should be *defined* via the notion of activity caused by a
>conscious mind; and that r-e-a should not be built into the definition of
>free will but should be part of the explanation of it, as one of the
>conditions for it.  (I hope I represent his views accurately.)  Mr. Hudson,
>take a bow:  you've convinced me (no easy feat! :->).)
> Paul V Torek

    Rational decision by a conscious mind. Sounds familiar. Oh yes..

>    Kant:
>	..But the very same subject, being on the other hand conscious
>	of himself as a thing-in-itself, considers his existence also in so
>	far as it is not subject to time-conditions, and he regards himself
>	as determinable only through laws which he gives himself through
>	reason. And to be determinable through self-imposed laws is to be
>	free. [History of Philosophy, Copleston]

   Still, I have a problem with the notion that freedom is self-conscious
   rational choice. All that logic-chopping can be numbing, and, in excess,
   may become yet another constraint on personal freedom.

   The freest minds I know can be brutally self-scrutinizing as appropriate,
   yet otherwise follow spontaneous impulse as effortlessly as a frog might
   splash into an old pond.

   These additional definitions may help to clarify the issue:

    Chuang Tzu:
	Freedom derives from the abandonment of fixed goals, the dissolution
	of rigid categories and launching out of the confines of self so
	that one may respond anew to the totality of every new situation
	[Inner Chapters, AC Graham]
    Bergson:
	Free will is the breathing manifestation and unpredictable
	creativity of evolution: Evolution is truly creative, like the
	work of an artist. An impulse to action, as undefined want, exists
	beforehand, but until the want is satisfied, it is impossible to
	know how nature will satisfy it. For example, we may suppose some
	vague desire in sightless animals to be able to be aware of objects
	before theywere in contact with them. This led to efforts which
	finally which finally resulted in the creation of eyes. Sight could
	not have been imagined beforehand. For this reason, evolution
	[even within an individual] is unpredictable, and determinism cannot
	refute advocates of free will.
	[History of Western Philosophy, Bertrand Russell]
    Sartre:
        The characteristic of the for-itself implies that it is being which
	finds no help, no pillar of support in what it WAS. The for-itself
	is free and can make the world exist because the for-itself is the
        being which has to be what it is in light of what will be. Therefore
	the freedom of the for-itself appears as its being.. We shall never
	experience ourselves except as choice in making. Freedom is simply
	the fact that this choice is always unconditioned.. Such choice
	without basis yet dictating its own purposes is absurd.
	[20th Century to Wittgenstein and Sartre, WT Jones]
    Feyerabend:
	Who needs free will? Freedom entails absence of elitist control
	and the encouragement of cultural pluralism -- separate religion
	(including science) from state!
    Smullyan:
        Once you can see the so-called "you" and the so-called "nature" as a
	continuous whole, then you can never again be bothered by such
	questions as whether it is you who are controlling nature or nature
	who is controlling you. [contributed by Richard Carnes]
    Campbell:
	Free will irreduceably exists without rationale; to account for it
	would be a contradiction in terms, it is ex hypothesi the sort of
	thing for which an explanation is absurd.
    Pu Jen:
	Enjoy that which you despise -- you don't exist anyway.
    Compton:
	Free will is plastic control: not just chance, but rather the result
	of a subtle interplay between something almost random or haphazard,
	and something like a restrictive or selective control -- such as a
	goal or a standard -- though certainly not a cast-iron control.
	[Objective Knowledge, Karl Popper]
    Gandhi:
	The first thing of all and the most important of all is the inner
	unity, the overcoming and healing of inner division, the consequent
	spiritual and personal freedom, of which autonomy and liberty would
	be consequences. [Gandhi on NonViolence, Thomas Merton]

    "Carry data chop logic"
     Ordinary men are so bright and intelligent!

-michael

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (09/20/85)

>>>... on the other hand, if you are going to allow memories of past events to
>>>count as external factors, you have given away the whole argument. [Frank?]

>>     Sorry again -- I'll try once more...
>> 	What remains of past experiences has been incorporated into one's
>> 	memory, habits, etc...  They were only external influences when they
>> 	crossed from external to internal.
>> 	Exactly where they `cross the boundary' and become integrated into
>> 	the person is arbitrary, though I suggested later in the same
>> 	article that this point occurs at the moment of one first
>> 	becomes aware of the experience.
>>     Anyway, external or not, pleasant memories, knowledge, skills, good
>>     habits, etc, increase one's freedom by opening the mind to healthy and
>>     varied interests. [ME]

>I wouldn't call it "freedom".  What is increased is our flexibility in
>action, that which makes us different from supposedly lower animals.  What
>Torek and I have referred to as rational evaluative analysis of stored
>knowledge constructs (possibly not even at a conscious level). [Rich]

    I wouldn't call it free will either; however, those who stress
    rationality as the highest possible virtue would be entirely
    justified in selecting r-e-a as their definition of free will.

>The moment one first becomes aware is an arbitrary point indeed, because the
>stored experience may have an effect on your decision making without your
>being aware of it at a conscious level.

    Fine! As long as the effect is to increase my freedom, I'm eager to
    incorporate such an experience into myself. Most experiences do, in fact,
    widen my ability to respond or initiate action creatively.

    It's the unfortunate traumas (usually resulting from lack of experience)
    that can be constraining. Tragically, some misfortunates suffer so
    many of these that their freedom is forever broken..

>But, back to the original point,
>calling it freedom sounds Orwellian to me, because clearly we are "free"
>only to do what our experiences and mind constructs lead us to do.  This may
>be perceived as a "conscious choice" if the monitoring brain happens to be
>monitoring that process (i.e., is conscious of it), but...

    I challenge you to prove this highly dubious assertion!!

    At most, the empirical evidence shows that past experiences only
    partially restrict my behavior -- and QM downright contradicts
    strict behaviorism.

    Furthermore, I am frequently quite successful at NOT monitoring my
    behavior -- except when I really need to.

    BTW, any lawn mower engine (or even electron, for that matter) arguably
    makes `decisions' that are not fully determined by antecedent causes,
    yet display primitive intelligence in their `choice' of action -- if
    relative independence from antecedent causes is paramount, there are
    entities possessing free will all over the place.

>>  In fact, LACK of past experiences -- parental neglect, poor education,
>>  insufficient human contact, boredom, etc -- is probably as constraining to
>>  personal freedom as traumatic or bitter experience.

>But there's no difference at all.  One case constrains you to do one set of
>things, the other constrains you to do another.

    You mean a person whose development was so blighted that they cannot
    relate with other aware beings (even in written form) has as much
    freedom as a person who can enjoy friendships, careers, literature, or
    other life-opening experiences that come from human interactions?

    If so, your concept of freedom has little to do with the ordinary
    meaning of the word, my friend.

>>  Finally, the strict Behaviorist belief that past experience totally
>>  determines one's actions is NOT fact.
>
>So, what is "fact" here?  If "strict" behaviorism is not true, what are you
>assuming to be true.  I assume that by "strict behaviorism" you mean that
>all our behaviors are determined by things in our brains, which were
>accumulated as a result of past experiences, which were...  If not this,
>what?

    Only highly causal entities like digital computers and billiard
    balls approach strictly deterministic behavior (and even they
    display high-level random behavior when they break).

    Whitenoise phenomena whose high-level behavior is of quantum or analog
    nature are in principle random -- like Brownian motion or noise between
    radio stations, admittedly boring, but nonetheless not precisely
    determined by past behavior --  we can predict how such things will
    behave with mere statistics. Even the most perfect vacuum theoretically
    possible (in which electromagnetic radiation is totally minmized)
    possess such statistically random behavior.

    Then we have more interesting phenomena possessing high-level
    deterministic nonlinear behavior that magnifies whatever fluctuations
    are present at the bifurcation points -- the n-body problem is in this
    category, and the ultimate outcome is in general theoretically
    unpredictable because the amount of accuracy in knowledge of the initial
    conditions rapidly encounters quantum limits for long-range prediction.
    In this case, antecedent conditions determine everything except the
    intermittent critical decisions, where chaos reigns. At best, we can
    categorize the possible outcomes and attach a probability to each class.

    The most interesting case is dissipative structures, where the chaos of
    nonlinear thermodynamics (possibly augmented by noncausal quantum
    connections) is driven by an energy source and evolves into
    progressively higher levels of order -- living and growing things.
    Here, antecedent causes are but a mere background that, only in
    exceptional cases, have noticeable effect on the integrity of such
    highly nondeterministic and autonomous entities.

    Science hardly understands intelligent life, of course. Somehow animals
    resonate with surrounding patterns so well that they  mirror the
    surrounding world, anticipating future events more than reacting to past
    ones. My earlier quote from Bergson seems appropriate here:

	Free will is the breathing manifestation and unpredictable
	creativity of evolution: Evolution is truly creative, like the
	work of an artist. An impulse to action, as undefined want, exists
	beforehand, but until the want is satisfied, it is impossible to
	know how nature will satisfy it. For example, we may suppose some
	vague desire in sightless animals to be able to be aware of objects
	before they were in contact with them. This led to efforts which
	finally which finally resulted in the creation of eyes. Sight could
	not have been imagined beforehand. For this reason, evolution
	[even within an individual] is unpredictable, and determinism cannot
	refute advocates of free will.
        [History of Western Philosophy, Bertrand Russell]

    Yet another whimsical definition of free will for you, Rich:

        Autonomous behavior determined by future events

    SMASH CAUSALITY!!!

-michael

In article <1725@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>>>Yes, one can get a consistent definition of free will in this way [by
>>>considering "external influences" to refer to those *currently* influencing
>>>objects which are external to the person --pvt].  But you don't want it.
>>>It obliges to grant that my computer, which is a running a program I
>>>entered and commanded it to run some time ago, is exhibiting free will.
>>>[ADAMS]
>
>> Nay, there's a difference.  An act of "free will" is caused by a *conscious
>> mind*.  (By the way, I've thought about T. Dave Hudson's argument that
>> free will should be *defined* via the notion of activity caused by a
>> conscious mind; and that r-e-a should not be built into the definition of
>> free will but should be part of the explanation of it, as one of the
>> conditions for it.  (I hope I represent his views accurately.)  Mr. Hudson,
>> take a bow:  you've convinced me (no easy feat! :->).) [TOREK]

I thought that was my definition.  If Mr. Hudson proposed the same thing,
I didn't see it.  (Which is quite possible, since our disks keep getting
full and we lose mail.)

>Great.  An act of free will is causes by a conscious mind.  (Never mind the
>fact that it has nothing to do with the definition, but Eric Blair said
>redefining words would be the status quo by just around last year...)

I believe the situation is as follows.  There is a common use of the term
free will, which is not well defined.  There have been a number of attempts
to define the term through the years, in a way that conforms to the common
usage.  The most common one philosophically is that free will is acausal
action (not *completely* acausal, just not *completely* deterministic).  I
have argued that in light of modern physics, this should be modified to
"acausal and non-random" (that is, having a (primitive) component which is
neither deterministic nor random).  There is no evidence that free will,
in this sense, exists; and I believe the burden of proof lies on the side
of proving it.  (This does mean that it doesn't exist, just that its non-
existence is the simpler assumption.)

The second most common definition, historically, is some variant on "free
will is doing what is right", or "free will is doing what God says to do".
I have heard no arguments for this class of definition here, so I will
not bother trying to refute it.

So, if free will is not either of these things, what is it?  I think I agree
with my earlier posting, and Paul Torek, and Dave Hudson (if he said it),
that free will is the action of a conscious mind which is (partly) free from
current external influence.

>And how do you now define a conscious mind, as opposed to something else?

A good question.  I don't really know how to define a conscious mind.  I do
know of a good many cases where I know a conscious mind is present, and a
good many others where I am reasonably certain it is not.  Thus I know it
is a real object.  I suspect more scientific research will be required before
I could attempt a definition.  Ask me when the first artificial intelligence
is functional.

>Does a cat have a conscious mind?

This is one of the cases where I'm not sure.  When (if) I find out, I will
be able to tell you whether it has free will.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (09/21/85)

In article <531@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:
>   Still, I have a problem with the notion that freedom is self-conscious
>   rational choice. All that logic-chopping can be numbing...
>
>   The freest minds I know can be brutally self-scrutinizing as appropriate,
>   yet otherwise follow spontaneous impulse as effortlessly as a frog might
>   splash into an old pond.

That's *not* a problem with understanding freedom as self-conscious rational
choice.  See Dennett, *Elbow Room*, Chapter 2 esp. the latter part of the
chapter.

--Paul V Torek, the once and future "top 25" news submitter

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/22/85)

>    Still, I have a problem with the notion that freedom is self-conscious
>    rational choice. All that logic-chopping can be numbing, and, in excess,
>    may become yet another constraint on personal freedom.  [ELLIS]

And to think, that's "all" we've got.  Either "think things through" (producing
possibly the best results) or "go with instincts" (which often means acting
on learned behaviors in an instinctive way, behaviors either impressed upon
the person through conditioning or chosen rationally by the person---and that
only if one such learned behavior is choosing rationally).

>    The freest minds I know can be brutally self-scrutinizing as appropriate,
>    yet otherwise follow spontaneous impulse as effortlessly as a frog might
>    splash into an old pond.

The difference between a genius and an average Joe/Joan like you or me is
in their ability to make use of intuition and spontaneity.  Intuition and
spontaneity aren't "great" things, they're only great when the results of
using them are great.  Geniuses (or whatever you want to call them) simply
have learned how to make the best use of these tools.

Is the reason you believe in "acausality" because you know that the only
abilities open to us otherwise do not allow for "freedom"?  I for one
find the abilities we do have to be more than adequate, in fact quite
incredible.
--
"Meanwhile, I was still thinking..."
				Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/22/85)

>>I wouldn't call it "freedom".  What is increased is our flexibility in
>>action, that which makes us different from supposedly lower animals.  What
>>Torek and I have referred to as rational evaluative analysis of stored
>>knowledge constructs (possibly not even at a conscious level). [Rich]

>     I wouldn't call it free will either; however, those who stress
>     rationality as the highest possible virtue would be entirely
>     justified in selecting r-e-a as their definition of free will. [ELLIS]

I don't understand, you mean based on our other beliefs, we get to "select"
the definitions we like for given words or terms?  Hmmm.  Thank you for
clarifying (at last) your position on language and definition.

>>But, back to the original point,
>>calling it freedom sounds Orwellian to me, because clearly we are "free"
>>only to do what our experiences and mind constructs lead us to do.  This may
>>be perceived as a "conscious choice" if the monitoring brain happens to be
>>monitoring that process (i.e., is conscious of it), but...

>     I challenge you to prove this highly dubious assertion!!

Highly dubious?  If you don't believe in a non-physical soul as the cause of
the willing of your actions, then clearly our actions are determined by the
make-up of our brains, which are determined by what we have gone through
throughout our lives.  I wasn't aware that obvious tautologies were
"assertions" that are "dubious" and must be "proved".

>     At most, the empirical evidence shows that past experiences only
>     partially restrict my behavior -- and QM downright contradicts
>     strict behaviorism.

It does?

>     Furthermore, I am frequently quite successful at NOT monitoring my
>     behavior -- except when I really need to.

Your articles here are evidence of that.  :-(
--
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

In article <531@spar.UUCP> ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) writes:
>    Rational decision by a conscious mind. Sounds familiar. Oh yes..

Me, I don't insist that the decision be rational.  Only that it be made by
a conscious mind.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (09/24/85)

>>   The freest minds I know can be brutally self-scrutinizing as appropriate,
>>   yet otherwise follow spontaneous impulse as effortlessly as a frog might
>>   splash into an old pond.
>
>The difference between a genius and an average Joe/Joan like you or me is
>in their ability to make use of intuition and spontaneity.  Intuition and
>spontaneity aren't "great" things, they're only great when the results of
>using them are great.  Geniuses (or whatever you want to call them) simply
>have learned how to make the best use of these tools.

    Even irrational dullards who have love in the hearts can work wonders
    with little more than childlike spontaneity.

>Is the reason you believe in "acausality" because you know that the only
>abilities open to us otherwise do not allow for "freedom"?

    I do not believe in "acausality", if belief is taken to mean
    faith contrary to reason.

    Rather, I have concluded by examining the empirical evidence and
    rigorous arguments that causal determinism is an archaic a priori
    assertion that contradicts facts of the physical world we live in.

    And I am fully prepared to accept the triumphant return of determinism if
    and when the evidence indicates otherwise.

>I for one find the abilities we do have to be more than adequate, in fact
>quite incredible.

    Bravo -- we totally agree on this point..

    "Carry data chop logic"

-michael

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (09/24/85)

>>     I wouldn't call it free will either; however, those who stress
>>     rationality as the highest possible virtue would be entirely
>>     justified in selecting r-e-a as their definition of free will. [ELLIS]
>
>I don't understand, you mean based on our other beliefs, we get to "select"
>the definitions we like for given words or terms?  Hmmm.  Thank you for
>clarifying (at last) your position on language and definition.

    You have your own ideas about what you consider `freedom' to be, and I
    accept them as reasonable for you -- but I fail to understand why others
    must accept your insistence that they are the only reasonable ones,
    especially in light of the huge amount of philosophical divergence
    on this issue.

    Most people consider themselves to be constrained only when unwanted
    realities compel behavior against their will. Dennett offers a strong
    argument of this point:

         Jones hates Smith and decides, in full possession of his faculties,
	 to murder him. Meanwhile, Black, the nefarious neurosurgeon.. ,
	 who also wants Smith dead, has implanted something in Jones' brain
	 so that just in case Jones changes his mind (and chickens out),
	 Black, by pushing his special button, can put Jones back on his
	 murderous track.. Black doesn't have to intervene; Jones does the
	 deed all on his own.

    Jones could not have done otherwise, yet he behaved according to his own
    choice! Black's total control never subverted Jones decision process.
    I'd say that Jones behaved of his own free will.

    Likewise, even if I am constrained by physical causality, I only
    consider such constraints to be external when they prevent me from
    following my will.

    After all, what could I do without a physical body? And how could I gain
    new knowledge if I did not remember past experiences? Freedom without
    experience or physical abilities requires a mystical viewpoint, and that
    would be most unscientific!

    And I fail to see how those who desire to be totally rational are not
    free when behave according to rational conscious choice...

>Highly dubious?  If you don't believe in a non-physical soul as the cause of
>the willing of your actions, then clearly our actions are determined by the
>make-up of our brains, which are determined by what we have gone through
>throughout our lives.  I wasn't aware that obvious tautologies were
>"assertions" that are "dubious" and must be "proved".

    The below are not `obvious tautologies', they are a priori assertions:

    (1) Our minds are totally determined by our brain state
    (2) Our brain states are totally determined by antecedent causes

    I'm willing to suppose (1) if that's what it takes to hold a
    philosophical discussion with you, Rich. Especially since I can offer no
    evidence that it is obviously wrong. However, I'll gladly drop this
    assumption in philosophical discourse with those who are more skeptical
    than yourself, since subjective decisions clearly affect physical
    events. (1) is reasonable, but not yet fact.

    However, (2) has been scientifically disproven.

    Nobody knows what determines the outcome of individual random quantum
    events, but those occurring in our brains arguably can and do manifest
    themselves as high-level conscious phenomena (unlike the quantum
    phenomena in rocks, which have no perceptible effect on a rock's
    high-level behavior).

    One thing we do know is that quantum events are only partially determined
    antecedent causes; we also know that they are partially determined by
    synchronous noncausal connections.

>>     At most, the empirical evidence shows that past experiences only
>>     partially restrict my behavior -- and QM downright contradicts
>>     strict behaviorism.
>
>It does?

     Strict behavioristic assertions that one's choices are totally
     determined by past causal chains rooted in the past would have been
     clearly validated by strict causal determinism.

     First, quantum considerations provide empirical evidence that events
     are apparently not totally determined by known physical causes
     (admittedly, future discoveries may change this).

     Secondly, rigorous analysis proves that any future deterministic
     theories will have to be noncausally deterministic (ie- not determined
     by spatially and temporally impingent events).

     Thus, I conclude that one's behavior is partially determined by noncausal
     considerations, and strict Behaviorism is false.

>>     Furthermore, I am frequently quite successful at NOT monitoring my
>>     behavior -- except when I really need to.
>
>Your articles here are evidence of that.  :-(

    At least I restrict my flamage to the only flamer here (besides myself).

    I'll correct that omission -- Ellis, you are an ignorant and arrogant
    fool!!

    "Others are so bright and intelligent"

-michael

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/29/85)

> I believe the situation is as follows.  There is a common use of the term
> free will, which is not well defined.  There have been a number of attempts
> to define the term through the years, in a way that conforms to the common
> usage.  The most common one philosophically is that free will is acausal
> action (not *completely* acausal, just not *completely* deterministic).  I
> have argued that in light of modern physics, this should be modified to
> "acausal and non-random" (that is, having a (primitive) component which is
> neither deterministic nor random).  There is no evidence that free will,
> in this sense, exists; and I believe the burden of proof lies on the side
> of proving it.  (This does mean that it doesn't exist, just that its non-
> existence is the simpler assumption.) [FRANK ADAMS]

If anything, Ellis' extended diatribe did a lot to convince me that, yes
indeed, the meaning you describe is the meaning ascribed to free will
throughout the ages.  Everyone Ellis quoted/paraphrased took this as a
jumping off point and either agreed with its existence (for whatever
reason), disagreed, or built some whole new system of axioms to "make" it
exist.  Bravo, for noting where the burden of proof lies for this.

> The second most common definition, historically, is some variant on "free
> will is doing what is right", or "free will is doing what God says to do".
> I have heard no arguments for this class of definition here, so I will
> not bother trying to refute it.

It sounds a little like Torek's "making the rational choice/decision" in a
way.  In any case, the religious view on free will centers on the ABILITY
to make a decision between "right" and "wrong", where those two are determined
by some moral code.  The ability they speak of is exactly the same ability
you describe in your earlier paragraph.  Thus, no real conflict at all.
One in the same.

> So, if free will is not either of these things, what is it?

H O L D   I T ! ! ! !   If the definitions of a word do not describe something
that exists, are you at liberty to simply say "let's make it mean something
else"?  Because the word unicorn doesn't represent a real object, can you
just "reassign" the "pointer" for the definition of unicorn to something
else because you feel like it?

> I think I agree
> with my earlier posting, and Paul Torek, and Dave Hudson (if he said it),
> that free will is the action of a conscious mind which is (partly) free from
> current external influence.

My other complaints aside (for the moment), why the arbitrary demarcation of
"current external influence".  So as to "get" free will?  If you are going
to build a system of axioms and definitions such that you get what you want,
of course free will will "exist".  But is that a legitimate thing to do?

>>And how do you now define a conscious mind, as opposed to something else?
   (THIS IS THE QUESTION I ASKED EARLIER.)

> A good question.  I don't really know how to define a conscious mind.  I do
> know of a good many cases where I know a conscious mind is present, and a
> good many others where I am reasonably certain it is not.  Thus I know it
> is a real object.  I suspect more scientific research will be required before
> I could attempt a definition.  Ask me when the first artificial intelligence
> is functional.

>>Does a cat have a conscious mind?

> This is one of the cases where I'm not sure.  When (if) I find out, I will
> be able to tell you whether it has free will.

You omitted the most important part of my article, and in so doing ignored the
conclusion it came to:  that such a definition of free will (in any case)
is hopelessly obscure, vacuous, and circular.  "What's free will?"  "The act
of a conscious mind."  "And how do you define conscious mind?  Does, say,
a fish have one?"  "No, of course not, obviously, it doesn't have free will,
so it can't..."

Not to mention that it doesn't cover the bases of the definition.
--
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/29/85)

>     Most people consider themselves to be constrained only when unwanted
>     realities compel behavior against their will. Dennett offers a strong
>     argument of this point:
>
>          Jones hates Smith and decides, in full possession of his faculties,
> 	 to murder him. Meanwhile, Black, the nefarious neurosurgeon.. ,
> 	 who also wants Smith dead, has implanted something in Jones' brain
> 	 so that just in case Jones changes his mind (and chickens out),
> 	 Black, by pushing his special button, can put Jones back on his
> 	 murderous track.. Black doesn't have to intervene; Jones does the
> 	 deed all on his own.
>
>     Jones could not have done otherwise, yet he behaved according to his own
>     choice! Black's total control never subverted Jones decision process.
>     I'd say that Jones behaved of his own free will.

Yes, I'd guess that you would regardless of the outcome.  I see little
connection between this analogy and the issues of free will, except in your own
mind.

>     Likewise, even if I am constrained by physical causality, I only
>     consider such constraints to be external when they prevent me from
>     following my will.

But your will itself is constrained by that same causality:  why is it that
you want to do THIS and not THAT?

>     The below are not `obvious tautologies', they are a priori assertions:
>
>     (1) Our minds are totally determined by our brain state
>     (2) Our brain states are totally determined by antecedent causes
>
>     I'm willing to suppose (1) if that's what it takes to hold a
>     philosophical discussion with you, Rich.

Michael, this ceased to be a "philosophical discussion" when you lowered
yourself to abusive namecalling because I disagreed with your holy religious
beliefs.

>     Especially since I can offer no
>     evidence that it is obviously wrong. However, I'll gladly drop this
>     assumption in philosophical discourse with those who are more skeptical
>     than yourself, since subjective decisions clearly affect physical
>     events. (1) is reasonable, but not yet fact.
>     However, (2) has been scientifically disproven.

First off, if they're not determined in this way, how does this "get" us
"free will"?  All it gets us is another dependency.  Not only are we
dependent on how our brains have come to be configured through our experiences
in life, we are also dependent upon random quantum fluctuations which are
more analogous to a banana peel on the floor than to the making of a "free"
decision.  Remember that "choice" is the selection of an alternative after
consideration.  If the "consideration" is a quantum phenomenon, you have
lost your freedom, not gained it.

>     Nobody knows what determines the outcome of individual random quantum
>     events, but those occurring in our brains arguably can and do manifest
>     themselves as high-level conscious phenomena (unlike the quantum
>     phenomena in rocks, which have no perceptible effect on a rock's
>     high-level behavior).

Arguably can and do?  I wonder who's asserting what now?

>      Strict behavioristic assertions that one's choices are totally
>      determined by past causal chains rooted in the past would have been
>      clearly validated by strict causal determinism.
>      First, quantum considerations provide empirical evidence that events
>      are apparently not totally determined by known physical causes
>      (admittedly, future discoveries may change this).
>      Secondly, rigorous analysis proves that any future deterministic
>      theories will have to be noncausally deterministic (ie- not determined
>      by spatially and temporally impingent events).

Michael Ellis predicts the future of science, describing (nay, DEMANDING)
what future theories "will have to be"!

>>>     Furthermore, I am frequently quite successful at NOT monitoring my
>>>     behavior -- except when I really need to.

>>Your articles here are evidence of that.  :-(

>     At least I restrict my flamage to the only flamer here (besides myself).
>     I'll correct that omission -- Ellis, you are an ignorant and arrogant
>     fool!!

Congratulations!  :-?  I much prefer your public self-abuse to your abuse
directed at me, for obvious reasons.  I have to wonder if the only reason
for the abuse in the first place is the fact that I disagree with you.
--
Popular consensus says that reality is based on popular consensus.
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr