[net.philosophy] Parapsychology

cooper@pbsvax.DEC (Topher Cooper HLO2-3/M08 DTN225-5819) (10/02/85)

>> In article <45200019@hpfcms.UUCP> bill@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>> >I recall what Stephen Hawking said about his youthful
>> >experiences with experiments in the paranormal.  He noticed that when
>> >scientific rigor was enforced there were no successes, but when it is
>> >was not, the number of successes jumped sharply.  Of course, there are
>> >always those who will claim that scientific rigor contributes to an
>> >atmosphere of disbelief in which such phenomena cannot occur.  If that's
>> >not wishful thinking, I don't know what is.
>>
>> Can you say straw-man?  I knew you could.
>
>   Where's the 'straw man'?
>
>                                  David Moews
>                            ...decvax!harvard!h-sc4!moews
>                            moews%h-sc4@harvard.arpa

A "straw man" is when a debater invents an easily refuted argument to his/her
thesis, then proceeds to refute it, when that argument does not represent the
opponent's viewpoint.  Clearly the claim that "scientific rigor contributes to
an atmosphere of disbelief in which such phenomena cannot occur." is an easily
refuted argument.  We need only establish that the opponents of the view which
is being put forward are not likely to make such an argument.

I, as a minor member of the parapsychological community, don't find that
argument as particularly representative of the views of that community.  To
support the view that the opinion is NOT a straw man, a legitimate
representative of the parapsychological community must be found who accepts it
as a reasonable alternative.  Jim Balter, after quoting me a little more,
attempts to do just that.

>>I suppose there are people who would make the above claim.  There are also
>>many who would claim that Laetrile cures cancer, whatever the statistics say.
>>This in no way reflects on legitimate cancer researchers.
>
>It is not a straw man when major psi types like Thelma Moss use this excuse.
>
>-- Jim Balter (ima!jim)

Given that the discussion was about an attempt to scientifically evaluate psi
phenomena, I took as the meaningful group which the "those" referred to as
the scientific parapsychological community, specifically those who feel that
scientific evidence for psi phenomena exists.  There are of course many
people who claim to be parapsychologists who are not.  These include both
non-scientific types (for example some psychics) and people with some technical
or scientific qualifications who are not at all qualified in parapsychology.
We can start by excluding them from the discussion.

Any scientific field will have people with a whole range of competences.  Dr.
Moss, in my opinion is only slightly within the outer fringe of the legitimate
parapsychological community.  For example, I don't know of any recent
publications by her in the refereed journals or conferences (for that matter
I don't remember any older ones either, though I have a nagging feeling that
I've seen at least one).

Nevertheless, if she has made such a statement, my claim that the argument
was a straw man, would not be correct (the argument would still come very close
since I would still claim it to be a minority opinion).  Although it is
possible that Dr. Moss has said such a thing, I don't know of it, and think
that it is unlikely.  Does anyone have a citation?

What Dr. Moss may well have said, is a lot less broad, and a lot less easy to
knock down: that controls applied without taking into account what little
we know about psi may well interfere with the process.  Note that this is
a very different statement than that rigorous controls will NECESSARILY
preclude psi phenomena.

Let's make an exaggerated analogy.  Let's say that I have heard that there are
people, called batters, who claim that they are frequently able to hit a small
ball, moving at high speed, with a narrow stick.  I find this an unlikely
claim to say the least: after all, known hand/eye reaction times would
preclude such abilities.  I decide to test the claim, and gather up a
collection of self-proclaimed batters.  But wait, they might be using some
kind of concealed device, such as an air cannon, to create the appearance of
successfully striking the ball.  To control for this, I tie there hands behind
their back.  When the fail to hit the ball, have I presented reasonable
evidence that they cheated and are not actually able to accomplish the feat?
Are any who criticize the nature of my controls claiming that, in general,
rigorous controls prevent the occurrence of "batting" phenomena?

A hostile atmosphere does seem to interfere with the eliciting of psi
phenomena, but, with some care and forethought, rigorous controls can be
applied in an atmosphere of open-minded skepticism.  When this is done, psi
phenomena frequently (not always) occur.

		Topher Cooper

USENET: ...{allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-pbsvax!cooper
ARPA/CSNET: cooper%pbsvax.DEC@decwrl

Disclaimer:  This contains my own opinions, and I am solely responsible for
them.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/03/85)

>>>Can you say straw-man?  I knew you could.  [BILL GATES?]

>>   Where's the 'straw man'?  [DAVID MOEWS -- good question!!!!]

> A "straw man" is when a debater invents an easily refuted argument to his/her
> thesis, then proceeds to refute it, when that argument does not represent the
> opponent's viewpoint.  Clearly the claim that "scientific rigor contributes to
> an atmosphere of disbelief in which such phenomena cannot occur." is an easily
> refuted argument.  We need only establish that the opponents of the view which
> is being put forward are not likely to make such an argument. [COOPER]

But, alas, they do, every time serious scientific rigor shows up what they
claim to be true.  The fact remains that the only trials at which
parapsychological "success" have occurred are those for which rigorous
analytical procedures were not followed.  Careful examination of what really
goes on when psychic powers are demonstrated persistently show fraud.

>>>I suppose there are people who would make the above claim.  There are also
>>>many who would claim that Laetrile cures cancer, whatever the statistics say.
>>>This in no way reflects on legitimate cancer researchers. [GATES?]

>>It is not a straw man when major psi types like Thelma Moss use this excuse.
>>-- Jim Balter (ima!jim)

> Given that the discussion was about an attempt to scientifically evaluate psi
> phenomena, I took as the meaningful group which the "those" referred to as
> the scientific parapsychological community, specifically those who feel that
> scientific evidence for psi phenomena exists.  There are of course many
> people who claim to be parapsychologists who are not.  These include both
> non-scientific types (for example some psychics) and people with some
> technical or scientific qualifications who are not at all qualified in
> parapsychology.  We can start by excluding them from the discussion.

What are we left with?

> Nevertheless, if she has made such a statement, my claim that the argument
> was a straw man, would not be correct (the argument would still come very
> close since I would still claim it to be a minority opinion).  Although it is
> possible that Dr. Moss has said such a thing, I don't know of it, and think
> that it is unlikely.  Does anyone have a citation?

I think it highly likely given that it the only "excuse" left after rigorous
analysis shows the causes of the phenomena to be quite simple and explainable
(blowing "under one's breath", etc.).

> What Dr. Moss may well have said, is a lot less broad, and a lot less easy to
> knock down: that controls applied without taking into account what little
> we know about psi may well interfere with the process.  Note that this is
> a very different statement than that rigorous controls will NECESSARILY
> preclude psi phenomena.

Yet it is THAT statement which HAS been used, thus making the notion that
this a "straw man" invalid.

> Let's make an exaggerated analogy.  Let's say that I have heard that there are
> people, called batters, who claim that they are frequently able to hit a small
> ball, moving at high speed, with a narrow stick.  I find this an unlikely
> claim to say the least: after all, known hand/eye reaction times would
> preclude such abilities.  I decide to test the claim, and gather up a
> collection of self-proclaimed batters.  But wait, they might be using some
> kind of concealed device, such as an air cannon, to create the appearance of
> successfully striking the ball.  To control for this, I tie there hands behind
> their back.  When the fail to hit the ball, have I presented reasonable
> evidence that they cheated and are not actually able to accomplish the feat?
> Are any who criticize the nature of my controls claiming that, in general,
> rigorous controls prevent the occurrence of "batting" phenomena?

I'd say what a poor design for the experiment.   Why not simply take film
of the event and examine the results in slow motion?  Unfortunately, many
psi proponents claim that their hands are tied behind their backs
(metaphorically speaking) when "forced" to adhere to scientific method.
It is a poor analogy, because such methodology is used for the purpose of
ensuring credible results, thus freeing them of the shackles of having to
defend themselves against charges of shoddiness in analysis.  The fact that
so many claim not to want any part of that (claiming that such rigor will
interfere with the results) tells me that only the shoddy technique will
bring results, which essentially means no viable results at all.

> A hostile atmosphere does seem to interfere with the eliciting of psi
> phenomena, but, with some care and forethought, rigorous controls can be
> applied in an atmosphere of open-minded skepticism.  When this is done, psi
> phenomena frequently (not always) occur.

Since any skepticism is deemed "hostility" ("You've gotta believe!" ---famous
psi scholar Dr. Tug McGraw :-), and since skepticism is a necessary part of
rigorous analysis, what conclusions can we draw?
--
"iY AHORA, INFORMACION INTERESANTE ACERCA DE... LA LLAMA!"
	Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

cooper@pbsvax.DEC (Topher Cooper HLO2-3/M08 DTN225-5819) (10/09/85)

>> Apparent paranormal phenomena has been elicited in the laboratory many
>> (conservatively speaking, hundreds) times under conditions most scientists
>> would consider highly rigorous, particularly if they were not informed that
>> the experiment were a parapsychology experiment.
>
>      The point is that conditions which are rigorous for an experiment
>  in the natural sciences are not rigorous enough for a parapsychology
>  experiment.  Electrons cannot attempt to cheat or violate the experimental
>  conditions; people can, and they have been observed to do so in many
>  previous parapsychology experiments.  This means that the experimental
>  conditions must be made much more rigorous than in other sciences (to
>  completely rule out the possibility of cheating.)
>
>                                  David Moews
>                            ...decvax!harvard!h-sc4!moews
>                            moews%h-sc4@harvard.arpa

It is very difficult, perhaps impossible, to be sure when dealing with
"professional psychics" that no cheating is going on.  Parapsychology has been
aware of this for a long time: the Society for Psychical Research got into hot
water with many of its financial backers (mostly Spiritualists) soon after it
was founded in the 1880's.  This was because they set up a policy of NOT
investigating professional mediums because of the high risk of cheating.

Although the Uri Gellers of the world get most of the publicity, only a very
small percentage of the laboratory work has been with such people.  Of course,
non-professionals are perfectly capable of trying to cheat, and even of using
fairly sophisticated techniques to do so.  But such tests rarely depend on
a single person or even a small group of people scoring high.  Subjects are
frequently gotten the same way as for psychology experiments: classes of
undergraduate students, tested in class.  High school students, grade school
students, the experimenters themselves, and, of course, volunteers are also
used.

Still, one must take some care against fraud, but, this is not very difficult
in a well designed experiment.  The problems with professional psychics is that
they have specific "claims" to be tested, and these claims, to a greater-or-
lesser degree control the experimental situation.  I agree, however: any
scientific work with human subjects should include precautions against fraud;
the temptation to pull a prank exists when there is no other motivation.  It
is foolish, however, to feel that it is ever possible to completely rule out
possibility of cheating IN ANY experiment, even in the physical sciences:
electrons cannot cheat but the janitor, lab technician or experimenter's spouse
can.  The motivation to cheat in parapsychological experiments with
"unselected" subjects is not much (if any) higher than in any other field, and
unlike other fields such precautions are taken.  So in this limited sense the
standards ARE more rigorous.

		Topher Cooper

USENET: ...{allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-pbsvax!cooper
ARPA/CSNET: cooper%pbsvax.DEC@decwrl

Disclaimer:  This contains my own opinions, and I am solely responsible for
them.

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) (10/12/85)

[]
     Since you are apparently quite familiar with the
literature of experimental parapsychology, I would invite you to
describe for the readers of this newsgroup some of the "best" work, in
your opinion.  That is, what do you take to be the most decisive
experimental demonstrations of psi?

     I make this request not to engage in "psi-baiting", but because I
think there are important philosophical issues involved, whatever
one's conclusions about psi might be.

Todd Moody       {allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!tmoody
Philosophy Department
St. Joseph's U.
Philadelphia, PA   19131

cooper@pbsvax.DEC (Topher Cooper HLO2-3/M08 DTN225-5819) (10/16/85)

>> Apparent paranormal phenomena has been elicited in the laboratory many
>> (conservatively speaking, hundreds) times under conditions most scientists
>> would consider highly rigorous, particularly if they were not informed that
>> the experiment were a parapsychology experiment.
>
>If that is true, why do most scientists, and most non-parapsychological
>scientists who have investigated, reject it?

What a very complicated question for a single sentence.  It presupposes so
much.  First I want to make sure that we agree on what the referents of the
pronouns are:

    "that" (in "If *that* is true") -- There is a large body of rigorously
	obtained, positive, parapsychological experiments.

    "it" (in "... reject *it*?") -- the existence of psi phenomena.

And we better get some key terms defined:

    Psi phenomena -- For our purposes: either ESP or PK.

    ESP -- ESP is said to manifest when a subject (usually human) behaves in
	a way correlated with information from which they are isolated on
	known physical channels.

    PK -- PK is said to manifest when an external system (usually with a large
	"random" component to its behavior) isolated in all known physical
	ways from a subject (usually human), acts in a way correlated with
	information available to the subject, but also isolated from directly
	influencing the external system.

In both the definition of ESP and PK it is assumed that chance and patterned
correlation (e.g., the subject alternates "guesses" which corresponds to
to an alternation of "targets") have been eliminated statistically as an
explanation.

Note that these definitions are purely operational: they presuppose no mode
of action, physical or non-physical.  In practice, a little bit more of a
model of what is going on is usually assumed: ESP is viewed as the subjects
"knowing" what they have no ordinary way of knowing and PK is viewed as the
subjects effecting the external system when they have no ordinary way of doing
so.  These working definitions are more convenient, but are not thought to be
fully justified by the existing evidence.

And now let's deal with the presuppositions in the question:

Presupposition #1: Most scientists reject the existence of psi.  I don't have
the information with me but my impression is that most surveys show the
majority (by a small margin) of scientists' opinions range from "psi is
likely" to "psi has been established."  Offhand, the only exception I know
was a survey of "elite scientists."  This showed about only about 1/3
accepting psi phenomena as at least probable.  "Elite scientists" was defined
essentially as people of power in the scientific community.  No attempt was
made to separate administrators from "top scientists."  Various explanations
might explain why this group is more against parapsychology than the
mainstream.  Some reflect positively on parapsychology, some negatively, and
most are neutral.

Presupposition #2: Most non-parapsychological scientists who have investigated
(the existing body of parapsychological evidence) reject the existence of psi.
This might be true, I don't know.  What is your basis for this statement?

The one or two non-parapsychological scientists who have investigated who I
have met personally accept the evidence as fairly conclusive, but my sampling
may well be biased.  There are clearly non-parapsychological scientists who
know about the evidence but nevertheless do not accept the existence of psi as
proven, but is it a majority?

It seems to me that most of the outspoken critics of parapsychology are
either not scientists or do not seem to be aware of the body of evidence for
parapsychology (usually both).  They therefore are not included in the set of
people under discussion.  Very few non-parapsychologists seem to be aware of
the scientific literature of the field.

Most negative "investigations" of parapsychology have been instead
investigations either of the claims of professional psychics, most of whom are
considered obvious frauds by parapsychologists (whatever the psychics claim),
or of particular pieces of research, generally done by unqualified people.
Such investigations say nothing about the body of evidence to which I refer:
if it has not appeared in the refereed technical organs of parapsychology it
is not part of the body of scientific evidence.  Even if a particular piece
of research has appeared in that body has been shown to be flawed in some way,
it still must be established by the critic that this flaw is representative
of the ENTIRE body, before it can be taken as meaningful.  If I point out the
obvious flaw in the Aspect experiments, I have in no way invalidated all
evidence for QM.

Presupposition #3: The opinions of non-parapsychological scientists who have
investigated the claims of parapsychology are representative of the opinions
that would be held by all scientists if they also investigated.  The
motivations of those scientists who have chosen to investigate the evidence
is obviously a confounding factor (whether for or against psi is unclear once
you've eliminated investigators in the field).  There is also another factor
which biases this grouping against psi.

Very few scientifically oriented people deny the monumental significance that
psi would have *if* it were shown to exist.  Scientists who have investigated
the evidence and found it positive have frequently become involved in
parapsychology, at least part time (given the lack of funds, most
parapsychology is done part-time or spare-time).  They then become excluded
from your grouping of "non-parapsychological scientists."

It also seems a bit odd to exclude at the outset people working in a field,
presumably these people are generally the most knowledgeable.  What would
your reaction be if a "scientific" creationist excluded from the outset as
"biased" the opinions of anyone working in biology, physics, geology or
related fields?

Presupposition #4: The opinions of scientists as a whole, as opposed to those
who have investigated the matter, mean anything.  As I tried to indicate
above, the number of scientists who have actually investigated the evidence
which I'm referring to is very small.  The opinions of scientists as a whole
is made up overwhelmingly of the opinions of those who have not investigated
the evidence, who indeed, are at best barely aware of its existence.  I don't
see what relevance those opinions, positive or negative, have.

Presupposition #5: If there was a large body of rigorous experiments
supporting the existence of psi phenomena, then the majority of scientists
who have investigated the existing evidence would accept the existence of psi.

First, "a large body of rigorous experiments" is not equivalent to a "body
of conclusive evidence."  One can accept the existence of evidence and still
feel that the issue is open.

Second, scientists are human, not purely objective; and this issue strikes at
some very fundamental assumptions of the philosophy of science as it is
found in practice.  No this is not the "Galileo" argument ("'They' thought
Galileo was crazy, and 'They' think I am; Galileo was right; therefore I am
also right").  In general, if you go with the majority of informed scientists,
then you will be right much more often then if you use the opposite strategy.
Sometimes, however, you will be wrong.  I am telling you that the evidence
exists (this is fact, not opinion), and that it is of as high quality as any
other large body of evidence on a complex issue (this is my own evaluation).
I am recommending that you check for yourself.  It is your privilege to feel
that the a priori probability of me being correct is low enough so that it is
not worth your time to check; but until you have checked, you are not in a
position to refute my statement.

Presupposition #6?: If there were anything to it, "they" would have told me.
I put a question mark on this one, since I am not sure it is a presupposition
you actually made.  It is one which I run into frequently, and if you made
it, some of the more explicit presuppositions would result.  "Lack of evidence
is not evidence of lack."  Particularly when the lack is in your knowledge of
any evidence, rather than an actual lack of evidence.  "They" have not told
you because most of "them" don't know.  Those very few who do know have good
psychological (not, again in my opinion, scientific) reasons for rejecting
the evidence.  Those who know  and accept the evidence have a great deal to
lose by admitting it.  Those who know, accept and admit it find that
publication in mainstream science publications is a process where editors and
publishers must be willing to accept (not necessarily wholeheartedly) and
admit to that acceptance as well. Those who surmount all those hurdles find
themselves labeled as a member of a small minority of "nuts," whose opinions
may be safely dismissed.

Am I proposing a conspiracy?  Of course not: neither anything so sinister nor
so easy to deal with.  I am simply saying that there are a number of aspects
of parapsychology which run headlong against certain factors in the sociology
and psychology of contemporary science.

So where does that leave us?  There are a very few scientists who have made a
thorough investigation of the rigorous evidence for psi phenomena.  Of those,
some accept the evidence, some reject it and some are "agnostic."  This leaves
us with a legitimate question: why do some informed scientists fail to accept
the evidence at face value?  I was going to answer this question here, but
decided not to for several reasons: 1) this is getting rather long, 2) I
should give people the opportunity to express an interest in the answer, and
3) I should provide anyone in the category who is out there with the
opportunity to speak for themselves before I put words in their mouth.

>					       Please document these claims.
>Parapsychology is not widely accepted in the scientific community precisely
>because it has *not* been demonstrated in the way you calim.
>	Jim Balter (ima!jim)

Glad to, but once again I will do so in a separate posting.

cooper@pbsvax.DEC (Topher Cooper HLO2-3/M08 DTN225-5819) (10/22/85)

>>Apparent paranormal phenomena has been elicited in the laboratory many
>>(conservatively speaking, hundreds) times under conditions most scientists
>>would consider highly rigorous, particularly if they were not informed that
>>the experiment were a parapsychology experiment.
>
>			. . .		      Please document these claims.
>Parapsychology is not widely accepted in the scientific community precisely
>because it has *not* been demonstrated in the way you calim.
>
>-- Jim Balter (ima!jim)

Glad to.  It is obviously impractical for me to personally summarize over the
net a literature consisting of over 3000 papers, and I'm sure that no one
expects me to.  Instead I'll give some useful citations and anyone interested
can try to check them out themselves.  Unfortunately even the major
publications are hard to find in libraries so you may have to look around some.

There are lots of primary sources but two stand out:

*The Journal of Parapsychology*: this is the journal started by J.B. Rhine in
the late 30's.  Much of the early work, as in any field, is flawed but these
flaws were quickly found and corrected.  Early issues are interesting to read
for this very reason: one can watch a new science being born.  Standards have
been high throughout the Journal's lifetime.  A useful feature is the section
of abstracts in each issue.  This includes works published elsewhere and also
work that, for one reason or another, remains unpublished.  The unpublished
papers can be obtained for a nominal copying charge from "The Foundation for
Research on the Nature of Man" (FRNM) which publishes the Journal.  The most
common reason for non-publication is lack of overall significant scoring, this
service was in part inspired as a response to criticisms of selective
publication as the source of "psi" results.

*The Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research* (JASPR): early
issues (from 1906) concentrated on field work and are thus rather weak
in evidential terms.  Somewhere around 1925 the ASPR was "taken over" by
"spiritualists."  Although there was occasional good work published during
this period, it could not really be considered a properly refereed, scientific
journal, and can't be taken too seriously.  In the early 40's, however, it got
back to a scientific orientation, and high standards were reimposed.  If
you're in doubt about any early 40's issue, look for Gardner Murphy's name.
It remains less laboratory oriented then the Journal of Parapsychology but
this is far from absolute.

A good source of reprints for many outstanding original papers in
parapsychology is the book *The Basic Experiments in Parapsychology* edited by
K. Ramakrishna Rao, published in 1984.  Dr. Rao is the current director of
FRNM and the editor of the Journal of Parapsychology.  The papers are not
restricted, however, to that source.  Some caution is necessary (and Dr. Rao
himself provides it in the introduction).  Dr. Rao was forced, because of
space limitations, to drop many papers he wished to include, and of course,
other people would have chosen papers that Dr. Rao didn't.  A more accurate
title might, therefore, have been *Some of The Basic Experiments ...*.  Also,
these papers were selected to provide an overview of experimental
parapsychology, not to provide the best existing evidence for the existence
of psi.  Many of the experiments are the first to investigate a particular
phenomena, or to use a particular technique.  These frequently contained
flaws (major or minor) which were later corrected in further experiments.
Some papers were included simply because they sparked controversy.

There are of course, many surveys.  It is hard to imagine a parapsychologist
writing a book about parapsychology for a general audience without including
one.  You may find such surveys interesting but they tend to be neither
complete nor detailed enough to provide much meat.  There are, however,
several good, technical surveys.

The classic is *Extrasensory Perception After Sixty Years* by J.G. Pratt,
J.B. Rhine, Burke M. Stuart, Charles Stuart and Joseph A. Greenwood.  It
was first published in 1940 and surveyed the field up to that time.  There is
much discussion of the criticisms leveled at Rhine's early work, and his
answers.  The book has been reissued and is still in print.

The *Handbook of Parapsychology* edited by B.B. Wolman (not to be confused
with a book of the same name by Hans Holtzer) contains many good survey
articles.  Unfortunately, it has recently gone out of print.

I have no doubt at all that by far the most complete source is the irregular
series *Advances in Parapsychological Research* edited by Stanley Krippner.
The first three volumes were published by Plenum Press, and the fourth by
McFarland and Company.  Not all the articles are relevant, so I'll list
the relevant ones separately.

Volume 1, subtitled "Psychokinesis", published in 1977 contains:

    "Problems and Methods in Psychokinesis Research" by Joseph H. Rush.

    "Research Findings in Psychokinesis" by Gertrude Schmeidler.

Volume 2, subtitled "Extrasensory Perception", published in 1978 contains:

    "A Survey of Methods and Issues in ESP Research" by Robert L. Morris.

    "Extrasensory Perception: Research Findings" by John Palmer (this is
	a monumental survey, running almost 200 pages.  If you read only
	one thing it should be this.)

    "Theories of Psi" by K. Ramakrishna Rao.

Volume 3, published in 1982, was principally intended as an update for the
previous two volumes.  It contains:

    "An Updated Survey of Methods and Issues in ESP Research" by Morris.

    "ESP Research Findings: 1976-1978" by Palmer.

    "Problems and Methods in Psychokinesis Research" by Rush.

    "PK Research: Findings and Theories" by Schmeidler (this is not simply
	an update but goes into areas, most importantly theoretical, not
	covered by her first paper).

I have not yet read Volume 4 which was published in 1984, and so, with one
exception cannot recommend any of the papers.  The exception is:

    "Methodological Criticisms of Parapsychology" by Charles Akers.  (This
	is a good, hard, mostly negative look at one particular body of
	experimental work by an insider.  This is in my mind, one of the best
	pieces of broad critical work around, and I recommend it.  If you do
	read it, however, keep in mind that it has not gone unchallenged, and
	that it is not universally perceived as a negative evaluation of the
	evidence it examines.  Also, it deals with some of the methodologically
	more complex areas of parapsychology, so there is a question as to its
	generality.  I'll be glad to discuss it with anyone who has read it.)

If you are unable to find any of these I will give one last source.  It's
primary advantage is accessibility: most technical libraries will have it.
It is not, however, complete nor does it give a representative view of the
field.  It was written by a "convert", essentially to explain why he decided
that there was something to the field after all.  The author is Robert G. Jahn
who is the Dean of Engineering at Princeton.

    Jahn, Robert G.; The Persistent Paradox of Psychic Phenomena: An
    Engineering Perspective; PROCEEDINGS OF THE IEEE, VOL. 70, #2 (February
    1982)

If you need any help, or wish to know about the "legitimacy" of any source,
I'd be glad to provide any help I am able to.

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (10/23/85)

In article <970@decwrl.UUCP> cooper@pbsvax.DEC (Topher Cooper) writes:
> >>Apparent paranormal phenomena has been elicited in the laboratory many
> >>(conservatively speaking, hundreds) times under conditions most scientists
> >>would consider highly rigorous, particularly if they were not informed that
> >>the experiment were a parapsychology experiment.
> >
> >			. . .		      Please document these claims.
> >Parapsychology is not widely accepted in the scientific community precisely
> >because it has *not* been demonstrated in the way you calim.
> >
> >-- Jim Balter (ima!jim)
>
> Glad to.  ....

[Description of literature of >3000 papers omitted.]

How pathetic.  Almost every mention of early papers carried the warning
"flawed, but the flaws were corrected later".  And a huge numebr of papers
were about methodology, not phenomina.

The fact is, there is NO demonstrable, reproducible psychic phenominon
after who knows how many years of research.  Progress in parapsychology
has closely paralleled progress in alchemical transmutation of elements:
none, except as spinoffs of another field.  (Physics has given us
radioactive decay and bombardment, biology has given us magnetic senses in
a variety of organisms.)  Compare this to any other field recognized as
science, and you will readily see why parapsychology is regarded as
fraudulent.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP (10/24/85)

>> Apparent paranormal phenomena has been elicited in the laboratory many
>> (conservatively speaking, hundreds) times under conditions most scientists
>> would consider highly rigorous, particularly if they were not informed that
                  ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
>> the experiment were a parapsychology experiment.

	This statement is pure, unadulterated horse hockey. I know of no
scientist who is informed as to the status of paranormal research
and is not participating in such research who considers the techniques
of these so-called "scientists" rigorous. Every scientific study has
its own problems. Paranormal studies abound in statistical errors,
facetious assumptions, and a contemptuous disregard of previous
research, negative or otherwise.

	The problem of purposeful fraud is not nearly as serious as the
dilemma of ignorance in the laboratory. The majority of paranormal
researchers have little or no knowledge of statistical methods of
analyzing data. When these "scientists" do possess such knowledge,
they often misuse the skill by drawing conclusions that to them seem
obvious, but to outside observers seem facetious. The best technique
for ensuring the data is not mishandled is by allowing outside
observers who are informed about the research to analyze the data
through any series of tests possible.

--
Tracy A. McInvale
...!cmc12!lanl!unm-cvax!nmtvax!nmhr

***DISCLAIMER***
The contents of the above text do not necessarily reflect
the views of this organization, the Chicago Cubs, or Jennifer
Eaton.

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (10/25/85)

In article <796@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:

>> Glad to.  ....
>
>[Description of literature of >3000 papers omitted.]
>

>The fact is, there is NO demonstrable, reproducible psychic phenominon
>after who knows how many years of research.           ....

Um... Yea.  Out of all those >3000 papers there was absolutely NO PSI
documented.  And the greatest part is that Mike didn't have to look at any
of those 3000 papers to know that.

I guess that sums up the validy of ESP.  Mike's 'knowlege at a distance'
clairvoyance would seem the best proof of the validity of ESP seen yet in
this discussion.

  --  Dave Trissel      {seismo,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

In article <829@nmtvax.UUCP> nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP (Tracy McInvale) writes:

>>> Apparent paranormal phenomena has been elicited in the laboratory many
>>> (conservatively speaking, hundreds) times under conditions most scientists
>>> would consider highly rigorous, particularly if they were not informed that
>                  ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
>>> the experiment were a parapsychology experiment.

>	This statement is pure, unadulterated horse hockey. I know of no
>scientist who is informed as to the status of paranormal research
>and is not participating in such research who considers the techniques
>of these so-called "scientists" rigorous. Every scientific study has
>its own problems.

This statement is pure, unadaulterated horse hockey.  I know of no scientist
who is informed as to the status of paranormal research and is not
participating in such research who considers the top parapsychologist as being
any other than "scientist" and fully capable people.

>Paranormal studies abound in statistical errors,
>facetious assumptions, and a contemptuous disregard of previous
>research, negative or otherwise.

Take any one year of "Psychology Today" and I guarantee you'll find studies
abounding in statistical errors, facetious assumptions, and a contemptous
disregard of previous research, negative or otherwise.

>       The problem of purposeful fraud is not nearly as serious as the
>dilemma of ignorance in the laboratory. The majority of paranormal
>researchers have little or no knowledge of statistical methods of
>analyzing data. When these "scientists" do possess such knowledge,
>they often misuse the skill by drawing conclusions that to them seem
>obvious, but to outside observers seem facetious.

Having been around a couple of the "scientist" as you so call them, I wonder
what you are talking about.  Not only were they well grounded in statistical
methods but they actually went overboard being conservative in their analysis.

>The best way
>for ensuring the data is not mishandled is by allowing outside
>observers who are informed about the research to analyze the data
>through any series of tests possible.

And this isn't done?  I would love for you to mention some of the names of
the many scientist you think have looked at the field in depth and who think
it's all a joke.  (No I don't think the amazing Randi qualifies as a
scientist.)

I think some quick questions to these people would show just how well versed
they are in the field they so dis-approve.

Sincerely waiting but not holding my breath -- Dave Trissel
   {ihnp4,seismo}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (10/26/85)

In article <565@oakhill.UUCP> davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) writes:
> In article <796@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
> >The fact is, there is NO demonstrable, reproducible psychic phenominon
> >after who knows how many years of research.           ....
>
> Um... Yea.  Out of all those >3000 papers there was absolutely NO PSI
> documented.

Name one paper documenting a psi phenominon that any scientist who has
tried reasonably has reproduced.  Something I could demonstrate in a
classroom.

The fact is that if such a phenominon was available for study, it would
make significnt waves in the scientific community, and be widely reported
in the mainstream eclectic journals (like Science) rather than hidden in
obscure or ill-refereed journals the way most psychic research is.

> And the greatest part is that Mike didn't have to look at any
> of those 3000 papers to know that.
>
> I guess that sums up the validy of ESP.  Mike's 'knowlege at a distance'
> clairvoyance would seem the best proof of the validity of ESP seen yet in
> this discussion.

The fact is that genuine, reproducible, new phenomina are clamorously
announced throughout the scientific community.  Take for example the
recent iridium-enriched layer of clay that was proposed by Alvarez as
evidence of a large meteor strike that could have caused a mass extinction.
Which recently led to the discovery of soot within that layer, another
evidence of a large strike.  The theories are widely debated, but the
phenomina are well established.  Where are the well-established
psychic phenomina comparable to scraping off a bit of clay at the boundary
zone anywhere worldwide and finding soot and a high measure of iridium?
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) (10/29/85)

> >> Glad to.  ....
> >
> >[Description of literature of >3000 papers omitted.]
> >

> >The fact is, there is NO demonstrable, reproducible psychic phenominon
> >after who knows how many years of research.           ....
> >

> Um... Yea.  Out of all those >3000 papers there was absolutely NO PSI
> documented.  And the greatest part is that Mike didn't have to look at any
> of those 3000 papers to know that.

I don't have time to read 3000 papers.  Would someone who has done so
please tell us what the definitive, reproducible experiment demonstrating
some "PSI" phenomenon is?  Something like the Milliken oil-drop experiment
or the Michelson-Morley experiment in physics would be fine.  There must
be thousands of them.  Just tell us how to conduct ONE. (I think Randi
describes one in one of his books and encourages people to try it, but
we all know that won't work because of Randi's bad vibes.)  ONE
reproducible experiment is all it takes.  What is it?

Alan Filipski,  UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A 85282
{seismo|ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!al  |   ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!mot!al

sharp@noao.UUCP (Nigel Sharp) (10/29/85)

>> ... much quotation omitted .... see original

> This statement is pure, unadaulterated horse hockey.  I know of no scientist
> who is informed as to the status of paranormal research and is not
> participating in such research who considers the top parapsychologist as being
> any other than "scientist" and fully capable people.
> >The best way for ensuring the data is not mishandled is by allowing outside
> >observers who are informed about the research to analyze the data
> >through any series of tests possible.
>
> And this isn't done?  I would love for you to mention some of the names of
> the many scientist you think have looked at the field in depth and who think
> it's all a joke.  (No I don't think the amazing Randi qualifies as a
> scientist.)

There are many, but before you make such statements, noone said it was a joke,
and very few of the investigators say so either.  For a lot of careful work,
try C.E.M.Hansel's book "ESP and Parapsychology: A Critical Re-Evaluation".
Hansel is an internationally respected psychologist and a Professor at the
University of Manchester in England.

> Sincerely waiting but not holding my breath -- Dave Trissel

What are you waiting for ?  I would love to see some responsible proof
of ESP etc., but I'm not holding my breath either (although I used to be
able to manage 3 minutes whilst actively swimming, I'm not so fit now).
--

	Nigel Sharp     National Optical Astronomy Observatories
			Tucson, Arizona			(602) 325-9273

UUCP:	{akgua,allegra,arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4,lbl-csam,seismo}!noao!sharp
ARPA:	noao!sharp@lbl-csam.arpa

cooper@pbsvax.DEC (Topher Cooper HLO2-3/M08 DTN225-5819) (10/30/85)

Commenting on my citations of the experimental literature of parapsychology
Mike Huybensz says:

>How pathetic.  Almost every mention of early papers carried the warning
>"flawed, but the flaws were corrected later".

Oh come on.  In discussing some historical papers, I mention that a few of
them from fifty years ago had some methodological flaws.  I also mentioned
that the flaws were spotted (mostly by people within the field) and quickly
corrected.  Some other, more recent papers, used new techniques, some of which
were incomplete or had minor flaws in them.  Again these were corrected.

This is called refinement of experimental technique, and it is part of science.
It is, for example, why replication is required (at least in principal)
before new findings are accepted.  If a scientific field is to be considered
invalid on this basis, then there are no valid scientific fields.

For the most part the flaws in published, refereed papers are quite minor or
completely irrelevant to the question the existence of psi phenomena.  How
relevant is it that an author failed to completely exclude clairvoyance as
an alternate explanation in a telepathy experiment?

>						And a huge numebr of papers
>were about methodology, not phenomina.

I cited both sources of original papers and detailed technical surveys which
describe and give specific citations to experimental reports.  I would guess
that following up on these would produce somewhere around, say 1500
experimental reports.  If you follow up on the citations in these papers you
would end up with, I would guess, somewhere between 2500 and 3000 experimental
reports.

Since intelligent criticism can only be based on an understanding of
the methodology used in the field I provided some citations to papers which
surveyed methodology.  If you can find flaws in the methodologies discussed
in those surveys (assuming they accurately describe practice) you don't even
have to read the experiments, you will have invalidated the methods used in
those experiments.  One of those papers about methodology was even some
criticism of methodology used in the field.  It seemed to me that anyone who
honestly wanted to find out about the field would want to know what was in
those methodological surveys, so I included them.

So we have several thousand experimental papers, and a few methodological
papers, which in turn might cite a few dozen papers which are purely
methodological.  Hardly a "huge number of papers ... about methodology."  If
you're not interested don't read them; but be prepared to repeat the same
silly misunderstandings about methodology that critics keep making (e.g.,
Rich Rosen's criticism of the interpretation of negative deviations in psi
experiments and my response in this newsgroup).

>The fact is, there is NO demonstrable, reproducible psychic phenominon
>after who knows how many years of research.  Progress in parapsychology
>has closely paralleled progress in alchemical transmutation of elements:
>none, except as spinoffs of another field.  (Physics has given us
>radioactive decay and bombardment, biology has given us magnetic senses in
>a variety of organisms.)  Compare this to any other field recognized as
>science, and you will readily see why parapsychology is regarded as
>fraudulent.

I guess you can lead a Huybensz to water but you can't make him think :-)
(Sorry, couldn't resist).  The fact is, there IS demonstrable, reproducible
psychic phenomena.  I just finished telling you where you can find it
documented.  Unless you can show why that evidence should be considered
invalid, your denials of the existence of that evidence are simply statements
of faith.

It is true that psychic phenomena cannot be produced on demand, but then
neither can a local supernova or ball lightning .  It is true that it takes
certain skills and talents to be a successful experimenter but it also takes
skills and talent to do experiments depending on microsurgery.  A skilled
experimenter can elicit parapsychological phenomena somewhere between one
experiment in three and one experiment in two.  Not as reliable as we would
like, but hardly completely unreliable.

Progress in parapsychology has been slow but steady: we know more now than we
did ten years ago.  That you are ignorant of the results does not mean they
do not exist.  The field is an intrinsically very complex one, yet less
effort has probably been put into it in the last fifty years than was put
into, say, polywater research in the one or two year period between its
"discovery" and its debunking.

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (10/31/85)

In article <1148@decwrl.UUCP> cooper@pbsvax.DEC (Topher Cooper) writes:
> Commenting on my citations of the experimental literature of parapsychology
> Mike Huybensz says:
> >The fact is, there is NO demonstrable, reproducible psychic phenominon
> >after who knows how many years of research.
>
> The fact is, there IS demonstrable, reproducible
> psychic phenomena...

Wow, that sure sounds positive!  But then Topher starts to qualify the
statement with the traditional excuses...

> It is true that psychic phenomena cannot be produced on demand, but then
> neither can a local supernova or ball lightning.

A local supernova, while infrequent, is observed by much of the population
of the earth almost simultaneously.  (I have no significant opinion on
ball lightning.)  The "best" psychic phenomina (which compose your
literature, since you probably exclude Geller and his fraudulent ilk)
are privately performed by a few potential conspirators, out of the eyes
of skeptics.

> It is true that it takes
> certain skills and talents to be a successful experimenter but it also takes
> skills and talent to do experiments depending on microsurgery.  A skilled
> experimenter can elicit parapsychological phenomena somewhere between one
> experiment in three and one experiment in two.  Not as reliable as we would
> like, but hardly completely unreliable.

Golly, if we can compare it to something medical, it must be SCIENCE!
Experiments depending on microsurgery can be performed with skeptics in
charge of every aspect except the microsurgery, or with sufficiently
skilled skeptics.  Microsurgical technique is something readily
learned and independant of the experiment.  Experimental success in
parapsychology does not come to skeptics.

> Progress in parapsychology has been slow but steady: we know more now than we
> did ten years ago.  That you are ignorant of the results does not mean they
> do not exist.  The field is an intrinsically very complex one, yet less
> effort has probably been put into it in the last fifty years than was put
> into, say, polywater research in the one or two year period between its
> "discovery" and its debunking.

What you know now that you didn't ten years ago are alot of cases of
fraud, and some techniques for combatting them.

Is the field complex?  Well, theology is complex to: like theology, I'd
say the complexity is a result of too little data to base theory upon.

Has too little effort been spent on parapsychology?  It depends on your
attitude.  Many Christians say "If there is no God and you spend some
time worshipping, you lose little, but if there is you stand to gain
everything."  This is the same stupid attitude that will indefinitely
fund parapsychology, diverting resources from sound science that is
producing real results.  We've seen decades of fruitless research,
and have nothing to show for it except numerous exposed frauds.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

In article <1148@decwrl.UUCP> cooper@pbsvax.DEC (Topher Cooper) writes:
>It is true that psychic phenomena cannot be produced on demand, but then
>neither can a local supernova or ball lightning .  It is true that it takes
>certain skills and talents to be a successful experimenter but it also takes
>skills and talent to do experiments depending on microsurgery.  A skilled
>experimenter can elicit parapsychological phenomena somewhere between one
>experiment in three and one experiment in two.

This is not reproducibility in the ordinary (scientific) sense of the word.
The problem is not that the phenomena can only be elicited sometimes, but
the dependence on the experimenter.  What are these skills and talents
required to be a successful parapsychic researcher?  As far as I can tell,
the only available description of them is that one gets positive results
from parapsychology experiments.  As long as that is the case, one must
suspect the methodology or technique of those who get results.  In particular,
one must suspect that they are, intentionally or not, somehow giving the
subjects access to information which biases the results.  Unless you can
describe what these skills are, you really are coming up with a variant of
"the results only manifest in the proper environment," as originally charged.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka