[net.philosophy] Searle's Pearls

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) (10/18/85)

[]
     Here is the promised summary of John Searle's much-discussed
"Minds, Brains, and Programs".  In this posting, I shall *just*
summarize, and withhold any comments that I might be tempted to make.

     Searle identifies what he calles a "strong AI" thesis: "The
appropriately programmed computer really *is* a mind, in the sense
that computers given the right programs can be literally said to
*understand* and have other cognitive states."  Strong AI, then, is a
thesis that belongs to the more general philosophy of mind called
"Turing machine functionalism" (so much for refraining from comment).

     Searle believes the strong AI thesis to be false.  His key
argument is the "Chinese Room" counterexample...

     Imagine yourself in a little room.  From a slot in one wall, you
receive sheets of paper, with various inscriptions on them.  On the
table before you is a *large* manual.  Depending on the precise
configuration of the inscription you have received, you refer to
various rules and tables in the manual.  Following the complex
instructions therein, you draw some marks on a blank page and, when
finished, pass it through a slot on the other wall.

     The manual is written in English, which you understand, but the
marks on the papers mean nothing to you.  They are just marks.

     What you don't know is that the papers which you are receiving
are Chinese texts, and the papers you are passing through the outbound
slot are also Chinese texts.  Furthermore, your output papers are
perfectly *appropriate* Chinese texts; they are natural responses to
the input texts (even though you don't know this).  In short, you are
passing the Turing Test in Chinese.

     But you still don't *understand* Chinese.  All you understand is
the fiendishly complicated manual in front of you.  Conclusion:
instantiating a Turing Machine algorithm -- which is what you've been
doing -- is not a sufficient condition for understanding a natural
language, so the strong AI thesis is false.  In Searle's words,
"whatever purely formal principles you put into the computer, they
will not be sufficient for understanding, since a human will be
able to follow the formal principles without understanding anything."

     Searle considers and responds to various objections.  I won't
rehearse that part of the paper here.  I will, however, point out that
Searle is not defending dualism.  He says, "My view is that *only*
a machine could think, and indeed only very special kinds of machines,
namely brains and machines that had the same causal powers as brains.
And that is the main reason strong AI has had little to tell us about
thinking, since it has nothing to tell us about machines.  By its own
definition, it is about programs, and programs are not machines."

     I hope that this clarifies things for those who were wondering
about the references to Searle that have been appearing in this
newsgroup.  (Hey, Searle is at Berkeley.  Why doesn't somebody at
ucbvax get him onto the net?)

Todd Moody                 |  {allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!tmoody
Philosophy Department      |
St. Joseph's U.            |         "I couldn't fail to
Philadelphia, PA   19131   |          disagree with you less."

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (10/22/85)

Suppose you had the means to selectively and temporarily disable parts
of a human brain.  You might eventually discover, by experiment, two
portions of my brain with the following property:  when the rest of my
brain is shut off, I can still understand; yet when either of these two
parts is shut off, I become unable to understand.  Neither of these two
portions of my brain understand, yet the system consisting of both of
them working together *can* understand.

I suggest that, even though neither the man in the Chinese room, nor
the manual he reads from can be said to understand Chinese, the system
consisting of both man and manual understands Chinese.
--
David Canzi

There are too many thick books about thin subjects.

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) (10/27/85)

In article <1779@watdcsu.UUCP> dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) writes:

>I suggest that, even though neither the man in the Chinese room, nor
>the manual he reads from can be said to understand Chinese, the system
>consisting of both man and manual understands Chinese.
>--
>David Canzi

Searle anticipates this move, which he calls the "systems reply."  I
shall briefly summarize his response to it, and throw in my own $.02.
In fact, the easiest thing is to quote Searle directly:

"Let the individual internalize all of these elements of the system.
He memorizes the rules in the ledger and the data banks of Chinese
symbols, and he does all the calculations in his head.  The individual
then incorporates the entire system.  There isn't anything at all to
the system that he does not encompass.  We can even get rid of the
room and suppose he works outdoors.  All the same, he understands
nothing of the Chinese, and a fortiori neither does the system,
because there isn't anything in the system that isn't in him."

It seems to me that the response is quite clear.  But let's throw in a
few reminders about what Searle is up to.  First, he is NOT trying to
prove that the mind is not a Turing Machine.  Second, he is NOT trying
to prove that "machines will never think".  He IS interested in the
roots of intentionality, and he IS claiming that what makes a system
an "intentional system" is NOT the fact that it passes the Turing
Test, nor is it the fact that its brain is instantiating a Turing
Machine algorithm.  He is NOT claiming that intentional systems must
be made of neurons, although he does point out that biological systems
are just the right sorts of things to possess intentionality.

Why?  Because of the "causal powers" of biological systems.  If you
want to know more about what Searle thinks about this, his recent book
_Intentionality_ is where he puts it together.

The Chinese Room argument is only supposed to be a critique of the
Turing Test as providing a sufficient condition of intentionality.
Searle believes that you have to have a richer repertoire of
interactions with the environment and other beings to have sufficient
conditions of intentionality.  That means richer than what the Turing
Test measures.  Remember, the Turing Test is based on blind exchange
of typed texts.  People like Hofstadter claim that all interpresonal
relations are informal Turing Tests, but this is ridiculous.  The
whole point of the Turing Test, as set up by A. M. Turing himself, is
to establish a carefully *restricted* mode of interaction, in which
only text-exchange counts.  Throw away the restrictions, and you're
not talking about the Turing Test anymore.  Turing believed that
anything more than text-exchange would be extraneous to determining
intentionality.  THIS is what Searle is trying to refute.

Of course, Turing didn't talk about intentionality; he talked about
*thinking* and mental states.  But maybe there are important
distinctions to be made between intentionality, mental states, and
consciousness.

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (10/31/85)

In article <2461@sjuvax.UUCP> tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) writes:
>>I suggest that, even though neither the man in the Chinese room, nor
>>the manual he reads from can be said to understand Chinese, the system
>>consisting of both man and manual understands Chinese.
>
>Searle anticipates this move, which he calls the "systems reply." ...
>
>"Let the individual internalize all of these elements of the system.
>He memorizes the rules in the ledger and the data banks of Chinese
>symbols, and he does all the calculations in his head.  The individual
>then incorporates the entire system.  There isn't anything at all to
>the system that he does not encompass.  We can even get rid of the
>room and suppose he works outdoors.  All the same, he understands
>nothing of the Chinese, and a fortiori neither does the system,
>because there isn't anything in the system that isn't in him."

That's a tough one.  I won't attempt to argue against it until after
I've read Searle's paper, and maybe not even then.  But I do have
a couple of comments.

First, even though you say Searle was not trying to prove that machines
will never think, I can't see how one can escape that conclusion
if we accept the Chinese Room argument.  Let's carry the above a step
further, and have the man memorize a manual describing phonetic Chinese
instead of written Chinese, and have him follow the rules to generate
spoken responses to a *real* Chinese man who is talking to him.
Suppose, in the middle of the conversation, the phone rings.  The
Chinese man answers the phone, frowns, hangs up, then walks over to the
rule-following man and says, in Chinese, "There's been a bomb threat.
We have to leave the building."  The rule-following man responds in
Chinese, saying "Let's go." Then he sits and waits for the Chinese man
to say something else.

One step further: the manual not only describes the Chinese language,
but uses some notation to represent sensory observations and movements
of the body.  The man memorizes the manual and can carry out the rules
at the normal speed of somebody who really understands Chinese.
(Clearly he must be *very* talented.)  Repeat the bomb threat scenario,
and he gets up from his chair and heads for the exit, but doesn't know
why he's leaving.  There is no observable difference between
understanding and the lack thereof.  AI people have a good reason to be
annoyed by Searle's argument.

One final step, and I think this'll amuse you: add back the specs for
written Chinese in the manual used in the previous paragraph, have the
man memorize it, then put him to work in a Swahili Room, with a Swahili
manual written in Chinese...
--
David Canzi

Lazlo's Chinese Relativity Axiom:
     No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats
     approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (10/31/85)

Interesting, isn't it, that the man who knows the rules for Chinese
explicitly doesn't understand Chinese, while the people who *do*
understand *don't* know the rules...
--
David Canzi		"Permission is not freedom."

baba@spar.UUCP (Baba ROM DOS) (11/02/85)

>                                          Let's carry the above a step
> further, and have the man memorize a manual describing phonetic Chinese
> instead of written Chinese, and have him follow the rules to generate
> spoken responses to a *real* Chinese man who is talking to him.
> Suppose, in the middle of the conversation, the phone rings.  The
> Chinese man answers the phone, frowns, hangs up, then walks over to the
> rule-following man and says, in Chinese, "There's been a bomb threat.
> We have to leave the building."  The rule-following man responds in
> Chinese, saying "Let's go." Then he sits and waits for the Chinese man
> to say something else.
>
> One step further: the manual not only describes the Chinese language,
> but uses some notation to represent sensory observations and movements
> of the body.  The man memorizes the manual and can carry out the rules
> at the normal speed of somebody who really understands Chinese.
> (Clearly he must be *very* talented.)  Repeat the bomb threat scenario,
> and he gets up from his chair and heads for the exit, but doesn't know
> why he's leaving.  There is no observable difference between
> understanding and the lack thereof.
> --
> David Canzi

Indeed, following Wittgenstein, one can argue that the man in question
most evidently *did* understand at least the sentence "we have to leave
the building", even though he might not be able to identify the individual
words within the sentence.  Of course, a real human could eventually learn
to isolate and recombine the individual words once he had seen them in
a variety of contexts and associated with appropriately related
"sensory observations and movements".

Having studied Wittgenstein under Searle years ago, I think that Searle
would maintain that it is precisely the isolation of language behavior
from other behavior in the Chinese room that implies a lack of
understanding.
						Baba

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/04/85)

> Interesting, isn't it, that the man who knows the rules for Chinese
> explicitly doesn't understand Chinese, while the people who *do*
> understand *don't* know the rules...  [CANZI]

Might this have something to do with the very notion of consciousness,
that our minds understand and exercise rules, but "we" (our consciousnesses?)
are not (consciously?) aware of them?  (Sort of like believing we make
decisions "freely", through independent will free of dependencies, though
unaware of the root causes...)
--
"I was walking down the street.  A man came up to me and asked me what was the
 capital of Bolivia.  I hesitated.  Three sailors jumped me.  The next thing I

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/04/85)

> Indeed, following Wittgenstein, one can argue that the man in question
> most evidently *did* understand at least the sentence "we have to leave
> the building", even though he might not be able to identify the individual
> words within the sentence.  Of course, a real human could eventually learn
> to isolate and recombine the individual words once he had seen them in
> a variety of contexts and associated with appropriately related
> "sensory observations and movements".
>
> Having studied Wittgenstein under Searle years ago, I think that Searle
> would maintain that it is precisely the isolation of language behavior
> from other behavior in the Chinese room that implies a lack of
> understanding.
> 						Baba

Could one ever "learn" language in a vacuum, without context based on
experiencing and sensing the things that words represent?
--
"Mrs. Peel, we're needed..."			Rich Rosen 	ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr