[net.philosophy] traditional values

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/01/86)

In article <2225@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>	A man asked a beautiful woman at a bar, "Would you sleep with me if
>I offered you a million dollars."
>	With only a slight hesitation, the woman answered, "Of course."
>	In that case, would you sleep with me for five dollars.
>	"Certainly not!" answered the woman, "What do you think I am?"
>	"We've already established that," replied the man, "we're just
>haggling about price now."

I've heard that the above joke is from a true conversation
of Bertrand Russell.  Can anyone confirm?  And while we're
at it, there's the story of BR and a beautiful actress
discussing what their children would be like.  References?

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (02/03/86)

> In article <2225@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
> >	A man asked a beautiful woman at a bar, "Would you sleep with me if
> >I offered you a million dollars."
> >	With only a slight hesitation, the woman answered, "Of course."
> >	In that case, would you sleep with me for five dollars.
> >	"Certainly not!" answered the woman, "What do you think I am?"
> >	"We've already established that," replied the man, "we're just
> >haggling about price now."
>
> I've heard that the above joke is from a true conversation
> of Bertrand Russell.  Can anyone confirm?  And while we're
> at it, there's the story of BR and a beautiful actress
> discussing what their children would be like.  References?

Wrong. It was George Bernard Shaw.
--
jcpatilla

"Not faint canaries but ambrosia.."
(name the original source)

julian@riacs.UUCP (02/04/86)

> > In article <2225@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
> > >	A man asked a beautiful woman at a bar, "Would you sleep with me if
> > >I offered you a million dollars."
> > >	With only a slight hesitation, the woman answered, "Of course."
> > >	In that case, would you sleep with me for five dollars.
> > >	"Certainly not!" answered the woman, "What do you think I am?"
> > >	"We've already established that," replied the man, "we're just
> > >haggling about price now."
> >
> > I've heard that the above joke is from a true conversation
> > of Bertrand Russell.  Can anyone confirm?  And while we're
> > at it, there's the story of BR and a beautiful actress
> > discussing what their children would be like.  References?
>
> Wrong. It was George Bernard Shaw.
> --
> jcpatilla
>
> "Not faint canaries but ambrosia.."
> (name the original source)

And I've seen it attributed to Winston Churchill.
--
"If Chaos himself sat umpire, what better could he do?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez  (ARPA: julian@riacs)
	415-694-6141        415-694-6363  (UUCP: decvax!decwrl!julian@riacs)
	RIACS - Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (Michael Ross) (02/05/86)

>> I've heard that the above joke is from a true conversation
>> of Bertrand Russell.  Can anyone confirm?  And while we're
>> at it, there's the story of BR and a beautiful actress
>> discussing what their children would be like.  References?
>
>Wrong. It was George Bernard Shaw.
>--
>jcpatilla
>
>"Not faint canaries but ambrosia.."
>(name the original source)

I've noticed that, if you don't know who said something witty, you're
probably safe to attribute it to:
	1) George Bernard Shaw
	2) Mark Twain
	3) Winston Churchill

and on certain occasions:
	4) Oscar Wilde

except if it contains mangled English, in which case it's:
	5) Yogi Berra
	6) Leo Durocher
	7) Casey Stengel

	--MKR
	:-)

greg@unlv.UUCP (Greg Wohletz) (02/09/86)

>>	A man asked a beautiful woman at a bar, "Would you sleep with me if
>>I offered you a million dollars."
>>	With only a slight hesitation, the woman answered, "Of course."
>>	In that case, would you sleep with me for five dollars.
>>	"Certainly not!" answered the woman, "What do you think I am?"
>>	"We've already established that," replied the man, "we're just
>>haggling about price now."
>
> I've heard that the above joke is from a true conversation
> of Bertrand Russell.  Can anyone confirm?  And while we're
> at it, there's the story of BR and a beautiful actress
> discussing what their children would be like.  References?
	I actually witnessed a profesor pull that one on a girl in a large
101 class in my freshman year.  She was not amused....
University of Nevada, Las Vegas			--Greg Wohletz
"Death to Kate Bush"				greg%unlv@CSNet-Relay
"Long live Stevie Ray Vaughan"			seismo!unrvax!unlv!greg

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/12/86)

In article <120@csee-vax.unlv.UUCP> greg@unlv.UUCP (Greg Wohletz) writes:
>>>	A man asked a beautiful woman at a bar, "Would you sleep with me if
>>>I offered you a million dollars."
>>>	With only a slight hesitation, the woman answered, "Of course."
>>>	In that case, would you sleep with me for five dollars.
>>>	"Certainly not!" answered the woman, "What do you think I am?"
>>>	"We've already established that," replied the man, "we're just
>>>haggling about price now."
>>
>> I've heard that the above joke is from a true conversation
>> of Bertrand Russell.  Can anyone confirm?  And while we're
>> at it, there's the story of BR and a beautiful actress
>> discussing what their children would be like.  References?
>	I actually witnessed a profesor pull that one on a girl in a large
>101 class in my freshman year.  She was not amused....
>University of Nevada, Las Vegas			--Greg Wohletz
>"Death to Kate Bush"				greg%unlv@CSNet-Relay
>"Long live Stevie Ray Vaughan"			seismo!unrvax!unlv!greg

A large 101 class? Oh, yeah, now I remember. I took large 101 when
I was in school. It was a mick.
:-)
		--MKR