[net.philosophy] What's All This, Then

breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) (02/12/86)

||Isn't it funny? When molecular biologists started working with recombinant
||DNA, there were actually bozos who thought it was dangerous!!!!! :-(
||We must be careful with technologies that are not well understood.
||Molecular biologists worked with extreme care and precautions until
||it was found that recombinant DNA from non-pathogenic organisms is
||harmless. I wish that physicists had exercised the same caution
||when exploding the first fission and fusion bombs. I am not certain
||about the historical development, but it seems to me that *at the
||time* of the first atomic bomb, there was no way to exclude the
||possibility of starting a chain reaction in the atmosphere or ground
||with a reasonable degree of certainty. It does not matter whether
||it turned out to be 'harmless' after all, if there is the possibility
||that an experiment endangers the survival of our whole species, it
||is irresponsible and criminal to conduct it.
|
|ANY new experiment POSSIBLY may endanger the survival of our species.
|Unless you are willing to define:
|	1) What is a reasonable degree of certainty?
|	2) Who decides what the probability for disaster
|	of a given experiment are?  By what criteria?
|	3) Should or should not the possible benefits of such an
|	experiment be weighed in the balance?  Who judges the benefits?
|such talk is meaningless.

[Sorry for quoting the whole thing again]

No, you cannot hide behind administrative mumbo-jumbo to avoid the question.
This is not a question of 'who decides' or 'how can we weigh'. If
YOU are a scientist and other people are uttering doubts about
the safety of YOUR experiments, you MUST take them seriously.
This is YOUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY as a scientist.

As the self-control of molecular biologists has shown, scientists
are willing to slow down their research and avoid experiments that
are potentially dangerous. What worries me is that such self-control
is in effect discouraged by existing funding and employment policies.
If you study the Manhattan project, for example, you will find that the
logistics and psychology of the project precluded this self-control of
scientists. It was only after the war that many members of the scientific
staff began to reflect on the implications of their project.

						Thomas.

PS: needless to state explicitely that I believe that there is no
possible benefit, political, ethical, moral, economical, that
justifies an experiment that poses a threat to the survival of
our species. Once there are no humans anymore, there is no-one to
benefit anymore either... (but, then, there is no-one left to accuse the
experimentor of mass-murder either).

Re: potentially dangerous experiments

The question remains, who decides whether an experiment should
be performed?  My answer would be, the one who will conduct the
experiment.  (If several people are involved, then the principal
investigator.)  None of the alternatives, including this one,
are fully satisfactory, but there is at least a chance that the
researcher is in a position to weigh the actual risks against
the probable benefits.  I have yet to see a case where "40
million Frenchmen" or their appointed political representatives
have been right about any matter of science or technology (or
ethics or morality, either).

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (02/19/86)

In article <937@h-sc1.UUCP>, breuel@h-sc1.UUCP (thomas breuel) writes:
> |ANY new experiment POSSIBLY may endanger the survival of our species.
> |Unless you are willing to define:
> |	1) What is a reasonable degree of certainty?
> |	2) Who decides what the probability for disaster
> |	of a given experiment are?  By what criteria?
> |	3) Should or should not the possible benefits of such an
> |	experiment be weighed in the balance?  Who judges the benefits?
> |such talk is meaningless.
> No, you cannot hide behind administrative mumbo-jumbo to avoid the question.
> This is not a question of 'who decides' or 'how can we weigh'. If
> YOU are a scientist and other people are uttering doubts about
> the safety of YOUR experiments, you MUST take them seriously.
> This is YOUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY as a scientist.

Umm, hows that again?  I thought the first poster was making the case
that there is always SOME uncertainty; and, therefor, some risk of
destroying the human race, in any experiment.  It is a matter of
degree rather than kind.  While I may hold that at some DEGREE of
risk, we need restraint; I don't hold that at ANY risk we need
restraint.  At the same time, if ones peers are concerned, this
might be a valid indicator of sufficient degree of risk...

For instance (this is extreme, yes, but is intended to illustrate
the idea of minescule but non zero risk):  Say I planned to
test a pesticide on fruit flies.  The stuff is very mildly
mutagenic.  A virus in the fly is mutated to a lethal strain.
End of human race.  Does this mean no testing of pesticides?
What about testing of soap?  Drugs?  Where to draw the line?
At a REASONABLE probability.  It is NOT impossible for a new
virus to be created in this way.  It could be created by the
random action of cosmic rays, for that matter.  It IS HIGHLY
UNLIKELY.  That is the nub.

I think it is not hiding behind mumbo jumbo to address the
fundamental issues.  Unless you can prove that some experiment
contains ABSOLUTLY NO RISK WHATSOEVER, the premise that the magnitude
must be weighed is valid.
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.