[net.philosophy] God Loves, Claremont Kills response part two

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (02/22/86)

In article <512@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>Part two of response on "God Loves, Man Kills".
>
>In article <2667@colossus.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) writes:
>
>>And as to a "punch-out", by FAR the best thing about this book is
>>the conclusion, with the X-Men and Kitty refraining from attacking Stryker.
>
>This sort of Star Trek "I'm better than you are"-ism is one of Claremont's
>worst points.  Someone actually LIKES this sort of heavy-handed moralizing???
>(Of course, Marv Wolfman does.  Next question.)  What I enjoy is watching for
>the deus ex machina that invariably resolves the situation.  Will the aliens
>come down and tell Kirk that he wins because he wouldn't kill?  Does a cop
>blow away the bad guy?  Stay tuned next week for "Too Wimpy To Make My
>Characters Face Up to their Responsibilities"....

*I* like this kind of "heavy-handed moralizing".  Possibly I am infinitely
naive, but I happen to think that "Good" *is* better than "Evil" and one of
the reasons that I think so is because *good* while admitting that it may
be imperfect, strives to do better than its limitations; and it does not
fight *evil* with its own weapons.  If *good* does so, then *evil* has already
won, has it not?  The end never justifies the means.

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."