[net.philosophy] Minor Strokes

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/06/86)

I am cross-posting to net.med from net.philosophy:

In article <570@hoptoad.uucp> laura@hoptoad.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:
>In article <3363@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>>It appears to be
>>attached to several brain areas; one can destroy the recognition function by
>>damaging the area, but one cannot change it so that, for instance, photos of
>>JFK and of flowerpots are confused, but nothing else is changed.
>
>Actually, from the people recovering from strokes I have dealt with,
>I am not sure that your last sentence is correct.    Some stroke
>victims appear to have something approaching this problem -- they
>get ``lampshades'' and ``umbrellas'' confused, for instance.  I don't
>know whether this means that their concepts are confused, or whether
>they just get the wrong word when they do the mental search for the
>name of the concept.

I like to skim through _Brain and Language_ every so often.  A recent
issue contained an interesting case, where a woman lost the ability to
name fruits and vegetables.  She still recognized them and could use
them functionally and understood their names, but was incapable of
saying "apple" or "spinach".  This is a very minor aphasia.

My guess is that most stroke victims lose some incredibly minor part of
their former mind, so minor that no one ever notices.  Thus, if a stroke
victim lost nothing but the ability to distinguish photos of JFK from
flowerpots, I doubt the difficulty would show up before the patient is
sent home.  The attending physicians, nurses, relatives, and other patients
may notice that the patient is ever so slightly more respectful to the
flowerpots, but probably not.

And in more realistic variants, not even that minor clue will show up.  If
a sixty year old stroke victim lost his ability to distinguish WWII air-
planes--an ability he hasn't cared about in forty years--and nothing else,
no one could be expected to notice.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720