[net.philosophy] The Twins

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/21/86)

In reading Oliver Sacks _The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat_, I came
across a rather vivid chapter.  (I cross-posted to net.jokes.d since it
reminds me quite strongly of the jail jokes.)  Summarizing seems impossible.
(The rest of the book is also worth reading.)

It concerns John and Michael, identical twins and idiot savants.  Physic-
ally
   they are undersized, with disturbing disproportions in head and hands,
   high-arched palates, high-arched feet, monotonous squeaky voices, a
   variety of peculiar tics and mannerisms, and a very high, degenerative
   myopia, requiring glassses so thick that their eyes seem distorted,
   giving them ...  a misplaced, obsessed and absurd concentration.

In the early sixties, they gave frequent performances of some of their
talents:
   You give them a date, and, almost instantly, they tell you what day of
   the week it would be. ... One may observe ... that their eyes move and
   fix in a peculiar way as they do this--as if they were unrolling ... a
   mental calender. ...
   Their memory for digits is remarkable--and possibly unlimited.  They will
   repeat a number of three digits, of thirty digits, of three hundred digits,
   with equal ease.

He goes on to mention that they have difficulty adding and subtracting,
and apparently have no comprehension of multiplication and division.  He
then tells of his first discovery of further talents:
   A box of matches on their table fell, and discharged its contents on
   the floor: '111,' they both cried sumultaneously; and then, in a murmer
   John said '37'.  Michael repeated this, John said it a third time and
   stopped.  I counted the matches ... and there were 111.
   'How could you count the matches so quickly?' I asked. 'We didn't
   count,' they said.  'We *saw* the 111.'
   'And why di you murmur '37', and repeat it three times?' I asked the
   twins.  They said in unison, '37,37,37,111.'
   And this, if possible, I found even more puzzling.  That they should
   *see* 111--'111-ness'--in a flash was extraordinary....  But they had
   gone on to 'factor' the number 111--without having any method, without
   even 'knowing' (in the ordinary way) what factors meant.

The author tries to understand this, and compares them with Borges' story
'Funes the Memorious'.  Then comes what I found most remarkable.

   This second time they were seated in a corner together, with a
   mysterious, secret smile on their faces, a smile I had never seen
   before, enjoying the strange pleasure and peace they now seemed
   to have.  ... They seemed to be locked in a singular, purely
   numerical, converse.  John would say a number--a six-figure number.
   Michael would catch the number, nod, smile and seem to savour it.
   Then he, in turn, would say another six-figure number, and now it
   was John who received, and appreciated it richly.  They looked, at
   first, like two connoisseurs wine-tasting....
   *What* were they doing? ... It was perhaps a sort of game, but it
   had a gravity and an intensity, a sort of serene and meditative and
   almost holy intensity which I had never seen in any ordinary game
   before, and which I certainly had never seen before in the usually
   agitated and distracted twins.  I contented myself with noting down
   the numbers ....
   Had the numbers any meaning, I wondered ....  Were these 'Borgesian'
   or 'Funesian' numbers, or ... private number-forms ... known to the
   twins alone? ....
   I had a hunch--and now I confirmed it.  *All the numbers, the six
   figure numbers, which the twins had exchanged, were primes.*
   I returned to the ward the next day, carrying the precious book of
   primes with me.  ... I quietly joined them.  They were taken aback
   at first, but when I made no interruption, they resumed their 'game'
   of six-figure primes.  After a few minutes I decided to join in, and
   ventured a number, an eight-figure prime.  They both turned towards
   me, then suddenly became still, with a look of intense concentration
   and perhaps wonder on their faces.  There was a long pause--the
   longest I had ever known them to make, it must have lasted a half-
   minute or more--and then suddenly, simultaneously, they both broke
   into smiles.
   They had ... suddenly seen my own eight-digit number as a prime--
   and this was manifestly a great joy, a double joy, to them: first
   because I had introduced a delightful new plaything, a prime of an
   order they had never previously encountered; and secondly, because
   it was evident that I had see what they were doing, that I liked it,
   that I admired it, and that I could join in myself.
   They drew apart slightly, making room for me, a new playmate, a
   third in their world.  Then John, who always took the lead, thought
   for a very long time--it must have been at least five minutes,
   though I dared not move ...--and brought out a nine-figure number;
   and after a similar time his twin Michael responded with a similar
   one.  And then I, in my turn, after a surreptitious look in my book,
   added my own ... a ten-figure prime ....

I have no idea what to make of this, and would welcome discussion on
these twins.  net.philosophy seems the appropriate group, and so I
have directed followups there.

The chapter has a sad ending.  At some point it was decided that 'for
their own good' they were separated and put in halfway houses doing
closely supervised manual labor.  Without their constant exchange, they
lost their talents and 'the chief joy and sense of their lives'.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

eisaman@ihlpl.UUCP (Eisaman) (02/21/86)

>    They drew apart slightly, making room for me, a new playmate, a
>    third in their world.  Then John, who always took the lead, thought
>    for a very long time--it must have been at least five minutes,
>    though I dared not move ...--and brought out a nine-figure number;
>    and after a similar time his twin Michael responded with a similar
>    one.  And then I, in my turn, after a surreptitious look in my book,
>    added my own ... a ten-figure prime ....

I was dissapointed with the end of this, all along I was expecting a
punch line at the end.  As soon as they started thinking long and hard
to come up with a nine-figure prime and then put to the test of a
ten-figure prime.  I visioned, calculator tape coming out of thier
mouths, smoke and sparks coming from the ears, and finally thier
heads blowing up, with springs and resistors flying about the room.
And then the guy says, "Damn, blew another fuse."

I like my ending better.

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/27/86)

In article <621@ihlpl.UUCP> eisaman@ihlpl.UUCP (Eisaman) writes:
>>    They drew apart slightly, making room for me, a new playmate, a
>>    third in their world.  Then John, who always took the lead, thought
>>    for a very long time--it must have been at least five minutes,
>>    though I dared not move ...--and brought out a nine-figure number;
>>    and after a similar time his twin Michael responded with a similar
>>    one.  And then I, in my turn, after a surreptitious look in my book,
>>    added my own ... a ten-figure prime ....
>>

>I was dissapointed with the end of this, all along I was expecting a
>punch line at the end.  As soon as they started thinking long and hard
>to come up with a nine-figure prime and then put to the test of a
>ten-figure prime.  I visioned, calculator tape coming out of thier
>mouths, smoke and sparks coming from the ears, and finally thier
>heads blowing up, with springs and resistors flying about the room.
>And then the guy says, "Damn, blew another fuse."
>
>I like my ending better.

I don't.

When reading the account, I was expecting Dr. Sacks to experiment
and offer them a large composite.  Would they start screaming or
go catatonic (or not notice)?  We'll never know.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

eisaman@ihlpl.UUCP (Eisaman) (03/06/86)

> > [...]
> >I like my ending better.
>
> I don't.