[net.philosophy] Fire walking: WHAT contempt? It was investigated.

jlg@lanl.ARPA (Jim Giles) (03/14/86)

In article <469@ccivax.UUCP> rb@ccivax.UUCP (What's in a name ?) writes:
>True, but the ability to lower the electrical output to the EEG/Biofeedback
>monitor involves a change in consciousness.  This "different conciousness
>is a technique used by fire walkers and yogi's in india.  I still don't
>know why fire walkers don't burn their feet.  Any explanations?

Fire walking can be done by ANYONE!!  It has nothing to do with your state
of mind, your electrical output, or any other unexplained phenomenon.  It
is entirely a result of the interaction of hot coals and feet.

Part of the explanation was given by a physics professor in _Scientific
American_ "The Amateur Scientist" a few years back.  His explanation was a
vapor layer caused by the sudden heating of moisture from your foot.  Most
scientists agreee this happens, but is only part of the explanation.  The
other part has to do with the nature of hot 'coals' from a wood fire: the
contact with your foot cools the surface layer of ash on the coals, since
ash is a very good insulator it keeps the heat from reaching your foot.
You can tell that this happens by watching the coal bed behind a fire
walker as he moves across the bed - his footprints are visible as darker
outlines in the coal bed.

Even with these effects working for you, firewalking can still burn your
feet.  You must walk quickly and deliberately across the coals.  If you
panic and try to rush, you will probably burn your feet by crushing or
brushing off the ash layer that protects you.  Also, for any particular
coal-bed temperature, there appears to be a time limit for a successful
traverse; more than about 30 seconds seems difficult to achieve without
burns.  This is probably because your feet slowly heat up to critical
temperatures even with the insulation provided by vapor cushions and ashes.
This should be no surprise to anyone that has walked across hot parking
lots as a kid, the first half the distance is easy, the rest of the way
hurts!

J. Giles
Los Alamos