[net.philosophy] Tarski's definition of truth

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu (Tom Tedrick) (03/16/86)

Can someone explain Tarski's definition of truth to me?
I never quite understood it.

In the last graduate course in mathematical logic that I
took, many years ago (which convinced me that mathematical
logic was not the field for me), I remember Prof. Vaught
walking up and down in front of the class, saying
"The statement 'Grass is green' is true iff grass is green",
and smiling a funny smile.

Is it possible for someone to clue me in as to what is going
on, or is this as difficult to explain as a koan ...

It was especially disturbing to me because I had spent a month
the previous summer convincing myself that I could prove that
it was impossible to define truth ...

	     -Tom
	      tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu

torek@umich.UUCP (Paul V. Torek ) (03/17/86)

That's about all there is to it, Tom -- Tarski's theory of truth isn't much
of a "theory".  `"Grass is green" is true iff grass is green' about sums it
up.  On Tarski's view, saying `"S" is true' is redundant; one can say the same
thing by saying `S' (where S is a proposition).

--Paul Torek							torek@umich

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/17/86)

In article <12411@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>Can someone explain Tarski's definition of truth to me?

I'll give it a shot.

>In the last graduate course in mathematical logic that I
>took, many years ago (which convinced me that mathematical
>logic was not the field for me), I remember Prof. Vaught
>walking up and down in front of the class, saying
>"The statement 'Grass is green' is true iff grass is green",
>and smiling a funny smile.

Two points.  First truth in logic refers to truth in some model.
Not to any absolute truth.  Second, any logical sentence can be
broken down into well determined atomic formulas.  Each of these
atomic formulas has a definite truth value within the model.
(That's what makes them atomic.)

Any logical sentence can be broken down into it's atomic parts,
and they are then checked in the model in question, and put back
together by following the meaning of the logical symbols joining
the atomic statements.

The statement "'Grass is green' is true iff grass is green" is a
standard way of illustrating the process I just outlined where
the model is by default the real world.

Prof. Vaught smiled because it is humorous.

>It was especially disturbing to me because I had spent a month
>the previous summer convincing myself that I could prove that
>it was impossible to define truth ...

That refers to Tarski's famous theorem about truth.  This refers
specificly to number theory, and says no formula in the language
of Peano Arithmetic can capture the essence of truth for the
standard model of Peano Arithmetic.  There are, in contrast,
non-standard models of Peano Arithmetic which have internal
truth definitions.

Too bad Prof. Vaught didn't cover this theorem.  (Usually done
right after you finish Godel's first incompleness theorem.)
Because he would have then smiled and told you that Tarski's
other great accomplishment, in addition to defining truth, was
his proving the undefinability of truth.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (03/18/86)

In article <12411@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu (Tom Tedrick) writes:
> Can someone explain Tarski's definition of truth to me?
> I never quite understood it.

> The statement 'Grass is green' is true iff grass is green

There's much more to Tarski's theory than this, but to start
here:

The left hand side ascribes truth to a certain sentence,
and the right hand side describes a fact about the world.
The statement asserts that the sentence is true iff the
fact holds.
This is not a *theory* of truth, but a condition of adequacy
that any theory of truth has to fulfil.
Tarski wanted to ascribe truth to sentences, via the notion
of satisfaction of formulae (sentences with object-place-holders).
He was able to explain how a sentence with multiple quantifiers
can inherit its truth value from its parts, something which had
puzzled logicians from Aristotle onwards.

The best way to start is to read the original article,
"The Semantic Conception of Truth" in his collection
"Logic, Semantics, Metamathematics", easily obtainable
from the UCB Philosophy Library.

Peter Ladkin

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (03/19/86)

In article <12454@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU
(Matthew P. Wiener) writes [regarding Tarski's truth defn]:
> Two points.  First truth in logic refers to truth in some model.
> Not to any absolute truth.  Second, any logical sentence can be
> broken down into well determined atomic formulas.  Each of these
> atomic formulas has a definite truth value within the model.

I'm not sure I agree with your first point.
Logical validity is defined by quantifying over all models,
by Tarski. Validity is not *absolute*?

Secondly, atomic formulas do not have a definite truth value within
the model. They have truth values *under an assignment*.
A formula can only have a definite truth value in your sense
if its universal closure is true, or if the universal closure
of its negation is false.

Peter Ladkin

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/20/86)

In article <5961@kestrel.ARPA> ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) writes:
>In article <12454@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU
>(Matthew P. Wiener) writes [regarding Tarski's truth defn]:
>> Two points.  First truth in logic refers to truth in some model.
>> Not to any absolute truth.  Second, any logical sentence can be
>> broken down into well determined atomic formulas.  Each of these
>> atomic formulas has a definite truth value within the model.
>
>I'm not sure I agree with your first point....
>Secondly, atomic formulas do not have a definite truth value within....

Yes, Peter, your points are correct.  I was deliberately simplifying
the explanation, since otherwise the point I was trying to get through
to Tom would have been lost.  Based on his later thanks, I think I did
what he and I wanted.  You are welcome to post the full definition--I
did not think those who know better could have been confused.

I've written a few long and semi-detailed mathematical articles, and
they sure take up time.

But thanks for the clarification anyway, since I might have proven to
some people elsewhere that I don't know any logic.  :-)  As it is, I'll
try to post accuracy disclaimers when necessary.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720