[net.philosophy] Hofstadter flame

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/23/86)

In article <725@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>>Ummm, what works of Smullyan are you refering to? I have
>>about 5 of his books (one on formal logic, two on retrograde
>>chess analysis, two on popularized logic {like What Is The Name
>>Of This Book}). He also gave a talk in Berkeley a few years ago
>>that I had the pleasure of hearing.
>>
>>Also, I never took Hofstatder seriously after reading GEB.
>>Was that a mistake?

Smullyan titles appropriate to the question include:
>The Tao is Silent
5000 BC
This Book Needs No Title

>[Matthew, you may wish to tune out at this juncture.]

>Hofstadter is whimsical in his imagery, but deadly serious in his
>quest for deeper understanding.  He is basically a translator who
>takes arcane material and dresses it up for a larger audience.
>Hof is teaching us how to play, be creative, be entertaining,
>and learn to enjoy ourselves as we learn.  I love him.

[Barry, you may wish to tune out at this juncture.]

But Hofstadter does a poor and deceptive and irritating job.  He uses
the gosh-wiz-aren't-I-clever technique until I want to puke.  I remember
reading one chapter of GEB, noticing some big letters, so I spelled them
out at that point.  And then later in the chapter he points out how clever
he was.  Sure.

To illustrate recursion he picked a complicated example from his thesis in
physics, saying you can't really understand this but don't worry.  Utterly
unnecessary and highly irritating.  Binomial coefficients are a much more
accessible example.

His summary of the impact of Godel's theorem on mathematicians of the time
is mostly wrong and misleading.

In his discussion of the ants as a separate entity, he never makes it clear
that this his just his analogy, having nothing to do with actual entomology.
It was a popular theory in the 1930's, but a small word to the wise would
not have hurt.

In discussing Vinograd's ETAION SHRDLU, he does not let the reader know that
Vinograd has become one of the apostates of AI, based on his own experiences
with his own program.

The book was really GB, with E playing an almost trivial role, except for
one or two prints.  Escher deserves a lot better treatment.

Reading GEB was a VERY strange experience.  I start the book agreeing with
his entire thesis, and by the end of the book I have serious doubts if AI
has any hopes at all of getting out of it's current rut.  For one thing,
if all of AI is as excerebrose as DH is, they won't ever be able to program
themselves out of a wet paper bag.

I remember Metamagical Themas when it was in _Scientific American_.  One
or two articles on self-reference is tolerable, but after a while he was
stuck in an awful rut.  Yes, he had an article on Rubik's cube and an
article on the dynamics of iterated interval maps, both quite good.  But
when returned to his favorite topics, he returned to his usual style.

I started one article on Turing's test that had three sexually ambiguously
named characters, and stopped reading the article right after I began it.
Why?  Because later on he was going to discuss the male/female part of the
original Turing Test, and then point out how clever he was in running the
same test on me.  If DH has a point, it need not ALWAYS be made by slamming
it into my face.  *I* don't call that clever, but he does.  Far more effective
would be to have not said anything at all, and let the reader notice, perhaps
a year later, what he did.  That is called genuine style.  DH has none.

[This last paragraph could be all wrong, of course.  He may very well have
not finished the article as I am hypothesizing.  But some people are just
so damned predictable.]

Perhaps this is the price I pay for knowing too much modern science--writers
like Hofstadter will always irritate me.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (03/29/86)

In article <12561@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:

>To illustrate recursion he picked a complicated example from his thesis in
>physics, saying you can't really understand this but don't worry.  Utterly
>unnecessary and highly irritating.  Binomial coefficients are a much more
>accessible example.

Before he gives the example from physics, he gives examples using Fibonacci
numbers, and transition networks, and graphs.  I don't think there is
anything wrong with giving a complicated example _after_ giving several
simple examples.

--
Just picking nits on a Friday evening, waiting for traffic to settle
down so I can go home...

Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim