[net.philosophy] Value of therapy

g-rh@cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) (03/14/86)

In article <> rwl@uvacs.UUCP (Ray Lubinsky) writes:
>> >Clinical and Applied Psychology.
>>
>> I wish this were more of a "taboo" than it is.  Studies show that as many
>> people are hurt as are helped by therapy.
>
>I don't what study you're talking about, but I have heard that most (70% or
>more) of people who have attended therapy/councilling found it beneficial.
>Therapy is much maligned by people who have no personal experience with it
>-- in fact, by otherwise rational and intelligent people.
>
>Perhaps you should keep an open mind about topics in which you are less
>qualified than others to pass judgment -- even personal judgment.  I've been
>involved in therapy and found it to be very helpful.
>--
	For what it is worth there are studies which purport to show
	that the spontaneous remission rate for disturbences severe
	enough that therapy is considered appropriate is on the order
	of 65% -- i.e. that 'no treatment' is as effective as therapy.
	A reference is 'The Case Against Psychoanalysis', which is
	about 20 years old.  I have a copy in my vast and disorderly
	library which I can't find immediately.  If there is interest
	I will try to dig it up and post more details.

	Richard Harter, SMDS Inc.

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (03/17/86)

>	For what it is worth there are studies which purport to show
>	that the spontaneous remission rate for disturbences severe
>	enough that therapy is considered appropriate is on the order
>	of 65% -- i.e. that 'no treatment' is as effective as therapy.
>	A reference is 'The Case Against Psychoanalysis', which is
>	about 20 years old.  I have a copy in my vast and disorderly
>	library which I can't find immediately.  If there is interest
>	I will try to dig it up and post more details.

If you are referring to Andrew Salter's book of the same title, I
recall it as a terrible, amateurish book by a behaviorist with a huge
axe to grind against psychoanalysis, but it's been years since I
looked at it.  Hans Eysenck's polemics against psychoanalysis belong
in the same trash bin.  A much more serious effort is *The Scientific
Credibility of Freud's Theories and Therapy* edited by Seymour Fisher
of female orgasmic fame.  Of course, these only deal with analysis,
not with therapy in general.

What I have read is that studies consistently show that about 2/3 of
patients in therapy experience significant improvement, and about
5-10% get worse.  The methodology of this type of study obviously
presents severe difficulties.  If you want the straight dope on this
subject as with any other, you will have to go to the authoritative
literature rather than relying on the net for your info, misinfo, or
disinfo as the case may be.
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/18/86)

> >> I wish this were more of a "taboo" than it is.  Studies show that as many
> >> people are hurt as are helped by therapy.
> >
> >I don't what study you're talking about, but I have heard that most (70% or
> >more) of people who have attended therapy/councilling found it beneficial.
> >Therapy is much maligned by people who have no personal experience with it
> >-- in fact, by otherwise rational and intelligent people.
> >
> >Perhaps you should keep an open mind about topics in which you are less
> >qualified than others to pass judgment -- even personal judgment.  I've been
> >involved in therapy and found it to be very helpful.
> >--
> 	For what it is worth there are studies which purport to show
> 	that the spontaneous remission rate for disturbences severe
> 	enough that therapy is considered appropriate is on the order
> 	of 65% -- i.e. that 'no treatment' is as effective as therapy.
> 	A reference is 'The Case Against Psychoanalysis', which is
> 	about 20 years old.  I have a copy in my vast and disorderly
> 	library which I can't find immediately.  If there is interest
> 	I will try to dig it up and post more details.
>
> 	Richard Harter, SMDS Inc.

Ditto.  I've read that the spontaneous cure rate for schizophrenia is
33%.  The psychoanalytic cure rate is 35%.  Big improvement.

jlg@lanl.UUCP (03/19/86)

In article <421@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) writes:
>...                            and I can easily quote two books in favor of
>therapy to each one against. These books, by Sigmund Freud, Anna Freud,
>Erik Erikson, and a dozen other highly intelligent ( as can be judged by
>other than their psychotherapy works) make what seems to many of us to be
>a clear case for the existence of diagnosable mental disorders AND METHODS
>OF TREATMENT. BTW, treatment often includes drug ,e.g. antidepressant
>therapy.

There are many people (including many in the psychological community) that
don't hold Freud or any of his followers in much esteem.  In fact, MOST
psychologists now seem to feel that MOST of Freud's ideas were pure
hogwash.  This is not to say that the field of psychology doesn't owe
anything to Freud: without him, it would have taken MUCH longer for
psychology to gain respectability in the general population.

As far as the effectiveness of treatment is concerned, it really IS the
case that treatment only helps if the patient thinks it will help.  In this
respect, it differs very little from other placebo treatments.  There ARE
disorders which benefit greatly from therapy (phobias for example, where
the treatment is a form of behavior modification).  The are other disorders
which never benefitted from therapy (schizophrenia for example, no real
headway was made until it was discovered to be an imbalance in brain
chemistry - even though psychologists pocketed fees for years before for
'treating' schizophrenic patients).

Modern psychology differs greatly from the 'science' advocated by Freud.
The great strides in psychology today are in the areas where it overlaps
conventional medicine in finding physical causes of disorders (like
schizophrenia - Freud would probably maintained that it was outside the
field of psychology if it had a physical origin).  The stereotypical
therapy of talking with the therapist was always controversial and is
still, in many cases, the most suspect part of modern psychology.

J. Giles
Los Alamos

Note: I have no particular, in depth, knowledge of psychology.  I know
      psychologists though, so my claim about their opinions (at least
      about Freud) can be fairly well documented.

Note2: I have used the term 'psychologist' uniformly to mean 'any
       professional in the field of psychology'.  I know there is a more
       restrictive professional use of the term (ie. 'psychologist' as
       opposed to 'psychiatrist').

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/21/86)

In article <421@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) writes:
>[discussion of the viability of psychotherapy deleted]

>If you really think that *65% spontaneous remission* occurs, go look at
>the bag ladies in any city.

What exactly is this sentence doing in your article?  At best it is giving
a circular appeal to your argument.  At worst it is giving a circular appeal
to your argument.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

In article <617@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP writes:

[With regard to the performance of psychotherapy]

>  I've read that the spontaneous cure rate for schizophrenia is
>33%.  The psychoanalytic cure rate is 35%.  Big improvement.

It's been known for some time now that therapy is of little use in the
treatment of schitzophrenia.  THere are numerous other signs, including its
responsiveness to drug treatment, which suggest that it represents a
neurochemical problem.

Even so, the conclusions that can be drawn from this are quite limited in
scope.  Using this to cast aspersions upon psychotherapy is an error of a
type we commonly see in n.philo, an error in generalization.  In this case,
there is little reason to presume that all psychological disturbances are
similar both in nature and in cause.

C. Wingate

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/01/86)

> In article <617@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP writes:
>
> [With regard to the performance of psychotherapy]
>
> >  I've read that the spontaneous cure rate for schizophrenia is
> >33%.  The psychoanalytic cure rate is 35%.  Big improvement.
>
> It's been known for some time now that therapy is of little use in the
> treatment of schitzophrenia.  THere are numerous other signs, including its
> responsiveness to drug treatment, which suggest that it represents a
> neurochemical problem.
>
> Even so, the conclusions that can be drawn from this are quite limited in
> scope.  Using this to cast aspersions upon psychotherapy is an error of a
> type we commonly see in n.philo, an error in generalization.  In this case,
> there is little reason to presume that all psychological disturbances are
> similar both in nature and in cause.
>
> C. Wingate

Actually, I wasn't casting an aspersion on psychotherapy for treating
all forms of disturbance and mental illness.  I was following up on someone
else's comments that were somewhat more negative and all encompassing
than mine.  I was adding data to the discussion, not necessarily taking
sides.  (Although I doubt the value of psychotherapy in treating psychoses
like schizophrenia.)