[net.philosophy] Clever Little Hans

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Wimpy Math Grad Student) (07/05/86)

In article <507@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
>            Freud was notoriously sensitive to disagreements from
>those who had previously accepted his views, Jung and Adler being
>famous instances.  This betrays only the fact that Freud was a human
>being with hang-ups like the rest of us, a fact of which he was well
>aware; it does not betray any serious lack of understanding of how
>science works.

I earlier replied, "I disagree".  Here goes.

First off, it betrays, in my view, that Freud was a human being with a
hang-up that he was doing science, and that he was notoriously sensitive
to any equally mishmashy theorizing being done since such would expose
the hollowness of his own efforts.  This was all unconscious, of course.

Isn't it a shame that he refused to ever let himself get psychoanalyzed?
Then he would have been happy.  Then he would have been free.

To support my claim, I will look at Freud's famous study of Little Hans,
from his "Analysis of a Phobia in a Five-Year-Old Boy" (1909).  My copy
is in the Collier Books edition _The Sexual Enlightenment of Children_.

The case involves Little Hans, both of whose parents were strong devotees
of Freud, determined to raise their child according to correct Freudian
principles.  Freud himself had only met the child only once at the time
of the study.  Freud claims that the father's contribution was important:
	The special knowledge by means of which he was able to
	interpret the remarks made by his five-year-old son was
	indispensable ....				[p47]

We'll soon see just how indispensable the father's "interpretations" were.

Obviously, direct observation of little children and their sexual impulses
is superior to his inferred conclusions about his adult patients' child-
hoods.  So this case is rather crucial as an example of Freud's thinking,
as Freud himself acknowledges.

Little Hans's parents made sure he had the proper traumas and complexes:
	Meanwhile his interest in widdlers [==Wiwimacher] was by
	no means a purely theoretical one; as might have been ex-
	pected, it impelled him to touch his member.  When he was
	three and a half his mother found him with his hand to his
	penis.  She threatened him with these words: "If you do
	that, I shall send for Dr A to cut off your widdler.  And
	then what'll you widdle with?"  "With my bottom."

	He made this reply without having any sense of guilt as
	yet.  But this was the occasion of his acquiring the "cas-
	tration complex," the presense of which we are so often
	obliged to infer in analysing neurotics, though they one
	and all struggle violently against recognizing it.
							[pp49-50]
So first these indoctrinated parents *give* the child his "castration
complex", and Freud claims this as evidence for his theories?  And don't
forget, the proof of the adult's neurosis is his refusal to recognize
in the first place his fear of castration.

There's a footnote here added in 1923:
	Any one who, in analysing adults, has been convinced of the
	invariable presence of the castration complex, will of course
	find difficulty in ascribing its origin to a chance threat--
	of a kind, which is not, after all, of such universal occur-
	rence; he will be driven to assume that the child constructs
	this danger for itself out of the slightest hints, which will
	never be wanting.  This circumstance is also the motive, in-
	deed, that has stimulated the search for those deeper roots
	of the complex which are universally forthcoming.  But this
	makes it all the more valuable that in the case of little
	Hans the threat of castration is reported by his parents
	themselves, and moreover at a date before there was any ques-
	tion of his phobia.				[p50n]

So here Freud tries to get it both ways.  The particular example doesn't
count as support for his theories, of course, but he counts it so anyway.

	At about the same age [at the zoo], little Hans called
	out in a joyful and excited voice: "I saw the lion's
	widdler."

	Animals owe a good deal of their importance in myths and
	fairy tales to the openness with which they display their
	genitals and their sexual functions to the inquisitive
	little human child.  There can be no doubt as the ex-
	istence of Hans's sexual curiosity ....		[pp50-1]

Nor is there any doubt as to who put it there.

	"A dog and a horse have widdlers; a table and a chair
	haven't."  He had thus got hold of an essential charac-
	teristic for differentiating between animate and inam-
	inate objects.					[p51]

Actually, this latter is news to me.

An important clue to his later phobia is the following which he once said
to his mother:
	I thought you were so big you'd have a widdler like a
	horse.						[p51]

And another dark side of Little Hans is revealed:
	A five-year-old boy cousin came to visit Hans, who had
	by then reached the age of four.  Hans was constantly
	putting his arms around him, and once, as he was giving
	him one of these tender embraces, said: "I *am* so fond
	of you."

	This is the first trace of homosexuality that we have
	come across in him, but it will not be the last.  Little
	Hans seems to be a positive paragon of all the vices.
							[p57]
It is fortunate for Freud that the natural polymorphous perversity of
children is so easy to reveal in the hands of an expert.

Let's move on.  Little Hans is now four and a half years old, staying
an Gmunden for the summer holiday.  Little Hans was particularly fond
of Mariedl, one of the landlord's daughters:
	I want Mariedl to sleep with me.		[p58]
Upon being told this is impossible, he wanted Mariedl to sleep with his
parents.

Little Hans's father interprets this for us:
	Behind his wish, "I want Mariedl to sleep with us,"
	there lay another one: "I want Mariedl" (with whom he
	liked to be so much) "to become one of our family."
	But Hans's father and mother were in the habit of
	taking him into their bed, though only occasionally,
	and there can be no doubt that lying beside them had
	aroused erotic feelings in him; so that his wish to
	sleep with Mariedl had an erotic sense as well.  Ly-
	ing in bed with father or mother was a source of er-
	otic feeling in Hans just as it is in every other
	child.						[p59]

If this weren't science, I'd call it child pornography.

And then, something went >snap< in Little Hans's little mind:
	No doubt the ground was prepared by sexual overex-
	citation due to his mother's tenderness; but I am
	afraid I am not able to specify the actual exciting
	cause.  He is afraid *that a horse will bite him in
	the street*, and this fear seems somehow to be con-
	nected with his having been frightened by a large
	penis.  As you know from a former report, he had no-
	ticed at a very early age what large penises horses
	have, and at that time he inferred that as his mother
	was so large she must have a widdler like a horse.
							[p63]
The earliest accounts of something wrong were when, at the age of four
and three-quarters, he woke up crying:
	"When I was asleep I thought you were gone and I had
	no Mummy to coax [==caress] with."		[p64]

And so on for a few days, until he finally admitted what was bothering
him about all the horses outside.  So his mother sought to get to the
underlying root of his fears posthaste:
	"Did you put your hand to your widdler?"	[p65]

Obviously, without her keen insight into Freudian theory, this revela-
tion of the psychosexual basis of little Hans's phobia would never have
been revealed until he was much much older, and only assuming that he
was properly psychoanalyzed.  Science is so lucky sometimes.

Freud analyzes the actual formation of the phobia:
	His morbid anxiety, then, corresponded to repressed
	longing. ... The anxiety remains even when the long-
	ing can be satisfied.  It can no longer be completely
	retransformed into libido; there is something that
	keeps the libido back under repression.  This was
	shown to be so in the case of Hans on the occasion
	of his next walk, when his mother went with him.  He
	was with his mother, and yet he still suffered from
	anxiety--that is to say, from an unsatisfied longing
	for her.  It is true tha the anxiety was less; for
	he did not allow himself to be induced to go for the
	walk, whereas he had obliged the nursemaid to turn
	back.  Nor is a street quite the right place for
	"coaxing", or whatever else this young lover may
	have wanted.  But his anxiety had stood the test;
	and the next thing for it to do was to find an ob-
	ject.  It was on this walk that he first expressed
	a fear that a horse would bite him. ...  We might
	thus be led to think that the horse was merely a
	substitute for his mother.			[pp67-8]

Let's watch how objectively Little Hans's father drags out the boy's
manifold perversions:
	"Did you see what Berta's widdler looked like?"
	"No, but I saw the horses'; because I was always in
	 the stables, and so I saw the horses' widdlers."
	"And so you were curious and wanted to know what
	 Berta's and Mummy's widdlers looked like?"
	"Yes."						[p100]

	"And when [Berta] widdled, did you look on?"
	"She used to go the WC."
	"And you were curious?"
	"I was inside the WC when she was in it."
	"Did you tell her you wanted to go in?"		[p100]

	"And you were curious too.  Only about Berta?"
	"About Berta, and about Olga."
	"About who else?"
	"About no one else."
	"You know that's not true.  About Mummy too."
	"Oh, yes, about Mummy."				[p102]

	"Have you often been into the WC with Mummy?"
	"Very often."
	"And were you disgusted?"
	"Yes ... No."
	"You like being there when Mummy widdles or does lumf?"
	"Yes, very much."
	"Why do you like it so much?"
	"I don't know."
	"Because you think you'll see her widdler."
	"Yes, I do think that."				[p103]

	"What does a loud row [==flush of WC] remind you of?"
	"That I've got to do lumf in the WC."
	"Why?"
	"I don't know. A loud row sounds as though you were
	 doing lumf, and a little one of widdle."
	"I say, wasn't the bus-horse the same colour as a lumf?"
	"Yes." (very much struck)			[p104]

At this point, Freud magnaminously points out that Hans's father has
been asking too many questions, and thus the proper analysis is ob-
scure and uncertain.  Fortunately, Freud is so brilliant that he can
discern the underlying truth anyway.

	Daddy, I thought something: "I was in the bath, and
	then the plumber came and unscrewed it.  Then he took
	a big borer and stuck it into my stomach."

	Hans's father translated this phantasy as follows:
	" 'I was in bed with Mamma.  Then Papa came and drove
	me away.  With his big penis he pushed me out of my
	place by Mamma.'"

	Let us suspend our judgement for the present.	[p 105]

Good idea.  Freud cautiously waits for some clearer evidence.

	"Have you ever seen a horse doing lumf?"
	"Yes, very often."
	"Does it make a loud row when it does lumf?"
	"Yes."
	"What does the row remind you of?"
	"Like when lumf falls into the chamber."	[p105]

Hmmm.  It looks like the father isn't probing deep enough to get the
explicit words out of Little Hans's mouth.  But his father still sees
through the surface:
	The bus-horse that falls down and makes a row with
	its feet is no doubt--a lumf falling and making a
	noise.  His fear of defaecation and his fear of
	heavily loaded carts is equivalent to the fear of
	a heavily loaded stomach.			[p105]

As Freud comments:
	In this roundabout way Hans's father was beginning to
	get a glimmering of the true state of affairs.	[p105]

More fears and their origin are revealed by Little Hans's father:
	"It's only in the big bath that I'm afraid of falling
	 in."
	"But Mamma baths you in it.  Are you afraid of Mummy
	 dropping you in the water?"
	"I'm afraid of her letting go and my head going in."
	"But you know Mummy's fond of you and won't let go
	 of you."
	"I only just thought it?"
	"Why?"
	"I don't know at all."
	"Perhaps it was because you'd been naughty and thought
	 she didn't love you any more?"
	"Yes."
	"When you were watching Mummy giving Hanna [his little
	 sister] her bath, you wished she would let go of her
	 so that Hanna should fall in?"
	"Yes."

	Hans's father, we cannot help thinking, had made a very
	good guess.					[pp106-7]

Now why can't Freud help but think so?

Little Hans's father skillfully reveals the depth of Little Hans's erotic
love for his mother:
	"It seems to me that, all the same, you do wish Mummy
	 would have a baby."
	"But I don't want it to happen."
	"But you wish for it?"
	"Oh yes, *wish*."
	"Do you kow why you wish for it?  It's because you'd
	 like to be Daddy."
	"Yes....How does it work?"
	"How does what work?"
	"You say Daddies don't have babies; so how does it
	 work, my wanting to be Daddy?"
	"You'd like to be Daddy and married to Mummy; you'd
	 like to be as big as me and have a moustache; and
	 you'd like Mummy to have a baby."
	"And, Daddy, when I'm married I'll only have one if
	 I want to, when I'm married to Mummy, and if I don't
	 want a baby, God won't want it either, when I'm mar-
	 ried."
	"Would you like to be married to Mummy?"
	"Oh yes."					[pp130-1]

It's very lucky for the experimental support for his theories that
Little Hans had such knowledgeable parents to help him formulate
his Oedipal complex so clearly.

Freud believes there's a lot of support for his theories here, but he
realizes there are certain difficulties to be overcome:
	My impression is that the picture of a child's sexual
	life presented in this observation of little Hans agrees
	very well with the account I gave of it (basing my views
	upon psychoanalytic examinations of adults) in my _Sex-
	ualtheorie_.  But before going into the details of this
	agreement I must deal with two objections which will be
	raised against my making use of the present analysis for
	this purpose.  The first objection is to the effect that
	Hans was not a normal child, but (as events--the illness
	itself, in fact--showed) had a predisposition to neurosis,
	and was a little "degenerate;" it would be illegitimate,
	therefore, to apply to other normal children conclusions
	which might perhaps be true of him.  I shall postpone
	consideration fo this objection, since it only limits the
	value of the observation, and does not completely null-
	ify it.  According to the second and more uncompromising
	objection, an analysis of a child conducted by its father,
	who went to work instilled with *my* theoretical views and
	infected with *my* prejudices, must be entirely devoid of
	any objective worth.  A child, it will be said, is highly
	suggestible, and in regard to no one, perhaps, more than
	its own father ....				[p139]

But Freud knows that
	The arbitray has no existence in mental life.	[p140]

But he defends his deductions, since the ends justify the means:
	It is true that during the analysis Hans had to be told
	many things that he could not say himself, that he had
	to be presented with thoughts which he had so far shown
	no signs of possessing, and that his attention had to be
	turned in the direction from which his father was expec-
	ting something to come.  This detract from the evidential
	value of the analysis; but the procedure is the same in
	every case.  For a psychoanalysis is not an impartial
	scientific investigation, but a therapeutic measure.  Its
	essense is not to prove anything, but to alter something.
							[p141]
And Freud takes pains to point out how many of Little Hans's observations
were made independently of parental prompting:
	Like all other children, he applied his childish sexual
	theories to the material before him without having re-
	ceived any encouragement to do so.  These theories are
	extremely remote from the adult mind.  Indeed, in this
	instance I actually omitted to warn Hans's father that
	the boy would be bound to approach the subject of child-
	birth by way of the excretory comlex.  This negligence
	on my part, though it led to  an obscure phase in the
	analysis,

Editorial comment: this fear of depriving patients of the benefits of
treatment often interferes with clean experimental tests via comparison
against untreated controls.

	           was nevertheless the means of producing a good
	piece of evidence of the genuineness and independence of
	Hans's mental processes.  He suddenly became occupied with
	"lumf," without his father, who is supposed to have been
	practicing suggestion upon him, having the least idea how
	he had arrived at that subject or what was going to come
	of it.						[p142]

But Freud realizes that there are skeptics out there:
	I am aware that even with this analysis I shall not suc-
	ceed in convincing any one who will not let himself be
	convinced....					[p143]

Now where did he get that idea from?

ucbvax!brahms!weemba   Wimpy Grad Student/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
I have never swerved one inch from the basic teachings of Freud.  Never,
never, never.  Not one inch.  I have remained faithful to Freud through
thick and thin.  That is the justification of all my work.
						-Dr Karl Anschauung, MD