[net.philosophy] Gibson's theory of perception

hfavr@mtuxo.UUCP (a.reed) (07/15/86)

I have not read Kelley's book, but as a psychologist I am familiar with
Gibson's "environmental" (or "ecological") theory of perception. In the
standard contemporary conceptualization of perception, from which Gibson
dissented, the input to the perceptual process is thought to be the
sensory impression; for example, in visual perception, the pattern of
retinal stimulation. According to the standard theory, the task of the
perceptual system is to derive, from that pattern, a representation
whose features are analogous to those features of the environment which
originally caused the retinal pattern. If the perceptual system is
thought of as physically limited to the eye and the brain, the standard
view is close to being a logical necessity. It is from this
conceptualization that Gibson dissented.

In Gibson's view, the perceptual system is not limited to the confines
of the organism, but extends into the environment. In the course of its
evolution, the organism has assimilated physical mechanisms present in
its natural environment to function as integral parts of its perceptual
system. Thus, the perceptual processes implemented in the eye and the
brain have evolved to function as the back-end of an integral process of
perception that begins at the perceived object. In this view, the
natural light sources present in the environment, the reflective
properties of the surfaces of objects, and the optical characteristics
of the atmosphere are as much a part of the human perceptual system as
the eyes and the brain. Thus, the retinal stimulation pattern is not the
input to perception, but rather an internal stage in the process. The
input to the perceptual process is the object itself; the output is the
organism's awareness of the object. The information contained in this
awareness is the original, and not a re- (or transformed), presentation
of the object to consciousness.

According to Gibson, the experimental psychologist's laboratory use of
two-dimensional representations, tachistoscopic stimuli, illusions, and
other materials that were not part of the ecological environment in
which the human perceptual system evolved, amounts to studying the human
perceptual system with some of its key parts removed. This is rather
like trying to find out how a computer works after pulling out some of
its chips, or deducing normal physiology from the results of the
surgical removal of organs. To yield valid information, the results of
such experiments must be interpreted with special attention to the fact
that one is not studying an intact or properly functioning system.

				Adam Reed (ihnp4!npois!adam)

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (07/16/86)

> In Gibson's view, the perceptual system is not limited to the confines
> of the organism, but extends into the environment. In the course of its
> evolution, the organism has assimilated physical mechanisms present in
> its natural environment to function as integral parts of its perceptual
> system. Thus, the perceptual processes implemented in the eye and the
> brain have evolved to function as the back-end of an integral process of
> perception that begins at the perceived object.

A worthwhile way of looking at perception.  I find it ironic that many
(most?) cog-psycholgists' experiments in perception use CRTs to display
"objects." Not only does this practice effectively divorce sight from
the other senses, it also enforces a deviant mode of perception on the
subject.  (To perceive an "object" on a flat image, the subject must
focus _behind_ the image.  Most literate people are unaware of their
habit of doing this.)

	Self-respecting people don't care to peep at their
	reflections in unexpected mirrors.
				--L. P. Smith
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

ln63szf@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Rick Frey) (07/21/86)

I haven't read Kelley's book either, but I'm pretty familiar with Gibson
and a few of the major problems in his theory, most of which you
present.

In article <1782@mtuxo.UUCP>, hfavr@mtuxo.UUCP (a.reed) writes:
> In the
> standard contemporary conceptualization of perception, from which Gibson
> dissented, the input to the perceptual process is thought to be the
> sensory impression; for example, in visual perception, the pattern of
> retinal stimulation.

Here you start off a bit unclear.  When you talk about input to the
perceptual process, to what are you referring?  The signals that will
travel down the optic nerve?  What will end up in the occipital cortex?
Area 17?  You need to be more specific, as did Gibson.

> If the perceptual system is
> thought of as physically limited to the eye and the brain, the standard
> view is close to being a logical necessity. It is from this
> conceptualization that Gibson dissented.

A distinction that most physiological psychologists won't make.  All
(all good) PS's know that at some point, information about the
regularities of the external world need to be used in order to make
sense out of visual stimuli.  Helmholz, Rock and some others say that
this information comes in the form of conscious structuring of visual
information whereas Ramachandran and some others say that the
regularities of the external world are hard wired into the perceptual
features of the system.  Thus the Phi phenomenon (illusory motion) isn't
do to a conscious realization that objects blinking between two
locations might be moving between them, it's do to a hardwired
understanding that in the real world, objects have to travel through
paths to get to another location; blinking is impossible.

> In Gibson's view, the perceptual system is not limited to the confines
> of the organism, but extends into the environment. In the course of its
> evolution, the organism has assimilated physical mechanisms present in
> its natural environment to function as integral parts of its perceptual
> system.

This isn't only Gibson's idea.  I'm not sure on who came up with it
first, but he certainly isn't the sole posessor of the idea.

> In this view, the
> natural light sources present in the environment, the reflective
> properties of the surfaces of objects, and the optical characteristics
> of the atmosphere are as much a part of the human perceptual system as
> the eyes and the brain. Thus, the retinal stimulation pattern is not the
> input to perception, but rather an internal stage in the process. The
> input to the perceptual process is the object itself;

Gibson's major mistake.  This simply isn't true.  Obviously it has to be
the light that makes it to the organism.  If no light reaches the
organism, then there's no perception.  Period.  Unless the organism
*perceives* the object, it doesn't exist to the perceiver.  Perception
starts once there is something to perceive, and that only can begin when
perceptual information about the object makes its way to the perceiver.

> the output is
> organism's awareness of the object. The information contained in this
> awareness is the original, and not a re- (or transformed), presentation
> of the object to consciousness.

Information contained in awareness?  This is somewhat Gibsonian in that
he uses words that have no clear definitions, but I don't think even he
would quite say this.  What is awareness?  What stage of processing are
you referring to?  Aside from the actual collection of excited and
inhibited receptors at the retinal level, *all* perception is transfor-
mation.  Sorry, no homunculae.  (sp??)

> According to Gibson, the experimental psychologist's laboratory use of
> two-dimensional representations, tachistoscopic stimuli, illusions, and
> other materials that were not part of the ecological environment in
> which the human perceptual system evolved, amounts to studying the human
> perceptual system with some of its key parts removed.

In some cases, this is a valid claim of Gibson's, but his whole theory
rests on it and it isn't 100% true.  He'd love to have us believe that
the external world is rich in information and that perception is an easy
task of picking out of the multitude of cues available.  That's simply
not true.

Experimental psychologists aren't blind to this criticism, and far too
many experiments have been done that don't fall under Gibson's
criticisms of artificiality.  Perception developed under situations
where the available information was far from over-abundant.  Without
this over-abundance of information, Gibson's ideas start falling apart.

> This is rather like trying to find out how a computer works after
> pulling out some of its chips,

This is a purely Gibsonian analogy, and accordigly isn't accurate.
Studying perception in the laboratory removes nothing from the
perceptual machiney.  It removes perceptual information that Gibson
says has to be there, which, I'm sorry, but you don't get to tell nature
"Make sure all the information I need is there or I'm going to screw
up."  Adaptivity would seem to indicate that an organism that could
still make the best judgement with the least information would be the
most fit to survive.  Perception developed in a piecemeal fashion such
that there wasn't an overabundance of information at various stages in
the development.  So where did this 'perceptual laziness' come into
play?  You try finding a small tree frog in a huge tree.  The whole idea
of an overabundance of perceptual information might apply to recognizing
people's faces, but it has no basis in the reality of where and how
perception developed.

> To yield valid information, the results of
> such experiments must be interpreted with special attention to the fact
> that one is not studying an intact or properly functioning system.

True, but with the modified analogy, if you put a number into the
computer and get something out, if the machinery is the same in all
states (which in reality, it is) you get information any time you put
something in and get something out.  Don't throw it away because it
isn't an exact analogy to the natural environment.  You do need to be
careful in interpretting what you find, but the answer isn't to say that
is's all artificial and the only real perception stems from objects in
the natural world.

			Rick Frey
			(...ihnp4!sdcsvax!sdcc3!ln63szf)
			(ln63szf%sdcc3@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU or .ARPA)
			(I've been switched temporarily to sdcc3, NOT sdcc7)

toddo@uhmanoa.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) (07/23/86)

In article <3483@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU> ln63szf@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Rick Frey) writes:
>> In this view, the
>> natural light sources present in the environment, the reflective
>> properties of the surfaces of objects, and the optical characteristics
>> of the atmosphere are as much a part of the human perceptual system as
>> the eyes and the brain. Thus, the retinal stimulation pattern is not the
>> input to perception, but rather an internal stage in the process. The
>> input to the perceptual process is the object itself;
>
>Gibson's major mistake.  This simply isn't true.  Obviously it has to be
>the light that makes it to the organism.  If no light reaches the
>organism, then there's no perception.  Period.  Unless the organism
>*perceives* the object, it doesn't exist to the perceiver.  Perception
>starts once there is something to perceive, and that only can begin when
>perceptual information about the object makes its way to the perceiver.

[before I begin, let me say that I agree with most of what Rick has to say]

Visual perception and interpretation is of course based on light striking
the retina.  However, reflected light from from an object is not really
the only way to perceive objects.

The best example of this is the filling in process that takes place to
prevent our "perceiving" the blind spot of each eye.  The optic nerves
collect at a point of the retina where there is no receptors.  Yet we
do not perceive a black hole in our visual field.  You might say well
this is because the corresponding input from the other eye covers up.
Simple to test and disprove this: close one eye.  Still no black hole
in visual space.  The black hole is simply assumed to be there by the
brain and is "filled-in".

Another example is my original dissertation topic: subjective contours.
Artists have long known that you can "suggest" contours and edges by
manipulating the placement of black areas.  There are ways to place
lines and black areas to force the visual system to perceive whole
and sometimes complex objects (curved, etc.)  For some good illustrations,
and an easy to find reference, check out:

	Kanizsa, Gaetano (April 1976).  Subjective Contours.
	Scientific American, 4: 48-52

Another example of perceiving objects without the need of the object's
reflected light falling on the retina is visual hallucinations.  High
fever, sensory deprivation, psychoactive drugs, etc. all can cause this
experience.

...todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, University of Hawaii
Dept. of Psychology & U. of Hawaii Computing Center

UUCP:     {ihnp4,dual,vortex}!islenet!
				      \
                                        \__ uhmanoa!toddo
					/
      {backbone}!sdcsvax!noscvax!humu!/
                       /
                clyde/

ARPA: OGASAWARAT%HAW.SDSCNET@LLL-MFE.ARPA

** I used to be: ogasawar@nosc.ARPA & ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP

ln63szf@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Rick Frey) (07/23/86)

> Visual perception and interpretation is of course based on light striking
> the retina.  However, reflected light from from an object is not really
> the only way to perceive objects.

> The best example of this is the filling in process that takes place to
> prevent our "perceiving" the blind spot of each eye.

At first I thought this sounded ok, but then I found a somewhat
significant nit I could pick, so...

You're correct that things can be perceived that are not present as
stimulation on the retina, but, especially in the example you give, the
'filling in' that takes place is driven by hard-wiring in the neural
system that *knows* about this whole in the visual field.  Thus, the
perceptual information still does not come from the object itself, but
from the machinery that knows about the properties of objects.

As a criticism in favor of Gibson, this doesn't work.  As a statement
that there is more to perception than the retinal image, agreed.

> Another example is my original dissertation topic: subjective contours.
> Artists have long known that you can "suggest" contours and edges by
> manipulating the placement of black areas.  There are ways to place
> lines and black areas to force the visual system to perceive whole
> and sometimes complex objects (curved, etc.)

Another good example of the perceptual system going beyond the retinal
image (or Gibson's "ambient array of light") in order to 'make sense'
out of the perceptual information.

> Another example of perceiving objects without the need of the object's
> reflected light falling on the retina is visual hallucinations.  High
> fever, sensory deprivation, psychoactive drugs, etc. all can cause this
> experience.

Many psychologists wouldn't call these 'true perceptions' because their
source isn't the perceptual system.  It's kind of an odd thought to say
that in a dream, you aren't *really* seeing anything, but in many senses
(bad pun, I know) you aren't.

m128abo@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Michael Ellis) (07/24/86)

> Rick Frey >> A Reed

>> In this view, the
>> natural light sources present in the environment, the reflective
>> properties of the surfaces of objects, and the optical characteristics
>> of the atmosphere are as much a part of the human perceptual system as
>> the eyes and the brain. Thus, the retinal stimulation pattern is not the
>> input to perception, but rather an internal stage in the process. The
>> input to the perceptual process is the object itself;
>
>Gibson's major mistake.  This simply isn't true.  Obviously it has to be
>the light that makes it to the organism.  If no light reaches the
>organism, then there's no perception.  Period.  Unless the organism
>*perceives* the object, it doesn't exist to the perceiver.  Perception
>starts once there is something to perceive, and that only can begin when
>perceptual information about the object makes its way to the perceiver.

     Major mistake? Simply isn't true? Does anyone understand the
     relevance of this to Adam's original statement? As far as I can
     tell, you have simply refused to acknowledge a difference between
     your word "perceive" and Gibson's.

>> the output is
>> organism's awareness of the object. The information contained in this
>> awareness is the original, and not a re- (or transformed), presentation
>> of the object to consciousness.
>
>Information contained in awareness?  This is somewhat Gibsonian in that
>he uses words that have no clear definitions, but I don't think even he
>would quite say this.  What is awareness?  What stage of processing are
>you referring to?  Aside from the actual collection of excited and
>inhibited receptors at the retinal level, *all* perception is transfor-
>mation.  Sorry, no homunculae.  (sp??)

    My, we're being doctinaire! No awareness, no homunculae? All
    perception is transformation? Are you really sure??
    Are you telling us that there is nothing in the real world that
    corresponds to "awareness"? How quaintly Cartesian!

    Homunculism is by no means dead. Dennett in "Brainstorms" speaks
    of mental processes in terms of progressively stupider homunculae.

    As to awareness itself, are you sure you really wish to overlook
    the concept? Is all we wish to know about perception simply how a
    mess of brain cells work? Or is it not at the same time to understand
    how it is that we become AWARE of our environment?

>> According to Gibson, the experimental psychologist's laboratory use of
>> two-dimensional representations, tachistoscopic stimuli, illusions, and
>> other materials that were not part of the ecological environment in
>> which the human perceptual system evolved, amounts to studying the human
>> perceptual system with some of its key parts removed.
>
>In some cases, this is a valid claim of Gibson's, but his whole theory
>rests on it and it isn't 100% true.  He'd love to have us believe that
>the external world is rich in information and that perception is an easy
>task of picking out of the multitude of cues available.  That's simply
>not true.

    Must the Gibsonians be 100% right lest their entire case come
    crashing to the ground? Who says so? The anti-Gibsonians? Why?

    And if Gibson would "love to have us believe the external world is
    rich in information", whatever do you find hard to believe about
    that? Do you mean to imply that the world is poor in its
    information content? As far a I can tell, there IS an enormous
    wealth of unused information in the natural world.

    I did not know Gibson's "theory" was either true or false; rather,
    I thought that it was more unified approach, a redefinition
    of just what it is our perceptions are, generally in keeping with
    the wider view of evolution, not of just species, but of
    interdependent systems ranging from genes to ecologies. If so,
    there doesn't seem very much to be "wrong" about it, at least none
    of the criticisms you've offered.

>Experimental psychologists aren't blind to this criticism, and far too
>many experiments have been done that don't fall under Gibson's
>criticisms of artificiality.  Perception developed under situations
>where the available information was far from over-abundant.  Without
>this over-abundance of information, Gibson's ideas start falling apart.

    Totally absurd.

    Life evolved in the presence of light, which contained vast
    amounts of environmental information that was almost completely
    unused until creatures evolved that were complex enough to exploit
    vision.

    Or are you denying that light carries information?

>Perception developed in a piecemeal fashion such
>that there wasn't an overabundance of information at various stages in
>the development.  So where did this 'perceptual laziness' come into
>play?  You try finding a small tree frog in a huge tree.  The whole idea
>of an overabundance of perceptual information might apply to recognizing
>people's faces, but it has no basis in the reality of where and how
>perception developed.

    No basis in reality?

    How different is recognizing people's faces (for beings who need
    to do so, like other people) from recognizing the kinds of places
    where frogs hang out (for beings who need to eat frogs)?

    Now my perceptions did not evolve so that I could locate frogs
    more readily than many other kinds of things, but if humans had
    evolved into tree climbers with a diet consisting largely of
    frogs, I have little doubt that we'd have no trouble locating
    that frog, even blindfolded.

-michael

ln63szf@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Rick Frey) (07/25/86)

>> Rick Frey > Michael Ellis

>      Major mistake? Simply isn't true? Does anyone understand the
>      relevance of this to Adam's original statement? As far as I can
>      tell, you have simply refused to acknowledge a difference between
>      your word "perceive" and Gibson's.

Ok, maybe I overstated it a bit.  But, when people start playing with
words and simply assume that because they feel a certain way they can
redefine a word, that's not correct.  Perceive is a word with a
definition and Gibson's idea of perception doesn't fit the known facts.
What more do you want me to say?

> >> The information contained in this
> >> awareness is the original, and not a re- (or transformed), presentation
> >> of the object to consciousness.

> >What is awareness?  What stage of processing are
> >you referring to?  Aside from the actual collection of excited and
> >inhibited receptors at the retinal level, *all* perception is transfor-
> >mation.  Sorry, no homunculae.  (sp??)

>     My, we're being doctinaire! No awareness, no homunculae? All
>     perception is transformation? Are you really sure??
>     Are you telling us that there is nothing in the real world that
>     corresponds to "awareness"? How quaintly Cartesian!

Yeah, I feel pretty comfortable saying that all perception is
transformation.  And be somewhat careful, I never said there was no such
thing as awareness, I simply pointed out that it didn't have a clear
definition.  What do you see in the real world that corresponds to
awareness?

>     Homunculism is by no means dead. Dennett in "Brainstorms" speaks
>     of mental processes in terms of progressively stupider homunculae.

And Don Norman refers to Cognitive demons that make decisions for us,
but the idea of the homunculus is that he's sitting in there looking
at a television screen that identically corresponds to what we see.
This idea of the homunculus is wrong.  The little Homunculae you refer
to are looking at excited and inhibitted neurons in specific locations.
Not quite a tv screen.

>     As to awareness itself, are you sure you really wish to overlook
>     the concept? Is all we wish to know about perception simply how a
>     mess of brain cells work? Or is it not at the same time to understand
>     how it is that we become AWARE of our environment?

I don't want to overlook it at all.  But how do we define it?  Obviously
perception is more than the excitement of neurons, but as far as we can
tell, even awareness seems somehow to be linked to a neural state.  If
you can define awareness, I'd love to know exactly what it is.

> >In some cases, this is a valid claim of Gibson's, but his whole theory
> >rests on it and it isn't 100% true.  He'd love to have us believe that
> >the external world is rich in information and that perception is an easy
> >task of picking out of the multitude of cues available.  That's simply
> >not true.

>     Must the Gibsonians be 100% right lest their entire case come
>     crashing to the ground? Who says so? The anti-Gibsonians? Why?

Nope, he doesn't need to be 100% right.  But, since he isn't on a major
premise, you have to wonder about his whole theory (that is based on
that premise).

>     And if Gibson would "love to have us believe the external world is
>     rich in information", whatever do you find hard to believe about
>     that? Do you mean to imply that the world is poor in its
>     information content? As far a I can tell, there IS an enormous
>     wealth of unused information in the natural world.

There is an enormous wealth of information, true.  But, there is not an
enormous wealth of useful information.  There's a big difference.

>     I did not know Gibson's "theory" was either true or false; rather,
>     I thought that it was more unified approach, a redefinition
>     of just what it is our perceptions are,

But can't general redefinitions be wrong?  Obviously he's got some
quantity of truth about what he's saying, but in general, his
redefinition is off-track.

>     the wider view of evolution, not of just species, but of
>     interdependent systems ranging from genes to ecologies. If so,
>     there doesn't seem very much to be "wrong" about it, at least none
>     of the criticisms you've offered.

But it doesn't make sense in terms of evolution.  It works well with
identifying faces and familiar objects.  That is a far cry from the task
of locating predators and prey in a natural environment.

> >Perception developed under situations
> >where the available information was far from over-abundant.  Without
> >this over-abundance of information, Gibson's ideas start falling apart.

>     Totally absurd. Life evolved in the presence of light, which
>     contained vast amounts of environmental information that was
>     almost completely unused until creatures evolved that were
>     complex enough to exploit vision.

There's a lot of evolution from light sensitive cells to the eye of a
frog, for example.  Keep thinking about the task of picking out a
cameleon on a tree branch.  Do you really have an overabundance of
information?  Cameleon like characteristics aren't that rare in nature.

>     Or are you denying that light carries information?

Of course not.  But it doesn't carry with it how to make sense out of
itself.  Lots of information, not all of it useful.

> >Perception developed in a piecemeal fashion such
> >that there wasn't an overabundance of information at various stages in
> >the development.  So where did this 'perceptual laziness' come into
> >play?  You try finding a small tree frog in a huge tree.  The whole idea
> >of an overabundance of perceptual information might apply to recognizing
> >people's faces, but it has no basis in the reality of where and how
> >perception developed.

>     How different is recognizing people's faces (for beings who need
>     to do so, like other people) from recognizing the kinds of places
>     where frogs hang out (for beings who need to eat frogs)?

People's faces aren't typically presented on a background of identical
color.  People's faces usually don't match the texture of whatever is
behind them.  People's faces present clear occlusions of other objects
such that depth information is pretty clear.  Keep thinking about a
bumpy green tree frog on a green leaf.  Where does the leaf end?  A
bumpy leaf?  Another leaf behind?  How do you know?  You don't have all
day to carefully search each leaf and making a mistake can be fatal.
Tree snakes are green, too.

>     Now my perceptions did not evolve so that I could locate frogs
>     more readily than many other kinds of things, but if humans had
>     evolved into tree climbers with a diet consisting largely of
>     frogs, I have little doubt that we'd have no trouble locating
>     that frog, even blindfolded.

Well tell that to a frog that'll starve to death in a cage full of dead
flies because he can't *see* them unless they're moving.  An
overabundance of information, but little of it actually being useful.

			Rick Frey
			(...ihnp4!sdcsvax!sdcc3!ln63szf)
			(ln63szf%sdcc3@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU or .ARPA)

dbm@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP (Brian Millar) (07/25/86)

Gibson stressed the point that a theory of perception will focus
on the INFORMATION handled by a perceptual system.  Thus, the
central processor does not "look at" the retina, and does not
have to "re-invert" the retinal image.  Rather, the retina and
central processor form an information handling system which
detects the information/structure in the light pattern, and
in the physical terrain which generated that light pattern by
reflection.  To "crack the code" of the visual mechanism requires
first knowing what the messages are which it handles.
Physiological investigations can benefit from prior perceptual
investigations which have determined the basic discriminations of a
perceptual system.

Gibson also stressed the point that human visual systems may be
responsive to highly complex visual patterns which are found
frequently in nature.  A primary example of this is the texture
gradient for a surface in 3-D space.  A more complex example is
a moving, changing texture pattern, as when an observer moves
over a surface in 3-D space.  He was impressed by the regularity
of these patterns while riding trains as a youngster, watching
the rails and ties disappear toward the vanishing point.