[net.philosophy] Objects in a time loop

daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) (08/27/86)

Jim Balter writes:
>I think Heinlein has been there before you.  Consider the character(s) in
>"All You Zombies" who is his/her own parents, and who drafts himself into the
>Time Service.  And while the dictionary in "By His Bootstraps" does not
>appear via a time loop, the information in it does.

This plot element was used in a film starring Christopher 'Superman' Reeve
(Somewhere In Time?).  Near the beginning of the film, an old woman hands him
a gold pocket watch.  This starts him on his quest to travel back in time,
which he does.  He meets the old woman as a young woman, and gives her the
pocket watch.  I had a real problem with this.  I wanted to know where it came
from originally.

Dave 'Ready when you are, C.B.' Richards