[net.philosophy] talk newsgroups have been created

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (09/08/86)

Newgroup messages for the talk newsgroups have been sent out.
The old and new names for these newsgroups are:

	net.abortion		talk.abortion
	net.bizarre		talk.bizarre
	net.origins		talk.origins
	net.philosophy		talk.philosophy.misc
	net.politics		talk.politics.misc
	net.politics.theory	talk.politics.theory
	net.religion		talk.religion.misc
	net.rumor		talk.rumors

Note in particular that net.religion becomes talk.religion.misc,
NOT talk.religion.  We are sorry for this inconvenience, since
talk.religion has already been created and is in use.

Backbone hosts will be installing alias files to convert the old
names over to the new names.  As of around October 1, the backbone
will stop forwarding the old names.  We expect to rmgroup the old
"net" groups listed above on that date.

Readers are urged to read both sets of newsgroups.  The traffic
should die down in the net groups over the next month.

Posters are urged to begin posting to the new names.  If you are
following up a message in the old group, edit the name in the
Newsgroups: line to use the new name.

If for some reason your machine isn't receiving the talk groups,
ask your netnews administrator to look into it.  The news admin
should check upstream to find out who isn't passing them along, and
get the appropriate system or systems to fix the problem.  There
are still some pockets of the net that aren't getting everything,
but the bulk of the net seems OK now.

This is the first stage of the newsgroup reorganization.  Additional
classes will be converted over similarly over the next several months.

	Mark Horton