[net.micro.apple] Results on apple <-> unix communication

kurt@pyuxhh.UUCP (K A Gluck) (04/30/84)

I Posted the folowing request to the net:

> SUBJECT: wanted ascci exp apple net post
> I are looking for information  on subroutine packages + hardware that
> allow a program running on an apple ][e to talk to a vax running unix.
> I dont want a terminal emulator only.
>
> I have heard of ascII express but have no information or
> idea how good/bad it is.
>
> Please mail to me ihnp4!pyuxhh!kurt any info you have on c compilers
> for the apple ][e and I will post the results to the net.

> Subject: Re: wanted information on unix to apple comunication
>
> Try looking into the program Data Capture 4.0
> Its the one I'm using now.
>
> Try to find an Apple //e update since my version is a little cumbersome
> for a machine that has a real keyboard.

> Kurt,
>
> I've been using an Apple //e for about a year with
> UNIX.  The setup I have is as follows:
>
> 	Apple //e, 2 disk drives
> 	Apple Super Serial Card
> 	Apple Extended 80 Column Card
> 	Western Electric 300/1200 Dataphone
> 	ASCII Express Professional
>
> This setup allows me to do a number of things.  Of course,
> it works as a terminal (I usually make it emulate a vt52).
> I can "trap" output which is displayed on the screen into
> a disk file.  I can upload/download files between the Apple
> and UNIX using "umodem" on UNIX and "protocol mode" on
> ASCII Express.  AE Pro does have a crude line editor which
> you could use to edit your files after downloading them from
> UNIX, but it really isn't as good as some of the word processing
> programs available.  I don't really use the macro capability
> of AE Pro, because I don't have an autodial modem, and
> I can keep files of command sequences I execute often on UNIX.
> I don't have a printer attached to the Apple, because I can
> route printout through UNIX to a lazer printer down the hall.
>
> I have no experience with C compilers on the Apple, so I cannot
> tell you if source code is portable between the Apple and VAX.
> I think some C compilers for the Apple require a Z80 card.
>
> Let me know if I can answer any other questions.  Good luck!

> Subject: Unix to apple
>
> What you may be able to use is KERMIT, available from Columbia University.
> KERMIT is a terminal emulator and file transfer program in the public domain.
> For some nominal fee, they will send you a tape containing versions of
> KERMIT for a wide variety of machines, including Unix, CP/M, Apple DOS,
> MS-DOS, TOPS-20, and IBM mainframes.  If you are on the Arpanet, then
> the files are available via anonymous FTP.  Otherwise, contact Daphne
> Tzoar at the Columbia University Computer Center.  Unfortunately, I don't
> have the exact address available.
>
> Hope this Helps,

> Subject: re vax<>apple communications
> Greetings:
>
> You might try the Kermit protocol.  I have been using it successfully
> to talk to a VMS-VAX and DEC20 to an Apple //e at up to 4800 bps.  The
> [...]

	I hope this helps.
--
Kurt Gluck SPL 1c273a  Bell Communications Research Inc 6 Corporate Place	Piscataway NJ, 08854
      ihnp4!pyuxhh!kurt                   (201)-561-7100 x2023