[net.micro.apple] INFO-MAC Articles - 1 of 8

bees@drutx.UUCP (DavisRB) (05/23/84)

22-Mar-84 10:22:46-CST,802;000000000000
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 1984  11:13 EST
>From: JSMCCLEES@BBNG.ARPA
To:   info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: AUC & outright purchasing

A while back there was some talk about the problem of restricting Mac
resales. It was suggested that only a leasing arrangement would legally
inhibit resale of college-bought Macs.

Well, Harvard is now releasing Macs by a system of one-year leases  (the
price is ~$1200), after which period the machine does indeed become the
full property of the lessee.

--Mark Eckenwiler
(jsmcclees@bbng)
22-Mar-84 19:13:13-CST,761;000000000000
Date: Thu 22 Mar 84 19:36:15-EST
>From: Don Lanini <CC.DCL@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA>
Subject: A bushel of Apples
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

I just heard from a reliable source (whose name was actually Lisa),
that a certain eastern university had trouble locating a shipment of
Macintoshes.  It seems that when the delivery truck arrived at their
Computer Center and said they were delivering Apples, they were sent
to Food Service.  Food Service reportedly accepted the shipment of
untold boxes (bushels).  :->
/dc
-------
23-Mar-84 11:11:40-CST,1545;000000000000
Date: Fri 23 Mar 84 09:01:49-PST
>From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: West Coast Computer Faire
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

Some brief MACnotes from the faire -

o Reportedly, next months BYTE magazine wil have one of those 'do it yourself'
  articles by Steve CIARCIA on how to upgrade your Macintosh to 512K.

o Creative Solutions was there with there MacForth. It was very impressive,
  although I don't speak FORTH yet. It is the same 68K FORTH kernel they have
  supported for 3 years or so on other 68K machines, and appears to have been
  well ported to the Mac. The speed was impressive. The difference
  between the level I forth and the level II is that for an extra $100, level
  II provides an assembler and extended graphics routines. The author said
  he has been working 20 hour days for the last 3 months getting this product
  ready. They also offer a 25% educational discount.

o Saw a couple of graphic adventure games - each was interesting. One from
  PENGUIN is expected out in less than a month.

o Got a good look at MACproject. Was VERY impressed. Seems to do everything
  you would want a structured graphics program to do. Will be out in the
  summer. Entering beta test now.

o If you bought Multiplan, be sure to send in your registration card.
  Microsoft is currently sending out a free update to correct some bugs.

-- Ed
-------
22-Mar-84 09:49:36-CST,964;000000000000
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 84 08:41:40 CST
>From: Mike Donegan <donegan@RICE>
To: aronson@cmu-cs-c, info-mac@sumex-aim
Subject: floating point

Mac uses a floating point emulation package which essentially implements
full IEEE numerics.  It is another implementation of SANE (Standard Apple
Numerical Environment) which exists for the Apple III and now the II with
Pascal and I suppose LISA as well.  The package takes up something like
6K but I don't know about speed.  I know our SUNs run floating emulation
which is pretty lousy, but Apple has been doing SANE for over 2 years now
so they have probably learned some tricks.  Still it IS software.

	mkd
23-Mar-84 13:44:24-CST,1287;000000000000
Date: 23 Mar 1984 14:17:36-EST
>From: Edward.Tecot at CMU-CS-H
Subject: MacStuff

	I am going to try to clear up all that has gone on while I was
on spring break:

Apple Pricing : Inside Mac - no comment.
		Apple Dealers can get a Macintosh, Imagewriter,
		MacPaint/Write, Multiplan, and a carrying case all for $1068.
		The reason the Mac is priced at $2500 is to protect the
		II/e sales.  Prices are expected to come down when Mac Sales
		slack off.

Colons :	The colon is used to separate volume and file name.  This
		is mentioned in the Multiplan manual.  As a matter of fact,
		if you try to edit a file name and put a colon in, it gets
		translated to a space.

Stretching :	The shift key forces proportion, i.e. horizontal, vertical,
		and diagonal lines, true circles, and movement along
		one axis.  When stretching, where you put the cursor is
		what counts.  Near the middle of a side of the box will
		cause one dimensional stretching, near the corners will
		provide to dimensions.

						_emt
						tecot@cmu-cs-h.arpa
23-Mar-84 14:46:57-CST,632;000000000000
Date: Fri 23 Mar 84 12:34:46-PST
>From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Re: West Coast Computer Faire
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

Sorry - my message about the structured graphics editor I saw at the West
Coast Computer Faire was referring to MACdraw, not MACproject. MACproject is a
PERT/CPM type planning program which was shown there, but I didn't see it.

-- Ed
-------
23-Mar-84 19:18:01-CST,3631;000000000000
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 84 16:36 PST
>From: TRACY TONDRO at HIS-LA-CP6.ARPA
To: INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM
Subject: 1/2-meg Lisa

I'm trying to low-ball a Lisa-2 (i.e., get the cheapest model I can)
to meet my word-processing needs, with an eye to future use for
software development.  But I'm having trouble with hardware/software
configurations.  There seems to be almost no flexibility in the
operating system(s) available for the Lisa and Mac.

The basic, stripped-down Lisa-2 comes with "only" 1/2 megabyte of
memory.  What software can run on this, and under
which OS?  I hear the Lisa Office System (LisaWrite, LisaDraw, etc.),
which "runs under the Lisa OS" (?) won't run with less than a meg.
I also hear all Macintosh programs will run on the 1/2-meg Lisa,
"under the Macintosh OS" (?).  But does this mean the Mac program
won't know about the hard disk or the letter-quality printer on my
Lisa?

Lists I've seen of 3rd-party software show them as being tied to
either the "Mac OS" or the "Lisa OS"; none on the list I saw
(with about 200 entries) ran on both OSs.  This seems strange to
me; given the traditional style of interface between an application
program and the OS, the differences between the Mac OS and the Lisa
OS should be (mostly) transparent to the application program:
   o multi-tasking - A stand-alone program such as a word processor
       shouldn't have any direct need for multi-tasking services.
   o size of memory - Memory-management service calls to the OS
       shouldn't depend on the amount of memory installed in the
       box.
   o size of video bit-map - The way I understand Quikdraw to work,
       the application program should just have a "picture space"
       (or some such term) to work with, and shouldn't care how
       Quikdraw chooses to display this space on the screen.
   o different peripherals - Hasn't Apple yet heard about
       "device independence" for their I/O systems?  Seems like
       an application program, such as a word processor, shouldn't
       care if it's sending the text to an Imagewriter or a
       letter-quality printer; the OS should mask the differences
       in the device interfaces.  I hear even CP/M supports some
       level of device independence.

Of course, these are traditional notions of what an OS does for you.
Lisa/Mac represent quite a few departures from the traditional notions
of what a computer is.  But I sure would hope the Lisa/Mac OS's
would support some kind of decoupling of the application program
from specific hardware configurations.

Any information about the software-OS match-ups supported would
be appreciated.

Also, I hear Apple has conveniently modified the EPROMs on the
Apple (nee Qume) letter-quality printer, so you can't just
plug in an off-the-shelf Qume printer instead of the Apple
printer.  Well that's fine for Apple-developed software --
does anybody know if the 3rd-party word processing packages
will support the more common letter-quality printers
(e.g., Brother, Qume, Diablo, NEC, etc)?  A cheaper letter-quality
printer would sure help my "billfold blues"!
(Again, is the support for the different printer protocols in
the OS or the application program?!?!)
26-Mar-84 12:38:07-CST,800;000000000000
Date: Mon 26 Mar 84 13:27:13-EST
>From: Rich Cower <COWER@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA>
Subject: Letter quality
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

I am not sure what "letter quality" is, but we found that printing
on the Apple Imagewriter and reducing it down to 90% on a Xerox
machine produces very good looking output. This was after turning on
the high quality option when print was selected on the Mac.
My only gripe about the printing is when in "high quality" mode, those
high quality line feeds at the end of a document are VERY slow.

..Rich Cower@Columbia-20
-------
26-Mar-84 21:06:29-CST,2690;000000000000
Date: Mon 26 Mar 84 11:44:34-PST
>From: MOBERLY%hp-labs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: Macintosh books at the 9th West Coast Computer Faire
To: info-mac%sumex-aim.arpa@csnet-relay.arpa
Cc: moberly@csnet-relay.arpa
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

books on Macintosh at the Ninth West Coast Computer Faire

One indication of the success potential of a product is the number of
authors who think they can make a buck writing a book about that
product.  There were at least four books on Macintosh already on sale
(with announcements of more to come) at the Ninth West Coast Computer
Faire.  Although most of the books seem to be "quickies" that merely
reiterate the standard documentation that comes with a Macintosh, some
seem actually worth buying.

Microsoft Press   (distributed by Simon and Schuster)
	"The Apple Macintosh Book"				<for sale>
		Cary Lu			$18.95	320pp.
	"Presentation Graphics on the Apple Macintosh"		<announced>
		Steve Lambert		$18.95	256pp.		    <May84>
	"Macwork/Macplay"					<announced>
		Lon Poole		$18.95	352pp.		    <Aug84>
	<book on Microsoft Basic for the Apple Macintosh> 	<rumor>
		Mitchell Waite
	<another book on basic>					<rumor>
		Mitchell Waite
	<book on Microsoft Word for the Apple Macintosh>	<rumor>
		Mitchell Waite
	<book on Microsoft Multiplan for the Apple Macintosh>	<rumor>
		Mitchell Waite

Softalk Books
	"Macintosh! Complete"					<for sale>
		Doug Clapp		$19.95	~240pp.

Hayden Books
	"Macintosh Revealed"					<announced>
	"Macintosh Instant Pascal"				<announced>
	"Macbasic Tutor - Volume One"				<announced>
	"Macbasic Tutor - Volume Two"				<announced>
	"Macbasic Programmer's Reference"			<announced>

Reston Computer Group   (a Prentice-Hall Company)
	"Understanding the Macintosh Computer"			<announced>
		Rick Dayton

Sams Books
	"Introducing the Apple Macintosh"	#22361		<for sale>
		Connolly/Lieberman	$12.95	~120pp.
	"Insight to the Apple Macintosh"	#22319		<announced>
		??			$12.95	288pp.

Dilithium Press
	"Presenting the Macintosh"				<for sale>
		Miller/Myers		$5.95	116pp.

-------

27-Mar-84 06:33:35-CST,1148;000000000000
Date: 27 March 1984 07:26-EST
>From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
To: MOBERLY%hp-labs.csnet @ CSNET-RELAY
cc: info-mac @ SUMEX-AIM, moberly @ CSNET-RELAY

We are informed that the Cary Lu Mac Book was heavily subsidized
by people with big financial stake in high Mac sales, so that
one, at least, can hardly be counted as independent evidence of
future Macsales.  There were big Maccrowds around the Macintosh,
though, and we are Mactold that the Macintosh is out macselling
the PCjr.
	At Faire I saw almost not macsoftware.  There was
macforth, and bruce tonkin had a nice program demonstrated at
the Workman booth, but outside ot macplan (which has a ghastly
form of maccopy macprotection) I saw maclittle outside software.
Did I macmiss macsomething?

27-Mar-84 06:45:30-CST,979;000000000000
Date: 27 March 1984 07:35-EST
>From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  Mac 100 day offer?
To: kato.PA @ PARC-GW
cc: info-mac @ SUMEX-AIM, kalagher @ MITRE

If thaty macraise that price any more, by charging for their
macsoftware for a mac chine that doesn't do bery much anyway,
they'll probably be in mactrouble.  I understand the Wall Street
journal is preparing a macevaluation that is not macfavorable
for it as a macbusiness machine.  Of course that's correct; it
takes about 40 disk swaps to make a backup, and no business can
operate without safety copies.  Even the macforth people had no
second drive (well they had one, but it was a kludge without case.)

-------