[net.micro.apple] INFO-MAC Articles - 2 of 8

bees@drutx.UUCP (DavisRB) (05/23/84)

27-Mar-84 12:25:32-CST,1344;000000000000
Date: Tue 27 Mar 84 09:31:59-PST
>From: ERIK@SRI-AI.ARPA
Subject: Re: Disk naming + copying
To: CAULKINS@USC-ECL.ARPA
cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

The Finder now has a 50K buffer, worst case, which means that a 400K disk should
be copyable in 8 swaps (16 insertions), + a swap to get back the boot disk.

There will also be a single-drive-copy utility which will use a 100K buffer
(including the screen) which allows a disk copy in 4 swaps (8 insertions).  For
copying a small number of files, the Finder will be better, however.  For
example, copying four 10K files can be done in as little as one disk insertion.

JEP's note about Mac not being a good business machine will be obsoleted by
the external disk drive.  Since I'm at Apple, I've had a Mac and an external
drive for quite a while now, and backing up is trivial.  Why all the negative
stuff, JEP?  Still living in the S100 world?  Please go and try one--I think
you'll be pleasantly surprised, if you approach it with an open mind.

Bruce
(Erik@SRI-AI)
-------
27-Mar-84 13:19:59-CST,786;000000000000
Date:     Tue, 27 Mar 84 13:00:02 CST
>From: Mike Caplinger <mike@rice.ARPA>
Subject:  Re: Jerry E. Pournelle
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.ARPA

I usually try to avoid public ad hominem remarks, but does everybody
else find JEP as obnoxious as I do?  Honestly, Jerry, we heard all the
Mac prefix jokes we're likely to need already.  Please try and use the
real English language from here on out.  Just because advertising
people don't use it is no excuse for us not to.
27-Mar-84 18:05:26-CST,4258;000000000000
Date: Tue 27 Mar 84 12:39:54-PST
>From: MOBERLY%hp-labs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: Macintosh stuff at the 9th West Coast Computer Faire
To: info-mac%sumex-aim.arpa@csnet-relay.arpa
Cc: moberly@csnet-relay.arpa
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Macintosh stuff at the Ninth West Coast Computer Faire

In addition to books on Macintosh for sale at the Ninth West Coast
Computer Faire, several other Macintosh and Lisa related products were
on display.  It seems reasonable to assume that many Lisa related
products will be converted to work with Macintosh.

Hardware
--------

	Tecmar demonstrated both a ten Mbyte fixed winchester disk
	system and a dual five Mbyte removable winchester disk system
	(the obvious fixed/removable combination is also in
	development).  Each system was connected to Macintosh via one
	of the serial ports.  Both are expected to be available by
	fall and cost slightly over $2K.  They announced print buffer
	and an HPIB-to-AppleBus converter products, but no firm
	information.

	Several Apple Macintosh external disk drive preproduction
	prototype drives were seen, but none were for being sold.

	Several manufacturers (Apple, TNW, Hayes, etc.) demonstrated
	300 and/or 1200 baud modem products with MacTerminal.

	The Artsci demonstrated their MacPhone product (touchtone, two
	phone lines, auto dialing, hold button, rate timer, etc.).
	They said it was completed and awaiting FCC approval.

Software
--------

	Several retail/wholesalers were selling Microsoft's MacBasic
	and Macintosh Multiplan.  Several developers demonstrated
	programs using Instant Pascal (looks fairly fast although
	the windows may actually make it harder to use).  MacProject
	(very impressive) and MacTerminal were show by various
	vendors.

	Creative Solutions was selling MacForth (level one for $149
	and level two for $249).  It looks good as a product, but the
	cost of right-to-execute license may limit potential markets.

	A version of Creator/Reporter for the Macintosh was
	demonstrated at the Workman & Associates booth.  Creator is a
	public domain data base program generator for Microsoft Basic
	while Reporter is a report program generator.

	Penguin Software demonstrated a version of Transylvannia for
	the Macintosh (Apr84 $34.95).  They announced that Graphics
	Magician Picture Painter, The Quest, and The Coveted Mirror
	would be released by summer.

	Sir-Tech demonstrated a version of Wizardry for the Macintosh
	(available soon) and mentioned that several other games which
	they may convert.

		Parenthetically, most of the interesting animation
		affects on the Apple II were accomplished via
		page-flipping between the high resolution screens.
		Is there any way to change the start of the displayed
		memory in Macintosh?  Is this technique necessary in
		Macintosh for animation effects?

	Artsci mentioned that they will probably convert their Magic
	Office System to run on Macintosh.

	Videx demonstrated their Desktop Calendar (notebook,
	appointment book, alert, tickle file, calendar, etc.) for the
	Lisa 2 Office System.  One of their people indicated a
	Macintosh version was in development.

Macintosh Development Team
--------------------------

	The following booths had Macintosh Development Team posters
	indicating that they have a least some level of interest in
	developing Macintosh related products:

		Apple			Sir-Tech
		Creative Solutions	Penguin Software
		Hayden Books		International Apple Core
		Dilithium Press		Call-Apple
		Waveform		Softalk
		FTL			Pterodactyl
		Artsci			TNW
		Central Point		MacWorld

-------

27-Mar-84 18:46:14-CST,1517;000000000000
Date: Tue 27 Mar 84 16:25:12-PST
>From: STERNLIGHT <STERNLIGHT@USC-ECL.ARPA>
To: mike@RICE.ARPA, info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc: STERNLIGHT@USC-ECL.ARPA

The  thing  about Pournelle, whose remarks in general, it seems to me,
sometimes reflect lack of information (it`s called being both positive
and  wrong),  is that on the Mac he has, it seems to me, turned nasty.
It is my opinion that many of his remarks seem to  reflect  a  lot  of
anger.   Why  he should be angry, and at whom isn't clear.  As long as
he confines it to this bulletin board, each of us can filter  what  he
says  through  our  own  opinions.   When he starts to put some of the
content in  his  column,  he  can  be  damaging.   I  believe  there's
something  going on; I live near him and offered to let him look at my
copy of 'Inside Macintosh' and answer any technical questions(I am  an
Apple  registered  developer), giving him my phone number and offering
to make myself available at his convenience.  He never took me  up  on
the  offer,  and  is  still  spouting what I see as emotional anti-mac
stuff.  I dunno, Marty, what do you want to do tonight?  --david--
-------
28-Mar-84 11:55:34-CST,2884;000000000000
Date: 28 March 1984 03:17-EST
>From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  Jerry E. Pournelle
To: STERNLIGHT @ USC-ECL
cc: info-mac @ SUMEX-AIM, mike @ RICE
ReSent-date: Wed 28 Mar 84 09:04:02-PST

ye flinking gods.
LOVE ME, I am APPLE, and you MUST LOVE ME!  Anything less than
total devotion shall be punished.
	Tell me, MacSir: if I am a business man and I put
together a large and important financial model, how shall I save
it?  How back it up?  How many swaps?  And if I wish to DO
SOMETHING USEFUL, with what do I macDo It?
	I am getting damned tired of the MacHype, and especially
the kind of crap represented by your comments about my
"emotionalism".  Anything less than total devotion to the Mac
is, I gather, punishable.  One does not question the Good Guys.
	Well, we have bought a Mac for 3000 bucks, and the
documents that explain the error codes and such like for another
150; which is why I had no need to take you up on your macoffer,
and besides, I didn't need another dose of machype about how
macwonderful it is.
	I have yet to get a logical answer to the question of
what the computer for the rest of us can DO just now.  True: if
they can sell enough of them, then the software may appear
(assuming the deliberate limits to the machine such as the
soldered in 128 k of memory and the single drive and the
keyboard with no escape key and no arrow keys and the
non-available numeric keypad (not available at our store anyway,
and unimportant; I presume it will come)  -- assuming the
inherent limits don't stop the software, then if they sell
enough of htem it will get written.
	A neat job.  Like  a Hollywood movie.  Go to the star
and say you have the script; to the director and say you have a
star; to the writer and say you have a director; to the money
people and say you have star, script, and director; and with
luck you will have made it all retroactively true.  If you do
not bring it off, well...
	So Apple treats its customers as venture capitalists,
and that's all right; but then they will not listen to any
suggestions (you cannot imagine how many PLEADED with them to
add another drive, or at least have the extra drive avaialable
when it came out) and to keep the price at something reasonable
is not within their intent.
	Are those facts?  Then if it were not an apple product
-- if it were IBM -- would you condemn anyone for wondering what
all the shouting is about?
	Ye immortal gods.  Do you wash your own brains, or do
you take them to a laundry?

28-Mar-84 12:30:54-CST,1256;000000000000
Date: 28 March 1984 03:22-EST
>From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
To: MOBERLY%hp-labs.csnet @ CSNET-RELAY
cc: info-mac @ SUMEX-AIM, moberly @ CSNET-RELAY
ReSent-date: Wed 28 Mar 84 09:04:13-PST

1> the Development Team Seminar was useless.  More information
has been in BYTE than Apple gave at the seminar.

2> Bruce Tonkin wrote the Creator program in his P-basic (which
is a preprocessor to microsoft basic).  It was about the only
application software for Mac I saw other than the two microsoft
(multi plan and basic) products.
	I had not known Bruce put Creator in public domain.  I
believe my copy carries a copyright notice.  It's not here just
now so I can't check.

3> there is a problem with using the data base: namely that
saves are slow and backup copies are slow to make.  But it does
work, and it's fairly impressive.

28-Mar-84 12:54:46-CST,1645;000000000000
Date: Wednesday, 28 Mar 1984 00:16-PST
To: Jef Poskanzer <Poskanzer.PA@PARC-GW.ARPA>
Cc: Mike Caplinger <mike@RICE.ARPA>, info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
>From: edhall@Rand-Unix
ReSent-date: Wed 28 Mar 84 09:04:30-PST

I wish people would follow the editor's advice and keep ``Is the
MacIntosh a useful/bogus machine'' discussions off of INFO-MAC.
They are a bit like the anti-UNIX flames that occasionally erupt in
UNIX-WIZARDS, and generates no more useful information.

As for Jerry Pournelle, I would hope that someone who has been
around as long as he has would have a bit more respect for the
purpose of this list: information, not innuendo.  The jury is
still out as to what kind of technological advance the Mac
represents (if any).  Right now, those of us with Macs and
those of us preparing for Macs want hard data, to see just what
we can get this beastie to do.  Six months from now we'll all
know just how successful our efforts have been.

If you want to argue the relative merits of the MacIntosh as
compared to the IBM-PC or the IMSAI 8800, do it in INFO-MICRO
where such discussions are more appropriate.  Or even better,
bite your tongue for a while until the dust clears.

		-Ed Hall
		The Rand Corporation
		1700 Main St.
		Santa Monica, CA  90406
		(213) 393-0411
28-Mar-84 13:23:52-CST,4028;000000000000
Date: 28 March 1984 03:50-EST
>From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  Disk naming + copying
To: ERIK @ SRI-AI
cc: info-mac @ SUMEX-AIM, CAULKINS @ USC-ECL
ReSent-date: Wed 28 Mar 84 09:25:28-PST

When (Real Soon Now) you can GET the external drive (and how
much will that cost?) I will be glad to act as if Apple is
selling a two-drive systm.  At the moment, for completely
unfathomable resons--certainly no one has ever given me a
logical explanation other than that by saving some money Apple
can pass the savings along to their stockholders, just like IBM
does-- the Macintosh is a single drive system.
	When the software is out, and the second drive is out,
and the extra memory is installed, you are probably talking
about a $4000 package.  It may be that for that price there is
no competitive system, but I thnk I do not _a priori_ accept
that.
	If the systems documents came with it, one might be able
to decide what you could REALLY do with the Mac; but in fact the
"development seminar" at the Faire was a , well, I won't say
joke, but the kindest words I heard were "waste of my time"
(this from a Mac enthusiast).  Thus: I don't know whqt you can
do with a Mac other than buy a Lisa-2 to keep it company.  Lord
knows this is a clever deal for Apple; Lisa sales were not very
good, so perhaps the Mac can do something to remedy the
situation.
	None of this is reprehensible.  However, I see no reason
to pretend that Apple has joined the ranks of the public
benefactors, or that we should view this marketing strategy any
differently from the way we would view it if IBM or DEC had
adopted it.
	If IBM had come out with a proprietary operating system,
every editor in this field would be screaming at them.
	The MacIntosh divides the micro community; there is not
even a way to get source code onto it (except through a Lisa).
The documents that come with it do not explain the error
messages you can get by what seem reasonable operations.  Thgere
are several ways inadvertantly to lose text or pictures ( we
lost the pretty picture of the fish when I cut instead of
pasted).
	I can do four to six page illustrated memos with a Mac.
Or with a Flair.
	The worst is that there exists a terrific operating
system, more or less derived from the dame place that Apple got
the ideas for Lisa and Mac.  It's the PUBLIC DOMAIN Modula-2
operating system that uses mouse, has integral debugger and real
time windows, and does provide a programmer's dream working
environment; not only does Macintosh not seem to have made any
attempt to interface with that, but I have some evidence that
there's not enough information given to allow that to be done.
	I want to see the MAC dragged, kicking and screaaming if
need be, into the micro world so that it can be source code
compatible with text filters, formatters, index systems,
editors, and other stuff; why must we always reinvent the wheel?
But I see little chance of that.
	And the name of that game is MacProfit.
	When IBM brings out a proprietary operating system, and
isolates their customers from the rest of the micro world. will
Apple cheer?  (Probably; it also gives Apple a safe niche?)
	I know that every time we are divided, we give another
rachet to IBM.  Theeffect of the Mac may well be to do that
again.  WHY COULDN"T IT HAVE MADE SOME PRIVISION FOR SOME
COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE REST OF THE MICRO WORLD?  WHY COULDN"T
IT HAVE HAD A , if not standard, then at least not DELIBERATELY
UNSTANDARD keyboard?  And so forth.  And why must I regard all
these trends as if they were handed down from on high, so that
it is the Sin Against the Holy Spirit to question them?

-------