[net.micro.apple] INFO-MAC Articles - 4 of 8

bees@drutx.UUCP (DavisRB) (05/23/84)

16-Apr-84 12:37:50-CST,3101;000000000000
Date: 13-Apr-84 21:09:22-EST
>From: jmh@BNL
Subject: Misc. Questions
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM
ReSent-date: Mon 16 Apr 84 09:48:12-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

1.  Where on Compuserve are the Basic Macintosh Programs stored?  What is the
    procedure for downloading them (What commands will access the specific
      section of Compuserve)

2.   How can you edit a large text file (created with Mbasic), with MacWrite
     when the Clipboard reports OUT OF HEAP SPACE.  I have only been able to
     edit small text files by sending them to CLIP, then pasting in MACWRITE.
     Even then, I find unusual trash characters strewn throughout the
     document.

3.   How do you turn a MBASIC text file into an Mbasic program... (ie, you
     download a basic program, save it into a text file, and want to push it
     directly into basic (instead of typing it in yourself)) [the solution on
     the Apple would be to use the exec command]

4.   Are there any calls available from Mbasic to put an accesory, such as
     the clock, at a certain position on the screen.

5.   MBASIC bug:  Accessories cannot use the cut and paste menu.  When Mbasic
     is loaded, the Mac forgets all disks that is had lying on the desktop
     Microsoft told me this was done because memory was needed for other
     things.

6.   MacPaint suggestion:  Always put Macpaint on a start-up disk (one with
     the system folder), and run it from that disk... otherwise excessive
     disk swaps will result, every time you move the picture around, or use
     the TEXT entry mode.

7.   Today, I received a packet from Microsoft which was labelled "Calling
     ROM Routines.  It mentions that the Quickdraw programmers Guide is available
     from Apple. If you need any specific information on the Quickdraw routines
     drop me a note, and I will check the packet for information.  The subtitles
     are:

Parameters
    Rectangle
    Cursor
    Pattern
    X,Y Coordinates
    Miscellaneous integers
Functions
    <descriptions of each of the Calls listed in Appendix E of the MBasic
     manual>

In addition, there is a 32 line terminal emulator called smallterm.bas which
is useful for those who don't want to type in MacTEP... smallterm.bas sets
the baud, parity, stop bits, data bits, and goes into terminal mode.

8.    I have heard rumors that the 256K chips will be available in June... Has
      anyone heard similar things?

9.    I was told that MacTerminal (originally scheduled to be released in April
      is not going to be available until June... (this was told to me by a
      (make that an) Authorized Apple Dealer.

That's all for now... I will appreciate any help you can offer...

Joel M. Heller (jmh@BNL)  or   (!philabs!sbcs!BNL!jmh)
16-Apr-84 13:17:32-CST,2665;000000000000
Date:     Fri, 13 Apr 84 08:38 EST
>From:     Stephen Vinter <vinter%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
To:       info-mac%sumex-aim.arpa@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject:  Lisa 2 questions
ReSent-date: Mon 16 Apr 84 09:50:44-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I'm in the dark about a number of things concerning the
Lisa, and I can't seem to get questions answered elsewhere.
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Concerning software:

Are there any good DBMS systems around? LisaList isn't very
impressive. How about word processing programs more powerful
than LisaWrite? Can they be integrated with the other Lisa
office programs (i.e., run concurrently and able to transfer
info easily between them)?

What are the improvements expected in the Lisa office programs?
I understood that LisaWrite was going to include footnotes.
Surely there must be other, more substantial, improvements.

How good is LisaTerminal? What terminals can it emulate?

One problem I noted with an upgraded Lisa I running with a
hard disk was than it was very slow to open new files and 'tools'
(10-30 seconds). Is any improvement to this problem in sight?

Concerning hardware:

Is there any different between the Lisa II/5 and Lisa II/10 other
than the disk capacity and the hard disk being inside? Is the
I/O done any faster?

How much of the 5M with the Lisa II/5 is used to hold the tools,
and how much is left over for work space? How significant is
the redundancy - in other words, how much space is really
available for data files?

The clearest font off the Lisa matrix printer wasn't nearly as
clear as what comes off the Epson FX-80. Is it possible to
configure the Epson with the Lisa without giving up any
printing capabilities? If not, are there other dot-matrix
printers other than what comes from Apple that I could use?

Are there any other significant hardware/software problems
that I should be aware of (apart from any philosophical
differences people may have with the Lisa/Mac approach
to computing)? I'm willing to live with the speed difference
between the Mac and Lisa, and intend to take advantage of
the Mac emulation on the Lisa, but understand that I have to
give up multi-tasking to do it.

                                  Steve Vinter
16-Apr-84 13:41:50-CST,1297;000000000000
Date: 14 Apr 1984 13:47:50-EST
>From: Harry.Orenstein at CMU-CS-SPICE
Subject: Re:Re: Periph. Actually..
ReSent-date: Mon 16 Apr 84 09:51:11-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

In the way of response to Randy Frank's message concerning "How can Davong
use the RS-422 port for the hard disk?"...  this is simplicity itself, since
the Mac is made to be used with central devices on the A-Net.  The RS-422 IS
the connection to the A-Net (PLEASE, someone correct me if I am wrong, this
is what Apple seemed to say when I spoke to them after an on-campus
lecture).  This means that any device capable of acting as a netted device
on A-Net (I assume this is how the Davong unit does it) can be accessed over
the net with the proper leading message requesting the hard disk.  The real
question is.. how fast is it?  The RS-422 port has a maximum speed of 1Mbaud
and that, combined with the net style data transmission should degrade the
effective speed of the hard disk.

Harry O.
16-Apr-84 14:31:42-CST,2031;000000000000
Date: 15 Apr 84 21:03:51 PST (Sunday)
Subject: Tiring Mouse UI
To: Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc: Mackey.PA@Xerox.ARPA
>From: Kevin <Mackey.PA@Xerox.ARPA>
ReSent-date: Mon 16 Apr 84 09:52:17-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Douglas Engelbart, inventor of the mouse, gave a talk at Xerox PARC a
few days ago. He commented on having used LisaDraw, and how tired his
right arm became while his left arm dangled uselessly at his side.
Around the time the mouse was developed, there was also a "keyset" which
had five keys for the left hand to chord. This would let you enter
characters that would be treated as commands or text to enter. This is
something he is used to.

This illustrated something I don't like about the Lisa and Macintosh
user interfaces: they overload the mouse. Most operations are invoked
using the mouse, rather than also using function keys. Though there are
control keys to invoke some operations, they are hard to remember, are
different for each application, and difficult to use since you must
press the control key at the same time you press the letter. For
instance, while in the Finder, control-I (which is a bit hard to type)
does Get Info, while in MacWrite control-I does Italic. Notice also that
control-P was not used for Paste since it's so awkward, but instead
control-V, which is non-mnemonic.

It seems that Apple became mouse-happy and tried to make it do too much.
This may have justified the lack of a row of virtual keys on the
keyboard, or at least keys for commonly used commands, like Cut and
Paste. They tried to move away from the keyboard rather than melding it
with the mouse.

~Kevin
16-Apr-84 14:50:48-CST,1901;000000000000
Date:  Sat, 14 Apr 84 10:42 MST
>From:  MMMcNally.Scouting@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
ReSent-date: Mon 16 Apr 84 09:52:36-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Although MS-Basic isn't PL/I or even Pascle I myself
have no major complaints.  The editing system makes I.B.M.'s
version look like the obsolete code it is. But, in truth, I
will most likely drop MS as soon as MacBasic comes out. For
those of you who haven't read it's description in Byte
I strongly recomend it.

A few Notes on Basic:

As previously noted "Clear,25000" gives the user more programming space,
but only at the expense of the heap. Well, after using that command,
I felt like I was programming in sludge. When I tried scrolling my
list window EVERY SINGLE LINE had to be called off of the disk.
I tried some fiddling around and found that around "Clear,20000"
is the largest clear statement that will give you more memory, but not
kill the systems speed. The system boots with a "Clear,14***" already in
process, so you can acquire about another 5K with "Clear,20000"

                           ==matt mcnally
16-Apr-84 15:43:49-CST,1055;000000000000
Date: 15 Apr 1984 02:26:58-EST
>From: Duane.Williams at CMU-CS-IUS
Subject: Macintosh bugs
ReSent-date: Mon 16 Apr 84 09:51:56-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I think it is great that people can transmit bug reports so conveniently to
Apple via this mailing list.  I am wondering, though, whether, and if so
when and by what mechanism, we can expect to benefit from our efforts.  The
written material that accompanies Apple software says that Apple takes no
responsibility for its working properly, and gives no hint about whether
users can ever expect to be given bug fixes.  Does anyone know whether Apple
plans to distribute debugged code to those who were brave enough to purchase
the early release versions?

Duane (dtw@cmu-cs-ius)
16-Apr-84 16:24:00-CST,1114;000000000000
Date: 15 Apr 84 00:15 EST
>From: Richard Reich <REICH@NYU-ACF1.ARPA>
To: Piersol.Pasa@XEROX.ARPA
Subject: RE: reading those mactep downloaded files
Cc: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
	Message of 13-APR-1984 15:59 from Piersol.Pasa@Xerox.ARPA
ReSent-date: Mon 16 Apr 84 14:10:14-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

What follows is a program that examines and (optionally) changes the
FileDataType of a Mac file.  After, changing the type of, say, a MacTEP
downloaded file to TEXT (case is supposed to be significant), click
MacWrite, shift-click the significant), click
MacWrite, shift-click the file icon, then click (File menu) Open.
-r
--------

[Ed. File is on {SUMEX-AIM}<INFO-MAC>ModifyFInfo.Bas]
16-Apr-84 16:25:28-CST,1283;000000000000
Date: 16 Apr 1984 16:42:26-EST
>From: Walter.Smith at CMU-CS-SPICE
Subject: Finder bug
ReSent-date: Mon 16 Apr 84 13:54:43-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

In a post around Apr. 4, Ben Hyde warned not to empty the trash when there
is an info window open on a document in the trash can.  His warning was a
bit understated.  The first time I did this (on purpose, using a trash
disk), the "serious system error ID=02" (bomb) box appeared, and the system
restarted just fine.  Unfortunately, the second time (on another, useful
disk) had more serious results.  Attempting to boot with this disk causes
the "sad Mac" icon to appear, with code 0F009D (I'm not certain of the 9D
part, but it's definitely two digits, so it's not in the table posted
earlier).  Attempting to use it while a system is running produces the "This
disk is unreadable; do you want to initialize it" message.  I hope this bug
is fixed in the new Finder.

-Walter Smith  (wrs@CMU-CS-SPICE)
-------