[net.micro.apple] INFO-MAC Articles - 6 of 8

bees@drutx.UUCP (DavisRB) (05/23/84)

18-Apr-84 16:22:00-CST,1016;000000000000
Date: 18 Apr 1984 1139-PST
Subject: re: a small Mac editor
>From: Mike Schuster <MIKES@CIT-20>
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Wed 18 Apr 84 13:32:22-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Rather than wasting time writting yet another small & fast Mac editor,
I suggest some work be done on decreasing the time to open and close
an application.  This is the heart of the problem.  MacWrite is small
and easy to use, its just slower to launch than the notepad.

Decreasing launch time would help every application.  For example,
consider a phone directory.  Who is going to wait 15-20 seconds for a
directory application program to open just to find and dial a phone
number?

Mike
(mikes@cit-20)
-------
20-Apr-84 10:46:41-CST,1044;000000000000
Date: Wed 18 Apr 84 18:25:09-MST
>From: Randy Frank <FRANK@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Simple text editor for the mac
To: PALLAS@SU-SCORE.ARPA, info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 08:09:45-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The information we have is that Apple very definitely plans on a Mac-based
Mac development environment.  However, we understand that it will require a
.5MB Mac (256K ram chip version) Mac, and so won't be available until the
upgraded Macs are.  We have also heard enough to believe that the delay in
the Mac-based development environment may more likely be the .5MB Macs than
the software.
-------
20-Apr-84 11:06:03-CST,989;000000000000
Date:     Wed, 18 Apr 84 22:13:54 CST
>From: Mike Caplinger <mike@rice.ARPA>
Subject:  VT102?
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 08:09:47-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I have an alpha-test version of MacTerm, and according to the (sparse)
documentation, it does VT102 insert and delete line and character
sequences.  Unfortunately, I don't know what those sequences are!
Anybody out there better informed than me?

By the way, MacTerm isn't perfect, but I could easily get used to the
key mappings, if I had to.  Now if they would just add some mouse
support...
20-Apr-84 11:26:22-CST,1967;000000000000
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 84 02:40:36 CST
>From: Werner Uhrig <werner@ut-ngp.ARPA>
To: infomac@utexas-20.ARPA
Cc: werner@utexas-20.ARPA
Subject: another opinion of the Mac 'to relax by'
ReSent-date: Thu 19 Apr 84 02:47:51-CST
ReSent-from: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
ReSent-to: info-mac@UTEXAS-20.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 08:09:50-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

just in case Jerry made you feel uncertain about the Mac .....

>From mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) Sun Feb  6 00:28:16 206
Newsgroups: net.micro
Subject: Re: Well written Macintosh overview (comments on comments)

When the Mac was first announced officially, and could be seen here,
the people with most immediately enthusiastic responses were precisely
those people who have been deeply into computers for years.  They could
appreciate the wonder of the Mac faster than the "users" (non-novice but
non-wizard).  Having been involved with computers for 30 years now, I
found myself with that quick "This is a real machine -- it's RIGHT" reaction.
After 6 weeks of using one, my main finding is that now my writings
have many more figures in them and are easier to read.  No programming
support yet, but what a joy it is to use the things that are there.
Programming will come.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

20-Apr-84 11:46:49-CST,2286;000000000000
Date: 19 Apr 1984 10:16:33-EST
>From: Kevin.Dowling at CMU-RI-ROVER
Subject: sieve
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 08:09:51-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Well all is not cheery on the MacPascal front...
I used the Sieve version appearing in the Jan. 83 Byte issue p284.
Here's what the program is:

program prime;
const
	size = 8190;
var
	flags : array [0..size] of boolean;
	i, prime, k, count, iter : integer;
begin
  writeln('10 iterations');
  for iter := 1 to 10 do
	begin
	  count := 0;
	  for i := 0 to size do
	    flags[i] := true;
	  for i := 0 to size do
	    if flags[i] then
		begin
		  prime := i+i+3;
	          k := i+ prime
		  while k <= size do
		    begin
	 	      flags[k] := false;
		      k := K + prime
		    end;
		    count := count + 1
	        end;
         end;
  writeln(count,' primes')
end.

As I typed it in, it did a nice job of auto-indenting, bold facing
reserved words. There are step, trace, run, stop, reset functions
when using your program. Menu or Keyboard.

So I  tried to run it.
First problem it didn't like program prime and var prime. Foo.
so I change the program name to prim.

So I tried to run it.
Second problem it didn't like size used in the var field. Foo
so I change size to it's value of 8190.

So I tried to run it.
Third problem: Not enough memory for an array of that size!
The error message says "Install 256K RAM Chips"  Right...

I don't understand that. The boolean array undoubtedly can be
8191 bits in memory or 1K of RAM, and there should be plenty
of space for that! So I reduce the size and finally runs at an
array size of 600, (it failed at 700 and I didn't try iterating any further)
It takes 1 Min 14 seconds to do this... Not Impressive.
Remember though, it's interpreted not compiled.  I would guess a compiled
version would run an order of magnitude faster (at least)...

Other Bugs: File I/O, Sets, readln w/ No arg...

					nivek

20-Apr-84 12:13:26-CST,1244;000000000000
Date: 19 Apr 1984 1152-EST
>From: DEUFEL at DEC-MARLBORO
To: INFO-MAC at SUMEX
Subject: MacPaint Question
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 08:09:53-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Does anyone know of any way to print multiple copies of MacPaint
documents? I have found that I can create duplicates of the file,
select all of them on the desk top, drag down through the FILE
menu to PRINT and MacPaint will print each in turn. Unfortunately,
I am bounded by disk space. Is there any "hidden feature" or trick
that will allow me to print multiple copies from one MacPaint
document without "OPERATOR INTERVENTION"???

Also, has anyone out there given any thought to hooking up a video
camera (such as the one described in Byte September 1983 (?))? It is
rumored to be available with a RS232 interface.

			Cheers,
			-Abdul-

   --------
20-Apr-84 12:34:00-CST,843;000000000000
Date: 19 Apr 1984 12:31:53-EST
>From: Bruce.Lucas at CMU-CS-IUS
Subject: small editor
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 08:09:55-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Well, at about 50k MacWrite doesn't exactly qualify as small on a 400k minus
system stuff disk.  It's overkill for random notes.  What I was hoping for
would be a small editor as a desk accesory.  The parts are almost all there:
the notepad and the scrapbook.  What is needed to make it really useful is,
say, multiple named scrapbooks that you could keep in various folders.
20-Apr-84 12:55:54-CST,1900;000000000000
Date: 19 Apr 1984 14:19:02-EST
>From: Kevin.Dowling at CMU-RI-ROVER
Subject: MacWorld
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 08:09:57-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

New issue of MacWorld came today:
here are some tidbits....

new version of MacWrite will be available. Includes superscript and
subscript options in Style menu, and revisions to header and footer.
No mention of cost (if any) and when...

Macintalk: phoeneme program for ASCII to speech. Same guy who did SAM for
Apple II (anyone familiar with this?) Looks real interesting, and you can
use Basic or Pascal to make calls to it.
Apple plans to use it to replace the audio cassettes for the Guided Tour.

Trivia:
	That sensational TV ad shown during the SuperBowl was also shown
earlier.  Specifically at some small station in Twin Falls, IDAHO KMVT
on December 15 at 1 in the morning it was shown.  This means it was shown in
1983 and could qualify for the 1984 Cleo Awards!

Article on Disk Juggling to optimize number of swaps necessary.
Hopefully articles like this won't be necessary in a few months!

Ads for a Magic Phone Dialer, prints details of each call (time number charge)
mouse used to select and dial. retty nice for checking MCI/Sprint bills.

Article on the Lisa and Microsoft Chart: nothing new...

One company advertising professional typeseting for the Mac.

An article on Macintosh Pascal.

There's an excerpt from Cary Lu's Book also and an article on

the Apple university consortium. Also an interesting look at te
international Mac  marketing effort.

					nivek

20-Apr-84 13:19:56-CST,841;000000000000
Date:           Thu, 19 Apr 84 20:53:11 PST
>From:           Matthew J. Weinstein <matt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>
To:             info-mac@sumex
Subject:        IWM Speed
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 08:09:59-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Does anyone know if the Mac's disk controller can be told the spin/density
to use on a disk?  It would be nice to have a way to put a 5 1/4" drive
on the spare floppy port, or write HP-150 disks.

				- Matt

[The question ``Why on earth would you want to do that?'' is, of course,
 obvious.]
20-Apr-84 13:45:17-CST,2622;000000000000
Date: Thursday, 19 April 1984 23:21:56 EST
>From: Tom.Wood@cmu-ri-fas.arpa
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa
Subject: May/June issue of MacWorld
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 08:10:03-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Just received this in the mail (I am surprised the second issue came out so
soon.)

    Good article called "The Compleat Disk Juggler" on how to use your
single-drive Mac more efficiently.  Contains specific instructions on how to
use the FontMover and some suggestions on how to set up working disks.

    Review of MS Chart--lots of pictures.

    Article on Lisa 2.  Interesting photographs of Lisa screen running Mac
software--the aspect ratio problem is amusing.

    Other articles (of course) about the Apple University Consortium (looks
at Brown, Stanford, U of Michigan); international versions of the Mac;
preview of MacPascal; etc., etc.

Notables from the "Macworld View" section:

    John Rizzo (Apple hardware product manager) says 512K Macs may appear in
early 1985 . . .

    Apple will be selling Alice (for under $40, of all things) . . .

    A new version of Macwrite "should be available from your dealer soon."
Fixes to Header/Footer problems, subscripts and superscripts . . .

>From the "Disk Juggler" article:

    The new version of the Finder will include an option to to specify an
application to run on startup.  Performance improvements have been made
in the boot procedure and in restarting the Finder after an application
exits.

Warning: opinion begins here.

    The second issue maintains the rather innovative graphic layout of the
first: lots of whitespace, lots of photographs and screen dumps.  I think it
will be interesting to see what happens as the magazine grows in terms of
advertising copy (there are, btw, a number of new products advertised in the
second issue).  Most of these computer mags tend to be dominated by ads
starring PC boards.  I do not think PC boards are particularly lovely to
look at (you may think otherwise).  In Macworld, ads like that will make
even more of an impact.  Then again, no one should be advertising PC
board-level products for the Mac, anyway . . .

				-Tom Wood
				 C-MU Robotics Institute
				 (taw@cmu-ri-fas)
20-Apr-84 14:10:06-CST,4772;000000000000
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 1984 14:39:08 EST
>From: Macintosh Evaluation Project <MAC%upenn-1100.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: AppleView
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 08:10:06-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

     We just received copies of a 'magazine' called "AppleView", which is a
publication of the Marlboro Technical Support Group, 171 Locke Dr.,
Marlboro, MA 01752.  It appears to be a newsletter that is sent to dealers of
Apple equipment (I assume that we're getting it because we're consortium
members).  Older issues focus on the Lisa and the Apple II, but issues from
February '84 onward also contain Macintosh material.  I have no idea whether
this newsletter is generally available to Mac owners, so I'll try and
summarize useful info on this list when I discover it.  Here's what I've found
so far...

2/84 issue:
    Two-page article on inserting tabs in MacWrite, w/no info that isn't in
the manual already.
    1-page summary of assorted Macintosh info, including:
     1)  The Mac currently supports only the Imagewriter, though other drivers
may be developed in the future by Apple or other vendors.
     2)  A few of the Imagewriter cables went out incorrectly wired.  If pin
20 is clipped, try setting switch 3 on bank 2 to the off position, enabling
Xon/Xoff protocol, and it will probably work.
     3)  The Guided Tour and MacTest diskettes can be copied, but only on a
two-drive system.  The guided tours require a cold boot before insertion.
     4)  Pictures copied from MacPaint to MacWrite will appear lighter upon
printing.
    An article on fonts, w/no new info.
    An article on cutting and pasting between macpaint and macwrite.  One
new fact is that a double-click on the selection rectangle in paint (the
"marquee") will select the entire drawing window.
    A 2-page article on the Mac Alarm Clock accessory, which mentions that the
Mac manual did not include the directions for the clock.  For those who were
wondering, here they are, minus the illustrations.
 a)  To get the alarm clock, pull down the Apple Menu and select Alarm Clock.
 b)  A small window will appear, containing (from left to right) a close box,
the current time, and an unnamed symbol.  Clicking on this symbol "opens" the
clock mechanism by adding two additional lines under the original window.  The
upper line contains the clock/alarm setting equipment, and the lower line
contains three icons, as follows from left to right:  clock face, calendar, and
alarm clock.  These are used in combination with the line above as follows:
   By clicking on the clock-face icon, the setting window can be used to change
the current time of day via the up/down arrows or clicking on any of hour,
minute, second, or AM/PM and typing in the new setting.
   By clicking on the calendar icon, the current date can be set in a similar
manner.
   By clicking on the alarm-clock icon, the time when the alarm will "ring"
can be set in a similar manner.  When this icon is clicked, the left side of
the 'setting' line will contain an additional icon, of a two-position switch.
Clicking on this switch will change its setting.  The switch is used to turn
the alarm on or off, and the current position will be visually displayed via
the alarm-clock icon below.
   Closing the alarm clock window can be done whether or not the lower section
is displayed.  The icon on the top line which opens the mechanism can also
be used to close the mechanism, but not the alarm clock accessory itself.
   When the alarm is set and the selected time is reached, the speaker will
beep once and the Apple Menu symbol will begin to flash.  This flashing will
continue until you select the alarm clock once again.  (This explains why, on
occasion, this symbol is flashing at startup time -- the alarm was set when
the system was last used.)

3/84 issue:
   Good one-page discussion of how best to split the Write/Paint disk into
two separate startup disks for maximum scratch/document space.  One interesting
thing here is that the Imagewriter file in the system folder is only needed for
MacWrite, not for Mac Paint.  Eliminating it saves 17K.
    Brief summary of use of Header and Footer windows in MacWrite.  Nothing new.

That's it, for now.
--Dave Axler
20-Apr-84 15:39:12-CST,1445;000000000000
Date: 20 Apr 1984 11:19-EST
>From: Jim Walkup <jww@rice.ARPA>
Subject: unreadable disks
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 12:40:00-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I have a disk with some data on it which I would like to keep which the Mac
refuses to read.  The symptoms are:
1) the machine refuses to boot off of the disk
2) if it is booted from another disk, that disk ejected, and the bad
	 disk inserted, the system bombs
3) in both cases, a "severe system error" "ID = 02" is given and the
	 machine halts

The disk worked quite well for a day and a half.  At that time, it had
	 the entire system folder on it.  I deleted the "system" and
	 the "imagewriter" files from the system folder with no
	 apparent harm.  I then copied the "system" file back in
	 successfully.  I tried to copy the "imagewriter" file back
	 onto the disk, but got a "disk full--use another disk"
	 message.  I tried this copy a second time and seemed to
	 succeed.
If anyone knows how to retrieve the data, I would like to know.

20-Apr-84 17:30:24-CST,1205;000000000000
Date: Fri 20 Apr 84 15:51:17-EST
>From: Michael Rubin <RUBIN@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA>
Subject: Re: IWM Speed
To: matt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 15:16:41-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Well, you can tell the IWM what speed to spin the disk at, and probably the
density too, but that won't let you read HP-150 disks.  All Apples (the
Apple II as well as the Mac) write their disks in a format called "group
code recording", which involves differences in the *analog* part of the
controller.  It might theoretically be possible to control a Lisa I "twiggy"
5 1/4" drive with the IWM, and maybe even an Apple II 5 1/4" drive, but
only if you can figure out the IWM's opcodes and hack up the driver routines
inside the operating system.
-------
20-Apr-84 17:42:53-CST,1339;000000000000
Date: 20 Apr 84 09:40:54 PST (Friday)
>From: Hoffman.es@XEROX.ARPA
Subject: College deals -- old and new
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc: Hoffman.es@XEROX.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 15:16:43-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

In the latest (April 11, 1984) issue of 'The Chronicle of Higher
Education', pages 14-15, is a piece about the Apple Consortium and the
new arrangements for many more schools.  Concerning the Consortium,
there are good stories and quotes (from Dartmouth, Mass., Mich.,
Stanford, Rice, and others) about the waiting lists and lotteries,
reselling ads and ploys and counter-ploys, repurchase agreements, and
more.  As for the new, expanded discount program, it boils down to
little more than industry-standard educational discounts:  in the range
of 20-25% (instead of the near 60% to Consortium members), though it
says the discounts might be more for large customers (orders over, say,
$1 million).

--Rodney Hoffman
20-Apr-84 18:08:41-CST,130;000000000000

20-Apr-84 18:20:27-CST,1804;000000000000
Date: Fri 20 Apr 84 13:29:25-PST
>From: Christopher Ho <Chris@USC-ECLB.ARPA>
Subject: Re: sieve
To: Kevin.Dowling@CMU-RI-ROVER.ARPA, Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 15:16:45-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

	I do not have a Mac (yet), but I feel I should bring up a
point about Kevin's sieve of Eratosthenes in MacPascal.
	Most pascals are implemented such that an ARRAY OF BOOLEAN is
a different data structure than an PACKED ARRAY OF BOOLEAN.  The
former, in the Mac's case, takes up either 8 K Bytes or 8 K Words,
whereas the latter would take up the 8 K bits Kevin expected.  The
former is usually associated with increased speed (ie no internal
packing or unpacking is required) whereas the latter is, of course,
associated with decreased space requirements.
        I realize that changing the ARRAY to PACKED ARRAY may change
the nature of this benchmark, but I think it is necessary to get at
least some idea of the relative speeds.  Perhaps Kevin or someone else
would care to make this minor change and report the results?

                                                Christopher Ho
                                                Chris@Usc-Eclb

ps The PROGRAM PRIME/VAR PRIME bug sounds annoying but livable, the
   inability to use the CONST SIZE a definite bug.  Could you
   elaborate on the 'other bugs' regarding File I/O, Sets and ReadLn?
-------
20-Apr-84 18:37:05-CST,2606;000000000000
Date:           Fri, 20 Apr 84 13:34:27 PST
>From:           Peter Homeier <homeier@AEROSPACE>
To:             info-mac@sumex-aim
Subject:        Alice
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 15:16:47-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

In case some people do not have access to the May/June issue of MacWorld,
here is the description of the Alice-in-Wonderland game for the Macintosh:

----------- Begining of article

     If you like fast-paced video games and know how to play chess, you'll
want to try a three-dimensional animated chess game called Alice.  This
new game by Macintosh programmer Steve Capps takes Alice out of Wonderland
and puts her on the Mac screen.

     We looked at a prerelease version of the game, which opens on a woodcut
graphic of a medieval figure playing chess and then shifts to a chessboard.
Six chess pieces zoom to the front of the board, and you select a piece to
indicate which powers Alice will adopt (for example, if you choose the
Queen, Alice can move in any direction, any number of squares).  You have
only one piece, Alice, to play against the game's complement of chess
pieces.

     Your score is posted above the board.  When you take a chess piece, your
score increases; it decreases when a piece takes Alice.  To obtain a perfect
score of 999, you must capture all the chess pieces, never let Alice get
captured, and let all the pawns more to the front row and become queens before
capturing them.

     Capp's future plans for Alice incorporate the construction trend in
software games-- letting users access programs and redraw the game figures
as well as redefine their functions.  In Alice the user will be able to
redraw the chess pieces or change the expression on the faces as the
pieces move.

     Apple estimates that Alice will be released in May, for under $40.

------- End of article

>From the small picture included in the article, the three-dimensional
effect is achieved by having pieces in the front rank drawn bigger than
pieces in the back rank.  The enemy pieces face you, and the Alice figure
(a little girl with long hair in a dress) faces away.  It's a really
cute game.

I wonder how well the Mac plays;  any fair player would be able to defeat
a single Queen.

Peter Homeier (homeier@aerospace)
20-Apr-84 19:01:20-CST,1224;000000000000
Date: 20 Apr 1984 16:37:11-EST
>From: Duane.Williams at CMU-CS-IUS
Subject: Bugs
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 15:16:50-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

(1) Locking a document doesn't prevent its being overwritten with MacWrite!
    The Macintosh manual does not say that locking protects a document
    from destruction by application programs, but it is pretty useless if it
    doesn't do so.  It won't let you deliberately drag the document into the
    trash, but it will let you accidentally save something entirely different
    on top of it.

(2) If you change the font/style for text you are about to write (in MacWrite)
    and then startup the Notepad before actually putting any new characters
    into the MacWrite document, the font/style change is undone.  The Notepad
    should save and then restore the current font/style if an application
    program is running.

Duane (dtw@cmu-cs-ius)
20-Apr-84 19:17:49-CST,868;000000000000
Date: 20 Apr 1984 16:51:03-EST
>From: Duane.Williams at CMU-CS-IUS
Subject: Note about tall adjust printing
ReSent-date: Fri 20 Apr 84 15:16:52-PST
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

     If you print a MacWrite document in "tall adjust" mode, you probably
shouldn't extend the default width of the text line (in particular, don't
move the right margin to the 7 3/8" mark).  Extending the line width can
cause the final character to be lost on the Imagewriter output.

     Printing text with "tall adjust" produces nicer looking output than the
default mode.
-------