[net.micro.apple] INFO-MAC Articles - 7 of 8

bees@drutx.UUCP (05/23/84)

                ---------------

   1) 30-Apr David Spector
   2) 30-Apr Ed Pattermann        Upgrade of FINDER/WRITE/PAINT
   3)  1-May John Palevich        Alan Kay
   4)  1-May STERNLIGHT@USC-ECL.A Finder/system and Macworks bomb
   5)  1-May ERIK@SRI-AI.ARPA     Japanese Macintosh
   6)  1-May Bob Rees             1 vs. 2 floppy drives
   7)  1-May bill coderre         MacPaint stuff
   8)  1-May STERNLIGHT@USC-ECL.A Mac configuration
   9)  2-May mark@harvard (Mark L Re:  MacPaint stuff
  10)  2-May len                  MacWrite Bug report
  11)  2-May David Potter, Softma Mice for the Ambidextrous
  12)  2-May Edward.Tecot at CMU- Re: MacPaint Stuff
  13)  3-May John Palevich        My (educated) opinion on the Mac's design
  14)  3-May John Palevich        How to transfer a Mac file?
  15)  3-May Jerry E. Pournelle   deadlines
  16)  3-May David.Anderson at CM What's in the manual?
  17)  3-May INTMET@BBNA.ARPA     MacForth Users Group.
  18)  3-May Richard Reich        Toolbox equates for peons
  19)  4-May ERIK@SRI-AI.ARPA     Accurate Info for your column
  20)  4-May DBECK@SRI-KL.ARPA    support
  21)  4-May Ron                  MacAssembler requires * 2 * Macs!?
  22)  4-May Christopher A Kent   Re: MacAssembler requires * 2 * Macs!?
  23)  4-May Chad Leland Mitchell standalone
  24)  4-May Dick Kalagher        Re: MacAssembler requires * 2 * Macs!?
  25)  4-May Ronald A. Jarrell    fixing a trashed disk
  26)  4-May Ronald A. Jarrell    MacWrite "Feature"
  27)  5-May Peter.Monta@cmu-cs-g Quickdraw bug?
  28)  7-May Walter.Smith at CMU- Re: user's groups
  29)  7-May JSMCCLEES@BBNG.ARPA  macpaint font bug, mac user group
  30)  7-May Tim McNerney         Teaching assembly language programming, Mac s
  31)  7-May Bruce.Lucas at CMU-C bugs
  32)  7-May ERIK@SRI-AI.ARPA     This is not an Apple account
  33)  7-May Bruce.Lucas at CMU-C Finder bug
  34)  7-May Tony Siegman         Query Re RS-232 Interface and Handshaking
  35)  7-May Richard Furuta       What is the University of California's Mac st
  36)  7-May Ronald A. Jarrell    Mac Hardware problem
  37)  7-May John Shore           Req. translation of Lisa error message
  38)  8-May Dale Carstensen C-3  Mactep for 7 bit, even parity
  39)  8-May Tim McNerney         This is not an Apple account
  40)  8-May Randy Frank          Interfacing other disk to a mac

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: 29 Apr 84 20:08 EDT
From: David Spector
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Sender: David H M Spector <SPECTOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA>
ReSent-date: Mon 30 Apr 84 10:59:19-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

________________________________________.
|ARPAnet:     SPECTOR@NYU-CMCL1          |
|USEnet :     ...floyd!cmcl2!acf4!spector|
________________________________________.

Does anyone have any info regarding Apple shipments to the Consortium Schools?

Is Apple yet making regular deliveries?

		Thanx,
		David Spector

-------

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: Mon 30 Apr 84 11:17:44-PDT
From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Upgrade of FINDER/WRITE/PAINT
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Mon 30 Apr 84 12:05:18-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

With regards to the upgrade of the FINDER, MACpaint and MACwrite, the
dealers should be handling the actual upgrade, and it will be free.
Apple will not get any money as a result of the upgrade, although the
dealers may make a small charge for the media.

Please don't ask me any questions on this, as this is all I could
find out at the moment from Apple.

-- Ed
-------

Message 3 -- ************************
Date:     Mon, 30 Apr 84 10:13 PST
From:     John Palevich <palevich%atari.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
To:       info-atari@su-score.arpa
cc:       info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa
Subject:  Alan Kay
ReSent-date: Tue 1 May 84 08:10:08-PDT

(the Management page of the business section of the Saturday, April 28, 1984
San Jose Mercury News included the following item, reprinted in its entirety.)

@b{Management changes}

Alan Kay, who recently resigned as a "fellow" at Atari Inc., will join Apple
Computer Inc. next week with the same title, his office said Friday.

Kay reportedly was recruited heavily by Apple chairman Steve Jobs but
apparently convinced Jobs to let him do most of his work out of his home in
Los Angeles.

An Apple spokesman refused to comment Thursday.

When Kay left Atari earlier this month, he said he wanted to "persue some
very basic work in artificial intelligence."  Kay is best known for
conceptualizing the "Dynabook," a small computer that would seem as much a
part of a person as his arm or leg.

Message 4 -- ************************
Date: 30 Apr 1984 1930-PDT
From: STERNLIGHT@USC-ECL.ARPA
Subject: Finder/system and Macworks bomb
To:   info-mac@SUMEX-AIM
ReSent-date: Tue 1 May 84 08:10:37-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The  combination of the new finder/system on the Macterminal demo disk
and the Macworks 3.12 sent to developers and marked 'release' seems to
bomb on the Lisa when you open scrapbook.  The bomb is a new one which
is unrecoverable without powering the Lisa down.  --david--
-------

Message 5 -- ************************
Date: Mon 30 Apr 84 20:42:45-PDT
From: ERIK@SRI-AI.ARPA
Subject: Japanese Macintosh
To: Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc: Erik@SRI-AI.ARPA
ReSent-date: Tue 1 May 84 08:11:05-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The Japanese Macintosh indeed poses a set of problems different from the
modifications required for European products.  We want to find the best
way to make Macintosh approachable, attractive and affordable to
Japanese customers.   Xerox J-Star, IBM 5550 and NEC PC-100 are some of
the systems we have evaluated in our quest for solutions and models.  The
phonetic input method is indeed becoming a standard way to tackle the
problem of Kanji.  Better solutions (such as Xerox's J-Star) do grammatical
pre-processing before conversion into Kanji, thus significantly simplifying
the task of the typist.  Meanwhile, Apple will put out a Kana Macintosh as a
stopgap solution until the full blown Japanese (Kana/Kanji) system is
ready.  The majority (if not all) of the Japanese MANAGERS do not type and
prefer to handwrite their notes: a keyboard is still associated with a typist
or secretary.  Simplifying the typing process will certainly help in making
computers more appealing to managers.  I hope this answers some of the
 questions raised by the Macworld article on International Macs.

                Joanna K. Hoffman
                International Marketing Manager
-------

Message 6 -- ************************
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 84 22:54:19 EDT
From: Bob Rees <rrees@bbncca>
Subject: 1 vs. 2 floppy drives
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Tue 1 May 84 08:12:49-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

When people point out the "flaws" in the design of the Macintosh, the one
most frequently mentioned is the absence of a second built-in floppy disk
drive.  This seems to be a recurring theme in both computer journal
articles and the `info-mac' mailing list.  For example, here's a "typical"
comment, quoted from the famous Macintosh review in the Feb. 84 issue of
BYTE Magazine:

        I also feel strongly that the basic Macintosh package
        should include two disk drives.  With a one-drive system,
        it will take at least eight disk swaps to back up a 3-1/2
        inch disk.  How many people (especially novices) will go to
        this trouble, and how many will suffer when they don't?  (I
        am not alone in feeling this way; the first thing two BYTE
        editors said when they first saw the Macintosh was, "Only
        one disk drive?  You've got to be kidding!"  After numerous
        disk swaps when trying to load MacPaint from one disk and a
        drawing from another, I am convinced that most users will
        eventually buy the second drive.)

I am a little surprised that no one (even for the sake of playing devil's
advocate) has expressed the opinion that the single-drive architecture is
"a good idea" or even "OK".

In order to judge the wisdom (or lack thereof) behind the design decision,
we need to consider the potential uses of the Macintosh.  I have attempted
to categorize the possible approaches according to disk configuration
options.  This list is not necessarily all-inclusive:

1) The "Spartan/Cheapskate" Approach:  one built-in floppy drive (period).
   Suitable for students, hackers, or anyone else who doesn't place a
   high premium on the value of his/her time.  The user does backups by
   multiple disk swaps (tedious but effective) or choses to not do
   backups at all.  [There *are* applications where losing data and/or
   having to regenerate it is a minor inconvenience rather than a
   disaster, and the cost of doing the backup has to be weighed against
   the cost of loss multiplied by the probability of loss.  Those of us
   used to storing large original documents (such as program sources or
   collected raw data) may forget that there are cases where the balance
   tips the other way.]

2) The "Expanded Memory" Approach:  still only one built-in floppy drive,
   but with 512K bytes of main memory.  Not an option yet, but we'll
   surely see it within a year.  Apple plans to offer a board upgrade
   when the denser RAM chips become more economically feasible.  Daring
   hackers could replace the chips themselves.  With a half-meg of memory
   available, copying a 400K floppy could be done with a single swap!
   One could claim that having a disk with less capacity than memory
   represented a serious mismatch, although many applications could make
   good use of this configuration.

3) The "Standard" Approach:  one built-in floppy, one external floppy.
   Only slighly less convenient than having both built in.  Yes, it's
   obvious that it's going to cost a bit more because of the extra box,
   cable, and power supply (or does the external drive get its power from
   the Mac?).  One could even argue (though I won't bother) that an
   external drive was *superior* to a second internal drive because
   the user is "less likely to get confused" about which disk is is which
   drive.

4) The "Professional" Approach:  one built-in floppy, one external hard
   disk.  The preferred configuration for many business applications.  I
   understand that compatible hard disks are already available, and more
   are on the way.  Certainly more cost-effective than floppy drives when
   judged on an on-line-bytes-per-buck basis, and the prices should
   continue to drop as these units become more popular.

5) The "Workstation" Approach:  one built-in floppy, one serial line to a
   local or remote host mainframe.  The Mac can be used as a (very)
   intelligent terminal, and can off-load many interactive tasks (such as
   document preparation and data entry/verification) from the host.  The
   built-in floppy provides local/personal file storage, while the host
   provides mass storage.

6) The "Network" Approach:  one built-in floppy, one serial line to a
   local area network.  Similar to the "workstation" approach, but the
   Mac is not tied to any particular host -- in fact, the network need
   not have any "host" computers at all other than the Macs themselves.
   However, to eliminate the need for a second disk on each Mac, the
   network should include at least one file-server host, which provides
   access to large and/or shared data bases and space for back-up
   buffering.

Notice that option 2) is the only approach that *needs* the cherished
second floppy drive.  In all the other options, the elimination of the
(unnecessary) second drive represents a savings to the consumer.  I'm not
saying that we're saving the *entire* cost of the second drive (I haven't
forgotten that Apple is trying to make a profit as well as a sucessful
product), but we're certainly saving some of it.  And while the
"Standard" approach is currently the most popular, it doesn't represent
such an overwhelming percentage of the potential applications that it
makes sense to include an expensive option in every base unit.  If the
argument seems weak now, wait a year -- I predict that the "Standard"
approach will diminish in (relative) popularity as some of the other
approaches become more economically feasible and their advantages become
better understood.

As for me, I ordered my Mac without an extra drive.  I'll start with the
"Spartan/Cheapskate" approach (after all, since there's no software yet,
anyone who buys a Mac *now* is in the hacker category anyway), see how
painful it is, and when the need arises, chose an option for expanding
(there will be more options to chose from then).  I'm happy that I didn't
have to start by buying into an approach that may not turn out to be best
for me in the long run.

I chose to buy a Mac, but I was not so blinded by love that I didn't see
its faults and limitations.  When I compared it to other personal
computers, I counted pros & cons.  The absence of a second floppy drive
was not something that ended up in my "con" column.  I think Apple got
this one right.

-- Bob Rees

P.S.:  The Macintosh *does* have two serious problems related to the
  single drive, but the problems are not with the hardware design -- the
  problems are with marketing and software.  The marketing problem is
  obvious: external drives are simply *unavailable*!  (My local Apple
  dealer has never even seen one.)  The software problem is even more
  annoying.  From what I've seen & heard, the software seems to have been
  designed for a 2-drive system, with the provision for disk swapping
  added as an afterthought.  Little attention was given to reducing the
  number of times the software had to switch from one disk to another (by
  using clever buffering schemes and anticipating what code & data should
  be kept in memory).  Given that Apple chose to design a 1-drive
  machine, it's really unforgivable that they didn't bother to optimize
  their software for the default configuration.

Message 7 -- ************************
Date: Tue 1 May 84 13:10:01-EDT
From: bill coderre <SE.BC%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: MacPaint stuff
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Tue 1 May 84 17:26:19-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The following is a compartmentalized flame. Feel free to ignore the
parts you don't like....

An Interesting (MacPaint) Hack:

If you are in Pencil, and you hold the command key, clicking the mouse
button toggles FatBits, and where the pencil on the normal screen is
centered in the FatBits screen.

Flame:

Too bad this doesn't seem to be in the manual. It's an excellent idea,
and points out a Great Concept in mousing (no claims of origin or
originality...): GET BOTH HANDS BUSY! Allowing the left hand to
option-modify the command increases the bandwidth of the keyboard and
speeds things up a lot.

Daydream:

My vision of the ideal workstation keyboard is one with 5 keys on the
left side of the keyboard to do single click, double click,
constrained click, etc, and a trackball on the right side. This allows
lap operation and shortens the hand travel distance. Trackballs can be
made to be much more precise, too. It might become possible to do
freehand drawing (or at least make it easier).

I might (in the far future) hack together a mackeyboard like that. If
any computer company wants to bring out a keyboard like that, by all
means go ahead with my blessing. I'd like it.

...................................................................bc
-------

Message 8 -- ************************
Date:  1 May 1984 1237-PDT
From: STERNLIGHT@USC-ECL.ARPA
Subject: Mac configuration
To:   info-mac@SUMEX-AIM
ReSent-date: Tue 1 May 84 17:26:21-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Since  I`m  getting  a  bit  tired  of  the  1  vs.  2 drives and 512k
discussions, let me offer  the  following  hypothesis:   the  MAC  was
originally designed as a 2-drive, 512k machine.  Then Apple discovered
that they couldn`t get enough drives from Sony and that 512k  was  too
expensive to make it to market before 1985.  Not being willing to wait
til then, they modified the design to  get  it  out  (it  was  already
late).   Perhaps  (the  clue  is  some  software that takes color) the
original design even had color.  If this is so, it makes some  of  the
handsprings  Apple apologists have been turning a bit silly.  (I write
this as a supporter of the Mac and an Apple registered developer--just
want some reasonableness to the discussion.)  Note that the hypothesis
is entirely my own; I don`t know anything official  from  Apple  about
these matters.  --david--
-------

Message 9 -- ************************
Date: Wed, 2 May 84 11:34:39 edt
From: mark@harvard (Mark Lentczner)
To: SE.BC%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA, info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: Re:  MacPaint stuff
ReSent-date: Wed 2 May 84 09:41:08-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

-=-
Yes, not very much is documented in that small
pamphlet for MacPaint.  On the other hand: 1)
that pamphlet does not claim to be a manual
for MacPaint (read the first two pages), & 2)
the feature you found IS documented, along
with several other fun things under the
Short Cut entry in the Goodies menu when
you are in MacPaint.

I wonder if, since there is also an Introduction
entry in the Goodies menu, Apple never
intended to give ANY printed documentation
on MacPaint...  As many of my friends have
proven on my mac- you can just start playing
and never read the printed doc.  Pretty
amazing concept!

-mark lentczner
 electronic music studio
 harvard university
	 cambridge, ma 02134

Message 10 -- ************************
Date: Wed 2 May 84 09:14:36-PDT
From: len <Lattanzi@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: MacWrite Bug report
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Wed 2 May 84 09:41:37-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Bug:	MacWrite hangs when trying to initialize a disk for saving current
	file.

Repeat-by: Use save as... then eject current disk and insert an
	uninitialized disk. Click Initialize in the next dialog box.
	And you'll stare at the message "Initializing Disk" forever.
	There's not even a whir of disk motion.

I tried an interrupt (left hand side "programmers button") but a serious system
error ensued. Luckily the file was already saved on another disk.
Caveat,
len

Arpa: Lattanzi@Sumex-Aim.Arpa
Phone: (415) 326-5209
USPS: Box 6032 Stanford Ca 94305

-------

Message 11 -- ************************
Date:  2-May-84 11:01 PDT
From: David Potter, Softmark/McDonnell Douglas  <DAP.TYM@OFFICE-2.ARPA>
Subject: Mice for the Ambidextrous
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Cc: MARKET.TYM@OFFICE-2.ARPA, DCE.TYM@OFFICE-2.ARPA
Cc: DEV.TYM@OFFICE-2.ARPA
Comment: An answer to Bill Coderre....
ReSent-date: Wed 2 May 84 12:23:27-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

If Bill Coderre wants something for his left hand to do while his right hand is
busy with the mouse (a most understandable wish), he might be interested in
taking a look at AUGMENT, the Tymshare product which evolved from Doug
Engelbart's NLS, which was developed at SRI.  That's where the mouse itself was
invented.  Its developers recognized the need for a control device usable by the
hand not busy with the mouse, and developed a five-key "keyset."  Looks sort of
like a little piano keyboard, sitting (usually) to the left of the keyboard,
with the mouse on the right.

We've been using the keyset, together with a three-button mouse, since the late
60's (Doug Engelbart -- Engelbart@Office-2.ARPA) could give you a more precise
date -- works beautifully, and does just exactly what Bill is asking for.  As a
matter of fact, I'm using one now -- mouse and keyset hooked to a PC/XT -- to
send this message.

It's nice to see people thinking along these lines.  They used to laugh when I
sat down at the mouse & keyset.... "What's THAT?" they said....

Regards -- David

Message 12 -- ************************
Date: 2 May 1984 19:21:04-EDT
From: Edward.Tecot at CMU-CS-H
ReSent-date: Wed 2 May 84 17:20:13-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

	The Option-Pencil hack, as well as many others, is mentioned in
the short-cuts section of Goodies.  You will notice that there are quite
a few useful features mentioned there.  I prefer having this information
there instead of in the manual, for one reason:  I don't want to read the
manual!  Has anyone actually seen a hard disk for the Mac?  I would like
to know about their reliability/ease of use/availability.

					_emt

Message 13 -- ************************
Date:     Wed, 2 May 84 15:14 PST
From:     John Palevich <palevich%atari.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
To:       info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa
Subject:  My (educated) opinion on the Mac's design
ReSent-date: Thu 3 May 84 09:12:04-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The following is the personal opinion of John Howard Palevich, and is
not ment, in any way, to reflect the opinion or knowlege of either Apple
Computer Inc or Atari Inc.  It is based entirely upon publicly available
information.

Hi -- I worked on a high-end personal computer design team for a couple of
months once, and I think you're all going off the deep end with your Mac
speculations.  Please remember that Apple is just an ordinary company
composed of fallible, short-sighted engineers.  The Mac design is great,
but it's not part of some grand all-encompassing plan.  In particular:

	The Mac will not have color.  Ever.  Give it up, guys. (More on this
later...)

A Mac designer gave an excellent talk at Stanford a while back, during which
he gave a bit of the history of the Macintosh:

Remember that the Mac project has been around for a very long time.  The
original Mac had:

 * a 256 x 256 bit-mapped display
 * 64K of RAM
 * a 8-bit (6809?) processor
 * integrated application software in ROM
 * transportability (original design looked like an Osbourne)
 * a "twiggy" (Lisa-1 style) disk drive

The Mac was (obviously) ment to be a "model-T" machine, with no options.

Anyway, they realized that the ability to display 80-column text was an
absolute necessity, so they went to a 320 x 256 display.  The 4 x 6 characters
that this display produced proved so ugly that they gave up and went to the
current 512 x 342 display, which gives an adequate 6 x 8 character size.

A 512 h by 342 v by 1 bit-per-pixel by 60 hz display requires 22K of RAM and
a video memory bandwidth of abou 2Mb per second.  If you want your processor
to have any access to video memory at all, you have to use a 16 bit data bus.
(All other things being equal, a 16-bit bus transfers data twice as quicly
as an 8-bit bus.)

Sixteen 64K-by-1 RAM chips give you 128K of RAM, and by this time the 68000
had become cheap, and was being used on the Lisa project, so they adopted it.

Inspection of the "Inside Macintosh" manual, "User Interface Guidelines", page
67, dated 10/11/82, reveals a Macintosh which is pretty similar to the one we
know today.  The only difference is that the disk drive's capacity is rated
as 840K.

WHY WE HAVE ONLY 400K ON OUR DISKS

The Mac was designed to use the fabled "Twiggy" drives. These drives, designed
for the Lisa computer, use 5 and 1/4 inch diskettes, store 840K by using both
sides of the diskette surface, and have a reputation for being unreliable.

Halfway through the Mac project, they decided to go with the fancy new Sony
3 and 1/2 inch drives for a number of reasons which can only be guessed at.
I suspect that influencing factors included:
 * Sony diskettes could store the same ammount of data as the Twiggy drives
 * Sony hardware is superb
 * Sony hardware is cheap
 * The diskette's physical format was becomming a standard

This design change was made late in the game -- Apple had already made the
molds for the Mac cases with the larger cut-outs for the Twiggy drives.  If
you look at the photos on pages 128 and 130 of the "Premier" issue of Macworld,
you'll see Macintoshs with the larger cut-outs.

The only problem was that Sony couldn't make double sided drives in quantity,
so we're stuck with single sided, 400K drives for a year or two.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, NO COLOR?

Just that.  Quickdraw has a tiny little hook in it for drawing on multiple
bit-planes, and this might be of some use in preparing bit-maps for displaying
multiple colors on a color printer.  But that's it.  The Mac is steeped in
software concepts developed solely for high resolution black-and-white
displays.  Nobody has shown that color is useful for Mac-type applications,
and high resolution color monitors are extremely expensive. ($600 for RGBI,
MUCH more if you want grey scale.)

Color is superb for games and for pictures, but it requires a vast ammount of
RAM, computational power, custom display chips, and expensive monitors.  In
ten years, everyone'll have a color display, but right now, for a software-
intensive, cheap, personal computer, black & white is the way to go.

RUMORS, RUMORS, RUMORS

Careful inspection of the "Inside Macintosh" documents yields some titilating
odds & ends.  On page 30 of the "User Interface Guidelines", under Desk
Accessories, a list of standard desk accessories are given, including:
"Telegram Form and In-Box (AppleGram)".  I think that this is the tip of the
AppleNet iceberg.

In the "Application" section, a printout of some sample application programs
are given.  These printouts are probably from an Apple laser printer.  One
tell-tale mark of a networked laser printer is the print-job sepereator, a
visual mark printed on the paper to indicate the start of a new print-job.
The grey bar running down the right hand side of the first page of each of
the listings serves this purpose.  (Goodness, it also looks like QuickDraw
was used to scan-convert for the laser printer page.  My, but a general-
purpose set of bit-map routines is useful!)

Although there is absolutely no economic reason for Apple to make a LCD display
for the Mac, it's not much harder than the one they're trying to make for the
Apple IIc.

The Apple IIc has two serial ports and a mouse port, just like the Mac.  At
least the company is being consistent in it's belief that the user really
doesn't need expansion slots.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

1) The Mac's a pretty nifty machine.

2) Apple will make a great deal of money.

3) The guy on the wall-screen in the Mac commercial is more likely to be Mr.
Jobs than any of his competitors.  After all, the Mac screen is black & white,
while the IBM PC is color. . . .

Message 14 -- ************************
Date:     Wed, 2 May 84 15:18 PST
From:     John Palevich <palevich%atari.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
To:       info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa
Subject:  How to transfer a Mac file?
ReSent-date: Thu 3 May 84 09:12:08-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Is there a standard format for transmiting the whole of a Macintosh file,
both the data and the resource parts?  Is the only format sort of buried
inside MacTerm?  I'd sure like to be able to transfer files and programes
over the phones to other computers. . . .

On a related note, anybody hear of a Macintosh user's group getting started?

Message 15 -- ************************
Date: 3 May 1984 03:54-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE @ MIT-MC>
Subject: deadlines
To: INFO-MAC @ MIT-MC
ReSent-date: Thu 3 May 84 09:12:14-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

	I have a column deadline first part of next week.  Would
appreciate information/comments on:

1. I have sources say that the reson you cannot get your Macdisk
fixed if it dies (and many do) is that  the replacement drives
are being kludged by hackers to make second drives for their
systems, and are being bought out the back doors of stores.  May
not be true, but I can certainly get goot source materials.

2.  Is there ANY available applications software for Macintosh
as of this date?  (Not what will be out next week...)

3.  A correspondent tells of buying a Mac which died within an
hour.  The store quoted a four week time to fix; Apple policy
forbids supplying him with one from pipeline and swapping live
for dead unit; calls to Apple produced sympathy from those
taking call, but return call saying that was indeed policy.
(Reader got refund and bought Kaypro.)  Is this indeed Apple
policy, and if so, why?

	I have a Mac.  It's much fun.  I agree that many people
who would never play with computers find it fascinating.
Without software, languages, or assembler, it m ay be a bit
costly for some of us.

Message 16 -- ************************
Date: 3 May 1984 08:41:15-EDT
From: David.Anderson at CMU-CS-G
Subject: What's in the manual?
ReSent-date: Thu 3 May 84 09:12:16-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

However, if you did read the manual you might find this under the entry
for the command key under "Other Special Keys" on page 32:

	Enter and leave FatBits by clicking in the drawing window
	with the pencil.

On the matter of locking files, and what sort of protection to expect, the
Macintosh Owner's Manual states on page 105 that

	The Locked check box allows you to lock a document or application.
	When the Locked box is checked, that document or application can't
	be disposed of or replaced (either by saving or copying from
	another disk).  It can be moved, its comment box can be edited, and
	it can be duplicated.

So the behavior mentioned previously on this list should be treated as a BUG.

Message 17 -- ************************
Date: Thu 3 May 84 10:12:41-EDT
From: INTMET@BBNA.ARPA
Subject: MacForth Users Group.
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Thu 3 May 84 09:12:23-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

If those people that have aquired MacForth send me their net mail
address I will gather a list of MacForth users and send it to everybody
on said list, creating a kind of broadcast n way mailing list.  Sad to
say I don't have the resources to manage a centralized list.  I recieved some
bug fixes from Creative solutions today.    ben hyde
-------

Message 18 -- ************************
Date: 3 May 84 18:34 EDT
From: Richard Reich <REICH@NYU-ACF1.ARPA>
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: Toolbox equates for peons
ReSent-date: Thu 3 May 84 15:37:38-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Will some certified developer please place the text of the Toolbox and
QD equates files on a host allowing Anonymous FTP's??
I expect I am not the only peon, rejected for CD status by Apple, who
believes that they can perhaps actually write a program for the Mac
despite Apple's opinion.  If the material I'm requesting is protected
by copyright or non-disclosure please let me know (and we can work out
an accident).
Thanks.
-r

-------

Message 19 -- ************************
Date: Thu 3 May 84 18:52:41-PDT
From: ERIK@SRI-AI.ARPA
Subject: Accurate Info for your column
To: Pourne@MIT-MC.ARPA
cc: Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 4 May 84 09:15:51-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Dear Jerry,

Here's some accurate information for next week's column.

1.  The external 3 1/2 " drive for Macintosh will be available for sale at all
dealers next week.  The Sony drives are extremely reliable, and failure
rates are very low.

2.  Currently there are 9 applications out for Macintosh:
  MacWrite, MacPaint from Apple;
  MultiPlan and Basic from Microsoft;
  MAGICPhone by Artsci;
  ClickArt by T/Maker Graphics;
  MacForth by Creative Solutions;
  Transylvania by Penguin Software;
  and MegaMerge by MegaHaus.

In May developers expect to ship ten applications (including Microsoft
Chart), and in June there should be at least 35 additional applications (eg.
Macintosh Pascal).

3. All Apple products are under 90 day warranty.  All Dealers are required
to stock spare parts for our computers.  The Macintosh reliability rate has
been extremely high.  I'm surprised to hear that this particular person has
had trouble with servicing his Macintosh.  If he would call Apple (Donna
Dubinsky, Manager of Distribution) in Cupertino I'm sure she would be
more than happy to help solve the problem.

Hope you continue to enjoy your Macintosh.

Barbara Koalkin
Macintosh Product Marketing Manager
-------

Message 20 -- ************************
Date: Fri 4 May 84 07:23:33-PDT
From: DBECK@SRI-KL.ARPA
Subject: support
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 4 May 84 09:16:22-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Those waiting for third party support for the Mac, and those contemplatin{_g
purchase, should consider the letter sent by Macworld to "Charter Subscribers".
It says in part, "our estimate is that the majority of products for the
Macintosh will not be available until later in the year."  In other words
don't hold your breath (support) and take your time (purchase). Interpolation
is my own.
Doug Beck  dbeck@sri-kl
-------

Message 21 -- ************************
Date: 3 May 84 16:41:36 EDT
From: Ron <FISCHER@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: MacAssembler requires * 2 * Macs!?
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 4 May 84 09:18:17-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

	Here at Rutgers we're interested in using Macs to teach intro
computing courses.  The current versions of these courses use Pascal and
Macro-11 assembler.  Now the problem...

	We talked to an Apple person and they informed us that
MacAssembler requries 2 Macintoshes, one having the development
environment, the other, a small debugging monitor in its kernel.  The
Macs are connected by their printer ports.

	A note in the conversation that seemed even more ominous was
the representative saying that Apple does not plan to produce
standalone development environments for the Macintosh.  But what about
the "C" that has been announced for end of summer?  Perhaps it isn't
for real?

	BTW, AppleNet has been cancelled whilst IBM finalizes its own
networking plans.  Recall that Apple wishes to be compatible with this
standard.

(ron)
-------

Message 22 -- ************************
From: Christopher A Kent <cak@Purdue.ARPA>
Date:  4 May 1984 1152-EST (Friday)
To: Ron <FISCHER@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: Re: MacAssembler requires * 2 * Macs!?
ReSent-date: Fri 4 May 84 13:08:23-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I thought the C environment was going to come from Microsoft, not
Apple, so of course "they" aren't going to produce a standalong
development environment for the Mac. Is Microsoft listening? Would
someone from there care to comment?

chris
----------

Message 23 -- ************************
Date: Fri 4 May 84 14:03:27-PDT
From: Chad Leland Mitchell <M.CHAD@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
Subject: standalone
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Fri 4 May 84 14:40:22-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

It depends what you call stand alone.  Apple has told me that they will have
a compiled Pascal by the end of the year.  The problem with both that and the
assembler is that to run the fancy debugger you need two Macs.  (You can
certainly develop, compile, and test with just one.)  Since the Mac has no
hardware memory management, a program under test could easily write into a
debugger's data space and in any case it would have to somehow share the
screen and limited RAM with the debugger.  The interpreted Pascal and Basic
avoid this problem by limiting what can be done, but for the assembler and
compiled Pascal you would certainly want control of the full screen, menus,
etc.  The fancy debugger thus winds up on a second machine and built into the
ROM is some kind of manager which allows the program being debugged to have the
machine only sacrificing a tiny amount of RAM for some debugger state.  I am
sure that there will be languages with "stand alone" debuggers, but they will
not be as nice as what can be done with two machines.  Maybe when we have 512
you could have a debugger which would have its own copy of the entire screen
and you could toggle between the application screen and the development screen.

For Jerry:
	I know several students who feel that the Mac already has the programs
they need.  With just MacWrite and MacPaint they consider it the ideal homework
machine.  What other serious things could they need?  They suggest maybe a
spread sheet program (MultiPlan is out and the new version seems to work) and
a few games (a few are already announced).  They seem to feel that they can do
everything on a Mac right now that they would be doing on any other machine
and do it better.  They would like to see sub/super scripts and longer files
in MacWrite but a new release of it has been announced.  They claim that they
would rather segment papers for the time being on the Mac than deal with any
of the ^X^Y^S.C.L style word processors they have used before, but they they
are not hackers.  They are of course hoping for even better software and sooner
or later they will get it, but they are already satisfied and find the Mac a
useful and important tool.

About Color:
	There are two DIFFERENT color mechanisms according to my copy of Inside
Macintosh.  One is the one mentioned in a previous message which tells which
of 32 bit planes in which to draw and is called by printing software for a
color printer or other color imaging software.
	The other color mechanism is accessed by routines that set the
foreground and background color of the pen.  Thus you CAN set it to red and
draw a box and then to blue and draw a circle or some text.  It is very clear
that this second mechanism is for the screen so I think that we may very well
see color eventually.  They even have predefined constants for colors red,
green, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow and of course black and white and carefully
specify that if you write to the screen in any color other than white it
uses black instead for present.

				Chad
-------

Message 24 -- ************************
Date:  4 May 1984 18:17:57 EDT (Friday)
From: Dick Kalagher <kalagher@mitre>
To: Ron <FISCHER@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Cc: info-mac at sumex-aim, erik at sri-ai, kalagher@mitre
ReSent-date: Fri 4 May 84 15:46:16-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I remember reading someplace that one of the major reasons Texas Instruments
failed with the 99/4 was that they "correctly concluded that the hobbiests
and hackers were a small part of their customer base, but incorrectly
concluded that therefore they were unimportant"

Perhaps Apple can survive with software from the big houses.  But don't
forget, Apple, that the hackers (I use this term in the positive sense)
are the ones giving advice to others on what computer to buy.  They also
run users groups, write books and magazines articles, and develop
much public domain software for free.  Don't forget that it was software
availability that made the Apple II so popular-- and it wasn't 1-2-3
and Wordstar.

So what am I leading up to?  Well, I love my Mac and I can't wait to program
it.  First I find out that not only is MS-BASIC a dog, but I can only
use 10-15 percent of the memory.  Than I hear that PASCAL is really only
meant for learning and is definately not for software development.  FORTH
might be OK once the bugs are out, but you need a licence to distribute
software.  So I rest my hopes on the assembler.  But now I hear it
will take TWO MACS!!

Come on Apple.  You designed a great machine.  Don't blow it by playing
games with your best free advertizing media.  I'm sure if you try
you can develop an assembler (or PASCAL compiler) that can run on one
MAC.

Dick Kalagher

Message 25 -- ************************
Date:     Fri,  4-MAY-1984 04:14 EDT
From: Ronald A. Jarrell <TSDTEST%VPIVAX3.BITNET@Berkeley>
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.ARPA
Subject:  fixing a trashed disk
ReSent-date: Fri 4 May 84 20:49:05-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I had a problem with a destroyed disk too.  At 1am one morning I was
playing with MacPaint, and decided to center the simple screen drawing
I had made on the page.  I moved it with the show page option.  Of course,
the mac then had to create a disk copy so it could page section in and out now.
Well, there wasn't enough room on  my paint disk to do that, which it
promptly warned me of with the "Running out of room... OK" box.  Sure, I said
ok, then saved.  Disk overflowed.  No sweat.  Start the cycle over again..
"Running out of room...OK"  "Yes, save on *another* disk.."  (it saved great).
MacPaint then quietly stopped.  I wanted to print it, so I checked my file
size.  Yep, there was enough room to put the painting back on the macpaint
disk and print it.  A few K left over too.  I used the finder to copy it.
I then got into Macpaint.  First thing it did was tell me the disk was "Running
out of room... OK"...  Then promptly destroyed my disk with whatever it did
upon terminating.  Got ID 13's when booting, and 2's when reading after booting
of another disk.  Luckily after the 4 attempt I remembered Bruce's advice
about using Option-Command.  (Course, I didn't remember which keys they were,
just had a hunch from the way the mac philosphy seemed to be going..)
I tried it, and got EVERYTHING back, minus the folders.. No Biggie, folders
are easy to make, especially since the Empty folder was there.  I also
lost my Info boxes, which was slightly less nice, but recoverable with a little
searching of files.  The only bad point about this (besides the fact it
shouldn't had happened) is that this is NOT DOCUMENTED!  If I wasn't
reading this list, I would have basically lost a disk until I could find
a magnet to unformat it.  It would have been nice to find this note on the
same sheet as the improved copying information was found!  The systems
user friendly.. the documentation isn't..

        -Ron

Message 26 -- ************************
Date:     Fri,  4-MAY-1984 04:08 EDT
From: Ronald A. Jarrell <TSDTEST%VPIVAX3.BITNET@Berkeley>
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.ARPA
Subject:  MacWrite "Feature"
ReSent-date: Fri 4 May 84 20:49:08-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Interesting little thing popped up while I was using MacWrite.  I had a 5+
page document I had written to experiment with MacWrite.  I added a header
and a footer to the document, and printed it out.  I went through each of
the modes to check the differences.  Draft mode is nice and fast, except
for one minor problem.. With the header option on, the Mac writes them as
seperate files.  This is natural since it's 3 different windows and not
just a "snapshot" of the file as in other modes.  The Mac will meriily whip
off a page, print the footer (in this case a page number and string of text)
do a "formsuck", print any header text at the top of the page it just printed,
line feed, think a moment, go back and print things like date time, formfeed,
and start the cycle again for the next page...  I think a little optimization
is in order.  I tried rearranging the windows to put header on top, but the Mac
has it's own internal order it is concerned with.  Amazing how much time 5
formsucks and 5 formfeeds add to the print time..

I was impressed with the Imagewriters ability to actually *do* a formsuck.
Most single tractor printers can't easily.  According to the manual there is
a wealth of things the beastie can do.  It also seems too have prodigious
print buffer.

        -Ron

Message 27 -- ************************
Date: Friday, 4 May 1984 23:52:11 EDT
From: Peter.Monta@cmu-cs-g.arpa
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa
Subject: Quickdraw bug?
ReSent-date: Fri 4 May 84 21:18:35-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

There seems to be some sort of asymmetry in the ellipse drawer.  From within
MacPaint, set the black pattern and toggle into FatBits mode.  Draw 3x5
pixel and 5x3 pixel filled ellipses.  One will be a rectangle and the other
will have corners chopped.  The effect is most noticeable when drawing long
narrow (3 pixels) horizontal ellipses.

Pete (monta@cmu-cs-g)

Message 28 -- ************************
Date: 5 May 1984 18:35:21-EDT
From: Walter.Smith at CMU-CS-SPICE
Subject: Re: user's groups
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 16:58:23-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

CMU now has a Mac user's group.  Here's a post made on our local Macintosh
bboard:

If any of you out there need support for your Macs, the CMU Macintosh
Users Group can help.  We are an established group (well, three months at
least) and will be gettting all sorts of goodies (software, mainly) starting
next semester.  Our next meeting is next semester.  Write for details.

                                             Scott MacPherson
                                              (sm1p@cmu-cc-td)

Anybody else have a user's group?  Maybe we can exchange newsletters or
something...

 - Walter Smith (wrs@cmu-cs-spice.arpa)

Message 29 -- ************************
Date: Sat, 5 May 1984  21:30 EDT
From: JSMCCLEES@BBNG.ARPA
To:   info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc:   klotz@BBNG.ARPA, jsmcclees@BBNG.ARPA
Subject: macpaint font bug, mac user group
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 16:58:25-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

MacPaint has trouble handling text running off the right side of the
screen.  For instance, select 18 pt. Athens underline & outline; now hold
down shift-option-' (upper left key).  Those adorable pawprints lead to a
ferocious system error (ID=28).

The Boston Computer Society has a new Mac user group. It meets on the
second Wednesday of each month. Upcoming mtg. May 9 at Mass. College of
Art, Tower Auditorium, 721 Huntington Ave., Boston (2 blocks past MFA).
Time: 7:30 pm.

Mark Eckenwiler (jsmcclees@bbng)

Message 30 -- ************************
Date: 5 May 1984 01:20-EDT
From: Tim McNerney <TIM @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  Teaching assembly language programming, Mac style
To: FISCHER @ RUTGERS
cc: TIM @ MIT-MC, info-mac @ SUMEX-AIM
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 16:58:21-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

While the two Mac arrangement will be indispensible to DEVELOPERS
who want full control of the screen for their software products, for
TEACHING purposes, the MacAssembler is probably not the right thing.
When programming in assembly language it is so easy to screw oneself
that for students first learning about how machines work inside, a
constrained environment like MacPascal is much preferable.

It looks like there is a need for a EDUCATIONAL PRODUCT here folks!
How about a 68000 assembler and a very "careful" stepper/debugger
that provides extensive error checking and displays the state of
the registers and relevant segments of memory while the program is
running?  How about providing a "dial" that you can turn to slow
your program down to a comfortable crawl if things are happening
too quickly?

Remember the days when computers had blinking lights, and you could
tell what your program was doing just by gazing at the dancing patterns,
or by sticking an FM radio next to the processor and listening to the
buzzing and humming?  Well, times haven't changed that much, we just
have "bitmapped displays" instead of "front panels" and "sound
generator chips" instead of transistor radios, that's all...

	Tim McNerney
	<TIM at MIT-MC.ARPA>

Message 31 -- ************************
Date: 6 May 1984 15:03:43-EDT
From: Bruce.Lucas at CMU-CS-IUS
Subject: bugs
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 16:58:27-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

The Quickdraw bug in ellipses you mentioned isn't the only one: long skinny
ellipses have points missing.  Also, the 45-degree portions of circles are
like

     x x                                x
       x x          rather than           x
         x x                                x

which some might consider a bug, others a feature.

Is there any way to print the Notepad?  I haven't found one (short of
putting it in a MacWrite document...)  Sure would be nice, e.g. so I don't
have to lug my Mac with me to the grocery store.  Should use draft mode.

Also, selection extension (with shift-click) works differently in MacWrite
and Notepad; in particular shift-clicks before the beginning of the original
selection point behave differently.  Consider a line   a....b....c.  Click at
b, shift-click c, selection is from b to c.  Now shift-click a; in MacWrite,
selection is from a to b; in Notepad from a to c.  Tsk-tsk.

Message 32 -- ************************
Date: Sun 6 May 84 15:44:50-PDT
From: ERIK@SRI-AI.ARPA
Subject: This is not an Apple account
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc: Erik@SRI-AI.ARPA
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 16:58:32-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Although I have on occasion answered questions about Mac and Apple, this
is NOT an Apple mailbox.  I'll take bug reports but can't answer any more
questions.  Mail of personal interest is always welcome, however.

Thanks
Bruce
(Erik@SRI-AI)
-------

Message 33 -- ************************
Date: 7 May 1984 13:29:59-EDT
From: Bruce.Lucas at CMU-CS-IUS
Subject: Finder bug
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 16:58:34-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

After the Finder repairs your disk, it is confused about where the icons go
in the disk window.  In particular, if you select "clean up" the icons get
bumped up to the very top of the window, instead of leaving a little border.
Rebooting takes care of the problem.

This occurred under the following circumstances: after working with the Mac
for a while I began to notice that the Finder was taking a LONG time to
start up after an application quit (it seemed to be going back and forth
between two tracks several times), and that MacWrite documents (both
existing and newly created ones) were being shown with a plain document icon
(not the document with lines of text).  Then after doing some folder
rearranging, the Finder said there wasn't enough room on the disk to store
the changes (even though the disk window said 32k).  I rebooted (I think),
and the Finder repaired the disk, which cured everything--except the icons
were put in the wrong place by "clean up", and rebooting again solved that.

Message 34 -- ************************
Date: Sun 6 May 84 22:37:46-PDT
From: Tony Siegman  <SIEGMAN@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
Subject: Query Re RS-232 Interface and Handshaking
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 16:58:38-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

     I want to drive a Hewlett-Packard 7470A Graphics Plotter that has
an RS-232 interface from the Mac running either Microsoft Basic or
MacBasic, and would appreciate information on what handshaking support
is available from the RS-232 port on the Mac when using either of these
programs.

     The hp 7470A thinks it's a terminal, and I appreciate that a null
modem cable which interchanges pins 2 and 3 between Mac and the plotter
will probably be required.  However, the plotter can then be set to
do either hardwire handshaking via pin 20 (DTR), if the computer it's
talking to monitors that signal; or Xon-Xoff handshaking.

     After a certain amount of grief in attempting to interface this
plotter to a TRS-80 Model 100, I found that the Model 100 does not
monitor the hardwire handshake when running Basic (though you can PEEK
at that pin and monitor it yourself, if you want to); but the Xon-Xoff
protocol does work automatically, if you OPEN the comm line right.

     Can anyone tell me what I'll encounter with the Mac?

-------

Message 35 -- ************************
Date: Mon 7 May 84 11:53:03-PDT
From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
Subject: What is the University of California's Mac status?
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
cc: Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 16:58:40-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I've heard reports that the University of California was negotiating
as a whole with Apple either for membership in the Apple Consortium or
for some sort of discount on purchases of MacIntoshes.  When I first
heard this report, a month or two ago, the agreement was supposed to
be "very close."  However, I've not heard anything since then.

If someone knows about the status of any U.C./Apple agreements, I'd
appreciate it if they could contact me with the current information.

Thanks very much.

					--Rick
-------

Message 36 -- ************************
Date:     Mon,  7-MAY-1984 16:21 EDT
From: Ronald A. Jarrell <TSDTEST%VPIVAX3.BITNET@Berkeley>
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.ARPA
Subject:  Mac Hardware problem
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 16:58:44-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

A few Mac's seem to have been shipped witha  logic problem.. Mine and
at least one other from my dealer have to get a new board because the clock
is running at half speed.  2 real seconds to a Mac second.

        -Ron

Message 37 -- ************************
From: John Shore <shore@NRL-CSS>
Date: Mon, 7 May 84 18:02:46 EDT
To: info-mac at sumex-aim
Subject: Req. translation of Lisa error message
Cc: shore at NRL-CSS
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 16:58:46-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I'm running 2.0 on a Lisa 2/5 and have suddenly started getting
a rash of "...technical difficulties...system will restart" messages
when opening up a document or starting a backup operation.  In every
case the message number is 1033/21/n, where n=2759360 when I'm opening
a LisaTerminal, LisaWrite, or LisaCalc document.  For other operations,
n is some other large number (looks like a disk address?).   The problem
is intermittent.

I called the Apple "support" hot line, only to be told that the error
usually occurs when pasting from Term to Write -- I've encountered that
bug, and it's not the cause of my current problem.  The person at Apple
claimed that the value for n probably came from a line number and that
the numbers were *undocumented* -- no-one there could tell me what they
meant.  Ridiculous.

Can anyone out there tell me what the numbers mean?  I'm reluctant to
just reinstall the system and repair the disk since the last two times I've
done the repair the system trashed some crucial directory files and cost
me several days work (Apple tells me that this problem is also known to
occur but the they don't understand it yet!).

js

Message 38 -- ************************
Date: 5 May 1984 23:36:26-MDT
From: Dale Carstensen C-3 <dlc@lanl>
To: info-mac@lanl
Subject: Mactep for 7 bit, even parity
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 21:32:26-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

About 10 years ago, the data communications people at the Los Alamos
(then Scientific, now National) Laboratory decided to use parity on
asynchronous lines, and even parity at that.  It may have had to do
with the default configuration of Texas Instruments "silent 700"
terminals, or someone may have thought that bad lines could be
determined by noticing high error rates (they never had time to
seriously monitor lines no one was complaining about, because were
complaining about so many other lines).  But 7 bit, even parity, seems
to be here to stay .. so ..Mactep does nothing about character length
or parity in the "SCC," the Zilog or AMD 8530 chip in the Macintosh,
and Mactep as sent over "info-mac" will not work on the Integrated
Computer Network at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.

I made some changes to Mactep so that it will work, and ran into
enough problems that I think sharing the changes will save others
a few hours, in the unlikely event their computer cares about parity.

The main problem I had was guessing the bits to set in the 8530 write
registers 3, 4, and 5.  Particularly the D5 and D4 bits of WR4.  One
would think that the sync character length would make no difference
when one is in asynchronous mode, but the changes didn't work until
I set both of these bits, which is the code the table calls "external
sync mode."

It would have been so much easier if one could read these control
registers, but I suppose it is already difficult to put the functions the
8530 has on a single chip.

I also noticed that Motorola data sheets for the 68000 include assembler
mnemonics for the instructions, but not the bit patterns in the
instructions!  I guess these sheets are still preliminary, or the
Motorola technical writers could never figure out how to document the
bit patterns.  The 68120 has a very nice description, though.

The mods I made follow -- one note is that I think odd parity, 7 bit
characters can be selected by making the 77 in 9154 a 75.

9151 INPUT "7 bit even (Y/N)", BSC$
9152 IF BSC$<>"Y" AND BSC$<>"y" THEN GOTO 9157
9153 R=3:X=&H41:WXCCB!=VARPTR(ML(0)):CALL WSCCB!(R,X)
9154 R=4:X=&H77:WSCCB!=VARPTR(ML(0)):CALL WSCCB!(R,X)
9155 R=5:X=&HAA:WSCCB!=VARPTR(ML(0)):CALL WSCCB!(R,X)
9156 GOTO 9160
9157 R=3:X=&HC1:WSCCB!=VARPTR(ML(0)):CALL WSCCB!(R,X)
9158 R=4:X=&H74:WSCCB!=VARPTR(ML(0)):CALL WSCCB!(R,X)
9159 R=5:X=&HEA:WSCCB!=VARPTR(ML(0)):CALL WSCCB!(R,X)

		Dale Carstensen  (dlc@lanl-a, lanl-a!dlc, or denelcor!dcarst)

Message 39 -- ************************
Date: 7 May 1984 23:38-EDT
From: Tim McNerney <TIM @ MIT-MC>
To: ERIK @ SRI-AI
cc: info-mac @ SUMEX-AIM
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 21:32:28-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

Thank you for the time you have spent answering questions, taking bug
reports, and playing go-between for Apple, but since it not your job,
there should really be an "official" Apple mailbox and a person whose
job it is to monitor this list and pass on useful info when possible.
I noticed that you often forward mail from Apple people.  This service
has also been much appreciated, but shouldn't there be a way for them
to "speak for themselves"?

I am not proposing that Apple start giving away lots of free technical
advice, but this list has potential for providing a wonderful two-way
exchange medium between Apple and a lot of very bright MacHackers
("hacker" in the positive sense, of course).

	Tim McNerney
	<TIM at MIT-MC.ARPA>

Message 40 -- ************************
Date: Mon 7 May 84 20:30:05-MDT
From: Randy Frank <FRANK@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: Interfacing other disk to a mac
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
ReSent-date: Mon 7 May 84 21:32:24-PDT
ReSent-From: Ed Pattermann <PATTERMANN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
ReSent-To: info-mac: ;

I just attended a Mac developer's seminar put on here by Andy Hertzfeld of
Apple.  I (think?) that these are being put on for the various consortium
schools (has anyone else been to one?)

It was very worthwhile, as much for "fokelore" as for hard information; if
you're offered the chance to attend, I'd recommend it.

Anyway, one of the most interesting aspects was gaining an appreciation of the
entire driver/file system structure, and how the design makes interfacing other
disks or file servers easy.

Basically, as I understood it, both the generic disk driver and file system
driver, in addition to their normal (Apple supplied) routines have "exits"
built-in, at appropriate places, for other (non-Apple supplied) versions of the
routines for non-Apple disks.  It's designed in such a way that the disk can
either be "dumb" (analogous to the existing floppy) where the disk can only
return sectors, or "smart" in the sense that the disk is really a "file server"
which is passed file names and logical read/write requests in which case the
Mac doesn't do directory processing locally.  Apple's assumption for "big" hard
disks is that they will be of the "smart" variety.  For the Sony floppy, the
Mac caches the entire directory in memory, since the memory requirements are
nominal (they stated about 300 bytes).  However, for a large hard disk sitting
on one of the 422 ports, the assumption is that it is of the "smart" variety
which is passed logical requests so that the Mac doesn't need to process
locally the directory information.

What is interesting about this approach is that it would seem to make using
"big" host computers as file servers a relatively easy task, although
admittedly you'd be constrained by typical serial line rates of the host (e.g.,
19.2 Kbit/sec) - the problem is the typical hosts - vaxen, 20s, etc. - not the
Mac.  However, for bulk file storage this may not be as serious a problem.
What's fantastic about this approach is that above the level of the file system
such a server looks identically to a local disk; files on the host server
appear as icons, and the host appears as just another disk.

The seminar didn't go into any more details.  However, I intend to follow up
this information and see where it leads.  It was clear from the presentation
that Apple gave a great deal of thought about handling a wide variety of disks
and file servers cleanly and uniformly, and that someone interfacing a "brand
x" disk is definitely not at a disadvantage to Apple in terms of interfacing
cleanly and uniformly to the Mac os.
-------
-------