[net.micro.apple] Adventure type games

ee171bbr@sdccsu3.UUCP (06/14/84)

Well, I am going to assume that all new adventures for the apple, will
soon be available for the pc, and the rest...  Infocom is decent, but
it doesn't have graphics!  And so I would have to say they are not worth
the money.  They have a new adventure called Seastalker that is better
than the Zork series, but not much, basically the same old stuff.
     There are a couple of new graphic adventures out for the apple,
Expedition Amazon for one, Secret of Easter Island for another...Not
on the market yet...but soon.

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (06/15/84)

>	From: ee171bbr@sdccsu3.UUCP

>	Infocom is decent, but it doesn't have graphics!  And so I would
>	have to say they are not worth the money.

Who cares if it doesn't have graphics!!!  That's like saying you didn't
like a book because it didn't have pictures.  It just isn't possible
given an Apple sized disk to have both a good adventure game and good
graphics.  And who wants to wait 10 times as long for the computer to
draw a silly picture with people that look worse than saturday morning
cartoon characters anyway.  I'd much rather have an imagitive
description.  What hath TV wrought?
--
				-Doug Alan
				 mit-eddie!nessus

				"What does 'I' mean"?

binder@dosadi.DEC (The Stainless Steel Rat) (06/17/84)

> Infocom is decent, but it doesn't have graphics!  And so I would have
> to say that they are not worth the money.

That's just the point!!  Infocom's adventures DON'T have graphics.  You
have hit upon the essential difference between comic books, which have
all those pretty pictures, and serious literature, which doesn't.  The
magic of Infocom games is that they draw you in and make you IMAGINE a
scene rather than feeding it to you like so much pablum in a spoon.

LONG LIVE INFOCOM !!!

Cheers,
Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

UUCP:  { decvax, allegra, ucbvax }!decwrl!rhea!dosadi!binder
ARPA:  binder%dosadi.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

Posted Sunday 17th June 1984, 12:42 EDT by DOSDADI::BINDER