[net.micro.apple] Apple II+ hard disks - SUMMARY

dcall@dadla.UUCP (Dale Call) (09/11/84)

Well, here are the responses I got - Thank you very much!

Dale Call

From: ihnp4!ihuxn!mlr
Date: 6 Sep 84 07:36:02 CDT (Thu)
Subject: Re: Apple II+ hard disks???

Corvus Systems,  Inc. San Jose,  Ca (408) 559-7000 makes hard disks
for the Apple as well as other personal computers. The Corvus allows
the hard disk to be partitioned into Pascal,CP/M, and DOS volumes.
They also have hardware and software for backing up the hard disk to
video tape, and offer networking for multiple computers sharing a
hard disk. I have used their system for almost 5 years, and have
been pretty pleased with them.

			Mike Robins
			AT&T Bell Labs
			ihnp4!hou2g!mlr
From: ihnp4!ihima!krstan
Date: 6 Sep 84 11:03:39 CDT (Thu)

Dale,
I have recently gotten a Davong 15 Meg system. It can support CP/M,
Apple DOS and Pascal volumes. There is a good summry of hard disk
manufacturers in the Compupro reports. If you have any specific
questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

		Keith R. Stanley
		...ihnp4!ihima!krstan
		AT&T Bell Laboratories
		(312)-979-6014
From: hplabs!sdcrdcf!sdcsvax!allyn
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 84 10:18:21 pdt

Corvus Systems (San Jose) makes a hard disk that supports DOS 3.3 and
Pascal 1.1 (last I heard).  By now, it may also support CP/M and ProDos.

--
From the virtual mind of Allyn Fratkin           sdcsvax!allyn@Nosc
                         UCSD Pascal Project     {ucbvax, decvax, ihnp4}

"Generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance."
From: hplabs!ucbvax!dan@sri-tsc.arpa
Date:  6 Sep 1984 2049-PDT (Thursday)

I believe that Corvus is still making 10 and 20 Meg hard disks.  IN fact
they have this funky system called a "Constellation II" that allows you
to hook up a 20 Meg corvus to BOTH an Apple II and an IBM PC at the SAME TIME.
Pretty bizarre.  Unfortunatly I don't have their address, but they are
a local (Silicon Valley) company -- probably Mountain View CA.

Good Luck!

	-Dan Chernikoff
	dan@sri-tsc
From: decvax!seismo!umcp-cs!eneevax!ong
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 84 02:32:16 edt

Just look around in any magazine on apples and you will find that
there are many hard disks available for the II+/e. Do spend some time
looking at the Corvus systems, as they are by far the most popular.
From: hplabs!ucbvax!neves%wisc-ai.uwisc@wisc-crys.arpa
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 84 00:51:25 cdt

I have a friend who has an hard disk bought from some small
company in Alabama.  He runs Pascal on it.  It is 5 meg +
5 meg removable cartridge.  I believe I've seen its ads in
the late Softalk magazine.
From: hplabs!ucbvax!mgrant@mit-mc.arpa
Date: 10 September 1984 00:22-EDT
Subject:  Apple II+ hard disks???

I built a hard disk for my apple.  It cost me about $1100.  I just bought
the parts and the software, and slaped it together and it worked.  If you
would like more specific plans, I will write in more detail.  I may even
send it to info-apple; what do you think?
-Mike Grant