[net.micro.apple] Macintosh -- The Computer for the Rich of Us

Jerry.Hewett%cod@nosc.ARPA,San.Diego.CA%cod@nosc.ARPA (09/29/84)

Msg #175 Sun Sep 30 10:26 1984 [33]
Subj: Re: MacYap via uucp
To: Morgan Davis
From: Jerry Hewett
My two cents.

I agree with the first dude. Apple screwed us.

If they would have left the 128K price at $2495 for at least another six
months or so, and charged $3495 for the 512K Mac, I wouldn't have felt reamed.
Instead, they punish the people who had faith in the Mac by cutting them off
at the knees just over six months later.  A slap in the face, no matter how
you look at it.

It would have been a different story if I had purchased the Mac back in Feb.
with three or four *good* stand-alone language development systems, a good
word processor, a good spreadsheet, a good etc., etc., etc., and had six
months to develop software or at least be able to effectively use the machine.

Instead I have had a cute paperweight on my desk for the past six months that
still doesn't have a decent development system for it (you gotta buy that
piece of shit Lisa for $5000+) or any other decent business packages that can
be used to defray the $2500 layout.  I - and many other Mac owners - have
been royally shafted by Mr. Jobs, and I'm sure as hell not happy about it.

In all probability my Mac will remain a useless paperweight.  I'm sure as hell
not going to dump $1000 for the 512K upgrade ("but you get free software!".
Screw the free software.  Give me a discount on the upgrade, instead), and,
now that the 512K machine is here, there sure as hell ain't gonna be any
decent software running on the 128K Mac.

I feel like a fool for wasting $3300+ for this thing.  The money would have
been better spent on a hard drive and other attachments.

Or better utilized by putting into a T-bill or something and waiting for
a year or two until the 512K machine became reasonably priced, with some
decent software available.

adrian@eagle.UUCP (A.Freed) (10/05/84)

I am fed up with reading this on the net:
	"I feel like a fool for spending xxx on yyy because it does not do zzz."
Would these people please just admit to themselves that they did a foolish thing
buying yyy, sell it for 50% xxx and figure out what they really want yyy to do.
After reading lots of reviews and playing with a Mac it is not hard to figure
out what it can do.
If you local dealer wont let you play with one, find another dealer.
For people interested in more exciting discussions of the Mac, I recommend fa.mac.
I can't believe how many people think of Apple as a religious patriarchy.
They are a computer company.

ward@hao.UUCP (10/08/84)

> I am fed up with reading this on the net:
> 	"I feel like a fool for spending xxx on yyy because it does not do zzz."
> Would these people please just admit to themselves that they did a foolish thing

Sounds like you're asking people to do what you're tired of hearing
them do.
> buying yyy, sell it for 50% xxx and figure out what they really want yyy to do.
You'd make a great economist.

> I can't believe how many people think of Apple as a religious patriarchy.
> They are a computer company.

And a very greedy one, at that.

--
Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward