[net.micro.apple] Mac printer scoop

jon@fortune.UUCP (10/07/84)

	I have a copy of the Macintosh Developers Newsletter.  The contents
the letter were much less interesting and newsworthy for me than the actual
newsletter itself.  It was "Printed by MacWrite on an insanely great,
unannounced Apple printer."  I am no expert on print quality, but to my
untrained eyes, the type looks as good as any typesetter could do.

	Thought somebody might be interested,
		Michael Toy

ksj@vectron.UUCP (ksj) (10/08/84)

Rumor at the last SF Mac UG meet was that the printer will cost ~$5K
and is intended to be shared among multiple Macs on an AppleBus network.
It has 2 *Megs* of RAM (for fonts?) using the same 256K chips as the Fat Mac.
If this is true the single user is out of luck for a while until the price
comes down...but WHAT A PRINTER!
	Does any one else have any info on this device?
	--Kent

marc@wlcrjs.UUCP (Marc Lavine) (10/08/84)

> 	I have a copy of the Macintosh Developers Newsletter.  The contents
> the letter were much less interesting and newsworthy for me than the actual
> newsletter itself.  It was "Printed by MacWrite on an insanely great,
> unannounced Apple printer."  I am no expert on print quality, but to my
> untrained eyes, the type looks as good as any typesetter could do.

I'd says the odds are 10 to 1 that its Apple's new laser printer to-be.
Steve Jobs was quoted in the September 17th "Portfolio Letter", describing
some new products, including a "dramatic breakthrough" in laser printing.
--
			Marc Lavine
uucp:	...ihnp4!wlcrjs!marc

spector@acf4.UUCP (10/10/84)

In a conference on compuserve, Bill Atkinson mentioned that the laser printer
would go for under $3000, and a note I read LAST NIGHT (10/9) on CServe
hinted (nay, said outeright) that there would be an Apple product announcement
on the 15th or 16th.  The note, btw, was from Dan Cochran, and was in reply
to a query on why Assimlation (sp?) Process wasn't shipping the new MacWrite
with the spelling checker.

Chochran's response was on the order of

   ...they are ready to ship, but Apple has asked them to wait until after
the new product announcement of October 15th or 16th...

			David HM Spector
			NYU/acf Systems Group
			ArpaNET:  Spector@nyu-cmcl1.ARPA
			uucpNET:  ...!allegra!cmcl2!cmcl1!spector

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (10/11/84)

> I swear, this "insanely great" printer has been causing an incredible amount
> of discussion for an unannounced product (see fa.laser-lovers for occasional
> hints, for example).  Anyone have any news about when and how Apple actually
> plans to announce it?
>
> 					--Rick

Next Month.

With Apple it's always next month.

--
Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (10/11/84)

In article <12500013@acf4.UUCP> spector@acf4.UUCP writes:

>In a conference on compuserve, Bill Atkinson mentioned that the laser printer
>would go for under $3000 ...

It's hard to argue with Bill Atkinson, and I would really love to see it
at that price, but the figure I've heard is almost twice that.  I'm
trying to stay out of this, since I've seen the printer docs (ND
agreement), but can confirm that this printer is really truly going to
be better than any other currently available laser printer (that I know
of).  It's not clear (to me) that the MAC is powerful enough to take
advantage of all its features.

The announcement date sounds about right.

=S

spector@acf4.UUCP (10/13/84)

According to Dan Cochran, on compuserve, there will be a product announcement
on the 15th or 16th of October, so we shall see..

		Any bets?

The way I see it, its one of 3 things...

	1) Hard Disks
	2) 800K Double sided MicroDisks
	3) The Infamous Apple Laser Printer.

(Personally I hope its Hard disks, which means there should be a new version
 of the finder...:-)

		David HM Spector
		NYU/acf Systems Group
		251 Mercer St.