[net.micro.apple] *** CHEATING ON ULTIMA ]I[ ***

stanly@unmvax.UUCP (03/12/85)

>From allegra!watmath!csc@gatech Mon Mar  4 07:51:15 1985
>From: watmath!csc@allegra (Computer Sci Club)
>To: stanly@unmvax
>Subject: Re: Book : THE BOOK OF ADVENTURE GAMES
>
>would L O V E to get mail including following info:
>
>	ANY spoilers lying around for the Infocom games, as well
>as how to "modify" (cheat?) characters in Ultima ]I[.
>
>Thanx in advance
>
>Gilles Dignard

Introduction:

	I am about to tell you people how to MODIFY characters for
Ultima ]I[. This is a very bad to know because from then on you will
be un-able to watch a game of Ultima ]I[ without "helping" by cheating.
I am not going to tell all but I will tell how to get at the data.

Part I: getting at the data

	1) If you have a card that lets you stop programs and change
 		the bytes in the middle of a run then you have it easy.  Just
		stop the game while playing the characters you want to
 		change.

	2) If you have a sector editor(DOS 3.3) then do the following.
		Start Ultima ]I[ and form a party filled with the characters
		you want to edit.  Then leave Ultima ]I[ and turn on your
		sector editor.  Put in the player disk and read in
		Track 3, Sector 7.

	3) When using the card do the changes to the range of memory
		from $4000 to $40FF.  It looks exactly like Track 3, Sector 7.

Part II: changing the data.

	Each character uses $40 bytes to store his most important
		 characteristics. Character 1 uses 0-$3F, 2 uses $40-7F,etc.

	I AM NOT GOING TO TELL YOU WHAT EACH BYTE DOES!!! It is not
that hard to figure out.

I will tell you a hint: Before editing your disk, write down all the
 stats of your first player.  He will be in the first $40 bytes.  LOOK
 FOR MATCHES!!!  Exp,gold,level,hits,hit max are all two byte blocks.
 your cards and marks are one byte where each bit tells if you have the
 card or not.  I put $FF here and get them all.

Part III: saving.

	If using card just restart game. A control-Y on a Wildcard
		if I remember correctly.

	If using sector editor just write it out to disk and then
		restart Ultima ]I[.

		Happy gaming.

Send me mail . . . I   L O V E  mail

          Josh Siegel

 {convex,ucbvax,gatech,csu-cs,anl-mcs,lanl-a}!unmvax!unm-cvax!josh
Note:
 I welcome other bits of info on ULTIMA ]I[.  I still I am trying to
  work out how to modify your position.  ITS FUN TO CHEAT!!(sometimes)