[net.micro.apple] Wizard's Workbench, a no-no

hardware@watmath.UUCP (MFCF Hardware Lab) (03/20/85)

I just received a letter from Sir-Tech answering my questions about Wizardry,
and they recommended me to stay away from the program WIZARD'S WORKBENCH,
stating that it could ruin the Wizardry disk, and its use would void the
warranty.
Has anybody used this program extensively? Does it really ruin the master disk?
Any comments would be appreciated.

On another note, In Wizardry III, if your good party chooses to fight when
they come upon the "Fight or Leave in peace" situtation, they could turn into
Evil characters as Fighting is an Evil trait.  Beware! for now a party can
contain all three alignments at once, causing interesting results.

	Happy adventuring.

cs2532aa@unm-cvax.UUCP (03/23/85)

> From: hardware@watmath.UUCP (MFCF Hardware Lab)

> I just received a letter from Sir-Tech answering my questions about Wizardry,
> and they recommended me to stay away from the program WIZARD'S WORKBENCH,
> stating that it could ruin the Wizardry disk, and its use would void the
> warranty.
> Has anybody used this program extensively? Does it really ruin the master
> disk? Any comments would be appreciated.

I suspect that Sir-Tech doesn't want you to use WIZARD'S WORKBENCH in general
because it allows people to create their OWN Wizardry scenarios, thus cutting
down on the market for Sir-Tech developed ones.  I have seen the program but
have not used it.  It will only "ruin" your master disk in the sense that it
will alter the data on it and if you don't know what you're doing it could mess
things up a bit.  Just don't alter your original Scenario Master.  (It's a good
idea to never even PLAY off of the original of the SM, because the shopkeeper
keeps totals for the whole disk, and rare items hauled in by earlier parties
would be in his shop already.  Ik!  Also, what if something goes *munch*?)

Anyway, just back up your SM before you edit it with WW.  WW is quite imp-
ressive, as is its counterpart, "Exodus Construction Set".

By the way, to the "No Cheating!" freaks, I do not believe that WW allows you
to edit the characteristics of active players.  But if you can turn Werdna
into a lousy Orc, who needs to?

		.rne.

-----
Real World . . Ernie Longmire / 311 Don St. SE / Los Lunas, NM  87031-9405
UUCP . . . . . {{purdue,cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unm-cvax!cs2532aa
-----