[net.micro.apple] Piracy????

district@ny1mm.DEC (03/25/85)

Hi All. My name is DOCTOR VAX and as a PIRATE I would like to answer some
of the STUPID statements of Joel McCormack.....

  I have read his letter many times and still see the same thing. He had[has]
a company that sold a fairly expensive product. This is not bad in itself,but
his product was SHIT!!! Take it from me I know. He acknowledges that he didn't
have the capital to ramp up production. Well Joel it takes money to make it. You obviously didn't and tried to SNEAK by with a product that YOU thought would
make it. Bad business JOEL !! You also tried to recoop your development cost
to soon. Bad move again. Then you started discounting with big numbers. Tcchh
Tccch.... Bad again. When that happens most intelligent people [dealers to]
see the writing on the wall. Jeez did you ever take a Business or marketing
cost??? You also stated that you didn't give a shit about what we think is a
fair price. That's true for me, but what about the people out there that want
to buy it. Your software was just overpriced and not that GOOD [ouch!]
 About MYTH #2
I DO have the RIGH{ to back up MY software. Look into the Laws you jerk. Your
anlogies to the car holds no water. If my car breaks down my business will not
suffer. Without a backup it will!!! You also stated that if I[we] don't like theway software is packaged,licensed etc then don't buy it. Well thats what we
did and thats why your working for DEC [ouch that hurt]. By virtue of you now working for dec means one of two thing. You talk good shit and got or job or you
are a good programmer. I hope its the latter. A good businessman your not.
About MYTH #3
The estimates of 5-10 times the legal copies is just that. An estimate. Prices
would not come down as much as you think. The people that are still in business
like Broderbund,PFS,Quark,Penguin etc have low prices already. The software is
selling good too. Not because its cheap,but because its GOOD. The best example
is BEAGLE BROS. utilites for the Apple. NEVER has ANY of there software been
protected!!!!!! They're doing just fine. Ask Bert.
 I have around 500 disks worth of software [not yours I deleted it] and some
I bought and most I got. Also your statement most pirates are pathetic liars
is a bunch of bullshit!!! You must know some shit people [birds of a feather...
All of the Pirates I know are ok people. We don't hurt any company. If your
software is good it'll sell if not well.....
 So in Summary it sounds like your just a pissed off [on] businessman and looking for a SCAPEGOAT. As for the MORALITY of it YOUR FULL OF SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DIDN'T BRING DOWN YOUR BUSINESS-----YOU DID. YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO RUN IT
     YOUR AN ASSHOLE. YOU FAILED AND CAN'T ADMIT IT!!!
IF AND WHEN YOU HAVE SOME GOOD SOFTWARE LET ME KNOW. I'D LIKE TO SIGN IT

DOCTOR VAX                 LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pop@bunkerb.UUCP (Paul Pederson) (03/26/85)

> Hi All. My name is DOCTOR VAX and as a PIRATE I would like to answer some
> of the STUPID statements of Joel McCormack.....
>
>   I have read his letter many times and still see the same thing. He had[has]
> a company that sold a fairly expensive product. This is not bad in itself,but
> his product was SHIT!!! Take it from me I know. He acknowledges that he didn't

	The issue here DOCTOR VAX, is not how good or bad a product is, but
what software pirating is doing to the computer software industry.  By now,
I am sure that you have recieved the personal response which I have sent you.
You would be well advised to read it, probably several times.

	The fact remains that it is ILLEGAL to copy programs and distribute
them to anyone, whether free of charge or not, if they are registered with
the library of congress and protected under the copyright laws of the
United States.

	I applaud Lotus Development Corporation in their attempts to crack
down on software piracy.  To date I am aware that they have stopped at least
two major software pirates.  One of the software pirates was distribuing
free copies of 1-2-3 among nursing homes.  His piracy cost the firm which
owned the nursing homes something like $1,000,000.  The other piracy case
was resolved for a similar sum of money.

> I DIDN'T BRING DOWN YOUR BUSINESS-----YOU DID. YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO RUN IT
>      YOUR AN ASSHOLE. YOU FAILED AND CAN'T ADMIT IT!!!
> IF AND WHEN YOU HAVE SOME GOOD SOFTWARE LET ME KNOW. I'D LIKE TO SIGN IT
>

> DOCTOR VAX                 LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

	DOCTOR VAX, did you know that the above statement could cost you
a lot of money?  Calling, or even implying, that someone is an ASSHOLE could
be subject to litigation.  If the person whom you have directed the comment to
feels that he has been defamed, he could sue you for actual and punitive
damages.

	In the future, DOCTOR VAX, I suggest that you keep a civilized tongue.
Not only may you have just damaged the reputation of the one whom you have
directed your comments to, you may very well have damaged the reputation of
the company you represent.  It is DEC Engineering Network, isn't it?  How
about the bad image you have just given DEC itself?

	-Paul O. Pederson

	{ittvax, philabs, decvax}!bunkerb!pop

brad@gcc-bill.ARPA (Brad Parker) (03/26/85)

In article <1309@decwrl.UUCP> district@ny1mm.DEC writes:
>Hi All. My name is DOCTOR VAX and as a PIRATE I would like to answer some
>of the STUPID statements of Joel McCormack.....
>
>I DIDN'T BRING DOWN YOUR BUSINESS-----YOU DID. YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO RUN IT
>     YOUR AN ASSHOLE. YOU FAILED AND CAN'T ADMIT IT!!!
>IF AND WHEN YOU HAVE SOME GOOD SOFTWARE LET ME KNOW. I'D LIKE TO SIGN IT

Well, I'm glad to see that the quality of usenet postings hasn't degraded
during my week long absence.

--

J Bradford Parker
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives...
	and now it's happening in mine."		-The Smiths

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (03/26/85)

> Hi All. My name is DOCTOR VAX and as a PIRATE I would like to answer some
> of the STUPID statements of Joel McCormack.....

Thank you, thank you, thank you "Doctor VAX" for making my day.  This
was the funniest parody of an illiterate, half-vegetable, brainless,
underevolved software pirate I have read in many a moon.  Might I
suggest you submit it to the New Yorker?  Whee!  Loved it!
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

mercury@ut-ngp.UUCP (Larry E. Baker) (03/26/85)

][

From: district@ny1mm.DEC (1309@decwrl.UUCP)

> Hi All. My name is DOCTOR VAX and as a PIRATE I would like to answer some
> of the STUPID statements of Joel McCormack.....

Wouldn't this tone be better off in net.flame?

> his product was SHIT!!! Take it from me I know. He acknowledges that he didn't
I think this is uncalled for.  Whether or not the product was worth
anything at all, it is not nececssary to publicly insult Joel and/or
his work.  I see you have asked us to belive you but you have cited no
specifics as to *why* his product 'was SHIT',  nor have you given us
any reason to accept your credibility.

> I DO have the RIGH{ to back up MY software. Look into the Laws you jerk......
> did and thats why your working for DEC [ouch that hurt]. By virtue of you
> now working for dec means one of two thing. You talk good shit and got or
> job or you
> are a good programmer. I hope its the latter. A good businessman your not.

I don't see how this has any revelant bearing on the subject being
discussed.  I infer from your 'ouch that hurt' that you have a rather
low opinion of DEC, yet you call yourself 'Doctor VAX'.

> I have around 500 disks worth of software [not yours I deleted it] and some

And I bet you use it all, every day.  Let's see, 500 disks at about $5
a pop...that's about $2500 you have invested in an inert software
library.  I can see a real need for about 15 or 20 text editors, 5 or
6 spreadsheets, etc., and I'll bet you just have shelves and shelves
of the documentation that makes it useful at all.

> So in Summary it sounds like your just a pissed off [on] businessman
> and looking for a SCAPEGOAT. As for the MORALITY of it YOUR FULL OF SHIT!!!!!
>
> I DIDN'T BRING DOWN YOUR BUSINESS-----YOU DID. YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO RUN IT
>      YOUR AN ASSHOLE. YOU FAILED AND CAN'T ADMIT IT!!!
> IF AND WHEN YOU HAVE SOME GOOD SOFTWARE LET ME KNOW. I'D LIKE TO SIGN IT

Somehow I get the feeling that you've never read net.announce.  This
kind of writing is extreme even for net.flame.  Just ask Ken Arndt.

I'm sorry if this response sounds like the picky kind of flaming that
goes on periodically about spelling, english, grammer, etc. but this
person really rubs me the wrong way.  I've been reading the net for
about 6 months, and I have yet to see a letter as openly insulting and
pointless as this one outside of net.flame.

--
-  Larry Baker @ The University of Texas at Austin
-  ...{seismo!ut-sally | decvax!allegra | tektronix!ihnp4}!ut-ngp!mercury

uevans@ecsvax.UUCP (Elizabeth A. Evans) (03/27/85)

	<The fact remains that it is ILLEGAL to copy programs and distribute
< them to anyone, whether free of charge or not, if they are registered with
< the library of congress and protected under the copyright laws of the
< United States.

Actually, you don't have to ** register ** the program to have
copyright protection.  If you write a program, and include the
required copyright notices, the program is copyrighted, whether
or not it is registered.  Potential penalties differ, however,
depending on whether the program (or any other copyrightable
material) is registered or not.

I'm not sure of the exact details for the copyright notices or the
differences in penalties, but could find out the ** basics ** if
people are interested, and there's nobody in NETland that does
know.

-- Elizabeth A. Evans
   Dept of Psychiatry
   UNC-Chapel Hill School of Medicine

bch@ecsvax.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (03/27/85)

In article <1492@ut-ngp.UUCP> mercury@ut-ngp.UUCP (Larry E. Baker) writes:
>From: district@ny1mm.DEC (1309@decwrl.UUCP)
>
>> I have around 500 disks worth of software [not yours I deleted it] and some
>
>And I bet you use it all, every day.  Let's see, 500 disks at about $5
>a pop...that's about $2500 you have invested in an inert software
>library.

No, No.  You fail to consider the possibility that DOCTOR VAX has stolen the
disks as well.  If he reserves the right to consider a program stealable if
it doesn't meet his arbitrary price/performance standard then we must assume
he reserves that right for hardware also.  After all, a couple of dollars is
*way* to much to charge for a little bit of cardboard, plastic and iron
oxide, isn't it? :-)

--

                                              Byron Howes
					System Manager -- NCECS

dbn@brunix.UUCP (Dave Nanian) (03/28/85)

I have to admit, I've never seen anything quite like this article.  I suppose
the author (Dr. Vax) deserves some sort of award.

In fact, the article is so incredible, it's almost impossible to reply.  It's
hard to believe that there are people out there who have such little respect
for the rights and feelings of others.  Maybe the award should be the
"most insulting letter" award.  Or the "most obnoxious".  Or even the
"most ungrammatical".

I'm really at a loss for words here, so let me conclude with my recommendation
for the award.  Does anyone have a "Pirate" style eyepatch with some nice,
sharp spikes on the inside?

cs2532aa@unm-cvax.UUCP (03/28/85)

>>From: district@ny1mm.DEC (1309@decwrl.UUCP)
>From: mercury@ut-ngp.UUCP (Larry E. Baker)

>> I have around 500 disks worth of software [not yours I deleted it] and some

> And I bet you use it all, every day.  Let's see, 500 disks at about $5
> a pop...that's about $2500 you have invested in an inert software
> library.  I can see a real need for about 15 or 20 text editors, 5 or
> 6 spreadsheets, etc., and I'll bet you just have shelves and shelves
> of the documentation that makes it useful at all.
>
>  Larry Baker @ The University of Texas at Austin

First off, what disks do you use, Dysans?  $5 a pop?  Ick!  I buy Conroy-La
Pointes for $.99 each and double-side them.  Even if Doctor Vax uses Datalifes
(at ~$2 apiece in any decent discount store) his disks only cost him $1000.
Not all that much, really.

And as for the "15-20 text editors, 5 or 6 spreadsheets", you ignore the
pack-rat aspect of piracy -- many (most?) pirates are more software collectors
than anything else.  Do you question a Beatlemanic's 4-5 different pressings
of the same album on the grounds that "more than one is useless?"  Besides,
you don't need "shelves and shelves of documentation" for games, which is
what most pirates pirate.  Just boot and shoot.

(As for the legal aspects of it, well, that is another story which I
refuse to even touch upon in THIS posting...)

		.rne.

mercury@ut-ngp.UUCP (Larry E. Baker) (03/28/85)

[aarrrggg]

> No, No.  You fail to consider the possibility that DOCTOR VAX has stolen the
> disks as well.  If he reserves the right to consider a program stealable if
> it doesn't meet his arbitrary price/performance standard then we must assume
> he reserves that right for hardware also.  After all, a couple of dollars is
> *way* to much to charge for a little bit of cardboard, plastic and iron
> oxide, isn't it? :-)

You are quite right.  However, now that you make me think about it, we
must also consider the possibility that he stole his *computer*.
Think about it.  All those running-dog capitalists who are reaping
obcene profits for a small collection of plastic, metal, wire and
(let's not forget it) silicon... :-)

--

hsu@cvl.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/29/85)

> [aarrrggg]
>> No, No. You fail to consider the possibility that DOCTOR VAX has stolen the
>> disks as well.  If he reserves the right to consider a program stealable if
>> it doesn't meet his arbitrary price/performance standard then we must assume
>> he reserves that right for hardware also. After all, a couple of dollars is
>> *way* to much to charge for a little bit of cardboard, plastic and iron
>> oxide, isn't it? :-)
>
> You are quite right.  However, now that you make me think about it, we
> must also consider the possibility that he stole his *computer*.

Ok guys...this is heading off in a weird tangent.

I confess...I knew many pirates some years ago.  Many pirates.  Learned
which boards they hung out on.  How many disks they had.  How they got
their "wares".  How they congregated.

And names.  Many names.  1200 club.  Super Pirates of Minneapolis.  The
Underground.  Hi-res Hijackers.  etc.

But not one of these people stole their micros, nor their disks.  Usually,
the micros were another "my dad bought it" item, and the disks were gifts
from other grateful (read: lesser) pirates.  All the way from the guy with
4 disks, to the fellow with 1500 double-sideds.  Yes, there really were 1500.
And don't tell me that he used them all every day.  He couldn't BOOT them all
in a day.

In fact, they used to issue "statements of purpose", detailing their morals,
why they pirated and phreaked, and why they wouldn't support
piracy-for-profit.  These people were anarchists, not hardened criminals.

And they didn't steal their computers.

-dave

> > No, No.  You fail to consider the possibility that DOCTOR VAX has stolen the
> > disks as well.  If he reserves the right to consider a program stealable if
> > it doesn't meet his arbitrary price/performance standard then we must assume
> > he reserves that right for hardware also.  After all, a couple of dollars is
> > *way* to much to charge for a little bit of cardboard, plastic and iron
> > oxide, isn't it? :-)
>
> You are quite right.  However, now that you make me think about it, we
> must also consider the possibility that he stole his *computer*.
> Think about it.  All those running-dog capitalists who are reaping
> obcene profits for a small collection of plastic, metal, wire and
> (let's not forget it) silicon... :-)

And how about his electricity??  Surely there are electrons all over
the place and it is unfair to be charged for their use!  (Especially
since they're not consumed but just moved around.)

rww@usl.UUCP (Robert W. Walsh) (04/02/85)

How about someone creating a new news group: net.micro.piratehaters?????

--

                                      Robert Walsh
ut-sally \                            University of Southwestern Louisiana

terdal@reed.UUCP (Paul Terdal) (04/02/85)

In 'Piracy????', Dr. Vax, as has been repeated a near infinite number of times,
made some rather inappropriate and crude remarks....  It would seem that other
users of the net ahve been trying to prove themselves his superior at this
by criticizing him with some pretty degrading remarks of their own....
As we have all heard P-L-E-N-T-Y on this subject, why don't we forget
piracy for a few weeks...?

				decvax!tektronix!reed!terdal