[net.micro.apple] "vi-like editors"

tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) (06/12/85)

I hate to say this, (what with all of the good reports from others...),
but I have used the MANX compiler/editor system and I cannot recommend
the "vi-like" editor as a serious word processor.  It works fine for
creating C programs, but for word processing it has the following problems:

    - It has only a small subset of the vi commands, lacking the most
      important ones (i.e. "undo", magic commands like ".", etc.)

    - Since there is no character buffering, you always have to wait
      for the screen to update before proceeding (very annoying since
      it updates in a weird fashion).

    - It is "buggy" (I have crashed it a number of times for no apparent
      reason).

I have other complaints, but I gotta get back to work.
--
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|    Tom Levin   {ttidca|sdcrdcf|logico|scgvaxd|bellcore}!psivax!tommie      |

dudek@utai.UUCP (Gregory Dudek) (06/14/85)

Regarding the MANX vi-like editor for the Apple II, not only
did the version I used lack some of the fancy visual mode commands,
but it dodn't even have a global replace!!  As has already been
obserevd, it's bearable, but not beautiful.  On the other hand, I
never had it crash on me.
  In contrast, MANX's vi-like editor for the MacIntosh seems VERY
complete.  I guess they just needed some extra address space.

ahby@meccts.UUCP (Shane P. McCarron) (06/17/85)

In article <505@psivax.UUCP> tommie@psivax.UUCP (Tom Levin) writes:
>I hate to say this, (what with all of the good reports from others...),
>but I have used the MANX compiler/editor system and I cannot recommend
>the "vi-like" editor as a serious word processor.

If you are looking for a serious word processor, I would recommend
Appleworks.  It is reasonably fast, intuitive (unlike vi), but it
is expensive.
--

Shane P. McCarron
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	{ihnp4,harpo}!umn-cs!circadia!meccts!ahby
	{ihnp4,mgnetp,uwvax}!dicomed!mecc!meccts!ahby