[net.micro.apple] Softronics - Amazing upgrade policy

jed@mb2c.UUCP (John Duncan) (07/31/85)

/**/
I just logged on the the new Softronics update BBS and found out that they have
a new version of Softerm-1 and Softerm-2 for the IIc/e with 128K memory.
The new version doesn't even need a slot for the extra keypad, great right?

Here's the update policy (their exact words, not mine):

	UPDATE POLICY:
	1) Original Softerm to Softerm 2 or Softerm 2c
	   a) $100 fee
	   b) Program diskette label or Program Diskette
	   c) Title page of manual (contains serial number)
	2) Softerm 2 to Softerm 2c
	   a) $100 fee
	   b) Warranty registration must be on file
	   c) return the keypad expander circuit board

Don't get me wrong, I love these people; they have in my opinion the best
terminal programs going on the Apple II series, bar none.  But these fees
seem a bit steep for a program with a list price of $195.

Please don't take this as a rub against this product, I just hope that
no one makes the mistake of thinking that they can upgrade to the new
product for any reasonable amount of money.  If you want the version without
the circuit card that uses the extra memory in the 128K IIc/e, make sure you
get Softerm 2c *THE FIRST TIME*.

John Duncan	(mb2c!jed)	Michigan Bell		(313) 968-9002

lyourk@ihlpm.UUCP (LORANY) (07/31/85)

> /**/
>I just logged on the the new Softronics update BBS and found out that they have
> a new version of Softerm-1 and Softerm-2 for the IIc/e with 128K memory.
> The new version doesn't even need a slot for the extra keypad, great right?
>
> Here's the update policy (their exact words, not mine):
.		.		.
.		.		.
> 	2) Softerm 2 to Softerm 2c
> 	   a) $100 fee
> 	   b) Warranty registration must be on file
> 	   c) return the keypad expander circuit board
.		.		.
.		.		.
I desperately needed the extra slot so I had to upgrade.
Their present policy is, if you use a charge card, they
will clear it for $100 but will hold it for 30 days until they
get the keypad expander circuit board; after they receive the
expander, they will only charge $50.00.

The new //c version has a one page insert on the
differences between the two versions.  One difference is a larger
capture buffer so it doesn't have to save to disk as often as the
64K version (this may be critical if you are talking to an IBM
system or any half duplex system that doesn't know what control S
is for).  The other difference is that it no longer takes up a
slot and is very handy for //e or //c users because it uses the
open and closed Apple keys (I had hooked up the open and closed
Apple keys on the 64K version).

I like their product but I think charging for the upgrade is
unreasonable because of their advertized upgrade policy.
NOTE:  They are working on a PRO DOS version which may be done by
Xmas so you may want to wait until then.

ihnp4!ihlpm!lyourk			Loran N. Yourk
					AT&T Technologies

NOTE: Insert trademarks where they are needed.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Softronics other than that I
use their product (because nothing else comes close to what I
need, unfortionally) and will only benefit from this if
Softronics gives me my $50.00 back (or if any of you in netland
want to give me the other $50.00 that you would have spent on the
upgrade - which is to say for either of the above, FAT CHANCE!).

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (08/01/85)

>I just logged on the the new Softronics update BBS and found out that they have
>a new version of Softerm-1 and Softerm-2 for the IIc/e with 128K memory.
>The new version doesn't even need a slot for the extra keypad, great right?
>
>Here's the update policy (their exact words, not mine):
>
>	UPDATE POLICY:
>	1) Original Softerm to Softerm 2 or Softerm 2c
>	   a) $100 fee
>	   b) Program diskette label or Program Diskette
>	   c) Title page of manual (contains serial number)
>	2) Softerm 2 to Softerm 2c
>	   a) $100 fee
>	   b) Warranty registration must be on file
>	   c) return the keypad expander circuit board
>
>Don't get me wrong, I love these people; they have in my opinion the best
>terminal programs going on the Apple II series, bar none.  But these fees
>seem a bit steep for a program with a list price of $195.

I hate them.  First I buy the original Softerm.  One of the main
reasons is that their ads promise *free* updates for the life of the
program.  Then they come up with Softerm I and II.  It corrects most
the bugs in the original program, plus adds xmodem support.  So I call
the update number expecting to receive the updates.  No way.  They are
going back on their promise of perpetual support for Softerm, I must
send them $100 to get the updated package.  And now I hear that I must
once again shell out $100 to keep my version current?  Arggggggh!!!
Someone should sue these folks for false advertising.

Another problem.  At work we have a few dozen AT&T 6300 PCs that we
would like to connect to our mainframe.  Since we need Televideo 950
support (complete with protected fields) Softerm PC sounds like a
natural.  Can you believe that these folks have no educational
discount and no quantity discount?  If we want Softerm PC for 30
machines, it will cost 30*195= $5850!!  The only other alternative
would be to buy a site licence, but that would cost more than buying
30 individual copies.

Ben Broder
..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben

ted@bcsaic.UUCP (ted jardine) (08/03/85)

In article <227@mb2c.UUCP> jed@mb2c.UUCP (John Duncan) writes:
>Here's the update policy (their exact words, not mine):
>
>	UPDATE POLICY:
>	1) Original Softerm to Softerm 2 or Softerm 2c
>	   a) $100 fee
>	   b) Program diskette label or Program Diskette
>	   c) Title page of manual (contains serial number)
>	2) Softerm 2 to Softerm 2c
>	   a) $100 fee
>	   b) Warranty registration must be on file
>	   c) return the keypad expander circuit board
>
>Don't get me wrong, I love these people; they have in my opinion the best
>terminal programs going on the Apple II series, bar none.  But these fees
>seem a bit steep for a program with a list price of $195.
>
>Please don't take this as a rub against this product, I just hope that
>no one makes the mistake of thinking that they can upgrade to the new
>product for any reasonable amount of money.  If you want the version without
>the circuit card that uses the extra memory in the 128K IIc/e, make sure you
>get Softerm 2c *THE FIRST TIME*.

I can't comment on the contents of the bulletin board that you quote, but I
was an owner of Softerm-2 and was provided a Softerm-2c package (complete)
for $50, the title page of the old manual, the keypad expander card, and the
program diskettes.  The new package is great on my Apple //e (enhanced) --
almost the same as the previous package, and the almost difference is not
essential, just cosmetic.  I wouldn't EXPECT a company to upgrade for less
than the full price, so am pleased with the Softronics policy even if it were
to cost $100.  There are several companies that I've come across that charge
full price for an upgrade.

TJ (with Amazing Grace) The Piper
(aka Ted Jardine)
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center