[net.micro.apple] Apple IIe Mass Storage

lej@spar.UUCP (Luis Jenkins) (07/31/85)

<<< included for historical reasons >>>

What is the {best, easiest, cheapest} way of upgrading the disk
storage on a IIe to over a Megabyte?

I don't feel like adding a string a 10 Apple disk drives with 5
controllers to do this!

Can you recommend:

	a- Any other 5 1/4" drives for the IIe, preferably with
           close to 0.5M storage/drive?
	b- Any 8" drives with more than 0.5M storage/drive?
	c- A 5MB or 10MB Hard Disk?

that works without any problem under DOS, ProDOS and a Microsoft
Z-80 SoftCard?

Have you used any of the above? What were your experiences?

10MB HDs for the (yeech!) IBM PC seem to be going for less than
$600.00 these days. Is there anything even half as good for a
IIe?

Thanks,

	Luis Jenkins
	Schlumberger Palo Alto Research, CA
	...decwrl!spar!lej

owen@rtp47.UUCP (Karl M. Owen) (08/02/85)

In article <429@spar.UUCP> lej@spar.UUCP (Luis Jenkins) writes:

>What is the {best, easiest, cheapest} way of upgrading the disk
>storage on a IIe to over a Megabyte?
>
>Can you recommend:
>
>	a- Any other 5 1/4" drives for the IIe, preferably with
>           close to 0.5M storage/drive?

	How about RANA Elite III drives?  While they are a little expensive,
	they hold ~800K (if memory serves).

>	b- Any 8" drives with more than 0.5M storage/drive?
>	c- A 5MB or 10MB Hard Disk?

	I've been seriously looking at the Sider 10MB hard drive.  I
	can't remember the company offhand, but check some recent
	issues of Byte.  I've heard good things both from the net and
	from users I know.

>	Luis Jenkins

				Karl M. Owen
				Data General, RTP, NC
				...!seismo!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!owen

neves@uwai.UUCP (08/04/85)

> In article <429@spar.UUCP> lej@spar.UUCP (Luis Jenkins) writes:
>
> >What is the {best, easiest, cheapest} way of upgrading the disk
> >storage on a IIe to over a Megabyte?
> >
> >	a- Any other 5 1/4" drives for the IIe, preferably with
> >           close to 0.5M storage/drive?
>
> 	How about RANA Elite III drives?  While they are a little expensive,
> 	they hold ~800K (if memory serves).
I would not recommend the RANA as Infoworld reported that RANA has gone out
of business.  It is also rumored that Apple will be introducing a 800K
3 1/2" drive for the ][ in January.
> >	c- A 5MB or 10MB Hard Disk?
>
> 	I've been seriously looking at the Sider 10MB hard drive.  I
I've heard mostly good things about the Sider.  One thing you should
note is that it might not work for CP/M if you have a 64K CP/M card.
You might need a special driver which they probably haven't written
yet.  Anyone else have information on which CP/M cards the Sider will
work on?--
David Neves
Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin-Madison

Usenet:  {allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,uwm-evax}!uwvax!neves
Arpanet: neves@uwvax

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (08/04/85)

In article <120@rtp47.UUCP> owen@dgux.fk.UUCP (Karl M. Owen) writes:
>>Can you recommend:
>>
>>	a- Any other 5 1/4" drives for the IIe, preferably with
>>           close to 0.5M storage/drive?
>
>	How about RANA Elite III drives?  While they are a little expensive,
>	they hold ~800K (if memory serves).

Before investing in Rana drives you should be aware that Rana has gone out
of business.  Their drives are still available, probably at good prices,
and they ARE well made, but don't expect any support.  Elite III capacity
is about 650K.  I have one I bought over a year ago and it works fine.
--
Dave Seaman			 ..!pur-ee!pucc-h:ags