[net.micro.apple] Amiga monitor

rbt@sftig.UUCP (R.Thomas) (09/03/85)

> 	Inputs:				    RGB analog and sync signals, digital
>						RGBI, NTSC composite.
>
> 				Jere M. Marrs
> 				Tektronix, Inc.

OK.  I give up.  Will somebody please explain what the difference between the
various color input types are.   What is the difference between RGBI digital,
RGB analog, and NTSC composite, and all the rest.  (The Apple RGB Color
card produces something called XRGB, what's that?)

Thanks for any light you can shed!

Rick Thomas
ihnp4!attunix!rbt

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (09/04/85)

> OK.  I give up.  Will somebody please explain what the difference between the
> various color input types are.   What is the difference between RGBI digital,
> RGB analog, and NTSC composite, and all the rest.  (The Apple RGB Color
> card produces something called XRGB, what's that?)

RGB ... red, green, blue.  A separate wire for color signal.  There
may be a separate sync signal or it may be overlaid on one of the color
signals.   RGB analog is just that.  The Sony profeel monitors put schmidt
triggers on the RGB inputs which shape them into either zero or one values.
NTSC is what your TV set use (nick named Never The Same Color).  It is the
method of composing all the colors into a single video signal that is also
compatible with Black and White monitors.  They do this by making the primary
signal the black and white intensity, and then have some side signals for
the color.  Look up "color" in Foley and Van Dam.

-Ron

peterh@tekgvs.UUCP (Peter Hildebrandt) (09/06/85)

In article <577@sftig.UUCP> rbt@sftig.UUCP (R.Thomas) writes:
>What is the difference between RGBI digital,
>RGB analog, and NTSC composite, and all the rest.  (The Apple RGB Color
>card produces something called XRGB, what's that?)
>
>Thanks for any light you can shed!
>
>Rick Thomas
>ihnp4!attunix!rbt

TTL or RGB digital refers to a video source of three signals, RED, GREEN,
and BLUE, each of which has a digital signal level (0 or 5 Volts).  RGBI
digital adds a fourth bit, INTENSITY, which is also a digital signal.
Hence, RGB digital gives eight colors, whereas RGBI digital produces 16.

RGB analog is also a video source consisting of three signals, RED, GREEN,
and BLUE, but in this case, the signals are analog voltages from 0 to 1 volt.
With analog RGB, you can theoretically get an infinite number of colors on
the screen, but most analog systems are limited by the size of the digital
to analog converter inside.

NTSC composite is standard composite video, combining the red, green, and
blue signals into one.  Most video cassette recorders output NTSC composite.
NTSC video is usually output through a RCA phono jack on microcomputers.

Generally, the signal quality is degraded when the signals are combined for
NTSC video, and therefore, any kind of RGB is preferable.

			Peter Hildebrandt
			Tektronix Laboratories