[net.micro.apple] ae 1200 baud problems

cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (09/16/85)

i have run across a problem when i use ascii express or ascom (under cp/m) to
talk to unix at 1200 baud.  i frequently lose the first (in ae) or second (in
ascom) character.  this doesn't happen at 300 baud and no other characters are
lost.  i am currently operating with an emp 1200b modem but will be changing to
a smartteam modem within the week.  my serial card is the apple super serial.
i am still running 40 columns and find that the problem occurs every time thaty
the left side of the screen is reached (i.e. at the start and dead-centre
of lines).  any suggestions?

--
---
Carlo Sgro

Formerly: ...!watmath!watcgl!electro!carlo
and Also: ...!ihnp4!chinet!dagwood

"ihnp4 Express:  Overnight to the USA or you don't pay!"

ix469@sdcc6.UUCP (david smith) (09/30/85)

In article <7536@watrose.UUCP> cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) writes:
>i have run across a problem when i use ascii express or ascom (under cp/m) to
>talk to unix at 1200 baud.  i frequently lose the first (in ae) or second (in
>ascom) character.  this doesn't happen at 300 baud and no other characters are
>lost.  i am currently operating with an emp 1200b modem but will be changing to
>a smartteam modem within the week.  my serial card is the apple super serial.
>i am still running 40 columns and find that the problem occurs every time thaty
>the left side of the screen is reached (i.e. at the start and dead-centre
>of lines).  any suggestions?
>

>--
>---
>Carlo Sgro
>...![ihnp4||decvax||allegra||clyde||utzoo]!watmath!watrose!cjsgro

I had the same problem on my Apple IIe.  Seems that the wonderful
screen drivers written by Apple in the monitor (and Apple 80-column
card) ROMs are a tad slow, this being the fault of one Stephen
Wozniak who contorted the screen memory map all over the place to
save a couple of chips, forcing the good ol' 6502 to go thru all
sorts of calculations.  Anyway, there are three solutions.  1)
Re-write the video routines and figure out a way to interface them
to AE.  2) Buy a third-party 80 column board.  3) Buy a terminal
program that works at 1200 baud.

I started on 1, and gave up when I came across three.  Now, I'm
using Apple Access (from Apple) which deos work at 1200 baud and
does a semi-decent VT100 emulation (but not perfect).   I do like
AE, though and I may still attempt to hack my re-written video
drivers into it.  If so, I will post to the net.  If anyone wants a
listing of my semi-finished, faster screen drivers, drop me a note.

				David L. Smith
		{ucbvax, ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix469