[net.micro.apple] CP/M, 70 column card and Wordstar for $165?!?!?

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey, Programmer Extraordinaire) (09/29/85)

< this line intentionally left blank >

A few months ago, I got something in the mail from a company
in Washington (I think).  They were offering Wordstar for the
Apple for $165, and "throwing in" a 6MHz CP/M card complete with
64K RAM and a 70-column function on the same card.

It sounded too good to be true, adn I was getting an AMIGA anyway,
so I just filed it (not in the round file).  Now, my mother wants
a word processor, so I'm loaning her my Apple ][+.  She needs all
of the above.  So...

Is this company for real?  I'm sorry I don't have the name at the
moment, but hopefully someone will recognize this offer.  Anybody
order this?

Thanks.

Lee Grey

holly@dartvax.UUCP (Holly Cabell) (10/02/85)

> < this line intentionally left blank >
>
> A few months ago, I got something in the mail from a company
> in Washington (I think).  They were offering Wordstar for the
> Apple for $165, and "throwing in" a 6MHz CP/M card complete with
> 64K RAM and a 70-column function on the same card.
>
> It sounded too good to be true, adn I was getting an AMIGA anyway,
> so I just filed it (not in the round file).  Now, my mother wants
> a word processor, so I'm loaning her my Apple ][+.  She needs all
> of the above.  So...
>
> Is this company for real?  I'm sorry I don't have the name at the
> moment, but hopefully someone will recognize this offer.  Anybody
> order this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lee Grey

I wasn't aware that Wordstar was a game ..
--
--johnc at [the.world] ! dartvax ! holly

rbt@sftig.UUCP (R.Thomas) (10/04/85)

> < this line intentionally left blank >
>
> A few months ago, I got something in the mail from a company
> in Washington (I think).  They were offering Wordstar for the
> Apple for $165, and "throwing in" a 6MHz CP/M card complete with
> 64K RAM and a 70-column function on the same card.
>
> It sounded too good to be true, and I was getting an AMIGA anyway,
> so I just filed it (not in the round file).  Now, my mother wants
> a word processor, so I'm loaning her my Apple ][+.  She needs all
> of the above.  So...
>
> Is this company for real?  I'm sorry I don't have the name at the
> moment, but hopefully someone will recognize this offer.  Anybody
> order this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lee Grey

Yes, they are for real.  The company is Micropro International Corp. and
they are in San Rafael, CA.  Not Washington.  Wordstar is a registered
trademark of Micropro International Corp.  The CP/M board is the so
called 'Starcard', which is actually the PCPI Applicard.  I can't validate
the price, but it sounds like it is in the right ballpark.  The 6MHz Z80 is
as fast as the wind.  I run Turbo Pascal on it and I am continually
impressed with the speed.   Wordstar is also quite sprightly.  The
70-column function is implemented in software, and it is *not* useful as a
replacement for an 80 column card.  It is there so you can run wordstar
even if you dont have a real 80 column board.  You still need a hi-res
monocrome monitor to read it, and the characters are displayed in a 4x8
dotmatrix.  (Work it out:  The Apple hi-res screen is 280x192.  280/70=4
and 192/24=8.)  Not the sort of thing you would want to spend all day
reading.  However, if you get an Apple extended 80 column card to go with
it (or a RAMworks from Applied Engineering) you can have a full, quite
readable, 80 column screen, and there is a software package available
(from Applied Engineering) that uses the extra bank of 64K on the
extended 80-col card (or the extra up to a Meg on the ramworks.) as a
RAMdisk.  Now, talk about *FAST*!

I have one, and I recommend it.

Rick Thomas
ihnp4!attunix!rbt

PS while I am on the subject of RAMdisks, the starcard comes with a
software driver that attaches to DOS3.3 and uses the 64K on the Z80 card as
a ramdisk for the 6502.  For an exorbitant  price (a couple of hundred
dollars) you can get a piggy-back card for the Z80 from PCPI that will
expand the Z80 to a total of 192K, all of which can be used by the
DOS3.3 ramdisk software.   PCPI does not offer a PROdos version of this
software, so I am working on writing one.  If I ever get it finished, it
will probably be available thru PCPI.

PPS.  The package from Micropro includes the hardware and instructions for
installing the 'one-wire shift-key mod' on the II+ in case you haven't
already done so yourself.

Disclaimer -- I have no connection with any of the above companies.
My employer and the owners of this computer undoubtedly have their own
opinions, which may be different from mine.

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey, Programmer Extraordinaire) (10/07/85)

In article <3658@dartvax.UUCP>, holly@dartvax.UUCP (Holly Cabell) writes:
> > A few months ago, I got something in the mail from a company
> > in Washington (I think).  They were offering Wordstar for the
> > Apple for $165, and "throwing in" a 6MHz CP/M card complete with
> > 64K RAM and a 70-column function on the same card.
>
> I wasn't aware that Wordstar was a game ..
> --
> --johnc at [the.world] ! dartvax ! holly

Gees, are you guys strict!  Actually, the cross-posting happened
by accident.  I used f (follow-up) to add this message, not
realizing that the message I randomly picked to follow-up to
had been posted to net.games as well as net.apple.

My apologies to everyone who has lost sleep, money, pease-of-mind,
or karma, due to my horrendous blunder.  I am not worthy to lick
the underside of a toad.

Lee Grey
Cross-Poster Extraordinaire

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey, Programmer Extraordinaire) (10/07/85)

Bye thu whey, I no howe to spel "piece," as in "peace-of-mind."

lbg@gitpyr.UUCP (Lee B Grey, Programmer Extraordinaire) (10/08/85)

The response I got from about 20 different people amounted to this:

The company (BroadReach) and the product are for real and excellent.
The only problem is the 70-column feature which is apparently close
to illegible, since everyone suggested getting an 80-column card to
go with it.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I'm going to go for it.

hestenes@sdcsla.UUCP (Eric Hestenes) (10/09/85)

> The company (BroadReach) and the product are for real and excellent.

Could you post an address or phone number of this place, if the price
is still just $165.

eric
Eric Hestenes
arpanet: hestenes@nprdc.ARPA