[net.micro.apple] need apple//e replacement keyboard

9212mhm@hou2a.UUCP (M.MORTENSEN) (10/03/85)

My Apple //e keyboard has been giving me trouble --
one of the keys does not give any indication at all
of being pressed, and another is flakey.
After taking apart the case and disconnecting the
keyboard, it seems that I have the choice of either
replacing the bad keyswitches (unsoldering carefully
then soldering in new ones) or getting a replacement
keyboard.  But my Apple dealer will not sell me a
replacement keyboard (their contract with Apple will
not allow it, they tell me -- but they would be happy
to repair it for a minimum of $90 plus parts and labor).
So on to the mail order housses -- none have a replacement
keyboard for the //e (][ and ][+ yes, //e no) that I have
found, but they will sell me an external keyboard for
about $200.

Help, please:
	1 - Does anyone know where I can get a replacement
		keyboard to fit in my //e case?
	2 - Does anyone know what kind of keyswitches are
		used in the //e keyboard, in case I have
		to replace them myself (ie. no good answers
		to question #1)?
	3 - Does anyone know why Apple will not sell me a
		replacement keyboard, when all I would have
		to do is plug it in?
Thanks in advance.
			Mark H. Mortensen
			AT&T-Bell Labs
			houu2a!9212mhm

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (10/04/85)

In article <657@hou2a.UUCP> 9212mhm@hou2a.UUCP (M.MORTENSEN) writes:
>My Apple //e keyboard has been giving me trouble --
.
.
.
>           But my Apple dealer will not sell me a
>replacement keyboard
>                               -- none have a replacement
>keyboard for the //e (][ and ][+ yes, //e no) that I have
>found, but they will sell me an external keyboard for
>about $200.
>
>Help, please:
>			Mark H. Mortensen
>			AT&T-Bell Labs
>			houu2a!9212mhm

Mark,
	There is a company which sells stuff, Jamiesco or something like that,
I've got their catalog at home.  They sell everything.  As to your other
questions, I'm having the same problem's buying a powersupply for an apple 2+.
I'll post the address sometime tomorrow.

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

Kyllara :	What did you just do?
Moederan :	I don't know but it's going to be fun...

notes@isucs1.UUCP (10/14/85)

[Bob's Beer]

Mark H. Mortensen [houu2a!9212mhm] sez:

> My Apple //e keyboard has been giving me trouble --
> [...]
> it seems that I have the choice of either
> replacing the bad keyswitches or getting a replacement
> keyboard.  But my Apple dealer will not sell me a
> replacement keyboard (their contract with Apple will
> not allow it, they tell me -- but they would be happy
> to repair it for a minimum of $90 plus parts and labor).

	I would say the your Apple dealer is FULL of it!  You should be
able to purchase ANY parts, boards, etc via your local Apple dealer.
Sounds to me as if your dealer is just RIPPING PEOPLE OFF!  [I should add
that if this _IS_ Apple policy, then I'm sorry -- >ALL< the dealers I have
EVER dealt with will sell parts, swap boards etc to their costumers.]

> 	2 - Does anyone know what kind of keyswitches are
> 		used in the //e keyboard [...]

	In limited experience with fixing keyboard switches I found there
were basicly 3 kinds of Apple Keyboards: The OLD ][ keyboards {the version
with the copper pads that touch when you press a key}, the //e keyboard
{it has 'micro-switches' that are individually replaceable}, and one that
uses slightly different micro-keyswitches.

	These micro-keyswitches are CHEAP.  [read ~$0.45]  To install them
takes no time at all and it's real easy.  I once broke a key-cap stem on
my OLD ][+ keyboard. {The one with the copper pads}  I tore it out and took
it into the local dealer.  Problem was that Apple has not been making parts
for the 'pad' keyboard for quite sometime.  Thus I had to "swap" the keyboard
for a new one.  The cost was ~$50.00.  At the time I swapped by keyboard, I
bought 10 or so keyswitches for the new keyboard -- just in case Apple decided
not to support my new keyboard I had just swapped to get!

/// Dave Shaver  -=*=-  Located at Iowa State University -- Ames, IA
\\\ UUCP: {okstate||umn-cs||csu-cs}!isucs1!shaver   CSNET: shaver@iowa-state