[net.micro.apple] BBS software for sale

aer@alice.UucP (y) (09/27/85)

I have available the T-NET 2.0 (version 2.0h) Electronic Bulletin Board Softwarefor the Apple //. T-NET 2.0 is an extremely powerful and flexible system, which
has been used on many great bulletin boards across the nation, including a
really great one which I had to take down because the owner of the hardware
had better things to do.

System requirements are an Apple //e, possibly a //c, or an Apple ][+ with 64K
and a lowercase chip; a Novation Applecat modem, or a Hayes modem, and at
least two disk drives of online storage, or at least 280K of the equivalent.
A really *great* system requires more than two disk drives, or, better yet,
a hard disk drive, and a 1200 baud modem.

With 1200 baud, the software will autoseek between 0-300/1200 baud rates.
TNET 2.0 is written under ProDOS 1.1.1 (included), and thus uses subdirectories
of your own designation- great for hard disks. The software supports up to
30 message bases, and is easily expandable under Applesoft. Direct author
support and a manual are included.

The software also supports 'Go' modules, program downloads, and 'TP' textfile
downloads. Tedious routines are in machine code, control software in Applesoft.
telephone: 1-201-464-5269, after 3pm EST, ask for Dan
uucp: ihnp4!alice (subject TO DAN)                     /\ BTL, Murray Hill

Hardware and software "for sale" postings are totally
inappropriate.  This is NOT a BBS; it is a newsgroup
that is gatewayed into the Internet, where commercial
solicitation is prohibited.  Please restrain postings
to information exchange.

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (10/07/85)

In article <1845@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>Hardware and software "for sale" postings are totally
>inappropriate.  This is NOT a BBS; it is a newsgroup
>that is gatewayed into the Internet, where commercial
>solicitation is prohibited.  Please restrain postings
>to information exchange.

Doug, kindly go soak your cpu in a lake.  I'm a reader who is intrested
in for sale postings, as I'm trying to put together an AppleII blackbox
system (Bell & Howell).  I read this newsgroup for all information
related to Apple's.  I vote the for sale's stay.  For many people
this is a BBS.

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

Kyllara :	What did you just do?
Moederan :	I don't know but it's going to be fun...

flaps@utcs.uucp (Alan J Rosenthal) (10/13/85)

In article <819@umn-cs.UUCP> goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) writes:
>In article <1845@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>>Hardware and software "for sale" postings are totally
>>inappropriate.  This is NOT a BBS; it is a newsgroup
>>that is gatewayed into the Internet, where commercial
>>solicitation is prohibited.  Please restrain postings
>>to information exchange.
>
>Doug, kindly go soak your cpu in a lake.  I'm a reader who is intrested
>in for sale postings...

I think the idea is that "for sale" postings should not be posted to overseas,
is it not?  (This inference is from the fact that there is a na.forsale group.)
So if you are going to offer software for sale, just restrict the distribution
to na.  Or even less, if appropriate.

> In article <819@umn-cs.UUCP> goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) writes:
> >In article <1845@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
> >>Hardware and software "for sale" postings are totally
> >>inappropriate.  This is NOT a BBS; it is a newsgroup
> >>that is gatewayed into the Internet, where commercial
> >>solicitation is prohibited.  Please restrain postings
> >>to information exchange.
> >
> >Doug, kindly go soak your cpu in a lake.  I'm a reader who is intrested
> >in for sale postings...
>
> I think the idea is that "for sale" postings should not be posted to overseas,
> is it not?  (This inference is from the fact that there is a na.forsale group.)
> So if you are going to offer software for sale, just restrict the distribution
> to na.  Or even less, if appropriate.

No, the idea is that it is forbidden to use the Internet, which is
not a "common carrier", for direct commercial gain.  The taxpayers
are footing the bill for it.  Abuse can cause the loss of access
to the Internet.

Also, there are commercial "for sale" channels, many of which
specialize in listing hobbyist computer systems, often for free.
Why make hundreds of UUCP sites pay telephone bills to help you
make a buck, when there are more appropriate ways to sell things?

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu.ARPA (Ralph Hyre) (10/17/85)

In article <912@utcs.uucp> flaps@utcs.UUCP (Alan J Rosenthal) writes:
>In article <819@umn-cs.UUCP> goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) writes:
>>In article <1845@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>>>Hardware and software "for sale" postings are totally
>>>inappropriate.  This is NOT a BBS; it is a newsgroup
>>>that is gatewayed into the Internet, where commercial
>>>solicitation is prohibited...
>>
>>Doug, kindly go soak your cpu in a lake.  I'm a reader who is intrested
>
>I think the idea is that "for sale" postings should not be posted to overseas

Actually net.micro.apple is no longer gated to info-apple, I for one
wish it was.  Then we'd get some really good flames about 'for sale'
postings, and maybe even some administrative action.
--
				- Ralph
Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu (cmu-cs-c.arpa)

flaps@utcs.uucp (Alan J Rosenthal) (10/19/85)

In article <2178@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>> I think the idea is that "for sale" postings should not be posted to overseas,
>> is it not?  (This inference is from the fact that there is a na.forsale group.)
>> So if you are going to offer software for sale, just restrict the distribution
>> to na.  Or even less, if appropriate.
>
>No, the idea is that it is forbidden to use the Internet, which is
>not a "common carrier", for direct commercial gain.  The taxpayers
>are footing the bill for it.  Abuse can cause the loss of access
>to the Internet.

What precisely out of this large usenet network is the "Internet"?  And why are
there no objections to the forsale newsgroup then, which is used exclusively
for direct commercial gain?
I am being serious not sarcastic, I have nothing to sell personally so it is
an academic question for me.

		Signed,
			Confused.

The DOD Internet is the largest real network.
Its only relation to Usenet lies in the gatewaying
of traffic between the two.  Someone pointed out
that net.micro.apple is no longer gatewayed to
the INFO-APPLE Internet mailing list; I don't
know why it was dropped (maybe because of such
commercial postings).

There is still the moral and practical point that
netnews postings are relayed by telephone among
zillions of sites, which must pay the phone bills.
Several of the large backbone sites have dropped
netnews or are starting to impose restrictions on
it, due to the system load and communication
expense.  Under these circumstances, it is
inappropriate to clutter technical newsgroups
with commercial advertisements.

Usenet has no equivalent of the Internet traffic
monitors, so is reliant on the cooperation and
common sense of its users.  Some of us are
skeptical about its long-term viability..