[net.micro.apple] Sider hard drive **spoiler** :-)

cs2551ao@unmc.UUCP (10/26/85)

In article <> ejb@think.UUCP (Erik Bailey) writes:
>In article <9800012@uiucuxa> spk256@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:
>>
>>  Hi everyone...Listen, I just got through looking at the
>>latest issue of Incider, and First Class Peripherals has
>>dropped the price of the 10 megabyte hard drive "Sider"
>>to $595!!!  This makes it only $96 more expensive than the
>>new Unidisk 3.5! Here's your choice: an 800k drive for $499,
>>or a 10 meg drive for $595....
>>
>Unless I'm completely mistaken, The Sider is a piece of junk. I read
>lot's of letters on an Info-Apple net (don't remember the name...), and
>all of it was VERY negative. There were many complaints of the drive
>crashing minutes after it was installed, making funny sounds (grinding)
>and other nasty stuff. Although the product is advertised as a well-made
>product, how can one trust a hard drive for only $595?

I didn't see the ad, but I thought the price was $695 + p&h.
Anyway, I have a coupla friends with siders and they like them.
Also, I've read reviews of them (A+, don't remember the other) that
were pretty good.  The best way to make up your mind is decide whether you
want to deal with a mail-order only company.  Cheap, but returns are slow.

I also heard that the support for them is good from the company, i.e. quick
replies to the questions you ask.

 					dave

% ps -a ; let's hear from those that do have siders.

moore@mit-eddie.UUCP (Andrew M. Moore) (11/02/85)

   I might as well put in my two cents worth about the Sider.  I bought
one in July 1985 -- I've had it for about 5 months now, and have yet to
see a single flaw.  I have had no errors in either DOS or CP/M.  The
drive is relatively fast, and I see no problems with it.  I would like
to hear from some of the people who claim that the drive "is a piece of
junk", how about some evidence?  I will certainly admit that it is not
THE BEST -- but think about it:  Is it possible to have "THE BEST"?
Certainly not when technology keeps progressing; the best keeps getting
cut down by something better.  To whoever it was who posted the message
stating that the "Unidisk" has "better" (forgive me if this is not the
correct wording):  In a few months, a couple years at most, your Unidisk
will be as worthless as you seem to think the Sider is.  I.e., be on the
lookout for CD-ROMS.  We're talking gigabytes on a 12-inch disk.

   I'm using an ancient II+ under DOS and CP/M.  It does what I need;  so
what if I don't have the best hard drive?  I'm content with the Sider.  No
problems, I'm not complaining.  Not the best, but good enough for me, es-
pecially for $695  (now $595 for a limited time I believe).

   This is not a flame.  Sort of.  Someone wanted input from Sider owners;
that's that I am providing.

-drew