[net.micro.apple] Data Protocol Question

terry2@ihlpm.UUCP (t. nelson) (10/30/85)

  I use the Apple Access II software for my communication needs.
Up until recently those needs have only been to communicate
from home to the main-frame computer at work.  When I want to
download a file into my apple, I open a recording file in Access
II and tell the main frame to concatenate (cat in UNIX) the file.
I am now exploring the world of Bulletin Boards.  Most seem to
use various forms of data exchange protocol like XMODEM or
XMODEM/CRC.  Access II uses Christensen (sp?) protocol.  I have
been told that XMODEM and Christensen protocols are the same.
Is this true?  What's the difference between XMODEM, XMODEM/CRC
and some other popular protocols?  I have used Christensen protocol
between two Apples and it works fine (slow but fine).

          Thanks in advance.

--

..ihnp4!ihlpm!terry2   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-   "All this is
                       |      Terry Nelson      |   because of me
      Keep             | AT&T Bell Laboratories |   and not my
       It              |  Naperville, Illinois  |   employer!"
        Warm           =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

flaps@utcs.uucp (Alan J Rosenthal) (10/31/85)

In article <557@ihlpm.UUCP> terry2@ihlpm.UUCP (t. nelson) writes:
>I am now exploring the world of Bulletin Boards.  Most seem to
>use various forms of data exchange protocol like XMODEM or
>XMODEM/CRC.  Access II uses Christensen (sp?) protocol.  I have
>been told that XMODEM and Christensen protocols are the same.
>Is this true?  What's the difference between XMODEM, XMODEM/CRC
>and some other popular protocols?

XMODEM describes how each individual block is sent.  Ward Christensen
is XMODEM protocol with a particular description of block 0, and the
fact that the other blocks are data blocks.
I will post a (technical) description of the protocol if requested.

CRC stands for Cyclic Redundancy Check.  It is a complex form of checksum.
I would assume that XMODEM/CRC is just an XMODEM that outputs the CRC after
transmission.

Alan J Rosenthal
{ihnp4|allegra|linus|decvax}!utzoo!utcs!flaps, cbosgd!utcs!flaps

spk256@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (11/01/85)

Ok, here it is: Ward Christensen wrote the XMODEM protocol with CRC
checking...(Cyclic redundancy check), so that I beleive that all of
the protocols you just mentioned are the same.

Christiansen=XMODEM=XMODEM/CRC

How's that?

   <<<<Whop!>>>>
   Benjy Mouse

jimv@apollo.uucp (James Vienneau) (11/06/85)

>>I am now exploring the world of Bulletin Boards.  Most seem to
>>use various forms of data exchange protocol like XMODEM or
>>XMODEM/CRC.  Access II uses Christensen (sp?) protocol.  I have
>>been told that XMODEM and Christensen protocols are the same.
>>Is this true?  What's the difference between XMODEM, XMODEM/CRC
>>and some other popular protocols?

>XMODEM describes how each individual block is sent.  Ward Christensen
>is XMODEM protocol with a particular description of block 0, and the
>fact that the other blocks are data blocks.
>I will post a (technical) description of the protocol if requested.

I for one would be very interested in a technical discription/discussion
of the transfer protocols. Since I have designed and built the hardware
as well as written the driver for my serial port, I would like to take this
the final step. Any help would be appreciated.