[net.micro.apple] Data Protocol Question/80-col vid.

heffner@bsdpkh.UUCP (Paul K Heffner) (11/08/85)

   Benjy Mouse writes:

> Ok, here it is: Ward Christensen wrote the XMODEM protocol with CRC
> checking...(Cyclic redundancy check), so that I beleive that all of
> the protocols you just mentioned are the same.
>
> Christiansen=XMODEM=XMODEM/CRC
>
> How's that?

	That's pretty close... Actually the baseline Christiansen protocol
    only checks for transmission errors with a raw checksum. (Add all
    the characters in the 128 byte buffer up in a 16-bit register tossing
    out any carries.. the result is your checksum). CRC checking was added
    sho