[net.micro.apple] vt52 emu... actually the DAK 1200 modem

c160-3ay@ucbzooey.BERKELEY.EDU (Ziggy Stardust and the Supremes) (11/12/85)

In article <272@ucdavis.UUCP> ccs007@ucdavis.UUCP (0058) writes:

>Also..DAL corporation (or something like that...warning...this is
>from memory) is offering a hayes-compatible 1200 baud modem
>for $159...can anyone verify or comment on this?
>
>Thanks,
>Gary Huckabay.
>!ucbvax!ucdavis!deneb!ccs007

I just happened to get one of their catalogs recently... DAK Inc., which
sells electronic gadgets, has a Hayes Compatible 1200 baud modem for
$169 + $6 P&H.  From their description:

	...ADC is a division of BSR, the enormous half-billion dollar electronics
	giant... [i.e. no fly-by-night operation]

	...I just unplugged [my Hayes 1200] and plugged ADC's... the only
	differences I noted were improved monitor sound, more screen displays,
	and a help menu...

	...ADC's modem recognizes a busy signal, hangs up, and keeps retrying
	the number every 30 seconds... [very useful... I think Hayes does not
	do this] ...waits for dial tones and network tones during auto-dial...

Of course I have not tried it.  I cannot vouch for this modem, but it's a
great price, and DAK _seems_ to be a reputable company.  The autoredial
is very nice (I use a prometheus- cost twice as much, !"#$# :-)).  If
anyone buys one, it would probably be nice to review it on the net.

	They also offer cable sets and communications programs, and serial
cards for apple II series.  ($30 for cable & program, $99 for serial card.)

DAK is at 1-800-325-0800.  8200 Remmet Ave., College Park, CA 91304.
I believe they have a 30-day satisfaction-guarantee.

Hope this helps those of you whoh have been limping along at 300 baud
for lack of funds...

....Ranjit Bhatnagar

p.s. I have nothing to do with DAK or ADC, nor have I used any of their
products.  This message for informational purposes only.  All rights
reserved.  Tresspassers will be prosecuted.  Long live the revolution.