[net.micro.apple] trace/ss an appleII+ ?

jimv@apollo.uucp (James Vienneau) (11/14/85)

Does anyone know of a way to trace or single step an AppleII+ from the monitor? It would seem
that a routine could be written to perform this feat. Please let me know if you have experience
with this or can offer any suggestions.

goldste@uthub.UUCP (Jack Goldstein) (11/19/85)

> Does anyone know of a way to trace or single step an AppleII+ from
> the monitor?

The old monitor ROM included this feature.  If you know someone with an
old reference manual, you can copy the program (the part that's not
included in the autostart ROM is not all that big).  If someone has
done this already, they may want to post it to the net (if that
doesn't break any copyright laws).

  Jack Goldstein
  {decvax,allegra,ihnp4,linus,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsri!uthub!goldste

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (11/19/85)

>Does anyone know of a way to trace or single step an AppleII+ from the monitor? It would seem
>that a routine could be written to perform this feat. Please let me know if you have experience
>with this or can offer any suggestions.

A routine to do this has already been written, in fact, I am certain
you have it in your library.  Where???  Why right on your DOS 3.3
system master.  It is loaded automatically along with Integer Basic
when the disk is booted.  (You need to have a 16k language card in
slot 0)  Just type INT to get into Integer basic, call -151, and the
commands will be present.  The 'S' command (optionally preceded by an
address) will single step a program, the 'T' command will do a trace.
You can find more information on page 52 of the old Apple II reference
manual that came with your II plus.  By the way, this info also
applies to Apple IIe's and Apple IIc's.  Those with old Apple IIs with
integer in ROM have it even easier-- they have these routines present
as soon as they power up their machines.  In case you're curious, the
trace and step commands were deleted from the monitor ROM to make
room for Applesoft, since Applesoft is much bigger than integer.
Hope this helps.

Ben Broder
..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
..ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben

kenyon@nmtvax.UUCP (11/24/85)

In article <> ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:
>..  In case you're curious, the
>trace and step commands were deleted from the monitor ROM to make
>room for Applesoft, since Applesoft is much bigger than integer.
>Hope this helps.
>
>Ben Broder

If I remember correctly, Trace and Step were taken out of the F8 ROM to
make room for the Autostart capabilities of the II+.

(Just a piece of history of an ancient and obsolete machine.  I just
hope that mine keeps running until I get out of college.            :-)
--

Robert Kenyon
...ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!kenyon

Your father was a mother and your hamster smells of eldeberries!