[net.micro.apple] prodos on an apple ][+

jimv@apollo.uucp (James Vienneau) (11/19/85)

Ok, I know this is probably an old question that was discussed long ago.
But it is only now that I have some friends running PRODOS, that I
would like to be able to. DOS 3.3 always served me well and I use CP/M
most of the time anyway. So, if you know the answer and could take a
minute to send it, I would appreciate it.

josh@ism70.UUCP (11/21/85)

response to ][+ question.....answer is no a very positive no only
][e and ][c can operate prodos your friend will have to settle
for good old dos 3.3 any other questions on prodos let me know

jtjones@tetra.UUCP (Jeffrey T. Jones) (11/22/85)

>But it is only now that I have some friends running PRODOS, that I
>would like to be able to. DOS 3.3 always served me well and I use CP/M
>most of the time anyway. So, if you know the answer and could take a
>minute to send it, I would appreciate it.

Get yourself a 16K ramcard (if you haven't one already) and boot it up.
That's all there is to it.

I know for a fact that ProDOS 1.0.1 works on a ][+ w/ 64K (that's what I got).
I'm not sure about 1.0.2 because I don't think I bothered getting the update
yet.  Some disks might not work however, like the //c System Utilities disk.
I think that only works on //c's and enhanced //e's.  Bye.............

--
Any opinions expressed above are soley my own and have NO connection with the
thoughts of NOSC, NAVELEX, or the U.S. Government to the above subject.

jtjones@tetra.UUCP (Jeffrey T. Jones) (11/22/85)

Ps.  I was looking around on my hard disk and lo and behold I saw the filename
'PRODOS.PAT'.  Hmm, what could that be I said.  Let's look...

> Date: 16 Oct 85 19:05:00 GMT
>
>    There is an easier and cheaper way to run PRODOS on the //+.  Just do
> a little disk doctoring so that the check for a //e finds one no matter
> what type of computer you are working on.
>    I have normally used this patch for my Franklin to run ProDOS but
> it also works with the //+.
>
>     1) Read Track 1, Sector 9 with a sector editor (Zap/CIA/....)
>     2) Change the values at locations $0B,$0C to EA's.
>     3) Boot and Enjoy.
>
>    If you have any problems let me know here on the net.  I put this
> patch up from memory and it may be incorrect so make a backupt first.
>
>                               Leonard Rosenthol

Hmm.  Maybe tha's how I could use the //c System Utilities disk.  But alas,
it probably uses 128K anyway.  Oh well.  Hope this helps.

--

sorensen@amdcad.UUCP (Tim Olson) (11/24/85)

In article <11700007@ism70.UUCP>, josh@ism70.UUCP writes:

> response to ][+ question.....answer is no a very positive no only
> ][e and ][c can operate prodos your friend will have to settle
> for good old dos 3.3 any other questions on prodos let me know

Oh.. I guess I'll have to quit using Prodos on my old Apple ][ :-)
Really, Prodos can be used on Apple ]['s and ][+'s with "Language
Cards" (16K Ram cards).  However, since Apple ]['s have Integer
Basic in ROM, and Prodos only supports Applesoft Basic, Apple ]['s
(not ][+'s) running Prodos cannot support Basic (no great loss ;-).
I have been using EDASM under Prodos for quite a while now, and am
pleased with it.

	Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices

	ihnp4!amdcad!sorensen

jtjones@tetra.UUCP (Jeffrey T. Jones) (11/26/85)

In article <11700007@ism70.UUCP> josh@ism70.UUCP writes:

>response to ][+ question.....answer is no a very positive no only
>][e and ][c can operate prodos your friend will have to settle
>for good old dos 3.3 any other questions on prodos let me know

HORSE FEATHERS!!!  As I already stated in a previous message to the net,
I AM running ProDOS on my ][+ w/64K!!  Or actually I can run it.  (I still
prefer DOS 3.3)

Please don't spread misinformation.  It's tough enough for a person when
they ask a question like this, and then get two totally conflicting answers.

--

33500911@sdcc13.UUCP ({|lit}) (11/27/85)

In article <115@tetra.UUCP> jtjones@tetra.UUCP (Jeffrey T. Jones) writes:

>> response to ][+ question.....answer is no a very positive no only
>> ][e and ][c can operate prodos your friend will have to settle
>> for good old dos 3.3 any other questions on prodos let me know
>
> HORSE FEATHERS!!!  As I already stated in a previous message to the net,
> I AM running ProDOS on my ][+ w/64K!!  Or actually I can run it.  (I still
> prefer DOS 3.3)

As a side note:

	I'm running the latest version of ProDOS on my Apple
][. (Serial number 18033, circa 1978) It works fine.  No problems
whatsoever. (That is if you have a 16K ramcard & Applesoft)

The above needs to be said more than once:

> Please don't spread misinformation.  It's tough enough for a person when
> they ask a question like this, and then get two totally conflicting answers.

--
					- Jim Hayes

UUCP:    {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax, etc.}!sdcsvax!sdcc13
ARPA:    33500911%sdcc13@SDCSVAX.ACC.EDU

"A scientist must also be absolutly like a child.  If he sees a
thing, he must say that he sees it, whether it was what he thought
he was going to see or not.  See first, think later, then test.  But
always see first.  Otherwise you will only see what you were
expecting.  Most scientists forget that." -- John Watson

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (11/27/85)

In article <11700007@ism70.UUCP> josh@ism70.UUCP writes:

>response to ][+ question.....answer is no a very positive no only
>][e and ][c can operate prodos your friend will have to settle
>for good old dos 3.3 any other questions on prodos let me know

INCORRECT!!!!

I can run MousePaint on my ][+, and MousePaint is a ProDOS program.
Even dealers are confused about this, it seems.

Now there are some programs, like GATO (submarine simulation) that
make use of the auxiliary 64K memory available on the //e & //c,
but ProDOS does not require this extra memory or double-hires,
so it WILL run on a 64K ][+.

					- Ralph

sdp@scbhq.UUCP (11/27/85)

> response to ][+ question.....answer is no, a very positive no, only
> ][e and ][c can operate prodos. Your friend will have to settle
> for good old DOS 3.3 any other questions on prodos let me know

I purchased a copy of ProDos from my Apple dealer, for about $50.
And it runs just fine on my Apple ][+.

ProDos is designed to run in a pure Apple ][+, it will not boot in
an Apple that has had modifyed proms added.
In the PROM, my version of ProDos 1.0.1 looks for the words
"Apple ][", and in the disk drive it looks for a bit pattern in the
drive controller card to make sure it is an Apple card.
While looking at the disk controller it  determins if there is a ProFile
 or if it is a 5 1/2" disk drive.

ProDos can be modifyed to boot on just about anything.........
Once I brought it up on my Apple ][+ I modifyed it to run on
my Franklin and on my AVT-2, both of which run Apple Software.

So the answer that ProDos can only run on (in) a ][e or ][c is false!

				Stephen Powers
				Ziggy BBS
				205-991-5696

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (12/03/85)

In article <226@scbhq.UUCP> sdp@scbhq.UUCP writes:
>In the PROM, my version of ProDos 1.0.1 looks for the words
>"Apple ][", and in the disk drive it looks for a bit pattern in the
>drive controller card to make sure it is an Apple card.
>While looking at the disk controller it  determins if there is a ProFile
> or if it is a 5 1/2" disk drive.

I have booted ProDos on non-Apple disk controller cards, so part of this
claim is untrue.  I suspect ProDos is just trying to figure out whether
it has a disk controller, and if so, what type.
--
Dave Seaman	  {decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|seismo|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!ags