[net.micro.apple] Booting ProDOS on an APPLE ][+

binder@dosadi.DEC (No matter where you go, there you are.) (12/09/85)

Subject: Re: Re: prodos on an apple ][+ (old question

Another revisiting of this issue...

>> In the PROM, my version of ProDos 1.0.1 looks for the words
>> "Apple ][", and in the disk drive it looks for a bit pattern in the
>> drive controller card to make sure it is an Apple card.
			  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> While looking at the disk controller it  determins if there is a ProFile
>> or if it is a 5 1/2" disk drive.

> I have booted ProDos on non-Apple disk controller cards, so part of this
> claim is untrue.  I suspect ProDos is just trying to figure out whether
> it has a disk controller, and if so, what type.

Dunno about the disk card check, as mine is an Apple.  But the test for
modified ROMs is indeed probably restricted to a test for the wprd "APPLE" in
the right place; my motherboard's ROMs have been modified to eliminate the
lowercase foldover.  The first pass I made had "APPLE ][" changed, and ProDOS
wouldn't boot.  I changed that text back, and ProDOS came up.

Cheers,
Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

UUCP:  { decvax, allegra, ucbvax... }!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-dosadi!binder
ARPA:  binder%dosadi.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

Mon 9-Dec-1985 08:55 Eastern Standard Time

sorensen@amdcad.UUCP (Tim Olson) (12/11/85)

|| In the PROM, my version of ProDos 1.0.1 looks for the words
|| "Apple ][", and in the disk drive it looks for a bit pattern in the
|| drive controller card to make sure it is an Apple card.

| Dunno about the disk card check, as mine is an Apple.  But the test for
| modified ROMs is indeed probably restricted to a test for the wprd "APPLE" in
| the right place; my motherboard's ROMs have been modified to eliminate the
| lowercase foldover.  The first pass I made had "APPLE ][" changed, and ProDOS
| wouldn't boot.  I changed that text back, and ProDOS came up.
|
| Cheers,
| Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

	Except that ProDOS boots on my Apple ][ (no '+'), which does not
contain the autostart ROM with the "APPLE ][" banner.  It does know that
my machine is a ][ instead of a ][+, so the check may just be to see what
type of apple it is booting on (][, ][+, //e, //c, ...) which all have
differences in their ROMs.

	Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices
	inhp4!amdcad!sorensen