[net.micro.apple] Double Hi-Resolution Graphics on IIe

gordon@alberta.UUCP (Gordon Atwood) (01/06/86)

Some time ago I posted a request for information on the use of double
hi-resolution graphics with the Apple IIe.  The response was overwhelmingly
non-existant.

Over the Xmas holiday I devoted several hours investigation to the soft-switchesindicated by my IIe Reference Manual.  They did not elicit the desired

Has anyone out there examined this supposed feature?  Can anyone explain how
to use it, either from Basic, or Machine Language level.  Does anyone know
if certain models of IIe might be lacking this feature?  Can anyone recommend
an article, text, person, which/who can supply this information?

Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

G.H.A.

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (01/08/86)

In article <771@alberta.UUCP> gordon@alberta.UUCP (Gordon Atwood) writes:
> Some time ago I posted a request for information on the use of double
> hi-resolution graphics with the Apple IIe.  The response was overwhelmingly
> non-existant.

That's typical.

> Has anyone out there examined this supposed feature?  Can anyone explain how
> to use it, either from Basic, or Machine Language level.  Does anyone know
> if certain models of IIe might be lacking this feature?  Can anyone recommend
> an article, text, person, which/who can supply this information?
>
> Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
> G.H.A.

Well, you asked for any assistance, so I will offer up what little I know.

To use double hi-res on a ][e you need to have the following:
    an 80 column card with 64K of additional memory (apple compatable)
    a rev B motherboard
    a jumper

The revision notice is (I think) printed in the back behind the slots.  The
rev B board has been standard for at least a year, probably two.  I think
you can get a free upgrade if you don't have it.

The jumper has to go on the 80 column card, connecting two posts on the
right-hand keyboard side.  I'm a little vague on this, I don't have my apple
here and it has been a while since I did it.  Any kind of wiring between the
two posts will do.  I don't know whether this is done for you on the newer
versions of the 80-column card.

Once you have made sure that all of the above is done you can use the 80
column features.  The addressing is a real pain, since every other dot is
on the other bank of memory.  I know that Nybble magazine had a flurry
of sample programs that did it soon after it was announced, so you might
want to try and dig them up.  I've also seen (I don't remember where)
an ad for some ampersand routines that mimiced the standard apple
graphics calls but worked with hires.

As a side note, since the bank switching really slows down loading files
into memory some graphics programs (The Complete Graphics System
from Penquin Software in particular) save double hi-res pictures as
two seperate files, one for the foreground memory and one for the
background.

You can also use some of the extra memory for a ram disk.  This is
done automatically in ProDos and Nybble published a ram-disk
for Dos a while back that works quite nicely.

Hope that helps some.

                                                      Kee Hinckley
                                         ...decvax!wanginst!apollo!nazgul
--
    Little Bo-Peep
    Has lost her sheep,

                        "A Space Child's Mother Goose"

owen@dg_rtp.UUCP (01/09/86)

> Some time ago I posted a request for information on the use of double
> hi-resolution graphics with the Apple IIe.

> the soft-switches indicated by my IIe Reference Manual.  They did not
> elicit the desired responses.  The manual is unclear ...

	I tried using the soft switches listed in the Microsoft manual
that came with the Premium Softcard IIe I'm using.  They also failed to put
double hi-res graphics on my screen.

> Has anyone out there examined this supposed feature?

	Yes, I've sure tried!

> Can anyone explain how to use it, either from Basic, or Machine level?

	No, and I'm getting upset.

> Does anyone know if certain models of IIe might be lacking this feature?
> Can anyone recommend an article, text, person, which/who can supply this
> information?

	I seem to recall that "revision A" motherboards don't support double
hi-res according to the Microsoft manuals.  Maybe if I compare the stuff in
the IIe reference manual (I didn't realize it was there) ...

	I, too, would appreciate any help any kind soul would care to give.

> G.H.A.

						Karl M. Owen

--

				Karl M. Owen
				Data General, RTP, NC

balon@eneevax.UUCP (Kevin G. Balon) (01/10/86)

Double Hires is tricky to do.  The best software I have found to use it is
BEAGLE GRAPHICS.  Also, refer to Apple's  'Extended 80-Column Text Card
Supplement' for the use of the soft-switches. Trying to do it in BASIC is
much to slow.
BEAGLE GRAPHICS adds commands to BASIC to use in your own programs.

Nonetheless, here's a copy of an early program I wrote to use double hires
graphics on an Apple //e (Rev. B); it displays a sign wave:
I hope this helps out.

(By the way, I have no connection with BEAGLE SOFTWARE or APPLE; I am just an
 enthusiastic apple computer user)

************

100  GOSUB 4010: REM  Initialize
110  HCOLOR= 3
120  FOR X = 0 TO 559 STEP .25
140 :Y = 40 *  SIN (X / 10) + 80
160 : GOSUB 5010: REM  plot it
180  NEXT X
200  END
3999  STOP
4000  REM    ****************** INITIALIZATION *********************
4010 D$ =  CHR$ (4)
4020  PRINT D$;"PR#3"
4025  HGR : REM  Clear half the hires screen also
4030  POKE  - 16300,0: REM Stay in page 1 graphics
4040  POKE  - 16371,0: POKE  - 16384,0: REM   Turn on card and enble 80STORE
4050  POKE  - 16290,0: REM  Turn on AN3 (enable double res graphics)
4060  POKE  - 16297,0: POKE  - 16304,0: REM    Enable HIRES graphics and dispay it
4065  HCOLOR= 0: REM  This For/Next loop clear other half of screen
4070  FOR Y = 0 TO 191
4080  POKE  - 16383,0: POKE  - 16299,0: REM   Access Hires Page 1x in Auxiliary RAM
4090  HPLOT 0,Y TO 279,Y
4100  NEXT Y
4110  POKE  - 16384,0: REM  Access Hires Page 1 in main RAM
4120  RETURN
4999  STOP
5000  REM  *************** Double Res Plotting Subroutine *************
5010  IF X > 559 THEN  RETURN
5020 COLUMN =  INT (X / 7)
5030 AUXFLAG = (COLUMN = 2 *  INT (COLUMN / 2))
5050 XREL = X - 7 * COLUMN
5060 FIRST = (COLUMN -  NOT AUX) * 3.5
5070 XPLT = FIRST + XREL
5080  POKE  - 16383,0: POKE AUXFLAG - 16300,0: REM  Enable 80STORE and select bank
5090  HPLOT XPLT,Y
5100  RETURN