[net.micro.apple] Double Hi-res graphics, confirmation

gordon@alberta.UUCP (Gordon Atwood) (01/13/86)

A few weeks ago I posted a request for information about the double
hi-resolution graphics.  I received varied response.  Here is the result.

1)  A highly recommended article is in Softalk Magazine.  July or Sept 1983
  issue.  One of the first things described in it is the exact Machine level
  instructions which activate the double-hi-res.

    a)  The article claims that a Rev-B motherboard is needed, and that the
      extended 80-col card must be jumpered.  This is not true.

        I have both of these and the sequence of instructions fail to work.

        A demo at a comp. store, with a Rev-A motherboard, a Rev-B 80 ext.
      col. card (jumpered), DID work.

        MORAL:  There is more to this than just revision numbers.

        My dealer, however, offers slightly modified computers, and is
      currently checking to see why my particular computer fails.  (Another
      demo, in this dealers store, does work.  I may simply have a defective
      soft switch.

    b)  I have not checked the article for additional accuracy, since I don't
      have the time to sit at a demo in a store.

2)  There is no 2.

Thank-you for the response.

G.H.A.

friedman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU ( -Gadi ) (01/16/86)

There is a mother board revision that is later that B.
I don't remember the number, but it was higher than that
of the revision B and the letter was 'A'.  The computer itself
bought as an enhanced iie, not upgraded by the user.

                            -Gadi
                          friedman@topaz.uucp

jrw@hropus.UUCP (James R. Webb) (01/19/86)

> There is a mother board revision that is later that B.
> I don't remember the number, but it was higher than that
> of the revision B and the letter was 'A'.  The computer itself
> bought as an enhanced iie, not upgraded by the user.
>
>                             -Gadi
>                           friedman@topaz.uucp

Yes, Apple released an enhanced //e soon after the //c came on the
seen.  This enhanced //e had the "mouse-text" characters in the
character ROM. I think it also got the //c's better interrupt support
as well, but I cannot be certain.  The only real revision here was
the replacement of some ROM chips, so, those with older //e's can
upgrade to this revision by taking their computers back to their
dealer.
--
James R. Webb                                   ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jrw

paulb@ttidcc.UUCP (Paul Blumstein) (01/22/86)

>Yes, Apple released an enhanced //e soon after the //c came on the
>seen.  This enhanced //e had the "mouse-text" characters in the
>character ROM. I think it also got the //c's better interrupt support
>as well, but I cannot be certain.  The only real revision here was
>the replacement of some ROM chips, so, those with older //e's can
>upgrade to this revision by taking their computers back to their
>dealer.
>--
>James R. Webb                                   ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jrw

CAREFULL!!!  If you upgrade, be aware that some of the older Apple
software may no longer work!!!!  Currently, only Supercalc 3A requires
the upgrade.  There is no good reason to upgrade--at least not yet.
If you want to experiment, hand the $70 over to your dealer & talk them
into giving you the upgrade kit (which includes instructions) instead
of letting them do it.  Most/Many dealers will be happy to do it since
the $70 includes the labor.  Your benefit: you get to keep your 6502
and the old ROM.  This way, if your favorite program(s) stop working
you have a fallback.  If the dealer does it, they are specifically
instructed not to give back the replaced parts!
--
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Paul Blumstein                                 "I deny this reality!"

des@druhi.UUCP (SalyerDE) (01/24/86)

In reference to the Apple //e upgrade, Paul Blumstein writes:

> software may no longer work!!!!  Currently, only Supercalc 3A requires
> the upgrade.  There is no good reason to upgrade--at least not yet.

	I beg to differ with you, but there are several reasons to upgrade
to the enhanced //e roms (and processor, by the way - 65C02).  First,
there have been several bugs fixed, smoother 80-column scrolling, proper
recovery from switching from 80-column to printer and back again, as well
as being able to run the //c software that uses the expanded instruction
set of the 65C02.  Also I believe that interrupt handling is better now.
Also included is the mini-assembler which was left out of earlier versions
of the //e.

	On compatibility, the only programs which will not work are the
ones which use undocumented locations in the ROM code, or those which used
the set of characters which are now mouse characters.  I have a lot of
software and have not had any problems with the upgrade.

	I recommend getting the upgrade, specifically for the 80-column
fixes, it's nice to see smooth scrolling again.

	By the way, don't any of you out there read Nibble Magazine,
or belong to A.P.P.L.E-Coop (to receive Call-A.P.P.L.E.)?  These
publications are a storehouse of valuable information, and most of what
I have said was in these magazines.  Try them you'll like them.

	Real Life:	Dale Salyer (Programmer)
	E-Mail Address:	ihnp4!druhi!des
	U.S. Mail:	AT&T Info. Systems Laboratories
			Rm. 8Z326
			Denver, CO 80229
			(303) - 538-4907