[net.micro.apple] what good is Sybex?

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (02/03/86)

In article <500@eneevax.UUCP>, hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) writes:
> From my own attempts to learn 6502 many years ago, I find it amusing that a
> Rodnay Zaks (that's right, Rodnay) book could be highly recommended.  The
> first editions of this book were a complete farce, to say the least.  Zak's
> writing style didn't improve through any of the other books of his that I
> read, and come to think of it, Sybex in general produced a remarkable volume
> of garbage. It's been 5 or so years since I learned 6502, and about a year and
> a half since I stopped following computer books, so this may have changed.

I doubt it's changed.  I know some people who used to write for Zaks
and I heard he screwed them over several ways -- putting his name on
the books, not paying them, etc.  I'm surprised Sybex has lasted this
long.  *You too* can contribute to its demise and make the world a better
place, by a simple act of non-commerce.
--
# I resisted cluttering my mail with signatures for years, but the mail relay
# situation has gotten to where people can't reach me without it.  Dammit!